Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
low density compared to dhaka, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As somebody who still fucks around with this from time to time, I think it's hilarious that they hosed this all to pieces. There's a 2000+ strong (strong is being used incredibly loosely here, folks) population that's dedicated enough to run around in discord and facebook groups around here because we get a lot of pokemon nests for being a pretty small town, have a huge amount of raids constantly going off, and have a ton of pokestops downtown, so it never really died around here. And what the gently caress else are you going to do in the Augusta/Aiken area? Everything to do is outrageous expensive. At least this is free.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I would like to try Malort. All I know is that it tastes gross, but is it THAT gross?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
i did not think anyone outside of chicago ever drank malort for any reason whatsoever

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

I.C. posted:

I would like to try Malort. All I know is that it tastes gross, but is it THAT gross?

its standard practice to take a photo of someone who has never done a shot of malort before while they are taking a shot of malort. some chicagoans have p enviable collections fo these photos

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat if Chicago is a low density city what is Des Moinse?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neukoln19 posted:

its standard practice to take a photo of someone who has never done a shot of malort before while they are taking a shot of malort. some chicagoans have p enviable collections fo these photos

If you meet an old lady who looks like she parties, instead of unfolding her purse to reveal dozens of photos of grandchildren its all Malort Reaction Shots while she calls them various increasingly vile invectives.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

berth ell pup posted:

chicago is low density? no really i have no idea i've never been and don't care to go.

Chicago proper has a population density of about 11,000 people per square mile. In contrast, New York City's density is about 27,000.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

drat if Chicago is a low density city what is Des Moinse?

Not a city

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

turn off the TV posted:

Chicago proper has a population density of about 11,000 people per square mile. In contrast, New York City's density is about 27,000.

new york is a low density city compared to the city of a thousand planets

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

china bot posted:

new york is a low density city compared to the city of a thousand planets

Well yeah, it's not even one planet and they got a thousand.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As somebody who still fucks around with this from time to time, I think it's hilarious that they hosed this all to pieces. There's a 2000+ strong (strong is being used incredibly loosely here, folks) population that's dedicated enough to run around in discord and facebook groups around here because we get a lot of pokemon nests for being a pretty small town, have a huge amount of raids constantly going off, and have a ton of pokestops downtown, so it never really died around here. And what the gently caress else are you going to do in the Augusta/Aiken area? Everything to do is outrageous expensive. At least this is free.

Tell me more about your pony AV.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Pokémon go suck my balls op

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
People still play that stupid game?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

At one point it seemed like everyone in the world was playing or talking about this game. The company that made it must've been making millions on a daily basis.

Despite this, and for reasons I'll never fathom, they left the game to languish and rot for several weeks, even going as far as to actually remove basic functionality like actually being able to find Pokemon in a game about finding Pokemon.

It's hard to imagine a company loving up a sure thing so badly, but here we are.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress every single one of those people

i hope they all get facefucked to death!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chinatown posted:

gently caress every single one of those people

i hope they all get facefucked to death!

I'm pretty sure a lot of them would like to have someone gently caress them.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
You don't really do Pokemon stuff in the game, right? Like you catch Pokemon but don't manage them through fights?

I don't know how it works

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
pokemon no go. alternatively, chiraq: white edition

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I.C. posted:

when I introduce it to people I tell them to have a chaser ready, but not water, cuz that makes it worse

it's really really bad but a unique kind of bad that you'll find yourself, months after barely holding down a shot of it, kinda jonesing for

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

emoji posted:

I find it hard to believe anyone used that app longer than a week after it came out, OP.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I don't know who is worse, the nerds playing this game or the desperate for approval goons making sure the rest of us know how much they defernately absolutely hate this game.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i haven't played it but you can tell its a bad game

from the people who are really into it

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Nintendo just keeps loving up with Pokemon Go, lmao

Having said that, me and my five-year old play it when it's warm outside. It's fun at times.

Zorodius posted:

You don't really do Pokemon stuff in the game, right? Like you catch Pokemon but don't manage them through fights?

I don't know how it works

You can fight them against Pokemon left in gyms possessed by other teams. You used to be able to train by fighting against your own team's guys in gyms, too, but they removed that for some reason.

The fighting is very one-sided, since the Pokemon in the gyms are controlled by AI and don't dodge attacks. You basically just tap on them while using a Pokemon that hurts them super effectively until they fall over, and dodge their big attacks.

You can't fight one on one, can't trade, there's no capitalizing on the multiplayer aspect aside from raids, where 1-20 people are needed to fight some rare Pokemon for XP and spiffy berries and the chance to catch the Pokemon after fighting it. The game is basically just randomly running around, trying to find anything besides the ten basic Pokemon that are everywhere, people forever kicking each other out of gyms, and slowly grinding enough candy to evolve / power up whatever you happen to have stumbled across.

It's not the worst, but it could be a lot better.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I would say they should go to portillos while in Chicago, but they'd probably order a dog pain and put some ketchup on it. Hell, they'd probably order an Italian beef but complain about it being soggy

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Nintendo just keeps loving up with Pokemon Go, lmao

Having said that, me and my five-year old play it when it's warm outside. It's fun at times.

You can fight them against Pokemon left in gyms possessed by other teams. You used to be able to train by fighting against your own team's guys in gyms, too, but they removed that for some reason.

