Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Chilichimp posted:

Higher tier warps do make destroyers pretty hilariously fun.

I love it when I can get my destroyer in flak range and hostiles start melting away.

Dola update: Unlocked the Jump Drive. Now I have at least a small chance of arriving at a battle site before I'm melted down to scraps. The guns still feel super limp and inaccurate though :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Can anyone give :words: on the other corvettes? During the earlier beta the medium corvettes had larger firing arcs, but whats the deal with the heavy corvettes? What kind of maingun do they have?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Started playing this a couple days ago on PS4 and am absolutely in love with this game. I play mostly corvettes and wanted to offer up a couple thoughts based on my experiences.

Personally on the Dover I use blink over enhanced thrust because I find blink offers a far greater amount of mobility/map presence on the whole. Unless I am flying a corvette against idiots my personal philosophy is "never be visible unless you are about to shoot at someone", so I stay low and either use blink to speed my along or to cross small gaps where I might be briefly visible to other team (this is great for hiding in asteroids). Blink also offers a way to preposition for another pass at the enemy while my energy is recharging, enabling some pretty constant aggression. (Come out of cover, dump energy to weapons, fire, blink away, afterburner to safety, blink 3x around to approach from a different direction, attack as soon as energy refills, rinse/repeat).

I have also worked out a personal "ideal" sequence of events for attacking a Tac Cruiser that is hiding in ball. (All of this is assuming I have made a good hidden approach and have waited for the enemy to become distracted before I begin my run). I make my attack run by first closing to a good distance to launch my drain torpedo. Once I trigger the Torpedo launch I wait approx 2.5-3.5 seconds. (Missile launch alerts do not typically cause pilots to panic.) Then I hit my disrupter pulse, then shunt energy to weapons and let her rip. Ideally I want the disrupter pulse and the Drain Torpedo to both hit shortly before/around the same time that the first rounds from my primary weapon start slamming into the enemy. To escape I use blink and then afterburners in that order to take advantage of the short cooldown of blink. If 1 blink+ 1 afterburners is not enough to secure my egress, then the 2nd blink usually suffices.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How does grouping up with friends work in this?

If you don't have a full team will it match you can other partial groups and fill it in with randos?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Prester Jane posted:

"ideal" sequence of events for attacking a Tac Cruiser that is hiding in ball.

Step 1: Fly somewhere else.

If anyone in that ball has a stasis module, slow module, or eyes, you're hosed. It's not worth coming up with anything. Spend your time hunting dummies and distracted players.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 10, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It is also worth mentioning that preying on gamers' inherently short attention span and ease-of-distraction due to years of playing video games is a powerful tool for a corvette flyer. People seem to have very little self-control and can be kited away from blobs very easily if you let yourself be seen.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
blobs are a pain and the biggest remedies i've seen used usually involves nukes, T4 ballistic launches, or bomb catapults

i've tried my best to hit-and-run tac cruisers while in a corvette and it usually doesn't work. they shield up, get healed by their fellow tac cruiser, and then you die when people notice you. the best thing that was worked for me to be honest is attrition and flanking in a larger ship. tac cruisers *generally* stop healing and run once they are really under attack, which gives everybody else a chance to murder a ship or two.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
treat your dreadnought like a corvette, jump into the blob and wreck their tac cruisers

you're 100% dead but hey :shrug:

logikv9 posted:

blobs are a pain and the biggest remedies i've seen used usually involves nukes, T4 ballistic launches, or bomb catapults

I have not been impressed by my t2 nuke dreadnought. Do they get better at higher tiers because the damage just doesn't seem to be enough on its own and coordinating nuke shots is difficult. and i've been even less impressed with bomb catapult, I can never hit with it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I can't seem to make the nuke fun. Its delivery is what works against its effectiveness, I'm finding.

Not like the goliath torpedo, that thing will never stop being effective and awesome. Pair it with warp, flak guns, dump your energy into weapons and break up death balls by inducing panic singlehandedly.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Psion posted:

I have not been impressed by my t2 nuke dreadnought. Do they get better at higher tiers because the damage just doesn't seem to be enough on its own and coordinating nuke shots is difficult. and i've been even less impressed with bomb catapult, I can never hit with it.

nukes and bomb catapults work really against somebody who doesn't move, like blobs

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Captain Beans posted:

How does grouping up with friends work in this?

If you don't have a full team will it match you can other partial groups and fill it in with randos?

Biggest party you can form currently is 3 players and nothing about this game scream "matchmaking algorithms" to me.

The community is honestly small enough you'll see a lot of the same players.

We concurrently queued 2 2-man groups the other night and ended up in the same game (not always same team) every time.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
To counter the blobbing, I'm curious how hard it would be to do coordinated nuke launches with the rest of the people in our VOIP squads. I'd be game for throwing it onto a ship in the fleet in case we wanted to do simultaneous launches with either that or catapults. It seems like the other night there just two nukers on the enemy team and they launched close enough together that it would gently caress up our ball every time they did it. Can you imagine if 3 of us did it?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I just started playing on PS4, PSN is SAKingShibby

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Just went through the last few paged and updated the goon list on the 2nd post. If you're still not in either PSN or PC lists, post here and I'll update it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Psion posted:

treat your dreadnought like a corvette, jump into the blob and wreck their tac cruisers

Comedy option for messing with tac cruisers in blobs (+ anything near them): Destroyer with a warp and plasma ram.

