Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

Superman’s dead (but not really). Darkseid is coming (but not in this movie). So Batman and Wonder Woman are going to gather up a few other people – the Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman – and fight some lesser dude (Steppenwolf) to establish the team dynamic, set up some more solo films, and set the stage for the big guy. Plastic Man isn't in it, so it's already starting off on the wrong foot.

This movie has a lot of pressure on it. Despite Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice being great, some idiots didn't like it. And while it made a lot of money, maybe it didn’t make enough? And then Wonder Woman did great, so there's going to be this whole line on whether this movie is like that one or not, and is that because of reshoots, and is that good or bad. So you're going to see takes from a lot of different angles. And that's understandable, but please, when talking about it try to include at least a bit about your personal thoughts on this thing.

And it gets worse. Following a family tragedy, Zack Snyder left the picture in May and was replaced with Joss Whedon to finish filming, including reshoots, and oversee the editing. And it's going to be easy to filter everything about this movie through the lens of that switch. So let’s just keep in mind that movie-making is a complex process and who did what is hard to untangle from the outside. Snyder fans: it’s entirely possible that Joss Whedon will be involved with a good part of this movie, after all, Age of Ultron was at least an improvement over The Avengers. Snyder haters: I’ll never understand you, but you’re welcome here, so just leave Snyder’s kid out of it.

Directed by: Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon, together at last

Written by:
* Screenplay: Chris Terrio
* Story: Zack Snyder and Chris Terrio
* Additional scenes: Joss Whedon
* Characters: Bob Kane, Bill Finger, William Moulton Marston, Joe Shuster, Jerry Siegel

Cinematography by: Fabian Wagner

Music by: Danny Elfman

Film Editing by: David Brenner

Starring
Gal Gadot as Diana Prince / Wonder Woman

Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne / Batman

Henry Cavill as Clark Kent / Superman

Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry / Aquaman

Ezra Miller as Barry Allen / The Flash

Ray Fisher as Victor Stone / Cyborg

Ciarán Hinds as Steppenwolf

Also Featuring
Love Interests
* Amy Adams as Lois Lane
* Kiersey Clemons as Iris West

Parents
* Diane Lane as Martha Kent
* Joe Morton as Dr. Silas Stone
* Billy Crudup as Henry Allen

Batbuddies
* Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth
* J.K. Simmons as Commissioner Gordon

Amazons
* Robin Wright as Antiope
* Connie Nielsen as Queen Hippolyta

Atlanteans
* Amber Heard as Mera
* Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko

And Also
* Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

The film will be released in the United States on November 17.

Please use spoiler tags until December 1 to give a two-week window in which people can read spoiler-free reactions.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Whedon stepping in has me worried. Snyder and him have two very distinct clashing styles that don't mesh well together.

Also, Whedon sucks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yaws posted:

Whedon stepping in has me worried. Snyder and him have two very distinct clashing styles that don't mesh well together.

Also, Whedon sucks

There's always going to be a part of my brain trying to pick out where Whedon might have changed something. I was already doing it in the newest SDCC trailer. I'm finding that having this kind of predisposition is sort of annoying because I thought some shots in the new trailer looked kinda Whedon-esque. Like the scenes from this particular sequence, visually, looks very Whedon to me:

Think it's the flat lighting.

Everything with Diana looked loving awesome though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward for another bland comic book movie. I hope it's able to follow up Suicide Squad's success.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
DC films are a lot of things but bland is not one of them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like a superhero movie, but with good visuals.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I liked everything with Ezra Miller a lot. Gut feeling he's going to be everyone's favorite :3:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm so intimidated.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Apparently this is going to be the last DC film with Ben Affleck as Batman due to the actor realizing what a dumpster fire the DCEU is.

And yeah, the whole thing with Joss Whedon directing half of this is just a recipe for disaster. Whedon and Snyder employ two completely different styles of filmmaking; I don't see how it's going to mesh very well. I could be wrong!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Age of Ultron was at least an improvement over The Avengers.

On what planet? Like, Avengers is dogshit, but Age of Ultron is just pure misery in cinematic form.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

On what planet? Like, Avengers is dogshit, but Age of Ultron is just pure misery in cinematic form.

I wasn't looking to muddy up the OP with my personal views, so I just went with the consensus opinion. If you want to get into Avengers vs Ultron, I'd prefer you keep it in the main comics thread.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm liking the potential for Cyborg to do some insane poo poo involving taking over giant pieces of machinery.

But I think I'm gonna have to ignore the whole rumor mill thing (i.e. all the press) until the movie comes out; arguments over exactly what role Whedon is playing are gonna get pretty obnoxious.

EDIT: In terms of consensus, Age of Ultron had a 17% drop in Rotten Tomatoes score, and (apparently) made less money despite the Marvel movie hype-train debateably being even more active. I wouldn't otherwise bring this stuff up, but I think it's fairly safe to say the overall reaction was that it was at least a slight downgrade.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 22, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Martman posted:

In terms of consensus

Seriously, let's not rehash Avengers here. There is an entire other thread for generally talking about these movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Some speculation on twitterverse:
https://twitter.com/DCEUniverse/status/888874918405976065

That could be a cool curveball for the Justice League movie to pursue I think.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Seriously, let's not rehash Avengers here. There is an entire other thread for generally talking about these movies.

