Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The dev team did visit Wales to scout the setting out, so it makes sense.

It's not like they did the recording while they were there though, most of the cast are American or English (or Americans pretending to be English?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Yeah, it's just the slightest hint at Lovecraftian themes; if you blink you just might miss it. But yeah, at this point the difficulty does start to pick up as enemies start to incur even more status ailments against our party and the bosses themselves start to pump out even more damage. We also get a first hand history lesson in the dark past of the monastery and things are only going to get more grim from here.

Also there's not too much I didn't show off in this area but the one thing I didn't was a very odd little mini-boss enemy encounter: Bonus 3- Valna and Vigna

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
They did such a good job of making Ed the biggest walking turd they could.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

They did such a good job of making Ed the biggest walking turd they could.
You find Edward to be a bigger turd than James? Cause that priestbishop is a pretty massive shitheel.

Also probably a very minor thing, but I decided to do fades instead of speeding up for the fights this time. Hopefully those worked out better than trying to do chipmunk time.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Both of those guys are nearly unbearable.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

discworld is all I read posted:

You find Edward to be a bigger turd than James? Cause that priestbishop is a pretty massive shitheel.

Also probably a very minor thing, but I decided to do fades instead of speeding up for the fights this time. Hopefully those worked out better than trying to do chipmunk time.

Whoops, I thought Edward was the priest lol.

I have no problems with Eddie then.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Are we sure James isn't a villain using Koudelka and Edward for his own means here? I keep expecting a sudden yet inevitable betrayal from him.

Also, I actual recognized a couple of those monster designs as having showed up in Shadow Hearts. Neat! Specifically the upside-down multihead ghost with the gun and the dead baby orb. Actually that dead baby orb is an optional super boss. I guess it hit the gym between games if it was just a normal enemy here.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The thing that struck me when I played this game years ago was that all the characters are kinda assholes. None of them seem to be particularly charitable or warm people.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

UnwiseTrout posted:

The thing that struck me when I played this game years ago was that all the characters are kinda assholes. None of them seem to be particularly charitable or warm people.

There's more grounded moments later on, but for the most part, yeah. However, the voice acting really sells it well, and there's really no other jRPG out there with this kind of party banter outside of maybe NieR.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Joining the chorus of people who love the voice acting and mocap in this game. Although I hear that Koudelka can be tricky to play, it still remains an incredibly memorable game for me. The writing and atmosphere are wonderful as is, but voice actors are excellent and make the events sound believable. I love these rear end in a top hat characters, especially when it doesn't feel like they want to be in a team together, but do so because they have no choice.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The game wouldn't be nearly as good if they were three buddies, the low simmering animosity really adds to the atmosphere.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Edvarius posted:

Are we sure James isn't a villain using Koudelka and Edward for his own means here? I keep expecting a sudden yet inevitable betrayal from him.

Also, I actual recognized a couple of those monster designs as having showed up in Shadow Hearts. Neat! Specifically the upside-down multihead ghost with the gun and the dead baby orb. Actually that dead baby orb is an optional super boss. I guess it hit the gym between games if it was just a normal enemy here.

I think it's funny that dead-baby-orb monster appears in every game afterward. I'm happy that Koudelka's monster designer stuck around for Shadow Hearts and its sequels.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 4, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I think it's funny that dead-baby-orb monster appears in every game afterward. I'm happy that Koudelka's monster designer stuck around for Shadow Hearts and its sequels.
Yeah, it's fun to learn more about this game from my girlfriend. She's a big Shadow Hearts' fan and she only attempted to play this once when she was back in her teens, so she's pointing out some things that carried over that she knows of from the other Shadow Hearts games. There's one character coming up in a couple of videos that she's especially happy to have pop up since he's one of the few that seems to show up throughout the series.

Edvarius posted:

There definitely is some ulterior motives for James; especially considering the elderly couple didn't try to poison or attack him and we don't really have a clear idea of why he's there. But likewise we don't really know why Edward is there either or if everything Koudelka has said is on the up and up. I mean we've seen that she is psychic, so it could be that she's merely answering the call of some long dead spirit in the monastery; and she usually seems straight forward, but you just never know. This is a group of strangers drawn into a very out of the way place that no sane person should be and it's hard to say who's telling the truth and who isn't....at least for right now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The fact is, everyone is using each other to some degree: James is clearly being less than forthcoming about his reasons for being at the monastery, Edward broke into the place, but was attacked before he could do anything and Koudelka herself is essentially using the other two as meat shields while she finds out who in the hell called her there in the first place. The only time they all stop bickering and put aside their differences is when there's something bigger to deal with.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I think a big reason I'm fine with all the main characters being assholes is that the game doesn't try to hide it, It doesn't pretend they are cool or just ribbing on each other. Other than the Kane & Lynch games I can't really think of any other game that does this with it's rear end in a top hat protagonists.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Hel posted:

I think a big reason I'm fine with all the main characters being assholes is that the game doesn't try to hide it, It doesn't pretend they are cool or just ribbing on each other. Other than the Kane & Lynch games I can't really think of any other game that does this with it's rear end in a top hat protagonists.