Or so I assume, haven't actually gotten to T3 yet so I'm just looking at stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How is this on PS4 vs PC?

Downloaded while I was at work on my PS4 so was curious if I should except some odd controls

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I messed around on both and prefer PC.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

verbal enema posted:

How is this on PS4 vs PC?

Downloaded while I was at work on my PS4 so was curious if I should except some odd controls

It plays fine, biggest difference(besides PS4 not having everything that PC has) is that it's 5v5 instead of 8v8

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

drrockso20 posted:

It plays fine, biggest difference(besides PS4 not having everything that PC has) is that it's 5v5 instead of 8v8

Aww ah well I'll give it a go I'm sure I'll drop 15-20 hours like Warthunder or WoT on Ps4

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
How similar is this game to Hawken in terms of variety? I sort of forgot about that game while playing MWO and I think I might enjoy a shift back to a less crunchy team shooter.

edit: note that i stopped playing Hawken shortly before its release

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 11, 2017

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010
I'm playing PS4 under retrosixtyseven, definitely up for blobbing up

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Add me to the list Zigmidge//0791

Also maybe add the link to the giveaway. They still have keys for it and my post is buried.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I bought a skin for 200gp thinking that it'd unlock for all ships. Nope, just the one.

Who would bother spending that much money on a skin for one ship?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Add me to the list Zigmidge//0791

Also maybe add the link to the giveaway. They still have keys for it and my post is buried.

done

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hezzy posted:

I bought a skin for 200gp thinking that it'd unlock for all ships. Nope, just the one.

Who would bother spending that much money on a skin for one ship?

You, apparently :jerkbag:

Only kiddin'

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Chilichimp posted:

You, apparently :jerkbag:

Only kiddin'

I only wanted my fleet to look pretty

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Cosmetics work opposite of modules, which is to say, low tier modules work on higher tier ships, higher tier cosmetics work on lower tier ships.

Never spend your money on anything but elite status. Even ship xp converting is a trap.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bought a paint job for my Dover and it was unlocked on the Machias when I got it. Maybe they're bought for ship lines?

I have no idea.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Edit: Whoops almost the exact same question was answered above.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A moderator in the Dreadnought discord explained it to me as cosmetics work for a single ship type by a single manufacturer. Your Akula corvette cosmetics will work on all Akula corvettes but won't work on Oberon corvettes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hexenritter posted:

A moderator in the Dreadnought discord explained it to me as cosmetics work for a single ship type by a single manufacturer. Your Akula corvette cosmetics will work on all Akula corvettes but won't work on Oberon corvettes.

That's actually not too bad, still a bit of a money sink, but as someone who used to play TF2 it's semi-reasonable

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I've been mostly playing TAC Cruiser and I'm wondering what's better against Vettes. Tractor Beam or Tesla Coil Pods. Anyone used either?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Inimicul posted:

I've been mostly playing TAC Cruiser and I'm wondering what's better against Vettes. Tractor Beam or Tesla Coil Pods. Anyone used either?

The few times I tried using a Tesla pod they were already out of range again before it popped so I went back to flechette half-batteries on my Orcus.

drrockso20 posted:

That's actually not too bad, still a bit of a money sink, but as someone who used to play TF2 it's semi-reasonable

Yeah it's not too bad. Now that I just wasted 200g on the woodland camo pattern for Oberon dreadnoughts, coupling it with the beta reward coating my Gravis looks so pretty (but not as pretty as my mechs in MWO, all garish purples, greens and yellows and googly eyes with big ol' lips)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Inimicul posted:

That slot can be anything you want because you shouldn't be relying on it for taking down corvettes.

Mumur
May 13, 2011

Pooh Bear
Add me to the list also, Mumur19//7058

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm playing this silly game Skidmore Ownings//8431

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Inimicul posted:

Blast Pulse wrecks the poo poo out of JA corvettes. Oberon vettes don't kill fast enough or fly fast enough to kill tac cruisers easily, so just shoot them with your regular laser. And most people don't play AV corvettes, and if they do want to kill you, they probably will fly a suicide mission to do it and you can only rely on your teammates to take them down. So with Blast Pulse you're covered.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 12, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I played this a LONG while ago on the PC. I'll jump into discord and play with some goons later tonight after my kid goes to bed.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Got the Akula corvette and god drat I hate it after playing it. It has the worst combination of high speed but bad turning resulting in so many collisons with terrain. The second is the guns, they are giant shotguns so first I was excited but then I got into the match and was immediately dissapointed. They loving arc and and shoot slow to boot. All that just leaves you as a really lovely rear end destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Corvettes are best countered by Stasis beam, which I don't believe you get until T4.

• Locked thread