The fighting is very one-sided, since the Pokemon in the gyms are controlled by AI and don't dodge attacks. You basically just tap on them while using a Pokemon that hurts them super effectively until they fall over, and dodge their big attacks.

You can't fight one on one, can't trade, there's no capitalizing on the multiplayer aspect aside from raids, where 1-20 people are needed to fight some rare Pokemon for XP and spiffy berries and the chance to catch the Pokemon after fighting it. The game is basically just randomly running around, trying to find anything besides the ten basic Pokemon that are everywhere, people forever kicking each other out of gyms, and slowly grinding enough candy to evolve / power up whatever you happen to have stumbled across.

It's not the worst, but it could be a lot better.

It is kind of amazing that they took a series all about walking around and catching critters to then go make fight vs the critters of others in a fairly simple turn based RPG combat with enough tactical decisions that is has become a beloved format for RPG junkies and made a game where you don't do that at all. Instead it's some kind of furious tapping minigame you plow through by grinding.

Like, wow, it's impressive that they missed the mark by that much.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Space Skeleton posted:

It is kind of amazing that they took a series all about walking around and catching critters to then go make fight vs the critters of others in a fairly simple turn based RPG combat with enough tactical decisions that is has become a beloved format for RPG junkies and made a game where you don't do that at all. Instead it's some kind of furious tapping minigame you plow through by grinding.

It is. I'm just old enough that I didn't get into Pokemon back when it first became big, but I checked out some of the games after initially enjoying the "track down and hoard weird creatures" aspect. The turn-based system is much better, IMO.

And it's not like you can just stroll by a gym and beat it without stopping, so the "it's a game where you walk!" aspect doesn't excuse the crap fighting mechanics. It can take 10-15 minutes to clear out a gym full of high-level Pokemon with full or near-full health. Each Pokemon has to be knocked out three times before it's kicked out of a gym unless someone else has already whooped it fairly hard, and each gym can hold up to six Pokemon. I dunno.

You can also shove berries down the throats of your Pokemon while someone is attacking one of your gyms, but since you get way more potions from Pokestops than berries, and the berries have other uses, it's not really a good strategy. Waiting until the weird neckbeard dude with the loud flappy sandals trudges back to his mom's house and then taking the gun back is a better strategy.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Space Skeleton posted:

Sounds like, "here's Baseball, but we removed the bases, and the other players, and now you just nudge baseballs into a cup with a tennis racket. But we kept your favorite team logos!"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Pokemon Go is good because it keeps my kids entertained while we wait in line at the local amusement park.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

berth ell pup posted:

i had half of a pony shot ten minutes ago and i can still taste it after a 16oz pbr and a cigarette

here is a terrible pic of me holding a bottle of it on my patio.

e: i do not live in the midwest despite the shirt and liquor combination

I had a coworker about 10 years ago who was really into Doomtree and Transformers (the animated stuff, not the Michael Bay garbage). At least he had good musical taste.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon Go, it's outsourced to a phone game company who appears to be barely competent at best.

It's basically a Pokemon-themed scavenger hunt for people who think actual Pokemon games are for kids and nerds.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Sentient Data posted:

I would say they should go to portillos while in Chicago, but they'd probably order a dog pain and put some ketchup on it. Hell, they'd probably order an Italian beef but complain about it being soggy

smart people like us know to be grateful when you order a sandwich and receive something soggy instead

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Tell me more about your pony AV.

Somebody got mad that I said their rescue was poo poo for letting a horse walk around on it's heels for the rest of it's life instead of euthanizing it humanely so they bought me some retarded avatar

Inescapable Duck posted:

Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon Go, it's outsourced to a phone game company who appears to be barely competent at best.

It's basically a Pokemon-themed scavenger hunt for people who think actual Pokemon games are for kids and nerds.

Niantic did pretty good with their old version of this game, Ingress. But it was also incredibly low tech and did still have occasional issues where a point wouldn't respond or wouldn't update properly or whatever.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can pokemon game not have trainer battle trading or actual combat

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

504 posted:

I don't know who is worse, the nerds playing this game or the desperate for approval goons making sure the rest of us know how much they defernately absolutely hate this game.

Oh, look at Mr. Middle-of-the-road here. Enjoy being criminally boring you weasel. Hahaha... lik my ballz

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Durzel posted:

At one point it seemed like everyone in the world was playing or talking about this game. The company that made it must've been making millions on a daily basis.

They probably still are. The ones that bailed early are the same ones who probably don't care enough to spend money on IAPs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean drat, if you're putting that much effort into sim scavenger hunt just buy the real Pokemon made by real game developers, you can explore virtual Hawaii and pat your Pokemon on the head.

Phone games are like the worst of all worlds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

They probably still are. The ones that bailed early are the same ones who probably don't care enough to spend money on IAPs.

I installed it because of my work, uninstalled it within like, 2 days because of a complete lack of features. Anyone still playing is a broke brain money funnel.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Inescapable Duck posted:

Phone games are like the worst of all worlds.

It's true. The only reason these things (tablet and cellphone games) are still being made is that they stimulate the same emotional responses as gambling and developers know that they can get any number of people to drop money like kids used to at the arcade on something that took an artist and developer three days and next to no money to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Toadvine posted:

smart people like us know to be grateful when you order a sandwich and receive something soggy instead

now i wanna go to chicago

its either greasy or its got some special sauce hook me the gently caress up

• Locked thread