Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

He should stop egging on his weird fandom given their behavior of harassing people online.

A take hotter than Zods heat vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

LinYutang posted:

He should stop egging on his weird fandom given their behavior of harassing people online.

You can gently caress right off with this bullshit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's as true as the free speech hating tumblr crowd that idiots like to bring up when talking about "the radical left".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Those are only storyboards and yet I got more of an emotional reaction out of them than anything in the Justice League they released.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jimbot posted:

That's as true as the free speech hating tumblr crowd that idiots like to bring up when talking about "the radical left".

I think the past decade or so has proven that people who go on and on about free speech are simply trolling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Like is someone gonna see a storyboard and decide to send a death threat to a WB executive?

Most likely yes.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the past decade or so has proven that people who go on and on about free speech are simply trolling.

If only trump were trolling

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/12/04/henry-cavill-mustache-brandon-routh-legends-tomorrow/

Superman had a mustache and they tried to remove it but it only looked worse.

Just maybe not in the way you were expecting

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rhyno posted:

Most likely yes.

If only it wasn't hollow . . .

edit: to be clear, executives should be killed primarily to redistribute their wealth. To revenge nerd story decisions would be a mere secondary reason

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I just randomly rewatched the scene where Wayne recruits Flash because apparently that's where I stopped watching the movie the last time I tried to rewatch it. I like that scene, it quickly establishes Flash's abilities and limitations, which are that he is socially awkward and might not be able to use his ability to its fullest quite yet. Also Batman finally admits what his real superpower is. It's a charming scene. Too bad about the rest of the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I just randomly rewatched the scene where Wayne recruits Flash because apparently that's where I stopped watching the movie the last time I tried to rewatch it. I like that scene, it quickly establishes Flash's abilities and limitations, which are that he is socially awkward and might not be able to use his ability to its fullest quite yet. Also Batman finally admits what his real superpower is. It's a charming scene. Too bad about the rest of the movie.

I'm pretty sure that was actually directed by Snyder, since an almost complete version of that scene was in one of the first 'sneak peaks'

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
There's still some awkward cut-ins from reshoots in the scene, like that part where the Flash goes off about brunch.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Remember the old rhyme:

If a Widow's Peak does Bruce Wayne bear,
Original shooting is in your care.
If Batman's hairline flat remains,
Careless reshoots cause your pains.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Beware the red face of Wayne!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Almost Blue posted:

There's still some awkward cut-ins from reshoots in the scene, like that part where the Flash goes off about brunch.

I honestly don't mind that bit, probably because it fits Flash's character and Batman doesn't also devolve into a quip-machine, he keeps the straight man act up fairly well. "Bubbly socially awkward nerd" is one of Whedon's stock characters and it kinda works with Flash.

After that scene I made a mistake, I continued watching. That horrible gif of Superman punching Steppenwolf is bad but there are several moments that are just as bad, like when Wonder Woman confronts Steppenwolf in the tunnel, 50 seconds into this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LoBx812Ujs

The way Steppenwolf dodges WW's sword at the end there made me laugh out loud, I could practically hear one of the players whoop because they found out which button to press to dodge. And then Flash falls into Wonder Woman's boobies.

It's been said often but bears repeating, the movie is just a mess of baffling edits and directionless scenes. Later in the movie, Steppenwolf grabs one of his demons by the throat and lifts it up, shouting at the others to go and find his mother's box. It reads like a typical "Darth Vader is dissatisfied with his underling and makes an example of them as he instructs the rest of his army to go and do stuff" scene, but we never saw what that demon did to piss Steppenwolf off. In fact, we never see the demons to anything, except getting splatted by Batman. They don't talk, they don't interact with each other in any meaningful way and they are not distinctive from one another at all, so it's puzzling why Steppenwolf would grab one and strangle him to death while screaming at the other demons. Neither them nor the audience gives a poo poo.

All that said, I still like some of the close-ups of Steppenwolf's face. I don't recognize Ciarán Hinds in there, like, at all. But Steppenwolf has some facial expressions that make him come across as a kind of bemused zealot, someone who thinks he's enlightened and can only smirk at the bullshit the world in general throws at him. That's interesting, but the movie utterly fails to give his conviction any kind of substance.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was watching BvS last night and I don’t know if it was my imagination, but it seems like there are bits when Bruce is talking and his voice briefly slips into the modulated Batman voice.

The best example I can think of is when Alfred confronts him about the White Portuguese and Bruce goes on his “1% chance” rant. When Alfred asks him “You’re going to go to war?” and Bruce replies with “That son of a bitch brought the war to us!” the last portion of that sentence sounds like it’s in Batman’s voice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly, Kevin Smith leaked more stuff about Snyder's cut.

-Among the production crew, Snyder's version was called 'Justice League'... Joss' version was called 'Josstice League'...

