Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's probably just due to my age when they came out,but I immediately thought of neo v Morpheus, Darth maul, and Bourne identity. Then I realized those are all as old or older than Old Boy and surely something must have come out since then that's a defining fisticuff scene.

But other than this, which I bet isn't remembered well, I'm stumped

Wick's impact was the gunfighting with the judo, not the judo itself. Maybe Nobody's bus fight or Theron's long take in Atomic Blonde, but were those seen by many people?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xand_Man posted:

Goddammit it why did I completely space the existence of the Matrix

I'm a little annoyed that I thought Hollywood punching and instantly saw Neo in my head because that was 25 drat years ago. Imagine asking a question like that in 1999 and the instant answer would be saying, oh, of course, the famous top of train fight in Emperor of the North between Marvin and Borgnine, nothing else has really had an impact since.

Action really is undervalued in Hollywood and it's frustrating considering the lasting impact on viewers.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 26, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Lobok posted:

I don't quite agree. Xand_Man was asking specifically about melee fighting / martial arts and the West is lacking in iconic stuff for that but it's good for overall action or adventure scenes.

As far as recent Western contributions to the canon of movies about punching real good, that's tough. Does it have to be live action, or with real people? Don't know why this was my first thought but Hulk doing his best Bamm-Bamm impression on Loki in The Avengers is a move everyone would recognize.

That's a real good example. I couldn't think of much for comic movies. There's bits of stuff in Winter Soldier but nothing really Iconic. I was trying to picture the best hand to hand fights in the big franchises - M:I, Fast & Furious, marvel, etc. and mostly coming up blank. Do hunger games, divergent, Harry potter, any of those other teen targeted movies have anything that resonates and I'm just unaware of?

The crazy thing though is even with Loki or Hobbs vs Dom in fast five, those were over a decade ago! And the audiences will absolutely enjoy fisticuffs , see EEAAO's success, albeit from a pretty outsider group of directors/actors to Hollywood. I think the appreciation and demand is there, it's just not being met.

The honest answer might be Extraction's hand to hand stuff in the apartment building, I can see that building a legendary reputation since it has a big star doing a lot of great stuff.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Indiana Jones movies have great fights, although they still mostly serve as characterization as opposed to action for action's sake. Indy's fight against the big Nazi by the plane in Raiders is iconic, I'd say.

And what's frustrating is we can't manage to get those kind of great fights anymore. I don't care what type of fighting style it is. I think Hollywood is somehow embarrassed to have someone just punch a guy even though superheroes are everywhere. I definitely need to watch the video above, because it's hard to understand why we had super memorable early Connery fights in From Russia With Love & Goldfinger, and then the expertly choreographed Daniel Craig stuff is just incredibly forgettable.

Like did Chris Pratt ever throw a punch in the Jurassic movies? He should have , and if he did, it should have been more memorable. Heck, the last memorable fight scene I can think of with A-listers is probably the Last Duel which was mostly them just rolling around but with a fantastic setup.

edit: Right at the outset of this video he does a good job showing visual examples of how a lot of these movies seem filmed the same way. And I think that's why the boxing in Baby Assassins, Kenshin swordfighting, or some of the Indian hero spectacle style stands out.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 26, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alexander Hamilton posted:

That actually brings up that the Bourne movies are fairly iconic in that they inspired about a decade of forgettable fight scenes in their wake.

Yep, it's why I put those movies up with there with the Matrix. They're iconic for better or worse. And without ragging on them too hard, as Jacobus showed in his Righting Wrong fight breakdown, having really quick cuts is fine - it's all in the editing/coverage style of shooting.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Halloween Jack posted:

Hollywood movies don't lack punches, they just lack the basic choreography and cinematography where you can see someone throw a punch and someone take a punch in the same shot.

I just don't think that's true. I think the issue is that the heroes of American cinema mow down mooks in competently edited fights, but they don't resonate because they don't tie into the rest of the movie (as that nicely done video points out, partly due to second unit directors) and are almost never against the antagonist. It's why I think the Last Duel is a good example of doing things right.

Imagine if the Raid finale was against a mastermind guy instead of Mad Dog, for instance. It doesn't have to always be a fistfight at the end (wick 1 suffers from this) but there's a tough balance to find.

All the big English language franchises are cars/spy stuff/superhero powers for the finale. But that's just a separate complaint, since it's not like Old Boy ends with a big fight either.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just watched Code of Silence. It's is a decent action film full of "Hey it's that guy !" Character Actors but it is let down by the fact that it stars Chuck Norris. And while Chuck is quite good at kicking he is a very bad actor and about as charismatic as a bag full of doorknobs so he's just this weird void in a film full of much better actors.

Still a fairly solid film and like a lot of films of that era it's wonderfully crusty and sweaty and all the locations feel rundown which adds to the grittiness.

It's one of my favorite 80s Chicago movies. Don't rag on Chuck Norris - they gave him an on screen partner with even worse screen presence!! (the awful robot). Doesn't hurt to have the fantastic dive from the top of the L into the river.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Holy poo poo this owns bones

The ponytail attack :lmao: IN SLOW MOTION!

