Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

B-Rock452 posted:

I was kind of enjoying it then there was a scene near the end that completely turned me off from the movie and I ended up not liking it. Had a ton of potential but overall not great.

Which scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I got the sense that the extreme shallow focus was a deliberate choice. It's mostly present in the fight scenes in the first half of the film, when he's fighting primarily out of a selfish desire for revenge. In the second half, after he's found community and explored his roots, the framing opens up.

Tbh the only part that I found difficult to follow was some of the cuts to first person during the chase sequence, I thought it was pretty well handled all over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MokBa posted:

things like the sequence where they steal the wallet and it passes through like 20 different hands ended up being kind of laughably silly — and I’m not sure whether that was intentional.

I did think that was very long when I was watching it, but it's a very artfully made set piece and once I got to the end of the film I got a better sense of how it underlined the themes of the film. The idea being that there's a large community of people within the city that Dev Patel could be in communication with, but he's so myopically focused on his own personal goals that he can only see them as a means to an end. Much like the dog that he uses to bring him the gun and then abandons, or the middle manager whose loyalty he uses and then... basically forgets about.

I thought that character was a big loose end tbh, though it was nice that they showed him alive after the manhunt even though he's now a wanted fugitive.