Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'm not liking the default Destroyer ship very much(feels too slow and fragile for the role it's supposed to have, especially for how limited of range it's guns have, which aren't even particularly strong), and the only reason I haven't jumped over to a Corvette is due to how many of those research stars you need to get it(especially since I rarely get more than say 150 of them for Destroyer in a given match)

Meanwhile I'd say I'm pretty decent with an Artillery ship, and with the Dreadnought as well(although Broadsides are kinda a pain in the rear end to setup properly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm not liking the default Destroyer ship very much(feels too slow and fragile for the role it's supposed to have, especially for how limited of range it's guns have, which aren't even particularly strong), and the only reason I haven't jumped over to a Corvette is due to how many of those research stars you need to get it(especially since I rarely get more than say 150 of them for Destroyer in a given match)

Meanwhile I'd say I'm pretty decent with an Artillery ship, and with the Dreadnought as well(although Broadsides are kinda a pain in the rear end to setup properly)

The proper tactic for you then would be to play a ship class you feel better about and leave the destroyer in your fleet. After a while you can use free XP and latent XP gains from fleet sharing to unlock the Dover.

But man, Destroyers are pretty loving rad when flown well, imo. Go on red sands and flank left/right and then use warp to jump directly onto/behind the enemy artillery cruisers, slam power to weapons, fire the torpedoes, and loving collect money. Alternatively, you can slowly move up, blow your load, and use warp to beat a hasty, before you turn around and take another pass.

What I'm saying is that Destroyers are excellent at cleaning up low armor, low mobility boats, if you can catch them defenseless, and that includes other destroyers. Toe to Toe with a Dreadnought or approaching arty from their front is suicidal.

:siren: This game rewards efficacy, so the more kills/points you amass, the more XP/Currency you'll be awarded at the end of the game. While playing destroyer, just sneak around and loving suicide yourself into the enemy to take 1-2 of them with you and you'll come out ahead.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to trying this out again the last few days and I'm pretty happy with the changes they've made since I played the closed beta about a year ago. The tech trees have added some variation to the game and I really like the Onslaught game mode. Onslaught helps capture the feel of two fleets clashing with tons of smaller vessels futilely duking it out as the capitals wade through. Hopefully they've got plans for another game mode or two down the line for variety's sake.

I mostly played corvettes previously and I'm still firmly a corvette pilot. The other ship types are simply too slow for me. It's just amazing zipping around the flanks to catch a couple of artillery or support ships unawares. I'm sure that'll be more difficult outside of Recruit games. :v: I've got all of the T2 ships unlocked and I'm slowly working my way towards other corvette chassis. Is there any way to sell off old ships or will they always be lurking in a hangar somewhere? Not that it really matters as long as they're not assigned to a fleet, just curious.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Is there any way to sell off old ships or will they always be lurking in a hangar somewhere? Not that it really matters as long as they're not assigned to a fleet, just curious.

No, they're yours forever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm starting to get real pissed off by the morons I'm getting teamed up with who have no idea how team balance works here, I'm starting to think this game needs hard limits on what classes can be used on a team

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

I'm starting to get real pissed off by the morons I'm getting teamed up with who have no idea how team balance works here, I'm starting to think this game needs hard limits on what classes can be used on a team

Had 6 Arty cruisers and a corvette as team members yesterday. It's amazing that some of these guys were still surprised that we lost the match.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Fly what you want, have fun, don't obsess over wins in a free to play matchmaking game.

Corvettes should not have been allowed into this game. They are way too much fun.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SavageGentleman posted:

Had 6 Arty cruisers and a corvette as team members yesterday. It's amazing that some of these guys were still surprised that we lost the match.

hilariously, like 4-5 arty and 1-2 tac cruisers is pretty strong in Veteran...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

drrockso20 posted:

Be the change

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Chilichimp posted:

hilariously, like 4-5 arty and 1-2 tac cruisers is pretty strong in Veteran...

The game is still at the point silly poo poo works. I've seen a group of 5 destroyers utterly, well, destroy by warping on top of each other ASAP and concentrating fire any of them got caught up. They were in a constantly warping clump, tough to deal with.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Since a portion of your XP goes to the rest of the ships in your fleet, if you remove the extra ships does the xp go to the main ship or is that bonus xp lost?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

Since a portion of your XP goes to the rest of the ships in your fleet, if you remove the extra ships does the xp go to the main ship or is that bonus xp lost?

It all funnels to the main ship.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
I love putting on the Battlestar Galactica OST for the game - perfect for both corvette trench runs and Destroyer/Dreadnought slugging matches.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Chilichimp posted:

It all funnels to the main ship.

This sounds like a great way of farming / grinding those T4s

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hopefully I can actually find some people to play this with now.

