Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The villainess is really cool and has some sweet action scenes. Not perfect, but well worth watching. Spoilery thoughts: i think it kinda blows by the more interesting premise of the all girl assassin academy to deal with the plot twisty lover revenge story. It does one of my least favorite first person view things of having the main character hold her gun up right in front of her face to reload which looka unnatural. Due to the culture setting there is a lot of knife fighting which is a neat twist on the wickian gunfighting and hand to hand though i feel like should be way more dangerous. The bus fight at the end is awesome but has some shoddy green screen.
The bitchy cadet who ends up dying at the end was a great character. I wasnt feeling the whole minder marriage thing and then blowing them up.

In the end i guess im not sure about the main plot having the girls husband be the dad murderer and to what end also i guess that makes the dude like 20 years older than the main lady which is ew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i hope it gets more and more mythological and if tom ever hands the franchise off the new person will take on the name ethan hunt. "there will always be a mission, there must always be a hunt"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I saw Peppermint. Spoiler thoughts, this'll be jumbled because I just got out of the theater overall I give it like a B- or a C+: Garner is a believable vigilante physically as she is no stranger to action roles, but the movie essentially glosses over her 5 year transformation into a one woman army, which is fine, but maybe spending more time on that and less time on the 3rd act would have been better. There is 1 really good shoot out scene, the other big one isnt very good for the following reason. The film is reaaaaaaaaaaally sterile which is odd when the hero is pump shottying dudes in the chest at point blank. Theres hardly any blood or squibs (they might be using CGI for the impacts?), and theres no real gore associated with the shooting. Garner herself gets roughed up good but thats it. There is not much in the way of reloading (she reloads a pistol once in the entire film), playing with ammo counts, or creative use of the weapons to build out the scenes. The first major fight scene takes place in a pinata factory and folks, I gotta say, they didn't utilize the pinatas very well at all. And that was the good shoot out! No goons are there blasting away at pinatas, theres no shotgun shooting through a pinata to kill a bad guy. Garner doesn't string up a goon like a pinata and hit him with a bat. WASTED POTENTIAL. The other big shootout happens at the bad guys house and its just pretty meh, garner sneaking around shooting people once with a suppressed rifle she never reloads, didn't care for it.

Theres a pretty stupid & pointless plot twist which also hinges on spending a lot of screen time with a secondary cop character that I didnt care for. Really the biggest issue is that the movie dispatches all of the people responsible for her family getting whacked and the killers going free in the first 15 minutes. She kills the shooters OFF SCREEN (outside of 1 guy), as well as 2 of the corrupt law dudes. The movie's focus is then on Garner going after the one who ultimately ordered the hit, which is fine, but a better movie would have focused more on the people directly responsible (setup by the court room scene where all her future targets could be in the same room). This glosses over all of them despite the court scene being really good and is just whatever.

There is a second stupid subplot about her being a vigilante and the city & social media getting behind her. This is played for laughs twice, and they were good laughs. Once where she stops a bad dad in a liquor store and demands he turns his life around and once where a black dude is on the news and tells the bad guys she is still alive and PISSED. The movie didn't seem to really know what angle it wanted to take playing her up as the guardian angel of some skidrow type slum. In the end by not focusing either way (is she stopping petty crime from happening or is she out for revenge?) the film ends up disjointed.

I'm wondering if the sterilized action violence is due to the chinese production company or if its just part of the previously hollywood 90s-00s trend of action filming that I thought was coming to an end with the rise of John Wick.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Garner handled all the action well if they had the wick guys directing instead of the taken guy it'd probably be much better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

CeeJee posted:

Watch it on Netflix and make it so !

https://twitter.com/Timobros/status/1053849020882333696

The Operator reminded me a lot of Rebecca Ferguson in M:I, a mysterious party of unclear but not hostile alignment and immense ability. That first scene in the parking lot was fantastic with its 80's vibe of a mysterious killer in the haze.

I especially liked the strobe light behind the motorcycle synced with the muzzle flashes for a dramatic silhouette. They just should have synced the last kill a little better, they probably had budget for only one take.

She was maybe my favorite part of the movie, actually all the female characters were cooler than the male guys (except for Bobby, he owned). I'd love to see an "The Operator" focused sequel or whatever if this is really a trilogy. I think her fight 2v1 was really cool. The garrote string lady was really great as well, both for how horrific the wounds she inflicted on our first group of "good guys" and for how Uwais loving destroys her with that kick and then later for her amazing death scene.

I really love the camera work in these movies, they're so dynamic and they really sell the action.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

Keanu for Raiden? Am I reaching here?

