Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ulio posted:

Raid 2 needs more praise as well, the prison fight scene is absolutely bonkers.

Also new MI trailer dropped https://twitter.com/MissionFilm/status/1658819873089404935

Looks like it will be another banger.

It's looking great, but why is it a two parter? Argh. This movie may have more tom cruise sprinting moments than any other, which is wonderful.

Rebecca Ferguson, Pom Klementieff and Vanessa Kirby all look to have pretty sizable roles, nice to see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamn the first ten minutes or so of Tiger Cage is wild. I wonder what the record is for number of gunshots in the opening 10 minutes of a movie.

is it more bullet filled than punisher war zone?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shageletic posted:

Speaking of this dude my only problem with RRR (other than the nationalistic ballyhoo of the end credits that I had no context for) was Ray not getting a second standout action scene.

Are there any other bollywood/tollywood/etc movies that are as good or better than it? I spent a large part of the run time whooping

Not really. I watched bahubali 1&2, pushpa, kgf 1&2 pretty much in a row a month or two back. Bahubali 2 comes closest but the pacing isn't nearly as tight (being a two parter). The primary problem they all have is the heroes are completely unstoppable in nearly everything they do. Bahubali solves this to a degree, but RRR really solves it by just having them be frenemies for most of the runtime so it feels like it earns the final team-up to dunk all over the brits. I still enjoyed the other movies but wasn't recommending them to anyone unlike RRR

War looks interesting and I'll try that soon, because it looks like they're going for a two perfect rival thing, so maybe I'll enjoy that more.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

I rewatched Hydra and Baby Assassins to get the taste of Seagalchat out of my head. Not great movies, but a truly great fight finales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hah-DL97iQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSILF1TjNOQ

I love how fast and dynamic these scenes are. The action was directed by Kensuke Sonomura, who may be the best action director in the world right now.

I just watched Baby Assassins without remembering why I had it on a watchlist and drat, I was impressed. Especially the finale hand to hand fight that was better than I'd really expected. I'm gonna have to dive into this Sonomura guy

Edit I looked him up and turns out I already know some of his work, from doing actuon direction for dmc 3 & mgr:r a decade ago

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 20, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Olympic Mathlete posted:

poo poo news. War Zone was great fun and Ray was great in everything, it took me a while to realise he was the big bad in RRR!

https://twitter.com/LexiAlex/status/1660698258480701440?t=gBE2bCbtftL1OwNmlpF2Uw&s=19

Crazy. I was thinking about how he was in Accident Man 2 with Adkins and seemed a decades older than the latter, yet is the same age as Keanu

https://twitter.com/UpToTASK/status/1660698758953447426

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 22, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Wick 4 is out for home viewing

It's wild to go back through it and see how the pacing is done
few selected timestamps
:57, end of Osaka sequence
1:21, start of German fight
1:49, start of the Paris sequence.
The movie is 2:49:17 including end credits, so it's a literal hour long finale
2:00 arc de triumphe
2:08 dragonfire crane shot
2:13 stairs
2:24 sunrise

me, watching with theoretical friends midway through 8 minutes of nunchucks : honestly guys the action isn't going to really start for another 45 minutes

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 24, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I made a few gifs. didn't embed to avoid spoilers
https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...yoCTr/giphy.gif
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...Zs463/giphy.gif
https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...8ScDz/giphy.gif

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think I've rewatched the club scene a dozen times, it may be my favorite one ever. It's just so drat great to have the awesome music, awesome visuals, everyone is dancing and then there's always an extra or two just going :O and staring at the action then they remember they need to go back to dancing. There's even a few moments where people noticeably flinch. I loving love it

The little 10 second bit with some speed ramping with the dancers in the foreground and action behind, right before the Killa clothesline, is :chefskiss:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Adkins is at his best when given a real broad role like Boyka, avengement, wick4. It's when he tries to have more nuance (undisputed 4, or being sad in savage dog, ninja 2, whatever else in forgetting with a dead woman to motivate him to go fight) that things don't work as well.

Otherwise I'd say his strongest performances are debt collector and accident man, he seems most at ease there. Stuff like seized, one shot, el gringo are just workmanlike.

Edit: I checked and have seen him in about 20 roles over the last 4 years of tracking what I watch, not counting stuff like dr strange or unleashed where hes just a mook. Seems like a lot

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 30, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

I wish the Wick movies never came up with the bulletproof suit, that is too powerful a weapon.