The director of Avengers is also partially directing this movie. It's relevant.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yaws posted:

The director of Avengers is also partially directing this movie. It's relevant.

Yeah, I was hoping we'd do more than just rehash old arguments, but fine.

Then to answer the question: Avengers is truly bad-looking, while Age of Ultron looks no worse than Days of Future Past, Doctor Strange, or any other mid-tier comic book movie. It just doesn't get credit for being the first.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RedSpider posted:

Apparently this is going to be the last DC film with Ben Affleck as Batman due to the actor realizing what a dumpster fire the DCEU is.

lol I take it you missed the news.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

teagone posted:

there's no way that casting would have stayed secret this long, and they're trying to keep TV and movies separate so I don't think they'd just borrow Melissa Benoist for a day or anything. It's a cute theory but I think it's just Superman he's looking at.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DC Murderverse posted:

there's no way that casting would have stayed secret this long, and they're trying to keep TV and movies separate so I don't think they'd just borrow Melissa Benoist for a day or anything. It's a cute theory but I think it's just Superman he's looking at.

No no, clearly it's Nightwing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drifter posted:

No no, clearly it's Nightwing.

Cant be, Alfred is looking at a face.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

DC films are a lot of things but bland is not one of them.

For all the shittyness this is why the DCEU is more interesting to me than the MCU at this point. Every marvel movie is just so loving bland for the most part.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barudak posted:

Cant be, Alfred is looking at a face.

This made me laugh. Good poo poo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

They could do a callback to the empty casket on the scout ship and have it be some random Kryptonian woman who was active whenever it was that thing crashed. No need for there to be a casting announcement for that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DC Murderverse posted:

Is Superman, you can see the pants on the hologram :v:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It'd be cool if it was a Supergirl though. I'd appreciate it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has anybody said it's Martian Manhunter yet?

It's Martian Manhunter.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/rehsifyar/status/888919630235844608

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's the Justice League panel from SDCC. Watched some clips of it on twitter, and it's fun :) Ezra is the best... after Gal though of course :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltriuluIhM

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

I thought they said "no Atlantans" since it shows Aquaman in a previous shot. Maybe he's kept a low profile and just helped locals.

Also Affleck said at SDCC today that he has the full support of WB for the standalone Batman movie.

Reposting this

*in an extremely Ken Burns narrator voice* "It was at this point in the robbery that David and the rest of the gang began to realize that they had really hosed up."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought they said "no Atlantans" since it shows Aquaman in a previous shot. Maybe he's kept a low profile and just helped locals.

People from Atlantis are called Atlanteans. VO definitely says "no lanterns."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I feel it's too early to really form an opinion, but I'm digging the reinforcement in the reminder that this is a post BvS world, where all the brokebrainness of not trusting Superman is dead and buried. People are mourning him, and his inevitable return will be praised.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Not if they do a repeat of Legacy from STAS

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

People from Atlantis are called Atlanteans. VO definitely says "no lanterns."
Ah, OK. I wasn't sure if they were called Atlantians or Atlantans.

I posted this in the WW thread but I guess it's more appropriate here

The beginning of the trailer reminded me a bit of the bank robbery scene in The Dark Knight. Having Diana save a class from an all girls school was a nice touch and seeing her dodge incoming fire in real time (at about 2:47) was cool. Showing up to work everyday in haute couture is impressive.

Seeing the Amazons in action again yessssssssssss.

"I miss the days where the greatest threat was from wind up exploding penguins" a nice nod to Batman Returns.

"I've never done battle. I just push people and run away" & "Oh wow they just vanish. That's rude." lol The shot of Barry breaking the glass with his finger tip was super cool.

"I don't recognize this world anymore." "You don't have to recognize it. You just have to save it" = "It's not about deserve, it's about what you believe." a bit of a role reversal of Bruce and Alfred from BvS where Bruce didn't give a gently caress anymore and Alfred was trying to make him see that he did matter.

Also, I've never read the comics but is Diana sort of the leader of the JL? She gives them that talk about not engaging alone and they have to work together and then she's fighting Steppenwolf one on one later.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Why did they give Cyborg the Target logo?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some people are thinking there's a Green reflection on Alfred's glasses at the end of the trailer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Really because you can obviously see Superman's shoulder in blue. Like in the loving shot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some people are thinking there's a Green reflection on Alfred's glasses at the end of the trailer.

Martian Manhunter is green.

Hollismason posted:

Really because you can obviously see Superman's shoulder in blue. Like in the loving shot.

Martian Manhunter wears blue.

This bandwagon is filling up fast, people! Better jump on now!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Seriously though Cyborg has the Target logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hollismason posted:

Hollismason posted:

Seriously though Cyborg has the Target logo.

Ask the LexCorp intern who designed the logos we first saw on the drive in BvS.