Keanu is Kenshi.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Hello,

I want to bring Mean Guns into this thread, because its essentially one of the first "Battle Royale" type pieces of fiction to closely mimic the actual popular video games of today and because it came out in 1997 wow! 2 Years before even the original Battle Royale novel! I know that "fight to survive" is not a new idea but this movie has all the hallmarks of the current BR obsession.

synopsis: 100 people, who have betrayed The Syndicate, are gathered in a prison opening the next day. They are given weapons and 6 hours to kill each other. The 3 remaining share $10,000,000.

Starring: Christopher Lambert (RIP), ICE-T, and uhhhhh

Its a quintessential 90's action flick, incredibly sanitized violence, lots of shooting, few to none squibs, everyones running around with deagles and poo poo. It has a lot of heart and Lambert & Ice-T both chew up the scenery like no ones business in this flick.

Just as part of genre, it has all the staples that would soon become a video game craze: Everyone starts without weapons and has to get them, the arenas locked off and you die if you go outside the zone, & everyones lootin.

As a film though it has its charm. There are some decent banter between the main dudes, Lambert kills it (literally) as a creepy weirdo (prophetic role as a pedophile type guy in this given his epstein express flight logs), and Ice-T is great. There are some fun little side characters like 2 bozos, a prostitute lady, and the various dopey gang members.

Spoilers for the end: Even though overall the action is only OK, it does have one of my favorite bits of these 90s action films which is when the main protagonist team splits off and "D" the lady assassin gets got by Christopher Lambert's "Lou", when he appears hanging behind her and garrotes her. Just like, where did he come from? And then of course the end is rigged against Lou and they dont even give him a loaded gun for the final mexican stand off.

It is a great "game night" movie as you don't need to think to process anything that is happening and it has plenty of intentional and unintentional laughs.

Clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ScvOp65Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwwmOtFx5CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDAGUDlBKOM

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 30, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I bought kite on DVD from Amazon when I was like 12 due to an amv

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I remember being pumped for Shoot Em Up and seeing it opening weekend in theaters but the lack of squibs \ general impact to the shooting just soured the whole thing for me. Ended up not liking it at all.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

Kate, the latest Netflix original, is a mixed bag. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is really good, it looks great and contains two genuinely outstanding action scenes (the fight in the restaurant and the one in the kitchen) otherwise it's a bog standard version of one of the two plots movies about assassins always have.

The two good fights are really good though.

Its really good! I think it gets some props for having some interesting cinematography and shots in the movie rather than just lackadaisically working its way through the action cliches. Those 2 fights mentioned were hella good, and I think overall MEW does a great job in the action role. The plots a little whatever, but it doesn't matter the movie sells it!

Spoiler: Kate just longing for the stupid boom boom lemon carbonated fake drink throughout the whole film is a fun little running gag

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh yeah, I liked it. It's a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Even the kid had grown on me by the end. There are some bits that really elevate it and I enjoyed playing 'spot the Takeshi Kitano/Takashi Miike collaborator' among the cast. I think the bits that are genuinely inspired make the bits that are pedestrian more annoying, because you can see that this was a team capable of something great. The genuinely incredible restaurant scene being followed up with the competent but standard alleyway shootout is a perfect example

Yea I'd be curious to know when the alley scene was added to the script, because I think its obvious a lot of care went into the restaurant and kitchen choreography.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
How can you hate 3? 2 and a half stars?! Sure it has an uneven 2nd act, with the big Moroccan shoot out being kind of superfluous really to what is actually going on and just an excuse to do the dog stuff. HOWEVER I contend the first big chase sequence is amongst the best that JW has to offer. The knife museum brawl alone is worth this movie existing.

Similarly the third act is among some of the best of the JW action sequences. The armored goon squad fight is great because it provides an enemy (even if unrealistic ) that Wick cannot just brutally and efficiently headshot and the frustration he and Lance Reddick show is great and bringing out the slug shotguns is a really fun hell yea moment.
Then finally, Mark Dacascos as a JW fanboy turned final boss + the raid guys is a great fight. Even though action fans know that the raid boys are going easy on keanu and its about half the speed of their "normal" - its still very fun, and any time Wick fights someone but lets them live is exciting.

Like I think these fights are all much better than the catacombs stuff in JW2, or the end of JW1. JW1 was mostly about the revelation of cleanly shot, focused, and tightly choreographed action being revived after a decade of shakey cam filth. The house fight and the spa clear out were the best of it. JW2's stuff with Cassian was great, and I liked the montage of the various dopey assassins. The ending house of mirrors is a banger of course and the concept of the museum fight is fun (having to constantly grab new weapons) though gets a little repetitive.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah the dude is 6'2" or something and they put him in lifts so he's 6'5". Then they shot him for maximum domination and have everybody call him Sasquatch or something. It works really well.

My friend and I were watching it and wondering if they had deliberately cast all the other male characters with actors under 5'10 - because even in prison, where you tend you get extras that are huge, all the guys in his fight are just tiny compared to him.