Hexenritter//8156

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

This sounds like a great way of farming / grinding those T4s

You need a stable in vet fleet, imo

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Welp, unlocked two t3 shitships in a row: First the Jupiter Palos tac cruiser which has no healing beams (surprise!), then the Akula Dola Destroyer - which is super slow and has the worst accuracy destroyer guns in the game. I'm bad at picking ships.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I think those are the only two T3 ships I don't have. All the T3 ships feel like a disappointment when you go from stomping on T1 ships to getting poo poo on by T4s.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SavageGentleman posted:

Welp, unlocked two t3 shitships in a row: First the Jupiter Palos tac cruiser which has no healing beams (surprise!), then the Akula Dola Destroyer - which is super slow and has the worst accuracy destroyer guns in the game. I'm bad at picking ships.

The Palos is an excellent counter pick to enemy corvettes. Healing pods and healing autobeams are amazing and last a long time. This allows you to focus on close range point defense.

The Dola is super slow, but it sports ballistic cannons, not repeaters. They are less accurate, but they fire much faster and their damage drop off is less significant per projectile at maximum range. The ballistic cannons have 3 range bands, 0-1200, 1200-2400, 2400-7000. At close range those Dola Cannons are among the highest DPS in the game outside of a corvette, so maybe try to rock jump with the Dola instead of module reboot.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/08/giveaway-7500-fleet-recruitment-packs-for-dreadnought-on-ps4-and-pc/

Have some free things, Dreadnought players.

Pad your fleet out with as many hero ships and giveaways as you can because the trickle of new things slows right the gently caress down at T3.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Dola leads to the best tac cruiser in the game

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've managed to grind my way to two Tier 3 corvettes, the Machias and the Fulgora. Veteran tier doesn't really seem all that corvette-friendly though. Less solo idiots to pick off and games seem to turn into stupid deathballs of dreadnoughts, destroyers, and tactical cruisers. Especially deathmatch. Makes it hard to dive in to pick off a tactical or artillery cruiser. I also just feel more fragile for some reason though that could be the T3 vs. T4 issue.

Am I better off staying in Recruit until I unlock something else? My next goal was the T3 heavy corvette just to get them all going, but maybe I'll hold off on that.

Thanks for sharing this. I went ahead and grabbed a code.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Safety Factor posted:

I've managed to grind my way to two Tier 3 corvettes, the Machias and the Fulgora. Veteran tier doesn't really seem all that corvette-friendly though. Less solo idiots to pick off and games seem to turn into stupid deathballs of dreadnoughts, destroyers, and tactical cruisers. Especially deathmatch. Makes it hard to dive in to pick off a tactical or artillery cruiser. I also just feel more fragile for some reason though that could be the T3 vs. T4 issue.

Am I better off staying in Recruit until I unlock something else? My next goal was the T3 heavy corvette just to get them all going, but maybe I'll hold off on that.

Spend some more time with your vettes. It was a big shock going from Rookie to Veteran with those for me as well but I realize now that's only because pilots in Rookie fly very poorly as a result of not being exposed to the module variety of Veteran. I rock my Machias every Veteran match (it is going to take upwards of 50 matches using it to unlock the T4 variant :cry: ) and it is definitely a learning experience with every round.

Some easy pointers: -Never stop moving forwards. You will live and die on energy management. Use it in engines as often as possible; don't fret if you haven't left yourself enough energy to dump it into a full guns pass, you weren't going to destroy that ship in one pass and getting in and out on your terms is much more important to your success. Don't ever bother with shields, a vette can outrun everything including missiles. Thrust amplifier and afterburner paired together are my favourite modules. Warp and heal are nice to have but warp gets you sniped and heal doesn't get you out of a fight.

-Pay attention to names and learn to associate those names with what they're flying. There's going to be someone in your round with stasis beam or stasis pulse - figure out who they are and stay the gently caress away from them. TAC CRUISERS ARE NOT EASY TARGETS. One of my favourite ships is an offensively outfitted Orcus and it swats vettes out of the sky and none of these guys ever learn to stay away from me. If you've got one of these in your match, again, learn who they are so you can avoid them. You will consistently top scoreboards if you can keep yourself alive.

Finally, have patience. Someone always (Always.) ventures a bit too far from a deathball.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 8, 2017

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Got one. Played the tutorial. Looks good.

IRSmurf//4293

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

IRSmurf posted:

Got one. Played the tutorial. Looks good.

IRSmurf//4293

We play some games in the evenings. Join the Discord and hop on around 8pm EST and there's generally be someone around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Warp on heavy ships is the best thing. I've got a dread and destroyer fitted with close range weapons and warp and there is nothing more satisfying than jumping out and hammering someone before they can do a thing.

Last night I had a particularly successful run at this where the enemy team had a 3 healer ball with most of their team in it. I saw an opportunity, jumped in, and got two of three before dying - enough so my artillery cruiser teammates could crack the rest of the ball and we won. Or just classic good times like warping through a structure to catch a damaged enemy on the other side and finish them off. Best module.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I prefer to run with armor amp on dreads, but hey, everybody is different.

Also, that free TIV dread might be right up your ally. It has warp, scatter gun broadsides and flak cannons.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Feel free to add me too, IGN Zernach//1472

Also corvette feels like cheating in T2 so far, people can't aim at you and/or they don't react to you. I can just dakka dakka ships one after the other without geting shot at by the rest of the team.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah warp on destroyers and dreadnoughts is grand. Pair it up with power to weapons immediately and you can slag several ships in seconds. Even moreso if you have some juicy damage-dealing modules you can pop when you appear. Drain torpedoes are also a boon for these sorts of shenanigans because you can rob them of their ability to GTFO by diverting power to engines, leaving them stuck trying to flee you under conventional power. Armour amplification is really really good too, and without warp, power-to-engines can get you into broadside range sharpish.