I'm surprised to see you say that, since you have a lot of good posts and taste in action. I think it really opened up the choreography and made it a really distinctive type to set it apart from other movies. Without it, how are you going to have the ability for Wick to go up against the sheer number of people he does, especially when the location is an American city? 3 movies worth of "a hundred bad guys just never connect" would have been frustrating.

I also really enjoyed that Zaror had the same immunity to headshots that Wick does - he can gun down other suited henchmen, but not a recurring miniboss.

What I didnt like much were the armored guys in either 3 or 4. Tney were clunky and cumbersome and wore out their welcome quickly.

I'm actually struggling to think of a gun heavy actioner with lots of hand to hand that works well. Partly because after enough movies things just blur together, but my initial thought was the Matrix which, well, those rules are much different.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Equilibrium :q:

Woops beaten a million times

I feel like Baby Assassins had a solid mix.

Yeah, I was thinking of Baby Assassins but there's not all that many action scenes in it and it's only the final fight that transitions from gun to hand to hand to gun. But even there, the heavy doesn't even have a gun, he's pure hand to hand.

It should be interesting to see how BA2 deals with things because it'll run into the same problem Wick 1 does where everyone dies to headshots. At least Bernhardt got him in the bulletproof vest but never being hit in the arms would have gotten silly over the course of 10 hours of action

Edit the fable 1/2 are pretty close to wick but I would need to rewatch them

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 31, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

High Warlord Zog posted:

War is good fun, especially if you're looking for something to scratch the same itch as the later Fast and Furious movies

Just watched it, don't think it quite lived up to the hype of F&F/M:I. The cgi setpieces weren't quite imaginative enough.

The second lead, Tiger Shroff, also got done dirty by the fight editing. The choreography was pretty good, but as he showed in some of his dance numbers he is insanely athletic (he throws out an impeccable straddle split jump) and other than an aerial to open up the final fight, doesn't really get to use it too much. Had one really great move where he cartwheeled out of reach but it was blink and you miss it. Frankly, he reminded me of Adkins as Boyka in terms of the flexibility + muscle and it was a shame to hide it behind quick cuts.

Still a pretty fun overall movie but definitely could have been a lot more.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Bruce Khan is really fun as the heavy in the Killer. I liked it a ton more than the swordsman, which I thought has real bad lighting

But too much revenge is no good - just saw I Saw the Devil and oof. Good movie, tough subject matter, almost too much for me

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Snowman_McK posted:

I Saw the Devil is a movie that's incredibly well made but that I absolutely loathe. There is so much directorial flair and so many excellent creative decisions in service of a story that's just mean spirited and, honestly, kind of dumb. I'll spoiler it, just in case I get the idea that going after revenge the way he does causes other people to get hurt and killed and leaves the guy with nothing, but he was there at the beginning of the revenge story. He loses his pregnant wife, and is a shell of a man bent on revenge. At the end, he's a shell of a man who got his revenge, but also some other people died because he went about his revenge in a kind of loving stupid way. So he's a broken shell who's not even especially good at getting revenge. There's not a lot to like or engage with there. Again, extremely well made film, at times straight up brilliant, but just kind of dumb.

You're spot on. what he loses at the end is bad but not as bad as at the beginning. Maybe if you flip the two sisters roles it works a lot better

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Song Kang-ho is a really gifted actor for eliciting grim chuckles.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ulio posted:

Watched Fast X home release. It's fine but so many times in the movie I felt like I might have seen in this in the theaters when I didn't. If they didn't have new characters/actors I would most likely think I 've seen this. Jason Mamoa is loving awesome though, haven't seen him forever since he went into the superhero poo poo.

So much of it just felt perfunctory. The setpieces were often fun, but often throwbacks to other ones.

My main complaints were the extremely rote fights for Brie Larson and the jack reacher guy, as well as the pretty good fight between Rodriguez and Theron just truncating abruptly

I think it might have been better than 8&9 but they're all blurring together at this point

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

Is this the thread to complain about fast x? Because gently caress that loving movie.

It wasn't that bad, and the series lost its special sauce with Paul walker's death so I go in with low expectations.

The real question is why the tunnel scene sounded like a tie fighter engine

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

I feel like I need to defend my immense hatred of fast x.

