Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Regarding the new paintjob available: 1600gb are like 15 or 20 bucks? That's... just too much for looking like a Confederate apologist. Also lol at the fluff: "Let's celebrate these guys deserting in the middle of the final battle of the war!"

I also noticed you get more points for individual actions like healing or killing Assault Ships in Onslaught.

Oh boy I found out that the T4 healing ship will cost me 100k credits. Anybody know the cost of T5s?

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Forget about t5, 100k is a fraction of what you need to earn for modules at t4.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Got my first 5 kill streak today. Ba-bow.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
When you want to get XP on something that isn't your tac cruiser, but you keep winding up in team deathmatch with idiots. It's fun to see yourself on top of the scoreboard by 500 points with zero kills and two assists, at least.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So I've been running the Dola as my T3 Destroyer after being disappointed by the Otranto. Idk wtf was wrong with me,... I guess I got gud on the Dola because I kick so much rear end in the Otranto now.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
"You have left the game room" Errors all over the PC version for me, eats up my battle bonus too ;(

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
I still haven't found a way to make the Dola useful. The guns might nominally have good dps and a long range, but the slow projectile speed and the horrible spread mean that the Dola is not able to dish out any damage in ranges over 1.5km. And even in close range the spread is so bad that you will get the nominal damage only only against targets with a giant profile like dreadnoughts. My last hope is a suicide-ramming layout with Jump Drives, Scrambler Pulse and Plasma Ram, will report the results here.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

So I've been running the Dola as my T3 Destroyer after being disappointed by the Otranto. Idk wtf was wrong with me,... I guess I got gud on the Dola because I kick so much rear end in the Otranto now.

The good thing about the Otranto, is you can use any of the modules you bought for the Trafalgar. The Dola can only use the poo poo it starts with, so you've got a significant time investment just to get back to the ideal set-up for hit-and-runs.

Also, the Dola is slow as poo poo.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Chilichimp posted:

Also, the Dola is slow as poo poo.

I'm not a fan of the speed but you can make it work... however Otranto is superior for gtfi/gtfo. I hate that JA's artillery cruiser is so slow.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

I'm not a fan of the speed but you can make it work... however Otranto is superior for gtfi/gtfo. I hate that JA's artillery cruiser is so slow.

same.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

5thMouseButton posted:

"You have left the game room" Errors all over the PC version for me, eats up my battle bonus too ;(

Same here. At first I thought I had done something wrong and idled out while my window was unfocused, but then I just sat and watched it happen. No predictable way of telling what makes it happen either - though it usually happens only when I have battle bonus :arghfist:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
So the Dola is basically a Dreadnought that uses the Destroyer skill-set and vice-versa for the Gravis. I feel like that doesn't work that well for either of them but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I didn't like the Dola either, but I am still dreading the grind to a Jutland. so I'm just going repeatedly ram my face against this problem by trying the Gravis later

vvvv e: but is that approach done better with a Chernobog instead?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 29, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Gravis works better than the dola in my experience.

Warping in and unleashing a broadside can be devastating.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Gravis works better than the dola in my experience.

Warping in and unleashing a broadside can be devastating.

Yeah, the lack of speed, short range weapons and no ability to warp really kills the Dola while 'slightly lower HP but you still have good shields and the armour booster' isn't a huge step down for the Gravis.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 29, 2017

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, the lack of speed, short range weapons and no ability to warp really kills the Dola while 'slightly lower HP but you still have good shields and the armour booster' isn't a huge step down for the Gravis.

Yeah, can confirm that. "Operation Suicide-Ramming with the Dola" did not really work out because a)its jump range is very short and b)the ship is slow and immobile enough that most hostiles can just descend or ascend a bit to get out of danger - double that when you have activated the ramming thrusters and become even less maneuverable.

I guess I could realiable get at least one guy if I manage to get them from behind - but with the slow Dola i would need about 5 minutes of maneuvering to get behind all enemies.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is there another special step to that free stuff code in the open? I followed the link, made a greybox account, it accepted the code, and nothing shows up with my account. Was it only good for a very limited time?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is there another special step to that free stuff code in the open? I followed the link, made a greybox account, it accepted the code, and nothing shows up with my account. Was it only good for a very limited time?

