Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alan Smithee posted:

I was confused too

that would suggest it really didn't know how its own technology worked and either she did, or she got REALLY lucky that the Yautja didn't

I think he assumed the mask was far enough away to turn his bolts into dumbfire projectiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Neither can I but I just imagine it's one long film and I have to take a break from watching because there's so much action.

Yes Madam is fun. The talky bits can be a bit too much sometimes but the action is great. As are the outfits which are :krad:

:hmmyes: say no more say no more

Also hoooly poo poo I just realize that's Michelle Yeoh... who's in the Everything Everywhere movie. Daamn, now it makes sense why she kicked so much rear end there :v:

She is in a bunch of stuff, notably a few movies with Jackie Chan, and she rules. Police Story 3 is loving awesome

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MrBling posted:

Seagal would also just hit the stunt guys for real, so there's a reason his fight scenes could look cooler back in the day.

this reminds me of the bit in Mick Foley's book, where he describes his first time ever getting to wrestle his idol Terry Funk.

quote:

"No matter what mannerisms I 'borrowed,' I knew that I would never throw a punch like Terry's, which was truly a thing of beauty. Many people, including me, considered the Funker's big left hand to be the nicest punch in the business. A few minutes into the big match, Terry took me into the corner, and I saw him rear back with the big left. This was going to be great. Here it comes.

Thwack.

I felt like I did when I was eight and my mother came clean about Santa Claus. I had just learned the hidden "secret" of the great Funk left hand. It was so simple--I'd been a fool for not knowing the whole time. Terry Funk had just punched me as hard as he could in the forehead."

When he spoke to terry in the locker room all Terry just said "And all this time you just thought I was good."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Seagalchat if you like arts and crafts and dry humour this will be just the video for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMTpJx2cs

edit: also I never knew SS did so many 'late era' paycheque films, I've been watching this channel

https://www.youtube.com/@SpaceIce

and they just keep on coming, and they are all incomprehensibly bad.

they are so funny though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

god seagal rules

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Each one of the sequels had me nervous and then delivered and was fun, so my default expectation is it will be a fun dumb shoot guys movie.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the new mortal kombat movie would have been if not for the obvious studio head insert main character. everything that was not him was fine and fun.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I super disagree that FX was in any way "unique and idiosyncratic" as a spectacle. There's nothing in it that hadn't been done before, and done better, in other Fast Films.

9 had the bullshit giant electromagnets, which were fantastic.

FX2 on the other hand is a masterpiece

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Payndz posted:

Eh, it was okay. Haven't watched it for years, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adjuOPzkpw4

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

digital blood looks like poo poo, as do computer muzzle effects. spend the money on safety

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cage posted:

lol

Guys ur so dumb if u just put mario AND sonic in the same game it will sell 99999999 copies just DO it omg

the gently caress are you talking about lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

I mean when people gently caress up the work with CGI it looks a little silly, and when people gently caress up firearm safety people die.....sooooo yeah, gently caress it. No more firearms on set, seems fair.

2 people have died in the last 30 years. 1 in such an insane chain of events that no one was even charged, and one due to blatant neglect. Stunts hurt/kill far more people. We can CGI in fake actors so should we ban all in person fight scenes and stunts?

Sure we can sanitize the process so there is no risk, but at the cost of the medium itself becoming even less interesting. There are countless people willing to take the risks involved to make cool movies, what they deserve is proper protection via regulation. Regulations Baldwin was skirting to avoid the requirements the Brandon Lee incident made mandatory on union film sets.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

I mean I guess it's irrelevant what anyone but those that do the work think, and those that do the work seem to....be getting rid of firearms on set :shrug:

"Your personal safety is getting in the way of my action verisimilitude." is a weird hill to die on, but not the weirdest hill this forum has had. Have fun with it.

those people are operating in the current context of reduced budgets for things like squibs, blanks, stunt people, safety, etc and so in that context they would rather just say gently caress it and get rid of the hassle and i don't blame them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i think my main issue with the ever increasing amount of CGI that can be used is the clear impact it is having on filmmaking as a whole.

