Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Tindahbawx posted:

This game the same sort of thing as Fractured Space?

It's the same as fractured space in that Battlefield and Overwatch are both shooters.

FileNotFound posted:

Yes.

But worse in every way imaginable except graphics.

nah, it's different from fractured space and better in a few ways.

IMO, the only bad part of this game is the grind, and I don't see that going anywhere anytime soon. But alot of the other rough poo poo can be chocked up to beta, and we hope they correct them.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The grind is loving horrendous once you start looking at Tier 3 and beyond. The game itself is a lot more deliberate and slow-paced than Fractured Space (unless you're flying a corvette).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Also Fractured Space has crew to hire.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also Fractured Space has crew to hire.

That is the best anything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Cool, I always wondered what happened to him after Ripley left him behind in the beginning of Aliens.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Both Dreadnought and Fractured Space have pros and cons and I think it's worth trying them both. I think the Dreadnought grind is crushing and will kill this game for me long, long before I stop playing FS, which has a far superior f2p model and ship unlock system among other things. also you can fuckin' strafe, something I wish DN had approximately every match.

the new dev roadmap the Dreadnought people published a couple days ago does acknowledge the grind as atrocious and they'll be taking some steps to smooth it out ... eventually. It's a "high priority" task with no ETA, so, uh, take that for what it's worth. Specifically,

quote:

We will be removing research of “the next ship” in the tech tree as a requirement for having a “fully researched ship” for purposes of generating convertible XP and receiving XP and credit gain bonuses.

that, and if they made it so hero ships weren't completely counterproductive to use in terms of getting unlocks (say, hero ships generate free XP without requiring real money "premium currency" to turn into free XP) that'd be a nice step forward. you could get your ships unlocked with a smooth progression and give a double benefit to throwing down real money on those hero ships.

it's possible they do this already but I have no idea, the UI for the tech trees and unlocks is really bad hah

e: like when I get a really good game of Dreadnought, which I just did, it's loving incredible. There's real potential in this game if they shave down the drat grind, and it looks like they've at least acknowledged the problem.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 15, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Added this google doc to the Tac Cruiser section of the OP:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hxQkabM92UMwkp1tI3ZJZKkW0crsTfvs7PZJLpaVycI/edit#gid=1550533054

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That explains why I was more or less immortal the other day when I had a Koschei camped out just below my ship. I wish playing tac was more fun, because it's absolutely critical to success. But I just can't do it. It's boring. Position yourself below a friendly blob who may or may not stay together, push heal button, try not to get eaten by a corvette, wait 10 minutes for the round to end one way or another.

that's sort of the problem with this game in a nutshell though, it requires a lot more team coordination than it looks to really steamroll any opposition, but if you don't have that coordination against a team that does, that's it. You're done, no matter what you personally do. It's not fun to lose a round many minutes before the game says you did. :v:

and that's not even getting into how much I despise the tier system actively making matches worse. If they can figure out how to fix that ...well, I'd like it. I just don't know how.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

That explains why I was more or less immortal the other day when I had a Koschei camped out just below my ship. I wish playing tac was more fun, because it's absolutely critical to success. But I just can't do it. It's boring. Position yourself below a friendly blob who may or may not stay together, push heal button, try not to get eaten by a corvette, wait 10 minutes for the round to end one way or another.

that's sort of the problem with this game in a nutshell though, it requires a lot more team coordination than it looks to really steamroll any opposition, but if you don't have that coordination against a team that does, that's it. You're done, no matter what you personally do. It's not fun to lose a round many minutes before the game says you did. :v:

and that's not even getting into how much I despise the tier system actively making matches worse. If they can figure out how to fix that ...well, I'd like it. I just don't know how.

There's more to it than that, because man... nobody stays in the blob. Timing your healing auto beams, placing your heal buckets, timing your beam amp, loving ANNIHILATING some shitbird corvette who thinks he can close to PB and cut you down unhindered.

Don't park, never park. Fly, fly fly. Heal while you're doing it. It's more fun to me than anything else but corvette straffing noobs in recruit fleet.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Got some PC patch notes:

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/pc-game-update-191/

Balances updated being of particular note to me:

They're upping the range and damage of both the Chernobog and the Gravis.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Got some PC patch notes:

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/pc-game-update-191/

Balances updated being of particular note to me:

That makes me happy. I need to start playing again but the missus had a bad health turn recently so I've barely had any time for gaming.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This game dead yet?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

This game dead yet?

I hope they fix this poo poo grind before it does die, it's a fun game.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Oh hey, Palos got another 1000 m of range, maybe I'll be able to do more than slowly tickle enemy ships while grinding up the XP for a sub weapon that can actually heal.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

I hope they fix this poo poo grind before it does die, it's a fun game.