The fight choreography was nothing special but I did appreciate how far they went to sell Reacher just man handling people. Like open palm slapping a dude and flipping him over, or the use of grapples/throws by reacher on the tiny men actors he is fighting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the fight scenes aren't impressive so much as they're just very effective at conveying Reacher's size and power. If anything it leads to some jarring moments as the season goes on where Reacher is fighting someone 1on1 and you're wondering how this much smaller guy is hanging with him for more than 5 seconds. I think for the next season they need to do a better job of establishing villains as a physical threat to Reacher if they're gonna have a back and forth fight with him later on.

Yea this was DEFINITELY the case with the 2 fights at the end of the season with the nephew & the son, there is no way either of them should have lasted more than a second. Reacher is the type of book / show that does not need tension involved in Reacher's fights, just give a cathartic 1 second beat down to the obvious twerp/dweeb guy that is being shown to us as mega evil

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The Reacher books are that genre of entertaining read where you get to learn something about some completely unrelated subjects because its relevant to Reacher's case and the author obviously researched it and Reacher is on the spectrum enough to either recite the wiki to his partners or think it in his head.

The books themselves follow a few different formulas:

1. Someone from his past specifically seeks out his help
2. He gets randomly caught up in something
3. He sees a problem and decides to fix it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Reacher gets randomly kidnapped when someone else is the target like 3 times. How much bad luck do you have to have as a kidnapper to accidentally kidnap the guy who is gonna gently caress you 7 ways to sunday while dismantling your entire org.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

Hard Rain is a solid flick. You could do a lot worse on a stormy night.

I rented Hard Rain from blockbuster because it had Mark Rolston in it who played Drake in aliens who was my favorite character and I watched it and it was good but I was bummed Mark Rolston was just like one of the goons and didnt really do much in the film.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Regal's mystery movie was Sisu and i have to say that was a very pleasant surprise! By far the best mystery movie theyve ever shown. As for the movie itself:

It works better as a gory dark comedy than as an action flick, as there is not really a lot in the way of true action scenes. The hand to hand stuff is way too shakey and most of the shooting is standing in a line firing squad style. Theres a nice little fight at the beginning but everything else is more like just scenes of gory kills and jokes about how unkillable the main character is. I expected a little bit more from it as being advertised in association with the Wick crew but still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Re: Monkey Man it feels like an inbetween style comparing Wick-alike clear action choreography and Jason Bourne style shaky cam. I didn't mind it! I thought for the most part everything was clear. Other than being a bit overlong (theres a really tight 1:30 in there that'd probably just straight bang) it was really cool. I loved the dream like presentation through most of the movie. Dev has a really strong visual presentation going for him already so I will look forward to any future directorial projects from him!

Honestly my favorite part of the movie is just how good Dev looks that lanky motherfucker.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boy Kills World looks like it's got some dope action but is incredibly obnoxious. I guess I'll bring some earplugs.

well why not posted:

I didn’t see a lot of posts about it; but Boy Kills World is a really fun time.

Eh I saw it at Regal's mystery movie showing and its very very mid. The H Jon Benjamin voice over is absolutely unnecessary and the writing for the voice over specifically is not funny enough to warrant having H Jon do the talking. If they were going to bring an iconic voice actor in they should have given him better material or let him workshop it more. I can think of maybe 1 specific scene where the voice over was funny. The movie itself IS funny though, there are some fun gags. The fighting stuff is really meh, it does this kind of whip pan almost CGI camera thing during the fights that reminded me a lot of Argyle and it was obnoxious. Very shaky fights. Also much like John Wick 3 having Yayan Ruhian in the movie but not pairing him with anyone that can actually match his tempo is sad. There is also a story spoiler bit where its revealed 2 of the characters are related, and it would have worked so much better if they were just enemies to lovers instead of secret siblings because every shot looks like theyre about to kiss or fall in love via rear end kicking

Including massive raging rear end in a top hat zionist Brett Gelman playing his normally gross and disgusting character type was also a bummer.

Jessica Rothe's character was pretty cool.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Sagacity posted:

You'd expect these kinds of movies to embrace the physicality of it all, since I'm sure stunt design and safety has improved since 80s HK action cinema days, but it's definitely not showing in this "love letter to stunt performers".

I disagree completely. I just saw it last night as well and literally every scene features a classic stunt or fight choreography move. Its a love letter to all those classic hollywood stunts you've seen (literally the boat chase scene looks like a higher budget version of the Universal Studios stunt show!!) not a love letter to "extreme stunts".

I get that it would be cool if there was something more extreme, and honestly I wish they had hyped up the car roll more, but as it stands I was shouting and pointing at the screen like Leo in every scene as I saw another classic stunt worked into the scene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i feel like audiences would go see it for the funny rom com elements and ryan gosling, it's a fun movie