I cannot stress enough after the last couple of days of play that proper energy management makes a loving world of difference. The boost to manouevrability and speed is huge (and can be life-saving), and a power-to-weapons boosted dreadnought's fire rate and damage output is nuts.

Zernach posted:

Also corvette feels like cheating in T2 so far, people can't aim at you and/or they don't react to you. I can just dakka dakka ships one after the other without geting shot at by the rest of the team.

Hahaha I know, right? The Dover is savage. Again, proper power management vastly improves your effectiveness, and I definitely agree with whoever said they preferred Thrust Amplifier and Afterburner over Blink Warp and Autorepair. My best matches have been in the Dover. I like the drain torpedo on it for their aforementioned "no you're not hiding behind your shield or boosting away" quality. Come in from a high angle above or below, pop Power To Weapons, pretend you're an A-10 Thunderbolt and go BRRRRRRRRRRRT. Slam your drain torpedo into them halfway through the volley if it looks like they'll survive it, pop Disruptor Pulse to kill their module abilities and then peel away above or below them, bobbing and weaving to avoid return fire. Use your ThrustAmp or Afterburner if you need to, especially if you're doing this on a ship with a friend or two, and duck back out of range if you take enough damage. Time your evasive manouevres so your guns come to bear again as they finish reloading and go again. Doing this you can duck in and out of four or five ships, including those annoying clusters of artillery cruisers with a healer or destroyer. You can really gently caress up a dreadnought doing this too.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 9, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cotton Space Marine Av? gently caress yeah.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Cotton Space Marine Av? gently caress yeah.

I'm so glad I changed my avatar to this a while back. I got the idea after a bit of Space Crusade nostalgia had me look up the box art (and discovered there are several different versions of the picture) and I knew what I had to do. I love people's reactions to it, it's been very well received.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

I'm so glad I changed my avatar to this a while back. I got the idea after a bit of Space Crusade nostalgia had me look up the box art (and discovered there are several different versions of the picture) and I knew what I had to do. I love people's reactions to it, it's been very well received.

Cotton would be the surliest loving dreadnought.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Cotton would be the surliest loving dreadnought.

They even have the stumpy legs!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chilichimp posted:

Also, that free TIV dread might be right up your ally. It has warp, scatter gun broadsides and flak cannons.

I do like that free dreadnought although the scatterguns aren't anywhere near as satisfying as plasma broadside. They're probably just as effective overall, though

things like this are just extremely my thing: https://gfycat.com/feistypepperycormorant

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Psion posted:

I do like that free dreadnought although the scatterguns aren't anywhere near as satisfying as plasma broadside. They're probably just as effective overall, though

things like this are just extremely my thing: https://gfycat.com/feistypepperycormorant

They are likely much better on a more maneuverable ship

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Gave the Tesla Cannon arty cruisers a try and got a new flavor of seal clubbing at t2. As long as I kept an eye out if they had 'vettes around it was just a massive point and click adventure. The times there were enemy corvettes, most of them were bad. Happily flying in the open leting me take potshots at them. Some of them even continued to fly in the open after geting hit letting me get the finishing blow too. Some tried to use cover, but they forgot the first lesson of how not to be seen. Do not stand up aka don't show yourself at all if possible.

Think I had a single match yesterday that had a competent corvette, but that match I just stuck closer to the blob and lit him up with target notices whenever I saw him. Pubbies actually payed attention to that, it was shocking. Still left me as an expanding cloud of debris some of the time but more often that not it ended up as a trade if I got a hit in.

I dare say I enjoyed it as much as the zoom and boom of corvettes, it was noticeable how being agressive with arty helps break stalemates. Harrasing the tac cruiser until it is forced to move to other cover from the main blob often lead to 1 of the big ships getting left behind as the others follow the healer. Or just giving no fucks and dueling bad destroyers at 5km as they try to close the distance while you reverse with full engine.

Also love the graphics/mechanics of the tesla cannon in how it halfway meets real physics with your shot being a conducting path for the lightning bolt that follows when you hit. It honestly is a pretty clever way of making a lightning gun that isn't a hitscan and have cool looking recoil too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zernach posted:

Gave the Tesla Cannon arty cruisers a try

corvettes

Fun fact: A tugarin's primary fire with power to weapons kills a dover in one shot, shields and all

My favorite thing about t2 by far

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
One shotting a corvette that's dumb enough to fly right at your front arc is one of the finest things in life.

"Hahahaaaaaaaa, Gotcha, Dumbdumb!"

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I've been flying a destroyer to learn how to pilot my corvette even better and I'm realizing that with warp and good energy management for speed, it's just a bigger more armoured corvette with flak guns that melt other destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Higher tier warps do make destroyers pretty hilariously fun.

• Locked thread