Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Cobra

Where to start? It's a 1986 Stallone vehicle "adapted" from a book about a detective named Marion Cobretti, who is part of the "Zombie Squad," drives a turbo-charged Mercury Monterey with the license plate "AWSOME 50," and is tasked with protecting a model played by Brigitte Nielsen from a cult of axe murderers called the New Order. You know how sometimes there is a fake, over-the-top action movie playing on a tv screen in the background as a gag in other movies? Cobra is that movie, but for real. And it's great.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoGoSu4NEyo

Pizza Etiquette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

Obligatory Robot Model Fashion Shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0luO0VYh5o

Watch Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wilhelm Scream posted:

No action thread should go without a Walter Hill mention and if any of you haven't seen Extreme Prejudice, do so because it's basically testosterone on film.

The Warriors is a consummate late 70's/early 80's action film. The fight choreography often gets overlooked, but it's surprisingly visceral for a film of its era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMvQiHuvqs

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

All this fun stuff.

Just as an fyi, I greatly appreciated this. I had no idea that there was some bizarro Cobra rip-off franchise out there, and that makes me very happy. Greatness sees greatness.

Also, I love the trivia about there being a cut that is over two hours long, because I immediately thought of the scene near the end of the theatrical cut where Stallone and Nielsen are taking refuge at a rural diner after being chased out of L.A. by the death cult. To lighten the mood Stallone picks up a big plastic hamburger and kind of shakes it around and goes, "huh huh, thasa big cheeseburger" and then puts it back. Like the director was all "very good Sly, very funny! That's definitely staying in!"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

sean10mm posted:

What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

The Warriors presents New York City as an ecosystem almost completely populated by roving packs of themed gangs, to the point that I think only like, three non-affiliated citizens appear in the movie, tops.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Just a head's up, Seagal has also "written" a book.

I'm in the middle of reading it now.

Every single element of this cover is hilarious.

Every.

Single.

Part.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing that makes Hobo With A Shotgun work is that none of it is treated like a joke.

Yeah, it totally commits to the gonzo universe it's set in. So like, you can have Rutger Hauer monologue about his dreams of owning a lawnmower in one scene, and jump to a ghost bus full of dead kids, or The Plague wrecking a hospital, and none of it really clashes. It's earnest towards the world it's set in and doesn't ever take an outsider's stance.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey guys, I'm assembling a watchlist of the B-movies from the sub-subgenre that overlaps The Warriors and Escape from New York. Anything I'm missing that's worth watching?

The New Barbarians
Steel Dawn
1990: The Bronx Warriors
Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx
2019: After the Fall of New York
The Running Man
Endgame
Turkey Shoot

Hell Comes To Frogtown.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

We should all thank Boondock Saints for making it so easy to quickly find out who you will hate at a house party.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Boondock Saints is what you would get if you tried to adapt a Jagerbomb to film.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tango & Cash starts with Stallone growling “hit it,” followed by a sick late 80’s hip hop beat. The movie ends with a super Tonka truck driving around an apocalyptic hellscape located somewhere within LA city limits. Brion James uses a cockney accent, badly.

In summary, Tango & Cash is great.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I still say my ideal action movie TV series adaption would be True Lies with Terry Crews in the Schwarzenegger role. Part Expendables, part Everybody Hates Chris, all Terry all the time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

B.J Novak.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Bob Odenkirk is getting his own John Wick... produced by some of the people behind Wick and Atomic Blonde.

Get the gently caress in.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Assuming Odenkirk is physically capable of performing the necessary action choreography, he would be absolutely perfect for a movie like this. He'd have been a much more inspired casting decision for the Death Wish remake now that I think about it.

The choreography is key though, that was a big part of what made casting Keanu such a great decision. And even he had to then go off and do intensive weapons training in addition to his previous martial arts experience.

Oh man, this is so spot-on it’s kind of depressing.

The thing about Odenkirk is that he’s continually surprised me. Back when Mr. Show was airing, I never in a million years would have thought he could do drama. And even when he was in Breaking Bad, I never would have thought he could lead his own drama. But he’s shown time and time again that he can step the gently caress up. And I think him being a producer on this will go a long way in making him bring his A-game in terms of physicality.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know one of the expectations about contemporary action movies is that the lead will get into really good shape for it to the point of physically transforming themselves (Exhibit A: Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy) but are there any examples of action leads who either wouldn't or couldn't get into shape?