for example setting up squibs takes time and effort. Once they go off, everything has to be redone for another take. That means a lot of care will be taken to try and get it right in a few takes as possible, and that means everything has to be right in the shot. When the team can say "well we will do it in post" that effects how the on set stuff is handled.

same goes for lighting. When real lighting has to be used, that requires a certain amount of care to be taken, even if the filmmaker is trying to do it cheap and quick. digital grading has removed that as well, now if a shot is not lit well it can just be "fixed" in post.

its so jarring watching even lovely older movies now compared to movies that now exist in the same sphere. Like take any lovely action movie on Amazon Prime and its full of everything we are discussing. CGI muzzle flashes when the actor does not even try and mime the recoil, CGI blood that looks terrible, digitally graded lighting that looks flat and uninteresting. nearly all special effects done with CGI. Then go watch a movie like Nemesis or Hardware which are low budget, lovely, and show it, but still have scenes with great lighting or fun action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUCGkSxowpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGa5EDqne8

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

And it's not the filmmakers themselves, it's studios and such that are the ones compressing timelines.

"Why do you need 2 weeks for this action scene? You can do X Y and Z in CGI, you only need 1 week."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yes, and the consumer of the content, i have an opinion on said content. the lack of squibs and real blood is noticeable even in john wick and those movies would be better with them. they do the gunshots/muzzle flashes fine so no complaints there, but that is not standard at all

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

LOL yeah actually I do have a moral highground. If a stunt performer has a way of doing things safer they should use that, instead of forgoing it because some film nerd on a forum thinks it makes the movie slightly less good.

You're attempting to make up a position that I don't hold.

If a performer can be more protected by them taking the fall with pads(like they usually do) I don't think it's fair of me to say "they should go no pads because the bumps look better". And yes I'm aware female stunt performers often do.

I'd prefer Chris Benoit stop doing the flying hedbutt rather than killing his family because of repeated head trauma but that's just me.

they are safe ways to use guns in hollywood, they just take more time and money, as the john wick guy was explaining. And one of the key ones is to simply never have live ammo anywhere on set, which baldwin blatantly violated. since the primary motivator for using CGI in action scenes is to save time and money, it normally looks like dogshit. i love all the wick movies has i have posted about in here, but even in the new one some of the CGI blood immediately stood out as being fake looking, because it just does not look good. They are also doing a ton of in close stuff where firing a blank can damage hearing and even physically injure someone, so of course it makes sense to do it with cgi for safety.

However this is dogshit and if they are not aiming at anyone there is literally no safety concern.

this is not

B-Rock452 posted:

I mean blanks do look better but also with a lot of the Hong Kong movies if you actually look at the action you can tell the performers aren't aiming anywhere near each other while shooting which looks just as weird as some of the issues you get with cgi flashes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Basically your argument is that since there is still danger involved then stunt coordinators should not be advocating for a safe-ER method if it compromises what you personally care about as far as aesthetics.

aesthetics are literally the foundation of a visual medium

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Yes but sacrificing safety for aesthetics is immoral, which is why we get upset that old school Hollywood producers put their actresses on meth and cigarrettes to keep them thin and Demille killing people

Like I'm sure mummy brown is a great color should we still be using it? I mean painting is entirely based on aesthetics and color reproduction.

gotcha no live action fight scenes ever, all stuntpeople should be done in CGI, there is no acceptable risk allowed.

Jaxyon posted:

There's a difference between safe-ER live action and eliminating live action altogether. We should do safer methods where we can.