-Jim Lee had drawn-up breakdown boards for a trilogy of films

-Large similarities in first film to the final product (Steppenwolfe), but final 'boomtube' would have revealed Darkseid, where the League sees him, and he sees them before Steppenwolfe escapes

-A version of Alfred's scene "Let's hope you're not too late" had green lights on-set to project a green glow... would have been a Green Lantern instead of Superman

-Second film was to "go cosmic", have the team take the fight to Apokolips (and presumably involve New Genesis). Green Lantern Corps would've been involved

-Team would've got their asses kicked in second film and lost, and Darkseid would have gone to Earth and completely wrecked poo poo

-The BvS Knightmare sequence was literally a sneak preview of the Third film with the heroes returning to Earth to make a last stand

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

-The BvS Knightmare sequence was literally a sneak preview of the Third film with the heroes returning to Earth to make a last stand

So Batman can see the future?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

-A version of Alfred's scene "Let's hope you're not too late" had green lights on-set to project a green glow... would have been a Green Lantern instead of Superman

-Second film was to "go cosmic", have the team take the fight to Apokolips (and presumably involve New Genesis). Green Lantern Corps would've been involved

-Team would've got their asses kicked in second film and lost, and Darkseid would have gone to Earth and completely wrecked poo poo

Little disappointed we're not getting this, gotta say. The little bit of Zack Snyder superhero space opera we got at the start of Man of Steel is incredible.

Davros1 posted:

So Batman can see the future?

It's almost certainly an after-effect of the Flash's time travel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

[quote="Sir Kodiak" post=""49216532"]

It's almost certainly an after-effect of the Flash's time travel.
[/quote]

It's an after-effect of poor script writing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Davros1 posted:

It's an after-effect of poor script writing.

It makes perfect sense provided you haven't suffered a traumatic brain injury

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
“Somebody glimpsing things to come in their dreams isn’t an extremely common plot device even the best writers use” is the kind of statement you might say if you’ve watched three movies in your entire life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Little disappointed we're not getting this, gotta say. The little bit of Zack Snyder superhero space opera we got at the start of Man of Steel is incredible.

I have said several times that it's basically John Carter of Krypton and it fuckin' rules

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposedly, Kevin Smith leaked more stuff about Snyder's cut.

-Among the production crew, Snyder's version was called 'Justice League'... Joss' version was called 'Josstice League'...

-Jim Lee had drawn-up breakdown boards for a trilogy of films

-Large similarities in first film to the final product (Steppenwolfe), but final 'boomtube' would have revealed Darkseid, where the League sees him, and he sees them before Steppenwolfe escapes

:sigh:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have said several times that it's basically John Carter of Krypton and it fuckin' rules

Yeah, Jor-El as a Doc Savage style athlete/warrior/scientist rather than the lab-coated intellectual you get in some versions was a blast, and tells you something about his whole Superman project, and you then get a transition into something more like the latter once he's disembodied as an AI.

And then all the imagery from it that gets repeated throughout the movie helps contextualize what exactly the Kryptonian threat represents. Opens the movie with a blast while also setting up the entire story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

“Somebody glimpsing things to come in their dreams isn’t an extremely common plot device even the best writers use” is the kind of statement you might say if you’ve watched three movies in your entire life.

It rules that this is what people go to. Dream sequences are bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dream sequences aren't bad, except when it's used as a crutch just because the author can't think of another way to convey a piece of information. If the whole movie had Batman continually experiencing these visions, that's one thing. But they didn't do that.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Doesn't Batman...have crazy dreams throughout...the movie?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Batman's dream sequence in BvS conveyed information about Batman's subconscious fears and desires. A dream seems like a pretty good way of showing what's eating at a character who's otherwise very stoic and resolute.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Dream sequences aren't bad, except when it's used as a crutch just because the author can't think of another way to convey a piece of information.

Wait what? What piece of information did we get from the dream sequence that Snyder couldn't think of another way to convey to us?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Davros1 posted:

Dream sequences aren't bad, except when it's used as a crutch just because the author can't think of another way to convey a piece of information. If the whole movie had Batman continually experiencing these visions, that's one thing. But they didn't do that.

He’s introduced by a dream sequence

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

We see a number of his dreams, but only one is specifically a prophetic vision of the future (in addition to encapsulating his anxieties), which is apparently precisely the wrong number of prophetic vision to have in a movie, in a rule made up right at this moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Flash portion of that dream sequence is right out of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Lol.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

We see a number of his dreams, but only one is specifically a prophetic vision of the future (in addition to encapsulating his anxieties), which is apparently precisely the wrong number of prophetic vision to have in a movie, in a rule made up right at this moment.

Well and it's not prophetic in the movie that was released. It's a paranoid dream to show how delusional Batman is. It only (rumoredly) gets revealed as a prophecy in a future movie that wasn't filmed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Davros1 posted:

I hope to god you're trolling because holy gently caress.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait what? What piece of information did we get from the dream sequence that Snyder couldn't think of another way to convey to us?

It is, I think, the clearest portrayal in the movie of Batman's fear of being betrayed by the police, though we certainly see bits of this elsewhere with stuff like one of them shooting at him. But, then, if we didn't get some new information out of the scene it would be redundant, which actually would be bad.

It's straight-up Cinema Sins poo poo. *ding* Wrong number of prophetic dreams.

Guy A. Person posted:

Well and it's not prophetic in the movie that was released. It's a paranoid dream to show how delusional Batman is. It only (rumoredly) gets revealed as a prophecy in a future movie that wasn't filmed.

There's something to this, but given that it presages some of the information about Lois that Flash is about to tell him, I do read it as Bruce's typically fear-ridden dreams being influenced by the incoming time traveller.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

How to be bad at watching movies 101.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

While I'm so-so on Beavis I liked Man Of Steel and am very bummed we aren't ever going to get Snyder's take on Final Crisis. The Knightmare was visually great and I would have loved to see a whole movie following that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Hey Davros1, what’s it like to have the posting gimmick of being willfully obtuse about Snyder’s movies? Seems like a pretty lame gimmick, tbh