Strongly loving seconded. I really like it but gently caress me, the grind

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
That's my problem too, when they made the tier switch I was absolutely confused.

WoT introduced such a lovely F2P model that future developers constantly trap themselves into and now it's a shame the 'hero' model used in mobas and class shooters is discarded.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thor-Stryker posted:

That's my problem too, when they made the tier switch I was absolutely confused.

WoT introduced such a lovely F2P model that future developers constantly trap themselves into and now it's a shame the 'hero' model used in mobas and class shooters is discarded.

Yeah, thinking about it the MOBA/Class shooter style hero model would be fantastic. No more bullshit prerequisites

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Fractured Space uses that model and the grind there is therefore much more tolerable at least.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

E: lol I completely misread the post. Ignore me!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

A lot of tier 3s are seeing buffs like this. Good of them to realize that being dunked on by tier 4s in veteran is boring as gently caress, but this is just polishing a bad tier system rather than using a good not-a-tier system. still, improvements are improvements. Glad to see my Otranto is getting buffed because I love that whole line.

also the Dola is getting buffed and I've heard everyone hates that drat thing :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 12, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, the Dola and Gravis both suffered for being 'offclass' ships. I.e. the Dola is basically a light Dread with the Destroyer skill set which doesn't really help it do the thing it's designed to do.

Honestly I was a bit disappointed that the only difference between ships within a class (weight wise) is the weapon used and the hull stats. There's a real place here for ships all having their own unique skills that play to their stats and I feel it's a missed opportunity that they haven't done that.

Also +1 for the Moba hero grind system. The 'downside' is that the devs will keep having to release new ships as the game goes on but frankly they should be doing that anyway.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, the Dola and Gravis both suffered for being 'offclass' ships. I.e. the Dola is basically a light Dread with the Destroyer skill set which doesn't really help it do the thing it's designed to do.

Honestly I was a bit disappointed that the only difference between ships within a class (weight wise) is the weapon used and the hull stats. There's a real place here for ships all having their own unique skills that play to their stats and I feel it's a missed opportunity that they haven't done that.

Also +1 for the Moba hero grind system. The 'downside' is that the devs will keep having to release new ships as the game goes on but frankly they should be doing that anyway.

eh, this isn't moba hero grind at all. It's more like Battlefield weapon grinding, which is just... eh.

It's why I play recruit fleet a lot even with a TIV ship in my bag. the -game- is fun, grinding at fighting ships that outclass you detracts from that.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

eh, this isn't moba hero grind at all. It's more like Battlefield weapon grinding, which is just... eh.

It's why I play recruit fleet a lot even with a TIV ship in my bag. the -game- is fun, grinding at fighting ships that outclass you detracts from that.

To be clear I'm saying that it SHOULD be a Moba hero grind and that that could solve a lot of the games problems.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

To be clear I'm saying that it SHOULD be a Moba hero grind and that that could solve a lot of the games problems.

oh word, word, word, word, word... word.

That is a much better take.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So this is a thing

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/meridian-wars-begin/

quote:

East vs. West, Red vs. Blue, Occident vs. Orient. This weekend we will settle the question of who would win in a direct competition between the Eastern and the Western hemisphere.

Join us from Wednesday to Monday in the first-ever Meridian Wars in Dreadnought!

How does this work, you ask? With the German Launch as part of 1.9.0 skyrocketing our EU playerbase, we want to know which Dreadnought region can rally the most captains. For that purpose we will analyze your activities from Wednesday 10/18 12:00 UTC to Monday 10/24 12:00 UTC and based on the location you play from determine which hemisphere can produce superior support.

Meridian Wars

Now for the details:
We will separate everyone playing on this weekend into two teams. PlayStation 4 players, this includes you!
Team Blue: players from Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia
Team Red: players from North and South America

Our data shows these regions are more-or-less even in population, so it’s all down to which captains participate. We will take everyone’s activity (games played to completion) and calculate the total for each team. Every match you play adds to your team’s score!

Whoever comes out on top is crowned winner of the first Meridian Wars and gains all the bragging rights that come with a hard-earned victory! Devs from both sides of the Atlantic will be adding their support to the fight, so if you see a DN-tagged player be sure to give ‘em hell ;)
We’ll see you on the battlefield.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Too bad the tier system is unfun and poo poo at the same time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I haven't played enough to see if the T3 changes are enough, myself. I did have a hilarious game with the angriest little child ranting at his entire team the whole time - the standard, practically paint by numbers "blame everyone else, only I am good, only I am smart" routine - and I did find there's apparently no mute nor report functionality in this game.

a multiplayer game where you can't shut up your teammates. That's remarkably short-sighted.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:siren::siren::siren:

Squad Size is being increased to four

:siren::siren::siren:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A surprisingly good decision

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
They also appear to be doing a thing where you can requeue from end of match screen, potentially allowing players to continue playing together? idk, though.