But LOL that you've decided that "mah gunplay" is a bridge too far.

yes. in action movies, the topic of the thread, wherein gunplay is literally the main part of many of the movies. doing it right is worth spending the time, money, and effort to do it safely, the same way thousands and thousands of movies have done so for decades without seriously injuring stuntpeople.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Didn't say that

Jaxyon posted:

Yes but sacrificing safety for aesthetics is immoral

attaching a moral argument to a discussion of acceptable risk is bullshit and you are not being clever by doing so. There is a risk driving the actors to the set, risk flying them over an ocean, risk putting them on a boat or in a helicopter. There is risk doing fight scenes, falling stunts, and by having them outside too long in extreme heat in the desert. there is risk having actors smoke herbal cigarettes instead of tobacco ones.

the relative risk by real guns is outweighed by the higher quality result it produces in this medium entirely based on making the audience enjoy what they are seeing. yes it takes more time, money, and effort to do safely. My entire point has been that its worth it because the alternative looks terrible and actively detracts from watching the movie or show. same way its worth having keanu do jiu jitsu (a sport that has a risk of injury!) in order to learn how to do better fight scenes. same way jackie chan's insanity produced movies that will never be matched, and that's not even considering his most bombastic and outrageous stunts, just his fight scene schrography.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 21, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

So ah.... anyone looking forward to Mission Impossible? I hear that's got some good action.

the stunts are too real

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

For heat the sound is so good because it is the actual live sound of the blanks firing. The entire street was rigged for sound so you get the echoes of the gunshots included.

I don't recall any of the muzzle flashes being done in post, since they would have to edit out the "real" ones from the blanks, but it's been a minute since I've watched it, maybe I'm not remembering something.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 23, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oh gotcha, that's make sense for safety reasons for sure

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As any pro wrestling fan will tell you, The Rock is so much better at playing a villain, and his movie career hitting the dirt this bad is because they keep letting him try and be a hero instead.

a buddy and i have been very, very slowly watching old 90s wwf ppvs and we finally got to where the rock is about to usurp farooq as the leader of The Nation of Domination. he is so charismatic and just amazing at being a cocky bad guy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ZmHCYOgvg

the rock owned lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

as a huge wwf fan back in the day, its been wild to see him degrade over time and lose all of the things that really made him special. hell the main reason he even had such a long hollywood career is he is just so charismatic that everyone loved him even if he was in some terrible movie for kids or some trash action flick. for a while he used all the things that made him one of the best wrestlers ever to great effect. then something just snapped and he became this avatar of hustle and grind culture and got so self absorbed he is a parody of his own wrestling character who was a self absorbed ego maniac. the rock as a bad guy never would have done anything as masturbatory as his insane promotions of black adam or the weird fitness drinks or whatever he is associated with, they go too far into being simply uncool and cringey

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CeeJee posted:

He did well as a scary killer in Faster. As did Jason Momoa in Bullet to the Head, they could have done more villain stuff but I guess there is way more big roles for charismatic leads.

isn't momoa as the bad guy supposed to be the best part of the new fast and furious movie?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

batista rules and seeing him do more serious stuff is dope and im glad he is getting chances

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

well why not posted:

Totally agreed that The Rock has squandered the opportunity. He's making mega bucks doing what he's doing, but there's not really an amazing "The Rock" film aside from Pain & Gain. Fast 5 (the best one, do not @ me) is close but it's very much an ensemble.

He's never had that iconic Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Predator, Terminator role. Except now, because he's The Rock and it's 2023, he has the ability to pick directors and roles as if he has. It sucks!

To me, Hobbs & Shaw is interesting, as he's paired with the true successor to the 80s/90s stars - Jason Statham, who is always sorely missing from the "who is the last true movie star?" conversation. He's had the huge franchise roles (Transporter, Expendables, F&F, Crank), the camp foolishness (Crank, The Meg) and the comedy chops (Spy, Crank 2).

i just watched The Meg 2 and it is glorious. first half is slow as gently caress but my god does it pay off with the type of bombastic and ludicrous action that used to be more common. They completely ignore any kind of scientific realism and poo poo just happens and everyone accepts it, its great.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I was astonished how good Den of Thieves is. It's basically Heat, but with bro-dudes instead of really good character actors and it works so much better than it has any right to. What surprised me, given that it was a first time director, was how good all the little character interactions are. Minor characters like barmen, security guards, receptionists...they all speak and act like real people. It shows impressive attention to detail. Also, if you're an MMA fan, you can play 'spot the famous fighter or trainer.'