The link did say there were a limited number.

It doesn't matter, though, the ships were dogshit and the only thing worth having from that pack was the skin and GP. They'll do more giveaways in the future.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, how do I use the Kreshnik? It handles like rear end and has two shots before it has to reload. Help.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This game is fun, but the matchmaking putting multiple tier 1s on my team when the enemy team has multiple tier 4s seems... bad.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
They hosed the game over by making it a tier system.
It's sad to say but they should have structured it MWO style with some rotating 'stock' ships and then grind/buy your own.

Now the community is just divided into multiple tiers and bleed-over fucks whoever's in the lower tier.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Its easy to stay in recruit fleet queues.

Keep 1 T1 ship on your recruit fleet bar and you'll never be matched up against a T3/4 again.

Don't go into vet fleet with anything less than a T3.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Thor-Stryker posted:

They hosed the game over by making it a tier system.
It's sad to say but they should have structured it MWO style with some rotating 'stock' ships and then grind/buy your own.

Now the community is just divided into multiple tiers and bleed-over fucks whoever's in the lower tier.

Controversial opinion:

Newbzone, only accepts T1 ships, if you've bought a T2 ship, that's fine, but you can't queue up with it in your fleet.
Intermediate, takes T1 and T2 ships, you've proven that you can probably not fly the ship into the ground, better rewards.
Veteran, unlocks with first T3 purchace, excludes T1 and T4

And the bars keep moving up with their ranks making sure that you're never facing a ship that's more than one tier stronger or weaker than you, with the end caps segrigated.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Controversial opinion:

Newbzone, only accepts T1 ships, if you've bought a T2 ship, that's fine, but you can't queue up with it in your fleet.
Intermediate, takes T1 and T2 ships, you've proven that you can probably not fly the ship into the ground, better rewards.
Veteran, unlocks with first T3 purchace, excludes T1 and T4

And the bars keep moving up with their ranks making sure that you're never facing a ship that's more than one tier stronger or weaker than you, with the end caps segrigated.

The problem there is that you move out of T1 almost instantly, meaning nobody will be playing in the most noobie matchies. This is bad. The T1-T2 games are fine, the issue is just T2 people being thrown into matches with T4 players for whom they are nothing more than bait on both a power and skill level. The 'keep a T1 on your bar to not get upranked' is dumb as all gently caress so they really just need to remove that and let people who are queuing for novice games only join novice games.

If people want to deliberately bring T2 ships into Vet games then really that's on them, but it should be a deliberate choice.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Its dumb, but it works

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Its dumb, but it works

You still run into the massive problem of segmenting. Which wouldn't be a problem if you have a massive community the size of StarCraft/WoT/CS.

However, if the community is small (it is), then the pool of available players is going to be even smaller because you just split them into four tiers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

You still run into the massive problem of segmenting. Which wouldn't be a problem if you have a massive community the size of StarCraft/WoT/CS.

However, if the community is small (it is), then the pool of available players is going to be even smaller because you just split them into four tiers.

Oh, for sure. I play with a lot of the same people match after match when queuing for legendary fleet.

That being said, I'm not waiting for matches much if at all. 1-2 minute queues isn't a big deal, as I'm used to that poo poo or worse playing HOTS which has a huge player base. If they restricted the people queuing full T2's in their recruit fleet bar to recruit fleet only, then there might be a problem. Every legendary fleet queue I join ends up with 2-6 T2 ships to just loving annihilate.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Oh, for sure. I play with a lot of the same people match after match when queuing for legendary fleet.

That being said, I'm not waiting for matches much if at all. 1-2 minute queues isn't a big deal, as I'm used to that poo poo or worse playing HOTS which has a huge player base. If they restricted the people queuing full T2's in their recruit fleet bar to recruit fleet only, then there might be a problem. Every legendary fleet queue I join ends up with 2-6 T2 ships to just loving annihilate.