I went nuts for that. Here ya go, not embedded
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...g90mK/giphy.gif

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

Vulture has an article, 100 Fights That Shaped Action Cinema. A much more diverse list than normal for these kinds of articles.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-action-movie-fights-scenes.html

Lots of good fight scenes there.

What a great list. I'd forgotten a few of the extremely old fights and quite enjoyed watching the Keaton and Chaplin ones.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I can't believe I had never given Road House a chance before. What a movie!

The most impressive thing was how well all the bar fights were shot/choreographed. Great work throughout that I absolutely did not expect. And then a surprise extended amount of Jeff Healey to give the fights a lovely soundtrack

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its the best movie ever made

I had always had a negative opinion on it from the zeitgeist at the time and started looking up reviews. A lot were upset about the bar fights being too choreographed (read: excellent shot and executed) and I got mad and stopped reading.

It even pulled an interesting comparison with Wick 1's ending - how do you keep the narrative tension going with a physically outmatched antagonist.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'd forgotten about this interview with Benny Urquidez re: Road House. It's not a great recap for the first bit when Benny keeps repeating himself, but it's still interesting to hear how Swayze struggled with the timing until using music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-dZJh8tZ8k&t=1818s

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 12, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Snowman_McK posted:

I met Urquidez a few years back. Got to do a kickboxing seminar with him and he is a remarkable dude. The closest thing you get to actually meeting Yoda.

This sounds more in the 'trying hard to be ridiculous, 80s style'

The only review of import is 'cgi fights.' Which is a shame because Gyllenhaal and McGregor could absolutely have done something remarkable and the studio just chose not to.

Variety, rollingstone etc all pumped out reviews right away saying the remake is great but I don't see how. It's frustrating since Liman has decades of good action direction.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 13, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

One Percenter AKA One Percent Warrior dropped on blu ray and some streaming. Stars Tak Sakaguchi with Kensuke Sonomura as action director. I can't imagine how it could not be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqs7KeEFoes

Oh poo poo! I finally caught Versus and didn't like it all that much, but I see that One-Percent Warrior (search for that on hoopla, but for one-percenter on justwatch), Bad City and Hydra are all on hoopla. Time for a marathon.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Ok, one percent warrior is just a straight up sequel to re:born in a way that shouldn't work.

Unsurprisingly, the fight chroeo is excellent and the finale is incredible. That was to be expected.

The setup and pacing for the opening third is just enough meta ness about a badass actor thinking he's a real fighter that it kind of feels cliche. I also wasn't feeling a few of the early fights that relied a lot in holding guys hostage to keep from being shot at. But then
there's a 4 layer deep segment of first Tak complaining action is like dancing and he doesn't like it, a director getting in his face about this, him seeing a director specifically directing people to dance as they do action like it's ballet, AND THEN the incredible Claire de lune / reborn flashlight fight. I couldn't believe it when debussy dropped and that was the moment I knew the movie knew exactly what it was doing. All the twists from there on out where just a lot of fun, I won't discuss until more people see this

Also is the final fight sped up or are those guys just that fast? Good lord

Edit it was also funny to see it specifically send up the Kenshin movies that I love

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 15, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Hundreds of Beavers lives up to the hype. My kid and I loved it, funniest movie I've seen in years with tons of great slapstick moments. The sound effects throughout were perfect as well. There's so many absurd scenes

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I watched Bad City last night and then skipped around a bit on amazon today to see the CGI fighting in Road House. Frankly I didn't think it was that bad or noticeable. The problem was that, well, I watched Bad City last night! and 60 year old Ozawa (Kuze from yakuza 0) was putting on a hell of a lot more, albeit more slowly, than McGregor/Gyllenhaal. Jake G's one of my favorite actors so I'll give the full movie a shot but man, he needed more to work with.

And if you want to see an action comedy I'm going to scream for years about how great Hundreds of Beavers is. Plus, Baby Assassins 2 Babies should be out soon...

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

Lets talk about iqiyi, the app that streams mostly chinese direct to video movies (and also Inside Man for some reason). They have a free tier which probably shows some of the movies I list below, but I pay the :10bux: for the full service. Their action section is filled with DTV movies no one has ever heard of. This is a shame, since a small minority are pretty drat good. I would say the success rate on chinese dtv action is about the same as american dtv action, which is pretty low in general but much higher if you focus on some names that consistently deliver. The best ones I've found star Hong Kong veteran Tse Miu, who is not a good actor, but is very good in the fight scenes. Basically if you see Tse Miu's name, that is a sign of probably quality action.