Patch is supposed to hit tomorrow.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Wow, that's actually really good

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Well, looks like they're finally loving doing it. They're gonna nerf healing

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/pc-update-110-balancing-spotlight-all-balancing-changes/

quote:

Tactical Cruiser - Repair Autobeams

All Tiers

Time between heal applications has been increased by 50%
Developer Comment:

We significantly slowed down the effectiveness of the Repair Autobeam by increasing the time between each “tick” by 50%. But we also decreased the “amount of healing” with each tick because we felt that this feature was really broken. The way it is now, healers could heal multiple teammates at once and a bunch of healers working well together would make a fleet invincible. The Autobeams were the biggest cause of this problem. We looked at the data and found out, that the Light Tactical Cruiser has had a really good heal rate - which is weird because it does not have a healing weapon. But what it has are Repair Autobeams that would heal very much. These beams made that thing a super good healing ship. We then took a deeper look at it and decided that the way it was now it was just too strong.

Nerfing the Autobeams will also help with the turtle behavior that we have seen a lot recently (a blob of Dreadnoughts and Tactical Cruisers which is almost impossible to destroy). Now that we nerfed the Starling Missile Salvo (later more on that) this blob would be even harder to come by so we needed a way to deal with that.

After the release of this update we will find out what effect it has on how Tactical Cruisers are used and if people may pick different modules for that ship class. We have other cool stuff for that slot (e.g. the blast pulse to deal with Corvettes) and hope that our players will now try out some new combos.

If the current changes result in Tactical Cruisers not being played any more then we will look into them again.

Also looks like they're buffing missile/torpedo projectile speed which is just... loving NEEDED.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 27, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Missiles and torpedoes being faster seems like it would help dreadnoughts and slow destroyers a lot! I like the idea of a missile meta more than a singular focus on poptarting. Them again, that might also be my preference for the Bomb Catapult speaking.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Which missile system is the Starling again?

also I'll be interested to see how much they speed up missile salvoes. I like the idea of Vultures taking a while but hitting like a loving hammer when they arrive, considering they're the dreadnought's long range option (and I mean, you're a huge dreadnought firing giant space missiles, it fits) but I wouldn't mind them being a little quicker to transit. Something like a boost to speed in the middle of the missile's run but they impact at about the same velocity now. otherwise PDS lasers would just give up and cry, probably.

if they buff the speed of destroyer torpedoes, though, yes. Yesssss. :getin:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ooh that and the tac cruiser nerf make this sound verrrry interesting again. Maybe I'll be into it long enough to get to unlock one new t4 component.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Seriously this, the vertical grind structure is atrocious and I have not come back because of it.

gently caress World of Tanks for making vertical-grinds popular.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Chilichimp posted:

Well, looks like they're finally loving doing it. They're gonna nerf healing

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/pc-update-110-balancing-spotlight-all-balancing-changes/

Also looks like they're buffing missile/torpedo projectile speed which is just... loving NEEDED.

Wait, what's the Palos supposed to do in combat now? Maybe the upgrades have more options, but as T3 ship my options are: repair autobeams that are up 75% of the time, two flavors of minefield that both teams will do everything possible to avoid, wait for corvettes to come in range of the main laser, and ineffective missile strikes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

I mean this is the biggest single problem they're facing and I really disapprove of how they "acknowledged" it without actually doing a thing to fix it for months, yes

Ardeem posted:

Wait, what's the Palos supposed to do in combat now? Maybe the upgrades have more options, but as T3 ship my options are: repair autobeams that are up 75% of the time, two flavors of minefield that both teams will do everything possible to avoid, wait for corvettes to come in range of the main laser, and ineffective missile strikes.

corvette hunting seems to be the idea? that or it's supposed to be taken out of your fleet and replaced with a destroyer

also in the full patch notes they're fixing using the bomb catapult as a direct-fire weapon which is probably good. I saw that done (had that done to me) a few times and thought it was so cheesy. Couldn't blame someone for trying it though, because it was also effective.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well I think part of the plan is to make the missile strikes more effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The next patch is going to address grinds from what i see in these patch notes. They are trying to fix modules to make them attractive enough to buy in the “new unlock system”

I’ll fire it up if that poo poo looks good.

• Locked thread