yep, it is a very enjoyable movie and deserves more recognition. its obviously not groundbreaking in any way but its solid all the way through

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Watched The Devil Conspiracy last night and it was astonishingly stupid and extremely fun. The don't make big dumb movies like End of Days often anymore and holy poo poo did this deliver. Bad acting, dope monsters, it has it all.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Watched Ronin for the first time last night and goddamn that movie rules

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Blade still whips rear end, but it is hard to understate just how cool that movie was when it came out. I was 14 when it came out, and me and my friends all thought it was coolest thing in loving history. everything about is is so concentrated 1998 that it is just perfect. The blood rave blew my teenage mind.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I recently rewatched some of the first segal movies and they are good, it's easy to see why he took off initially. He also did not have the creative control then so it's nowhere near as boring or bad when he fights.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Truly great martial arts require two. Watching someone, no matter how talented, style on people miles below him does eventually get stale. It stops feeling like a fight and just like they're running up the score. Jackie Chan and the Raid guys understood this, where even random mooks would show a hint of skill, throwing a cool kick or punch before being countered in a cool way and kicked out a window. One of the coolest little bits in the Raid is the drug lab henchman who can actually stand with Iko and trades an extremely sick combination of punches before being taken out.

Seagal could never do this. Every one of the 8 million henchmen he's beaten up has come at him with the same weird extremely telegraphed strikes he trained against in Aikido.

Hell even in loving Road House Swayze gets the poo poo kicked out of him before overcoming the odds and NOT getting hosed like those poor prisoners

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

weekly font posted:

Ok wait I take it back about Seagal never being good. Once he said he’d snatch every one of a motherfucker’s birthdays. That was the one good thing he did other than poo poo his pants getting choked out by Gene Lebell.

the other day i found a wonderful weirdo on youtube who creates diorama of popular culture moments, like when Mel Gibson got arrested, or this very event. The dude narrates the entire story, and goes as far as creating a life size clay face, scanning it, and 3d printing an accurate miniature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMTpJx2cs

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I mean it's definitely true that Predator takes it's time getting to the actual Predator but I think that's something a lot of people love about it. You get half of a movie where it's just the most macho possible guys marching around the jungle glaring at each other and delivering one liners and just generally being action movie alpha males, and then you get the sci-fi monster movie twist for the second half.

That's a part of it, but its also important because by establishing these guys as Ultra Badasses it makes their descent into panic and fear even more effective. The movie foreshadows their fate when they find the prior CIA team's bodies and evidence of a frantic firefight, but we then see them absolutely clown on a whole division of dudes, one liners and all. However, not long after they are also reduced to blindy firing into the woods in a panic and are picked off one by one.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Look, Citizen Kane may have revolutionised basically every aspect of cinema, but it didn't have a guy getting shot 30 times, spin kicked, then shot a further 30 times.

John Woo makes movies that are exactly tuned to the 7 year old me and is amazingly good at it and so I'll pretty much always love him.

Also, Red Cliff is seriously amazing. I was impressed with it at the time, but now being more familiar with the time period and other examples of the genre, it's clearer what an insane achievement it is.

When I watched Nemesis the first time (possibly on the recommendation of this thread) I couldn't believe they took the Syndicate fan-fic I wrote in the 90s and made it into a film. How did they even find that script?

Nemesis, along with blade, are two perfect examples of 90s action. Not necessarily the best, but the most 90s.

it cannot be overstated how much fun Nemesis is

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oh man I sure hope nothing happens to furiosa's arm that would be so surprising if it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i hate prequels on principle and despite my massive love for fury road i am unmoved. you already told us everything we needed to know about furiosa in fury road. we don't need any more and all this does is pile extra stuff on an already perfect story. and no matter how good the director is, they can never ever resist unneeded foreshadowing to the already existing movie, and tons of little references to it that make marvel fans clap like seals.

i mean gently caress the movie ends in a way that in no way precludes a dope movie about furiosa taking over from immortan joe and in the world of mad max its not like they would have to wrack their brains to figure out a conflict for her to have to resolve.