1. The twee villain character that was conceived to irritate the poo poo out of me specifically.
2. There's no ending, that's total bullshit.
3. Action set pieces were muted and uninspired.
4. All the characters were off on their own separate adventures, that's no way to build narrative cohesion.

Plus all the weird plot cul-de-sacs that don't pay off, like the kid learning to drive and han eating a psychedelic donut. These aren't terrible in and of themselves, but are indicative of a sloppy script.
Yeah I think you're right on most of this (except Momoa) and that its a symptom of it being a two parter. I posted this in another thread, but the entire London adventure should have just been cut out. All of it.

Dial down Vin scenes in Brazil a bit,.especially with the sister we've never seen before, and axe a few Jakob scenes like the music one. For Dom, you just do bar scene, street race, immediately to police station and highway shootout. Just have him save Ms. Nobody instead of the sister with the car door.

At that point, you're at like an hour and a half movie and can actually just do both parts at once in a blockbuster runtime (2h30 these days).

These movies have always had people go off on their own/in pairs to do scenes, but then they always come back for the finale. Not having that really hurt it.

Beyond just the pacing, my problems with the action were:
The hand to hand with the two agency people were both completely uninspired
The Statham garage scene was completely uninspired too

The two big setpieces : ball in Rome, highway at end - were both homages to better setpieces. This even got lampshaded with the former.

When you think back on the other movies they all had something completely new and great :
5: train, safe
6: flipitover cars, million mile airstrip
7: building jump, cars out of planes, a ton of poo poo
8: family vs vin, zombie car chase, submarine ( I didn't like the submarine that much though)
9: going to space (not much else worked in this one for me)

This one had the admittedly cool Jakob car, and the dam setpiece but it wasn't enough and wasn't rewarding. Partly because no one else was there for it

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Corridor Crew guys had a stuntman/director on who was part of John Wick and other big action pieces and he proclaimed his love for digital muzzle flashes and digital blood because it's "so much easier", so we're probably stuck with this poo poo forever.

Considering what happened on Rust, I think that's how things are just going to be. Think of it as just a worker safety measure that's long overdue.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

By this insanely stupid logic Hollywood should have started using nothing but miniatures for vehicle stunts after the Twilight Zone incident.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/john-wick-filmmaker-chad-stahelski-sequels-oscar-stunt-snubs-firearms-1235343132/

Guys like Stahelski are probably going to lead the phaseout

quote:

My feeling is that there’s no reason to have a live firearm on set. We can create cities and spaceships and Godzilla and all these things. We have the technology to do the same with firearms. But, for the last 100 years, Hollywood’s been using real firearms. And for prop houses, armorers or supply houses to switch over, it would make their entire stock of real firearms useless. It comes down to the fact that it would cost certain people a great deal of money to switch over. No one wants to say that, but that’s the real reason. You don’t need firearms. The alternative is just going to cost you more money.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

You acknowledge though that there is a point where eliminating all risk does effect the quality of the end product. The ultimate protection is to not do a stunt at all, just recreate the actors with CG and don't allow actors to take any risks whatsoever. If that's your position, fine, but if it's not then you have to get into the conversation of mitigating risk as much as possible with common sense safety policies and regulations. And that's how guns and squibs have maintained a consistent safety record for many years since the Brandon Lee incident, there are policies in place that make things safe. Since Brandon Lee, there hasn't been a single incident that I'm aware of where a film set was abiding by all safety regulations and still had a serious gun accident.

I think part of the issue is just how far you can go before something looks 'off.' Squibs are a really good example here, because a lot of the people posting in this thread love squibs, but I personally didn't see too many of the glorious 80s action movies until the mid to late 90s, and I never really thought of them as 'realistic' - rather, just a way to visually show off the violence. So CGI blood isn't that big of a deal for me to see - I can sometimes recognize it's CGI, but sometimes I won't, and I don't really have any pre-conceived notion of what I want.

But I DO know that I want to see real car crashes and people falling and crashing through tables and whatnot. That's all very risky - just look at that offhand comment Keanu had with Adkins about the Matrix. In a fairly inconsequential scene in the subway fight, Keanu said the stuntman almost died. The problem is I 'know' what a stuntman going through something looks like, and it's a lot easier to tell when it's been replaced by CGI.

Maybe one day it'll get to a 'good enough' level to replace stuntmen and I'll be insisting that stunts are a time honored profession and are simply better, no matter the risk. Maybe I'll insist the opposite. But I believe we're already there with gunfire and blood.