Eye For An Eye 1 & 2, directed by Yang Bingjia, these were both 4 stars out of 5 for me. Tse Miu plays a zatoichian blind swordsman, which is always a good premise for an action movie. There aren't a ton of clips on youtube, but this one from the first movie will give you a sense of the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF5Gi8LtTFg

Fight Against Evil 1 & 2, directed by Qin Pengfei, again both 4 stars for me. Tse Miu plays a cop who's out for revenge or trying to protect someone or something, who gives a poo poo. The fights are again very good, occasionally veering into great. The first one is also on the youku youtube channel with very lovely subtitles, here is the link timestamped to one of the fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYTqAJFWMJ4&t=2845s

Hunt The Wicked AKA Hunt Against Evil. Drug cops vs drug dealer. Directed by Chris Huo. Timestamped fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAGFBYjr7A&t=996s

Chris Huo is another name I keep an eye out for. He also directed

Blind War. A blinded former cop has to defend his daughter from an old enemy. This one is available for free.
The Comeback. Simon Yam vs. Andy On. This is very hong kongy.
King of Snipers AKA The Sniper (2021). Something about the sniper hero going after a human trafficking ring.

Those all got between 3-4 stars from me. There are literally dozens of sniper movies in the app, but the rest are garbage. Other good(ish) movies:

Lamb Game (2023). A woman and a blind old man are trapped in a building with a bunch of thugs. Luckily she works at an archery store and he is a martial artist.
Desperado AKA Thug In A Suit (2024). A street clown in full makeup wants revenge on someone for something, I forget. He fights while wearing the clown makeup, this is not played for laughs.
Ghost Sniper (2023). A groundhog day situation results in a team of soldiers repeatedly attacking the Ghost Sniper, getting killed each time, before waking up in the past and trying again.
I am a SWAT woman AKA Female Special Police Officer (2022). Literally a remake of Die Hard. This one is available for free.

Those are all 3 to 3.5 movies for me.

I will also mention youku, another app that distributes these kinds of bottom feeder movies. I have watched one good movie on their youtube channel, and a bunch of extemely lovely ones. Fierce Cop has action scenes that looked like elevated previz fights shot by stuntmen, which is very much my thing.

Thanks. I've been looking for Fight Against Evil 2 for a while. A lot of the direct to streaming Asian movies are shockingly hard to find on :files: so it might well be worth a $10 sub now and then when I really want to get into the genre.

It looks like Baby Assassins 2 Babies is finally out on Hoopla which is nice, but I haven't seen it yet. Instead I'm up to my 5th rewatch of Hundreds of Beavers because my kid keeps going nuts for it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Baby Assassins 2 Babies was sadly a bit of a letdown. Good buddy comedy stuff, but the action was a step back instead of a step forward. The two main antagonists got plenty of screen time but still felt undeveloped

The final fight had solid choreo as expected and some very unexpected moments that I quite liked, I just didn't get the same adrenaline for it as I have in sonomoras other work
I'm pretty sure I've seen a final fight fakeout like that before, but I might be gaslighting myself. Especially for as drawn out as it was, and then the transition back and the fantastic "morning" line. I really, really liked that, as well as the impact of the two kicks prior, and the guy doing what looked like a press handstand to get out a choke

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 16, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Lily Catts posted:

saw Warriors of Future on Netflix. It was compact fun that didn't overstay its welcome. Nothing much to say really. Are there more HK films with powersuits/mecha I wonder?

Thinking of seeing the Knights of the Zodiac live action film but it seems like it's super bad? Which sucks because I read the Saint Seiya manga a year or two ago and really liked it. I suppose I could just watch the 90s anime but that's a lot of investment.

I feel like the Netflix catalog is really lacking in terms of action films (I was looking up the Mark Dacascos Drive movie, I wouldn't even mind the other one with Gosling, but neither were on and instead there was some similarly-named Indian film in the top results). Is Prime any better? I don't really watch much and my partner isn't too into action, so I'm on the fence about it.

They're all over the place. For example, recent Indian action:
Tiger 3, War, Pathaan (all bollywood), kgf 1&2 (kanada): all on prime
Fighter (starring the lead from War), Jawan (starring lead from Pathaan), RRR, Bahubali 1/2: netflix

Even stuff like Adkins' best are all over the place. Avengement on netflix, Ninja 2 on prime, one shot hulu, universal soldier day of reckoning nowhere.

I will say that Hoopla has a surprisingly good library of east asian action, I catch more there than anywhere else. The search is awful, and some of the selection doesn't show up correctly on sites like justwatch, but it's often there.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching Jackie Chan's Miracles for the first time (it's on Max and Criterion) and just losing my poo poo during the first really big fight scene at the rival gang's base. Just gonna have a huge grin for the entirety of this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmYvleesq-Q&t=140s

I've shown the YouTube of the rope factory fight to many, many people, as an example of creativity and comedy in action that we simply don't get much of in the last few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

AccountSupervisor posted:

Monkey Man floored me. What an incredible fuckin action movie. Maybe not as much as some would expect or want, but when it happened it mattered and it was about as intense as it could be.

Immaculate vibes, incredible cinematography and soundtrack. Id definitely put it up there with the greats.
Its quite good, and is the closest thing to a Korean revenge thriller I've seen come out of America. It has a very strong directorial voice in the camera work and editing, and the fight scenes carry that same energy as well. They aren't framed in a usual way, but that's all right, because having a new and unique style is really nice to see.
I also quite enjoyed just how much Patel used his teeth, to go with his excellent kicking which sadly isn't featured enough - he has really clean lines, the best of a Hollywood guy since John Cusack?