Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Just rewatched Ronin and drat those two major chase sequences still hold up so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

If you love this movie you owe it to yourself to watch John Frankenheimer's Grand Prix
I bought that on dvd many moons ago but I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO WATCH THE BLURAY NOW

*Uncrosses movie from list*

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Just watched The Fall Guy since there wasn't anything else playing that my friend wanted to see.

It's an utterly pointless movie. Framed as a love letter to stunts it doesn't actually contain a whole lot of really interesting stuntwork. There's a bunch of fighting and a finale that has a kitchen sinky vibe to it, but there's very little in the way of creativity in there, imo.

The people at 87North clearly have a passion for stunts but for some reason they never seem to design any stunts that are "holy poo poo" level, apart from an opening car roll that was genuinely insane.

You'd expect these kinds of movies to embrace the physicality of it all, since I'm sure stunt design and safety has improved since 80s HK action cinema days, but it's definitely not showing in this "love letter to stunt performers".

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Jerkface posted:

I disagree completely. I just saw it last night as well and literally every scene features a classic stunt or fight choreography move. Its a love letter to all those classic hollywood stunts you've seen (literally the boat chase scene looks like a higher budget version of the Universal Studios stunt show!!) not a love letter to "extreme stunts".
It's genuinely nice you took that away from the movie, but I'm not sure audiences are going to flock to a new Hal Needham movie when you can also just rewatch The Raid 2 or an 80s Jackie Chan film.

(Not trying to diminish what stunt performers can do of course, since even basic stunts can be super dangerous if done incorrectly)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

McGann posted:

I don't think the demographic for this movie is the same as people who will watch raid to or any eighties Jackie Chan movies, unless it's randomly found on TV.

Though the reason for showcasing classic stunts to an audience who won't recognize him as classic stunts? Not sure
yeah so that's going to be a super niche audience that gets a kick out of seeing dar robinson style descents I guess

so not surprising the movie is underperforming at the box office i guess