I don't think anyone in this is morally wrong or right, it's just different levels of discernment and risk/reward in your chosen entertainment. Some people don't want to see action movies at all because the violence sickens them.

What I'm saying is, you guys need to fight IRL and settle this. Maybe have a duel at Sacre Couer.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MacheteZombie posted:

Instead of diving into this debate again, everyone post badass stunts you've seen in movies that you like

Lmao that clip is incredible. I love the bit of just kidnapping people in front of a crowd. And someday, someday , I will drive in reverse in a car then whip the wheel to do a 180. I know I can do it, I just haven't..yet...

I went to look for gifs of all the completely insane hundred year old stunts from Buster Keaton, stagecoach , etc but it's all on youtube. Guess I need to get busy with giffing them

Here's one of the few

ynohtna posted:

I couldn't handle stunt school. Got forced to drop out in the fall semester.

:haw:

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 22, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I watched Project A for the first time recently and that climactic fight scene was amazing, but it also occurred to me that it might be one of the first examples of that type of fight i.e. The Mad Dog vs. Rama/Andi scene or the Jet Li vs. Riggs/Murtaugh scene from Lethal Weapon 4.

Also, Project A stands out for having one of the, if not the, best dropkicks ever put on film

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I don't want to be contrarian but I think Pegg does a great job, almost as great as Rhames. The only supporting character who really fell flat for me in the last 3 was Paula Patton. It didn't seem like they knew what to do with her.

Then Ferguson showed up and blew the doors off. But she had more to work with than all the other leading ladies combined. I think she's actually the secret sauce to MI not getting stale and have high hopes for 7.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Payndz posted:

The nadir of suspenseless action has to be in Spectre when Bond is escaping from the base and just trudges lethargically around aimbotting Blofeld's mooks in the head.

The most recent movie had a very technically competent stairway shootout with Daniel Craig just mowing through faceless enemies. The action choreography, the camera work, the lighting was all great. But it fell completely flat.

The most insane part is this was in the movie where he died! So there absolutely could have been some tension there, it just didn't exist. Wound him at least with the 5 grenades that go off near him.

When I was watching it I was just wishing it would hurry up and end. Probably how a lot of people feel about action movies I love and they don't

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Payndz posted:

My personal belief is that around seven minutes is the longest an action sequence should last without some sort of break and/or change of pace, based on the truck chase from Raiders, which between Indy stealing the horse and Goebler splatting the watermelon is 7 minutes and 11 seconds. Anything beyond that risks overkill, which gets more boring the longer it goes on.

That's true, but when I went back to watch the Bond clip it was only 2 and a half minutes. At the time it felt like I was watching the Gracie Shamrock superfight all over again and it was never going to end.

The Connery/Robert Shaw fight on the train is roughly the same length but is so much better due to a huge number of reasons. Did the post up thread mean Shaw was a giant? Batista and Craig fight on a train, Jaws might fight Moore on one, but who else would even qualify?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Lobok posted:

Grant is no giant, at least relative to Bond. But he is towering over Bond before Bond gets him with the gadget trick so it might be natural to remember a height advantage that doesn't exist.

I was thinking that Shaw didn't even look big next to noted small guy Dreyfuss in Jaws, and checked trivia on From Russia With Love

"Due to Shaw being a few inches shorter than Sean Connery, in scenes where the pair would be stood side by side, Shaw would stand on a small box, giving the impression that Red Grant was a dominating presence."

ha

Edit: As for Bond in general, as well as 'action' in general - it's a big genre. It doesn't mean just fisticuffs, or just gunplay, but encompasses car chases, and I'd say it includes heists like the famous Mission Impossible one. Heck, le Circle Rouge was my first thought for an action scene over 7 minutes
editx2: gently caress, I meant Rififi

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 27, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dog_Meat posted:

I can't remember which of the Craig Bond movies it was, but for me the best fight scene was the hotel room/balcony fight. Came out of nowhere, was quick, brutal and the finish really sells Bond as a cold killer assessing his surroundings while his opponent bleeds out in seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4XLplTkHvs interesting choice. I hadn't remembered it at all, but Bond holding him in place while he dies and looking at his surroundings instead of his foe is indeed a great visual explanation of who Bond is. That guy is nothing to him once dealt with.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
If you merge the dance like posed fighting in Shaw Brothers stuff with gunkata from equilibrium you get modern gun action. It's impressive but empty

