Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So has anyone seen that new Chinese action movie Wolf Warriors 2? Apparently it has been loving blowing up in the overseas box office. It's already made almost half a billion dollars despite only being out a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqGiPB2D8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, the first Wolf Warrior is on Netflix and bare bones translation aside, that's a weird loving movie. For just how completely over the top the jingoism is, like the scene where they learn that foreign mercenaries have invaded China and so they replace their unit patches with ones that are Chinese flags with "I Fight for China" written on them.

Also had a good laugh at "American" mercenary Scott Adkins not bothering to cover up his British accent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Killzone 2 is, no bullshit, my favorite action movie of the last few years. Yes, this means it beats John Wick and John Wick 2. It really is a return to the pitch-perfect melodrama and beautiful fighting of HK's heyday.

I watched Killzone 2 tonight and while the fight scenes were really good I thought the beginning of the movie was overly complicated. Where it started out at the prison and then did an elaborate flashback to how he ended up there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just learned that Jin/Max Zhang from Killzone 2 is going to be in Pacific Rim sequel. He played the evil prison warden who got the best fights.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure Stahelski said he was coming back for JW3 shortly after the release of 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're also working on the spin off TV series last I heard. Also that unrelated female assassin movie that's rumored to be retooled into being set in the John Wick universe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JOHN WICK CHAPTER 3: MAY 17th 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Which, if any, of the Death Race sequels are worth watching?

The DTV ones based on the Statham movie? The first sequel/prequel is okay but it suffers a little from the fact that they could only get a couple of actors back and so they kind of move up in importance (nobody gives a poo poo about 14K.) The second one if kind of goofy because they very clearly didn't expect to do it so it has to walk a bunch of things back from the first one's ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although it is pretty funny how Death Race 2 ends with Luke Goss' character horribly scarred and deformed and then the third movie starts with him looking kind of normal with some hand waving about how they fixed him up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Headshot is pretty good. It is kind of like an South Asian Bourne movie starring Iko Uwais.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The one thing that really annoys me with Timecop is the bit where he comes back and everything is changed. So he tells his coworkers and boss about it and they all act like he's crazy, despite the fact that this is their job.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a head's up, Seagal has also "written" a book.

I'm in the middle of reading it now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's been a while since I've watched it but from what I remember the big problem with the second Machete movie is that it felt like they really toned things down from the first one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of got brought up in the movie poster thread but the Mechanic remake with Statham is a really solid action movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I found annoying about the MI series is how literally every movie is Ethan Hunt going off book without any help from the IMF.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Since you didn't get an answer to this: no, it's poo poo. "President Jamie Fox fires a bazooka from the presidential limo" is fun to type, but it's definitely better in your head than what the actual movie delivers.

Something I found weird about White House Down is the scene near the beginning where Channing Tatum is pretending to be cowering in fear on the bathroom floor and uses this opportunity to shoot a bad guy. It came across as really odd and a bad look for the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some John Wick 3 news, Stahelski is back for directing, pretty much everyone from 2 is back (Fishburne, Common, Ruby Rose) with Hiroyuki Sanada as the villain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It starts filming March 1st and there's still a new character that hasn't been cast yet (or hasn't been announced,) a female lead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The bad thing about The Foreigner is how there just isn't enough Jackie Chan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Transporter 1 and 2 are very entertaining, I'd say give them a shot. They aren't overly focused on driving either, there's plenty of other types of action too. Transporter 3 suffers from Die Another Day syndrome where they went too far over the top to the point that it was just dumb.

Also don't watch the reboot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

the reboot doesn't have jason stathem that's all that really needs to be said

Statham has said that they really tried to lowball him when negotiating. He said that they wanted him to sign a three picture deal and wanted to pay him less than his regular rate for one movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like both of those and Layer Cake. I haven't watched Revolver (have heard it's not great) or RocknRolla (have heard it's better than Revolver). Even at its trashiest, I usually find something to like in that sort of lurid crime/black comedy genre, but it's best when it's got some modicum of self-awareness.

Revolver is good for just how out there it is. Like the world it takes place in is clearly not the real world and the entire thing has a dreamlike feel to it.

RocknRolla just has a completely nutso cast. Tom Wilkinson, Idris Elba, Thandie Newton, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong, Toby Kebbell, Ludacris, Jeremy Piven, Gerard Butler. Also there's a really fun scene with Idris Elba and Gerard Butler trying to rob some Chechens and how nothing stops them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brian Taylor has said recently that he's interested in doing a Crank 3 but it has to be "exponentially more hosed up" than 2 for him to be willing to do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

brocked posted:

Escape From New York.... In Space!

It was great

Carpenter sued the filmmakers and court decided that yes, it was Escape from New York... In Space and that they owed him a lot of money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fart City posted:

I’d for sure say one that you’ve already mentioned: Highlander. It’s got an insane amount of potential, if it was rebooted with an actual roadmap of sorts.