NieR does this a bit with Kaine at first. But, like this game, she is humanized down the road.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This time around we find out that it seems that both Edward and James seem to have some underlying issues (or just a general need to work on their 'people skills'). Also hey, who put all this Jewish mysticism in my Christian monastery? Maybe we'll be finding out soon enough....

And finally since I didn't have anything to make a bonus video on this time around, I decided instead to show off this:

This black beauty is Alice, one of my girlfriend's cats, who was named after one of the main characters from Shadow Hearts (who is just named Alice and isn't a princess; that's clearly the name of a boat). She's a scared little baby who only likes to smooch me when I sleep and I like her as well. She's a pretty good girl all around.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel naming your cat Alice is inauspicious.

Also: The Daniel featured is probably meant to be the one the Book of Daniel is named after; he was mostly known for being captured by King Nebuchadnezzar, winning said king's favor with his interpretation of dreams and omens, and getting tossed into a lion's den when people jealous of his influence informed the king that he'd been worshiping the Israelite God instead of the king himself.

It's from his story that we get the idioms 'the writing on the wall' (one of the omens that Daniel interpreted), and, of course, 'into the lion's den'.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I really like the encounter with Elias ("That's bull and you know it, you pig-headed, old, bigot!"). Mostly for his voice acting, and for what Edward does. James' reaction is really well animated.

Also... did the programmers code the boxes so that they could be poisoned? I totally caught that.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2017

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Edward is stone-cold! It's a nice way to keep the player on edge about who the party members are and why they are actually in the monastery. When Koudelka had her vision, the man standing in front of the big tree-looking thing did kind of look like Edward too, although that might just be a coincidence.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
OK, James might be a pig-headed old bigot, but I think Ed just lost any claims to moral superiority after killing a man to prove a point, even if there was a practical reason as well.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That adorable puddy tat tho.

I used to have a black cat named Shadow (after the ff6 character). Never stopped missing him.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Rosario" is the Japanese for "rosary," by the way, via Portuguese (and ultimately Latin).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Wanna pet that cat. :five:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Koudelka lies in the big pile of games my child self scooped up back in the day with little to no foreknowledge of what I was getting into. Any time I see one of those games today I always get a big nostalgia shock. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

FunkMonkey posted:

Koudelka lies in the big pile of games my child self scooped up back in the day with little to no foreknowledge of what I was getting into. Any time I see one of those games today I always get a big nostalgia shock. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
I had a number of similar situations in the past myself as a kid. Whether it be the PS1 Clock Tower game or the first Galerians game; it was a weird time for games. But it all worked out cause it gave me a pretty open mind for these games.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Wanna pet that cat. :five:
You can try, but she is a scared baby. Thankfully her cat sister Chiku is a lot more friendly and is always happy to come up and say hi.

Hirayuki posted:

"Rosario" is the Japanese for "rosary," by the way, via Portuguese (and ultimately Latin).
Oh yeah, that reminds me of that slightly ecchi anime about a supernatural high school and a buxom vampire. Or ummmm something less incriminating...

coleman francis posted:

That adorable puddy tat tho.

I used to have a black cat named Shadow (after the ff6 character). Never stopped missing him.
It's always good to still have those pleasant memories of pets past and Shadow is a pretty good name all around.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

Same here, but what's more interesting is that Shadow Hearts 1 was a similar story where I picked it up with absolutely no idea what it was about and no idea it was even a sequel of sorts to Koudelka. I remember being very confused and had my mind kind of blown once Shadow Hearts started referencing this game heavily.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I think the most poignant one was when I saw Retsupurae doing a playthrough of T.R.A.G., which I got at a flea market ages ago for like $3. I was like "no loving way."

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Things definitely go from bad to worse this time around as we get some very important bits of backstory and a friendly reminder that things can get pretty dark for people....real dark.

