Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Wandle Cax posted:

Watch Blood Father if you haven't seen it

I'll say that plus Get the Gringo and the remake of Edge Of Darkness makes for a pretty good latter-day Mel trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

"the secret woid was 'Please don't kill me!' Here's your hundred dollars"
*Throws money on charred corpse as duck puppet ascends to the sky

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Oh, we're talking samurai flicks now? Let me throw Hanzo the Razor out there- 3 movies with lots of violence, booby traps, fuzz tone guitar, some goofy dreamlike cinematography, and disturbing interrogation techniques.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Close, I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he probably played Zatoichi in any of the movies you've seen (except the Takeshi Kitano version)

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Sam Rockwell

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Project A has an homage to Keaton (or perhaps Harold Lloyd) hanging from the clock tower, except on Project A Chan actually falls 60 feet through several awnings before landing in his head.

It’s completely insane.

More insane is when you watch the credits and see he did it 3 times!

I have recommended it in the Kung Fu movies thread before, so here's my recommendation to watch Shanghai Express/Millionaire's Express. Absolutely packed full of stars (even Cynthia Rothrock gets a good fight scene) and stunts

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

She was in low budget American action films, and that was the problem. Awful choreography, over serious plots, a dull, cheap looking world of mediocrity. It's why you can't go back to watching Chuck Norris movies the same after seeing, say, Police Story.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Maybe it's set in Australia

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

There's a podcast called The Adkins Diet that's all Scott Adkins DTV discussion, they might have some good suggestions... I've got Lady Bloodfight on my"to watch" list but it doesn't look like a shoot em up

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

On a similar note, the stupid movie Cat Run has Janet McTeer playing as a giant Mary Poppins-esque international assassin

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that one worth watching as a distraction for an hour and a half? I've only heard about it in the context of "Tarantino wannabe" movies.

It's alright. McTeer's character is fun, Paz Vega looks nice, but it also has D.L. Hughley as a serious negative for me. I'd put it about on a level with Shoot Em Up, but it doesn't feature a lactating Monica Bellucci.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

So I got some sleep and look at it what I said I want to make clear that the level of quality is about on par, not the level of action

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Escape From New York.... In Space!

It was great

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Mercury Rising and 16 Blocks are pretty good, but more thriller-ish than action

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Who's the director for the last 3 Liam Neesons movies?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Your list is woefully inadequate without Passenger 57

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

He was good. Also had Wayne Newton as a Bond villain

Edit: forgot Christopher Walken was in A View to a Kill

brocked fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 22, 2018

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Glad somebody up thread recommended the Musketeer, I loved it when it was released and was sad it didn't get sequels

I'd also add the fencing scene in the Princess Bride, it's better than it should be

Watched Blade of the Immortal the other day and I loved it

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Counterpoint: my ex got motion sickness from the first Bourne movie, and I didn't mind walking out at all. Every shot was either shaky can or two heads filling the entire screen, except for the cutaways to the JLaw of that moment sitting in a telephone switching room.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Julia Styles!?!? She was absoutely not the "J-Law" of 2002, my dude.

That's her name! I was thinking it was Leelee Sobieski or one of the other interchangeable blondes Hollywood cycles through about every 10 years.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of things that completely fuckin' own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oTk73tOmo

Hmm, the only Billy Blanks fight scene I ever remember is this bit of brilliance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jna8FblC3dA

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Fart City posted:

I know it’s like beating a dead horse this point, but the Academy has repeatedly cemented themselves as being grossly out of touch with what constitutes important cinema. Neither Hitchcock or Kubrick got best director. Samuel L. Jackson’s performance in Pulp Fiction lost to Martin Landau in Ed Wood. The list goes on and on.

I don't think Samuel l Jackson's performance needing an Oscar is really the hill you want to die on

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I've heard the whole thing is based on Zapp Brannigan's battle strategy

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Nope- PS3/Supercop has Michelle Yeoh and Jackie Chan and the Supercop spinoff has Michelle Yeoh and a Jackie Chan cameo

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Agreed, his 1st skirmish with Yuen Woo Ping under the train is so great to watch, and their next meeting is full-on bananas (split bamboo poles cutting people up)

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Man, if Proud Mary had half the style of its marketing materials it would've been great. Instead it's about as by-the-numbers as it gets and I think every action beat was in the trailer.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

This is so stupid it loops back around to it owns

It's reminding me of that Bruce Willis western gangster Yojimbo remake where people would fly into space from his gunshots

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

With Salma Hayek as well, iirc

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wow, my brain had subbed her in for the Mexican girl (Felina) who kinda is at the middle of that whole show... Definitely need to rewatch, it's a great show

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit: There's a few 90s Bruce Willis action movies I've not seen, actually, which is odd because I like 90s Bruce Willis before he wesnt completely bald and just scowled grumpily at everyone like he was Charles Bronson. What can anyone tell me about Striking Distance, Mercury Rising and Hudson Hawk?

(I automatically assume that The Jackal[/i
] isn't really going to be worth it if I already like [i]The Day of the Jackal
.)

The Jackal was alright, not exactly action packed. I love the Russian girl and probably my favorite part is how he teaches people not to mess with his minivan. Also has a cameo by Mathilda Mae, who you may recall as the main attraction in space vampire movie Lifeforce.

I personally really like Mercury Rising- also more of a thriller than an action movie, with a shady Alec Baldwin and a 90s magic autistic kid.
I'm always gonna recommend 16 Blocks, which is pretty similar but has great performances by Willis, Mos Def, and David Morse (but he's always great).

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I wanna reiterate how much I loved Willis's performance in 16 Blocks. He makes an awesome turn away from a guy sleepwalking through his day, running out the string on his job to retirement- he really sells the "I'm getting too old for this" bit

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought it looked cool, but very derivative of the Continental scenes in John Wick, which are probably my favorite aspects of those movies. Had a bit of an Assault on Precinct 13 vibe too, which I appreciate, and more than a dash of Marvel Comics' Night Nurse, who patches up injured heroes in a secret underground hospital. Unless reviews are absolutely awful, I'll make it a point to see it in the theater. If people I trust tell me not to bother, it's a rental for sure.

Isn't it in John Wick's universe? I thought that feeling was intentional

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Jamie Lee Curtis had a cop movie where that happens but it wasn't very action-y

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

It should just be called the PunisHer

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Might not be the place to ask, but has anybody watched The Monkey Twins series on Netflix? Trailer looked pretty good to me...

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So as above, yes it was made to piss most people off because it plays the viewer for a fool. What other movie dares to do that? :v:

Even Adam Sandler movies are only on streaming now

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I just watched Skyscraper and it ends with the bad guy getting blown up.
I guess I missed something in the movie, did they explain why there is zero evidence of any fire or emergency services outside of the building's automated systems? You don't see a single fireman in the whole show.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Agreed. City On Fire is greatness.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I thought Polar sucked, but Mikkelsen was alright in his avenging angel mode- the whole thing felt like one of those crappy post-Tarantino edgelord movies from the 90's with the color saturation turned up to 11

I did watch the Girl In the Spider's Web over the weekend. It bored me quite a bit, but thesniper scenes were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Has anyone seen this Nomi rapace closer movie?