I imagine Seagal is one who might be mention, but I recently watched Under Siege and I think he tended to rely on his martial arts rather than getting really jacked like Arnold or Stallone.

Late-era Charles Bronson always looked like he showed up in a wheelbarrow full of cigarettes butts. And then you’ve got Joe Don Baker, whose entire persona was built around “big angry ham.”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nicolas Cage was pretty jacked in Con Air, but I think that was a one-and-done. Come to think of it, did he ever have another outright “spinkick a motherfucker in the face” action movie after that? I’m not talking about Ghost Rider, but a movie where he was presented as being able to do legit martial arts poo poo. Because I’m coming up blank, and you would have thought the success of that movie would have changed his course trajectory, kind of like how Wesley Snipes went from drama to martial arts action star.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The first case of an actor’s diet and workout regiment being a major point of conversation that I can remember was Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man.

Basebf555 posted:

Bale's transformation from Patrick Bateman, to The Machinist, and then back to huge for Batman was influential as well. I think a lot of actors saw that and were like "poo poo, I gotta up my game."

I rewatched Batman Begins last week and I had forgotten just how big he is in that. And I remember reading something where when he had originally shown up for his costume fitting he has actually put on too much muscle, which ironically made him look puffy when in the bat suit. So when you see him in the finished film he’s actually smaller than what he built himself up to be for the role.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 12, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mean in the line of conversation about non-bodybuilder actors getting crazy cut for roles.

I’d forgotten about all of the Linda Hamilton chatter though. I do remember that being a big thing now that I think about it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Bond Blonde, so what

Another actor who had an interesting shift in trajectory was Jason Statham. The dude was never out of shape, but in movies like Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch he was more known for his banter than anything. Then he did the Transporter and more-or-less never looked back.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My favorite thing about the opening to Con Air is that it’s set in a bar that you can seemingly only reach by boat.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The same thing happened in Salvation, where it was this huge reveal when the T-800 comes out at the end... and then it's immediately immolated because every second you got a computer animated Arnold on screen you're burning through money.

But to your first point, a lot of director's don't seem to realize that weight is a huge factor in making CGI characters feel "present" in the scene. Neil Blomkamp and Guillermo del Toro seem to be pretty okay with it (in regards to District 9 and Pacific Rim, specifically), but almost everyone else seems to equate slow = to weighty, as opposed to actually making the characters appear weighty through how they actual move.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I really dig the third film. Philip Seymour Hoffman turns in an expectedly awesome performance as the big baddie, and it's got some pretty decent action set pieces.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mission Impossible: 2 would be a lot easier to watch if it was like, twenty minutes shorter. It’s really bloated and has some serious pacing issues. And it doesn’t really go full Woo until the very end when there is a motorcycle fight scene.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Face/Off, but Hard Target is my favorite American Woo joint. Van Damme in his spin-kickiest prime, Lance Henrikson playing to the rafters, Wilfred Brimley doing a Cajun accent, snake punching. What’s not to love?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The first Jack Reacher is worth watching just for the novelty of Werner Friggin Herzog playing the heavy in an American action movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

There is a scene at the end of Batman Begins where Batman fights a group of ninjas, and it is so utterly impossible to follow that I wouldn’t be surprised if Nolan handed the camera to an amature skate video director.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Payndz posted:

I remember getting quite annoyed in the cinema during the BB dockyard fight because I couldn't work out what the gently caress I was supposed to be looking at - it didn't flow at all. I was genuinely surprised later to find people defending it as "it's from the POV of the bad guys, they don't know what's happening either!" Seemed to me more that Nolan suddenly realised "poo poo, my lead actor is all but immobile in this thick rubber suit! Maybe if I just do rapid cuts on closeups of fists and feet and people flying into boxes it'll work... oh, cock."

Also, Batman fought ninjas at the end of that movie? Christ, I must have excised the second half from my mind, because I don't remember that at all. And I own it! I've watched it on DVD more than once!