And for our bonus this time around, we get to read what we found locked away in that cabinet: Bonus 4- Sophia's Letters. Yeah, they'll make a bit more sense next time around but I figured it'd be good to get them out of the way this time around.

edit:
Additionally something that I forgot to mention in the video is that there was a weapon removed for the US release of the game that I almost felt was maybe a bit of censorship (which is odd considering what we get in this video otherwise). But it seems there is a mace type weapon for casters you can find out by Daniel's Grave and I'm sad we don't get it since I'm playing the US release:

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 16, 2017

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
One thing that struck me was that Koudelka's design looked off... and then it struck me that miniskirts were invented around the 1950s-60s when the game is set in 1898! Or is there something I'm missing about why she's wearing what she's wearing?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm enjoying this LP, as I never played the title back in the day. The challenge for me is the writing - all of the main characters are so acerbic and awful. I'm not saying I need your typical noble heroes, but every cutscene has the trio at eachother's throats or just flat out contemptuous of one another. I get the fragile alliance angle, but jeez, it's pretty rough. E: of course there's an ever so slight change this episode!

Will you be lp'ing the remaining shadow hearts titles, OP?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 16, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Flat Banana posted:

One thing that struck me was that Koudelka's design looked off... and then it struck me that miniskirts were invented around the 1950s-60s when the game is set in 1898! Or is there something I'm missing about why she's wearing what she's wearing?

take your pick of 'easier to move around in', 'easier to render', ':japan:', or 'this place is crawling with horror movie monsters and the miniskirt is what you're worried about?'.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leraika posted:

take your pick of 'easier to move around in', 'easier to render', ':japan:', or 'this place is crawling with horror movie monsters and the miniskirt is what you're worried about?'.
Hmmm, it's actually something covered more in the fairly long manga that was released along with the game. But the long and short of it is that Koudelka has amnesia, runs out of an asylum, and finds shelter in a brothel with friendly prostitutes. So in turn she sometimes borrows clothes from them....or maybe she is a prostitute? I'm not sure, I haven't gotten around to reading it though I should. Apparently it's got evil doctors harvesting aborted fetuses that they are keeping alive for some dark magic.

Cakefarts Carol posted:

Will you be lp'ing the remaining shadow hearts titles, OP?
I'm not really sure how well that'd come off in video format as that's a bit closer to a normal full length JRPG. This one is a bit more manageable cause it's relative short for an RPG, though I've still managed to put probably 20-30 hours base play time into it just for the LP.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Shadow Hearts 1 has roughly the same playtime as Koudelka, even with 100% completion and showing off both endings.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah if anything, Shadow Hearts 1 would probably be easier to LP in video format than Koudelka. If you're going to do Covenant and From the New World though, that probably will be a bit too much.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Also one thing to note: The Gargoyle appears to be coded to give you many, many, many turns to escape. You can actually use him as a spell-leveling grind similar to Valna + Vigna for at least a little bit. Even if he starts casting spells, he sometimes just ends up not doing anything.

You could also sit around and use the VIT-boost spell and boost Koudelka's defense sky high so that even his physical attacks will just scratch her. I believe it's impossible to damage him at all in that battle, though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Also one thing to note: The Gargoyle appears to be coded to give you many, many, many turns to escape. You can actually use him as a spell-leveling grind similar to Valna + Vigna for at least a little bit. Even if he starts casting spells, he sometimes just ends up not doing anything.

You could also sit around and use the VIT-boost spell and boost Koudelka's defense sky high so that even his physical attacks will just scratch her. I believe it's impossible to damage him at all in that battle, though.
Yeah, I ended up using Valna and Vigna to do some off screen spell grinding with the upcoming video though you are correct that they do give you plenty of turns before the gargoyle decides to attack, so you can also technically grind there too. Still I was already weary that the video was going on a bit long and I thought it was enough to show it being invincible (though probably like the twins you might be able to poison it and just sit there forever until the poison kills it).

Also since I had some time today, I read through all the volumes of the Koudelka manga and I was wrong regarding her clothes that she has in that. The manga is actually a sequel to the events of the game but were kinda ret-conned out by the later Shadow Hearts game and the clothes she is given are the ones from the game that she was found with when she was picked up and put in the asylum. From the wiki page on her though, she was still apparently a prostitute at some point? Also I'd say overall that the manga wasn't too bad and the whole harvesting pregnant prostitutes for their half formed fetuses to feed a devilish ritual was pretty dark.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I'm starting to think this monastery might not be quite as wholesome as it appears to be

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
While I have gone through all of Koudelka before, I watch this LP with Auto-Caption enabled on Youtube because I wanted to make sure that I could tell what words were being said. It's not perfect, but it helps me appreciate the dialogue a lot more. But it's definitely not perfect. Here, this is how I experienced the death and drowning of countless innocent people on a sinking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I have to admit that seeing Bessy blow her own head off was a bit shocking. I'm not entirely sure what it was that finally made her decide enough was enough though. Was it James showing up to try and find Patrick?

• Locked thread