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xand_Man posted:

Not really because that sounds sick as hell

You could probably make it awesome if you just leaned fully into the absurdity of it, which is what Equilibrium did. But as it is the main characters are often just moving to their preplanned positions to line up their weapon with the next guy who comes into frame. Just add some sizzle and it'd be great - maybe there's psychic flashes, maybe it's spider sense, maybe it's math. I don't care, I just get bored with stuff like this

And that's frankly done a lot better than most. It's even worse when they're moving into position too early - not far off from fight scenes being worse when the hero starts to telegraph his blocks before the adversary is swinging

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The structure of extraction 2 was really odd. After the big skyscraper setpiece,.it almost ended up being a nearly action free denoument but instead we got a wasted Daniel Bernhardt, dramatic hostage situation done poorly, then seemingly multiple endings lotr style.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Going off the Wikipedia list, there's fewer than I thought.

Night comes for us, Extraction, Kate, Carter, and Extraction 2 are all Ive seen that are decent when I sort by action.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_Netflix_original_films

I expected stuff like Kill Boksoon to be there but it's probably a different type of partnership? Now im really curious how NCFU got made so early in the Netflix original lineup when it stands out so much. It doesn't have a Netflix feel

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I refuse to believe that any human has intentionally watched Red Notice.

I haven't watched it but it annoys me that Netflixs fake algorithm pushes it front and center. Imagine if they decided one day to tell everyone Avengement was the most watched action movie of the week and a million people clicked on it because of the boosting

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The momoa Conan spends the first 20 minutes refusing to deliver the goods (Momoa). Just an insane choice to spend so much time on the kid. By the end I was bored out of my skull but he had great energy and charisma throughout it. Rachel Nichols looked like she didn't want to be there whatsoever

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
With the dearth of quality action movies, beggars can't be choosers and all those movies are great!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Statham has always come off to me as a modern Lee Marvin, but you're absolutely right he's left out of the conversation too much. He's done really good work for a really long time in a variety of films.

I don't think I've ever sought out a Jason Statham movie to watch, but any time he's in one he's always a delight.

But speaking of his co-stars, I'm eager to watch how Wu Jing does next to him. Wu Jing could legitimately be the next Tom Cruise - huge amount of screen charisma in what I've seen of him, plus fantastic athleticism in the SPLs/Wolf Warriors

Let's face it though, the heir to Arnold did things backwards of how Arnold did. Comedy first, then action. That's right, Keanu Reeves with his multiple major franchises and great one offs !point break, speed). The antithesis of the Rocks self promotion as well

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 29, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Remulak posted:

Insane: they shot all the weapons handling like it was a stand-in, but no stand-in has those arms.

Screenplay by Normal Wexler AND Gary DeVore.

I greatly enjoyed how they made sure Arnold's biceps stayed in frame, that's a movie that knows how to deliver the goods

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've been casually enjoying Warrior for what I thought it was, but I just made it through S2E9 and holy moly, I am impressed. It worked pretty hard to earn this moment that I didn't really expect would be depicted so well

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
There's a big video about how the hong Kong system basically fell apart by the mid 90s and never recovered, I can't find it though.

But yeah, I listen to a lot of Jacobus/Adkins interviews and there's so much talk about the old ways of making movies that just don't apply anymore. A perfect storm is the right term. It's too bad, because I think interest in action is really high now compared to a decade ago (before the Raid burst onto the scene) but you can see that the American studios just don't understand it and most of them remain focused on doing coverage shooting with shots chosen in editing later, rather than short but specific takes where theres no choice for the editing. It costs too much time and money that the execs would rather waste on whatever they waste it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

American action at some point also became way way too focused on long takes. Maybe it was after Daredevil got all that attention for the longtake scene it did in it's first season? Maybe it was after John Wick came on the scene and people were talking about how few cuts there were compared to other action movies? I dunno but it's an aspect of classic Hong Kong stuff that seems to be lost on most American filmmakers, the idea of purposeful cuts to emphasize impact and create rhythm so that the audience can feel the flow of the scene. Somewhere along the line people saw how Liam Neeson was being made fun of for not being able to hop a fence without three cuts and made the leap that cuts were always bad regardless of context.
The opening scene of JCVD (2008) makes fun of this. Which is crazy because it's still a problem.