Actually, a problem I had with all Nolan's Bat-films is that they were all so loving sterile. It's summed up by an early scene in the last one where Gordon and co are going down a manhole in an alley - except the alley looks like it's just been scrubbed and steam-cleaned, with no dirt or garbage or anything to suggest this is a bad part of town. Gotham became a bland concrete and steel Anywheresville, USA.

It's real bad.

For god's sake, Chris. PULL THE CAMERA BACK.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I didn't even remember The Equalizer coming out, but I saw it on TV recently and agree with all of this. I enjoyed it. Very reminiscent of Man on Fire and the Punisher.

Helped out immensely by being directed by Anton Fuqua. Even when he does trash like Olympus Has Fallen, it’s “throw your hands up laughing” trash. David Ayer could learn a lot from his former Training Day collaborater in that regard.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Did I miss a conversation about how Bright was abominably dumb? It was real stupid, y'all.

What about really silly ones?

I mentioned this in its own (seemingly dead) thread, but in a perfect world, Bright would have been written and directed by Shane Black. And it would have been awesome.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what my favourite Die Hard rip-off is. Probably a toss-up between Cliffhanger and Air Force One.

Sudden Death’s dece. It’s got Powers Boothe playing the heavy, and Van Damme has a full-length fight scene with the Pittsburgh Penguins mascot.

LesterGroans posted:

I'd argue that Sabotage is absolutely that kind of enjoyable trash.

Fair point. The Arnold interrogation scene alone makes it worth a watch, just because it’s so bonkers. Plus Sam Worthington playing Fred Durst.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Olympus Has Fallen’s two biggest problems were 1) a script that was an uninspired retread of Die Hard, down to very specific plot points and 2) coming out the same year as White House Down, which featured Channing Tatum, Jimmi Simpson, Lance Reddick, and the coup de grace, Jamie Foxx as not-Obama shooting a rocket launcher from the Presidential limo.

I never saw White House Down. Is it worth a watch?

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 17, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard that Die Hard 3 began life as an attempted Lethal Weapon script.

I’m pretty sure Die Hard 2 was supposed to be a stand-alone movie until someone noticed the general conceptual similarities to the first time and it was rewritten as a sequel. That’s always fascinated me, movies rewritten to be franchise pieces. I’d love to see a list of that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights started as a serious drama about the Cuban Revolution.

That information is extremely my poo poo, and just opens up an entire football field of questions about how its development cycle went down.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hell, I’d say Avatar is largely forgotten about even now. It never shows up on best movie lists, and rarely has any reflective pieces written about it. It was like the world’s most expensive bag of cotton candy: colorful and sugary, but dissolved away completely after a few seconds.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My biggest criticism with MI: II is that it feels so slow. I don't know if it has something to do with the pacing, or maybe a sluggish middle, but it feels like it runs much longer than either Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation, even though it's shorter than both. That being said, when it finally goes full-tilt Woo in the finale, it makes the whole thing worth it.

Why does he stop to put on sunglasses?

Shut up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Statham's most recent project is about a research sub that is attacked by a megalodon shark. By John Turteltaub, director of National Treasure, Cool Runnings, and of course 3 Ninjas.

The Meg is gonna be dumb as gently caress, but I don't even care. I'm all in on Jason Statham vs a prehistoric shark. Only way I'll concievably be disappointed is if he doesn't spinkick the thing at some point.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, a few Cannon Films were added, mostly the lamest of the Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris flicks, however the super fun Sho Kusugi flick that basically inspired every ninja pop culture thing ever in the 80s,* Revenge of the Ninja, is among them. :D its "sequel," Ninja III: The Domination is on there too and is hilariously bad. It's a bit amazing and approaches Italian movie levels of ripping stuff off. It is literally a mash-up of Flashdance, The Exorcist, and Enter the Ninja. So don't miss it!

Amusingly, Paramount has discerning taste knowing where the real quality in ridiculously stupid/incredibly fun Cannon Films lies, so despite batches of Cannon Films movies being added every few months, you still have to pay money if you want to see American Ninja II: The Confrontation.