How The poo poo do t2 ships even get into Legendary games? I'm firmly in t3 and I've never so much as seen a t5 ship.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

How The poo poo do t2 ships even get into Legendary games? I'm firmly in t3 and I've never so much as seen a t5 ship.

If you only have T4's in your legendary fleet, your queue gets dumped into Veteran fleet, because there aren't enough people queuing for legendary fleet and T4's can play down into vet queues seamlessly.

If you only have T2's in your recruit fleet, your queue gets dumped into Veteran fleet. I've not received an adequate explanation for this from anyone and it makes little sense to me. T2's have no business flying against T4's.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Sometimes even tier 3 vs Tier 4 is unfair due to some of the stuff that opens up at Tier 4.

I keep running into people, especially Tier 3 Corvette drivers, who have found out for the first time just how fast a Vindicta with Engine Rigger and Thrust Amp is.

I have also been accused of hacking twice over the past few days. One said something about Nice script then just repeated "enjoydatban". I wasn't even top scorer or the main reason they were getting wrecked. I wish I knew what exactly they thought I did.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MisterFuzzles posted:

Sometimes even tier 3 vs Tier 4 is unfair due to some of the stuff that opens up at Tier 4.

I keep running into people, especially Tier 3 Corvette drivers, who have found out for the first time just how fast a Vindicta with Engine Rigger and Thrust Amp is.

I have also been accused of hacking twice over the past few days. One said something about Nice script then just repeated "enjoydatban". I wasn't even top scorer or the main reason they were getting wrecked. I wish I knew what exactly they thought I did.

dat oberon destroyer is something else. I'm working on getting stasis beam, ASAP for just such occasions.

What you're doing is flying faster than a corvette in a destroyer and doing it pretty regularly, since the cooldown is decently low on those abilities.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Chilichimp posted:

dat oberon destroyer is something else. I'm working on getting stasis beam, ASAP for just such occasions.

What you're doing is flying faster than a corvette in a destroyer and doing it pretty regularly, since the cooldown is decently low on those abilities.

One of them was an enemy Vindicta captain so I have no idea.

Vindicta is when I feel like being an rear end to Corvettes and Dreadnoughts who get out of position. (I run a Purge Ram. Thinking I need to name my Vindicta the Salt Shaker).

The Vigo is when I feel like being a total team player, staying with my blob and dishing out obscene amounts of damage. Storm Missiles, Weaponbreaker, Weapon pulse and Module reset. Essentially base loadout but with Storms. I find the weaponbreaker a nice gently caress you, especially when I am dueling an enemy dread who pops armor amp. Sure, I can't hurt you but you ain't hurting me either.

One thing I find annoying in this game is the inconsistency of things like weaponbreakers, stasis etc missiles. Sometimes they hit in good time and sometimes they take a giant scenic route and never connect even when the enemy is 3km away in open space with no obvious counters.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Game was 100% better when it didn't have tiers.

Should have just pulled a MOBA and made premade hero ships, and then had a freeplay mode where you just buy the chassis and modules you want without bullshit trees or grind.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Well I just got mad at the game.
Maybe I can't read somewhere?
In Beta, ship customization/fancy stuff used to be account wide.
Now it looks like its per ship, or at least per hulltype?
I blew leftover gold on making my T2 destroyer fun looking - because Im grinding on it a while - Finally get my 3 ships and... I can't use any of the unlocks.
Fuckkkk

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It's not just per hulltype either, it's also per manufacturer for that extra ounce of gently caress you :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Which makes me glad they did that promotion for the PS4 version that gave a universal cosmetic set

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The beta coating makes the camo on my Gravis look great

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Free -entire fleet usable- shader: obtained for playing in matches this weekend:

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/pc-invaders-weekend-event/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=invaders-weekend

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

This game the same sort of thing as Fractured Space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tindahbawx posted:

This game the same sort of thing as Fractured Space?

Yes.

But worse in every way imaginable except graphics.

• Locked thread