Chad Stahelski (John Wick) is working on a Highlander reboot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first movie is an alright action movie but kind of dated.

The second one doubles down on the car stuff but loses what made people like the first one.

The third one was a clearly abortive attempt to turn the franchise into an anthology after everyone else walked.

The fourth one has the seeds of what turned the series into a mega hit but is hurt by a ludicrously stupid plot.

The fifth one is where everything finally gels and it becomes a great action movie, using all of the cast well.

The sixth one isn't quite as good as five but continues the bonkers over the top action.

The seventh one is hard to pin down as the entire production has a pall over it with obvious CG replacements mixed in with real Paul Walker.

The eighth one brings most everyone back but doesn't really give them much to do and is a pretty big example of why Vin Diesel hasn't had the best track record with his solo action films. It is buoyed by Statham's best performance in years as well as giving the Rock something to actually do (unlike 7 where he gets sidelined for most of the film.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Took me a second to realize you were talking about the movie The Rock and not the actor, The Rock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's being reported that David Leitch is in talks to direct the Rock centered F&F spin off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Kingsman 2 is that it was definitely a movie that didn't need to happen. I liked the first one but I doubt anyone was really champing at the bit for more adventures of Eggsy, Merlin and Roxie (who gets unceremoniously killed off anyway.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrBling posted:

Was the Jeremy Renner Bourne movie any good? I never got around to watching it.

I have a soft spot for Tony Gilroy after Michael Clayton but somehow never noticed that he directed Bourne Legacy.

Its a weird movie because at times it feels like a science fiction movie what with all the stuff about genetic engineering. Probably the biggest issue with the movie is that the plot comes to what is basically the end but then the movie continues for another 15 or so minutes with another action scene that feels completely pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's one of the stars of FX's next prestige drama, the one about the Getty kidnapping.

Although speaking of Highlander and different versions reminded me of how the original trailer for the 4th movie had a ton of FX shots in it that never made it into the movie and didn't really have a place in the version that got put to theaters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about the Postman movie is how it cuts out all the sci-fi stuff from the book. Like there's a whole bit with the main character running into a town that claims it is being run by the last AI supercomputer or how the entire final part of the story is a battle between former government super soldiers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fart City posted:

You’re not missing anything (though I think SMG has a boner for it and will tell you otherwise). The most notable trivia about the production was that all of the wonderful practical effects were CGI’d over because the studio got weird about how the puppets looked on set (without proper lighting).

Just watch ADI’s effects reel and you’ll see all that is worth seeing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

The part I didn't like about The Thing prequel was how they introduced a way to visually tell if someone was taken over, which kind of ruins the suspense. IIRC it was that the alien couldn't replicate anything inorganic and so if someone had any dental work or even just an earring it would be gone if they were taken over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roth posted:

There's a prequel to The Thing?

It is confusingly enough also called The Thing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/?ref_=nv_sr_2

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just saw this. It's good! It takes a little bit to get going but once it's done you get some really loving fun fights. And the dude does a fantastic job of being in a very good choreograph fight while looking completely lost and distraught by what the rest of his body is doing.

Yeah the lead does a really good job of physical acting once Stem takes over. A lot of very deliberate movements.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, the ending of Upgrade sure is out there. I assume it was one of the benefits of working with Blumhouse since there's no way it would have gotten through a regular studio.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of TV, Netflix has announced that they have ordered 10 episodes of a new show starring Iko Uwais, who will also do the fight/stunt choreography.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/iko-uwais-joins-new-sci-fi-crime-drama-wu-assassins-coming-soon-to-netflix

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure it was in here that someone mentioned Boorman's Point Blank(1967). I watched it last night, definitely check it out if you enjoy "lone badass on quest for revenge" movies because it's definitely a major influence on that subgenre. Not a great "action" movie per se, the action itself isn't overly impressive, but the character work in it is outstanding and it's very nice to look at. But the real draw is Lee Marvin, that dude really had a presence not many can match.

Not sure if you're aware of this but it is actually an adaptation of the first "Parker" novel, The Hunter. Which was also turned into the movie Payback with Mel Gibson and of course the Jason Statham movie, Parker, is also supposed to be the same character as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

I watched the first few episodes. It was bad. Then I went to my friends house to work out with him one day and he was watching it. I watched the last 20 minutes or so of an episode and said, "wow. That wasnt as bad as I remembered. Maybe I'll start watching it now." He then told me I had just watched the ending of the series finale.

The problem with the first two episodes is that they're not really a good indicator of what the show is. The first episode is a bunch of sets and characters who don't appear again while the second episode is kind of similar in that it is all set up for what is actually going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I watched Polar last night and should have turned it off after I saw an extremely geriatric looking Johnny Knoxville get comically murdered by a lady who just gave him a blow job, the camera salaciously lingering on the erection on his now-dead body. He needed the money I'm sure, but I can only assume Mikkelsen was in it because he lost a bet.

Mads is credited as an Executive Producer so it definitely wasn't just some quick buck.