*Even the music, like if I just made you listen to some of the movie's soundtrack without context you'd forgiven for assuming it was Sega Genesis Shinobi music.

Awesome Ninja III is an absolute treasure. Also, since Cannon came up again, I’ll reiterate: if you haven’t seen the documentary about the rise and fall of Cannon, Electric Bugaloo fix that, STAT. It’s fantastic.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Con Air has a lot of problematic poo poo in it. The aforementioned Johnny 23, the painfully stereotypical gay inmate, the “maybe not the movie for this” racial elements. And then there’s Steve Buscemi’s character arc, which is a serial killer that “wore a woman’s head as a hat” through multiple states, has a tea party with a little girl in what appears to be a post-apocalyptic trailer park, and somehow becomes redeemed enough by not slaughtering her that he eventually acts as the comedic button that the movie closes on.

That being said, it’s still an immensely entertaining piece of work. And I think the credit for that goes exclusively to Cage as the protagonist. It’s, objectively, a performance of quirks: the stringy hair, deadpan humor, and a “you’re guess is as good as mine” southern drawl that, at its worst becomes a parody of a stroke victim. But it’s easy to forget that Nic Cage has legit presence, especially thanks to his movie choices over the past couple of years. But it’s on display in fully glory in Con Air as he spinkicks the soul out of various bodies to slide guitar wailing. In a very muddy movie, he remains a buoy to hold onto, and arguably the only real reason it works at all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

One of the reasons Silence works so well is because Hannibal is presented as more of an abstract concept or force of nature than a human being. He has superhuman abilities: he can smell Clarice's perfume, capable of seemingly insane feats of strength, and his penchant for pageantry defies any realistic limitations, such as how is he capable of flaying/crucifying a guard, stealing the face of another, and setting up the elevator distraction in such a short amount of time. What makes all that fascinating is when it's paired against a much more realistic threat like Jame Gumb: he has to use a lovely Ted Bundy ploy to trick women into his van, he lives in utter squalor (note the shot of how dirty his kitchen is, and the general haze throughout the upper floors of his house), and seems to adhere to no particular ethos beyond his base desire (his basement dwelling is covered in Nazi propaganda, despite the fact that Gumb himself adheres to a sexual identity that would have made him an enemy of the state in Nazi Germany). In Silence Of The Lambs, Hannibal Lecter is presented as what the public expects serial killers to be like. Jame Gumb is what they're usually like in reality: selfish, angry, antisocial sociopaths who stumblefuck their way through a bodycount. Once you take away a comparative dynamic, Hannibal Lecter just kind of becomes this de facto Mary Sue of murderers.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a pet theory that Lecter is inspired by Doc Savage, down to the superhuman senses and the weird eyes.

Lecter is a very pulp character. He's like some sort of mashup between Savage and Fu Manchu. You mentioned his eyes, and that's something that doesn't really get talked about a lot, but it's worth reiterating: in the books he has maroon eyes. Like, he is explicitly not a normal human being in the source material.

One of the things I liked about Hannibal, the series, is it took a lot of those arch elements and kind of played them down to something a little more grounded. Like yeah, Lecter his still this machiavellian mastermind who is capable of some fairly heightened feats (his fight scene with Jack Crawford being an example), but he never quite reaches into the realm of impossibility like he does in other interpretations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mean, intentional or not, “mad doctor with six fingers and red eyes” is something that wouldn’t have been out of place in The Shadow. The foundation of the character may have been born from very real behavioral science research, but the character is inherently presented as a super villain by design alone. And having rewatched Silence about a month ago, it’s easy to forget how low key Hopkins’ portrayal of the character is in his first go-around (compared to what would come later, at least). Like the portrayal itself is grounded, but the more fantastical elements are hardwired into the material, so you still get stuff like his superhuman sense of smell, and the improbable logistics of setting up the display of the flayed guard during his escape.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Crank 3 should be about Chev Chellios fighting has way back to life through his own personal, surreal hell. It would give them an excuse to bring back any living or dead character, and lean into whatever absurdism that Neveldine/Taylor could come up with.

Think Bill & Ted’s bogus journey starring Jason Statham.