Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
You worthless goons could be a lot richer if you took advantage of nintendo nerds instead of making fun of them.
The smart thing to do is to buy up the nintendo's and sell them at 4x the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Back before it was cool, I sold my c64 on ebay for almost 1200 dollars,

now they go for 250

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
the plastic that mounts the shoulder buttons in my snes controllers broke off ages ago. would have been nice to get some new first party snes pads.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Buccaneer posted:

How's the switch

i never got one of the things but i played my friends for a minute and its ok. theres no games though

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Once you get past the nostalgia, you'll find those old games don't hold up.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i legit know a guy in real life who fully embraced being one of "those" people

he's a trust fund kid or has a rich dad or something so his main job most of his life has been playing in pop punk bands and doing graphic design part time or something

he has a huge collection of star wars, ninja turtles, he-man, marvel cinematic universe, power rangers, and other 90s retro garbage paraphernalia at his house and covering his instagram and facebook

he's also like 5'1"

his head is gonna explode seeing this

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Snes9x has been out over a decade and Nintendo is selling you 20+ year old games running on 10+ year old software on 5+ year old hardware.

What's new, OP?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I can't wait to relive the experience of downloading 300 snes roms and playing a bunch of them on an emulator and getting bored after 20 minutes.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I just bluetooth a PS3 controller into my computer, which is also connected to the big TV. It is good

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schweinhund posted:

I can't wait to relive the experience of downloading 300 snes roms and playing a bunch of them on an emulator and getting bored after 20 minutes.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

whoopie loving doo

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
old games suck rear end why would anyone want to play anything before like PS2

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
like really i grew up playing NES and i have no desire to go back and play those shitt games

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I pre-ordered weeks ago. Hopefully it actually gets delivered.

I'm gonna play Metroid yet again.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the only thing this is good for is fleecing nerds out of their money from their IT job.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

You say that, but my kids are into that crap.
Kids without personalities tend to latch onto what their parents liked.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm one of those guys that saw the NES Classic and instead bought Raspberry Pi 3 and put RetroPie on it and it's pretty cool.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Dennis System posted:

I played chrono trigger for the first time well into the noughties. It was awesome.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Outpost22 posted:

i alreaddy modded my wii to have all these old games why would I pay for a limited version>?

Same. Softmodded Wii and jailbroken PS3 both with poo poo loads of ROMs, but prefer the Wii for it. I just need to download that goon RPG rom from a few years ago.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

stop playing games meant for ten year olds well into your thirties. just a thought

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Haier posted:

I'm one of those guys that saw the NES Classic and instead bought Raspberry Pi 3 and put RetroPie on it and it's pretty cool.

You've been keeping up with it? Some cool poo poo has come out recently along with some really nice NES/SNES like cases.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I played chrono trigger for the first time well into the noughties. It was awesome.

Yeah, so awesome it's not on the SNES classic.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

mind the walrus posted:

Kids without personalities tend to latch onto what their parents liked.

Your dad posts here too?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I have been selling net tops with Retroarch and Kodi left and right to friends purely because of the nostalgic hysteria these things have inspired. I truly hope no one ever learns!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

BexGu posted:

You've been keeping up with it? Some cool poo poo has come out recently along with some really nice NES/SNES like cases.
Like many other users, I haven't installed the latest update because it's kind of a hassle once you get it set up, and it already works just fine as it is. I bought 2 fake X-Box controllers of Ebay, and bought the Pi in a clear case with heat sinks and the rest of the kit (HDMI and RCA plugs, power cables, SD card, other stuff), and it's never had any issues. It cost me about $70 total from Ebay.

Any Goons interested in playing retro games should look into it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-P...n1nUA7fMqneufjA

A kit like that, or any other, depending on price, will get you what you need for the same or often less cost than the Nintendo device if you already have SD cards and controllers laying around. Installing Retro Pie takes like 15 minutes or less.

These are all the systems you can play:
https://retropie.org.uk/about/systems/

The Retro Pie subreddit is always available to help anyone with hardware or software questions. It's pretty nice.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nah, most of the actual good games are still good in a timeless way. But, ask people to name the best SNES games and you'll probably get a few dozen titles at most out of the 700+ games released in the US. For every Super Mario World or Chrono Trigger there were a dozen lovely games like Home Improvement, Shaq Fu or Pit Fighter that were basically made to bilk naive children out of hard earned allowance money.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Some are cool and good while others are dumb and bad.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Haier posted:

Like many other users, I haven't installed the latest update because it's kind of a hassle once you get it set up, and it already works just fine as it is. I bought 2 fake X-Box controllers of Ebay, and bought the Pi in a clear case with heat sinks and the rest of the kit (HDMI and RCA plugs, power cables, SD card, other stuff), and it's never had any issues. It cost me about $70 total from Ebay.

A kit like that, or any other, depending on price, will get you what you need for the same or often less cost than the Nintendo device if you already have SD cards and controllers laying around. Installing Retro Pie takes like 15 minutes or less.

The Retro Pie subreddit is always available to help anyone with hardware or software questions. It's pretty nice.

A optional SNES emulator just got updated that plays FX-Chip games a lot better along with MSU-1 enhanced games (basically SNES games with full CD quality audio/cut-scenes/voice acting). So now it possible to to play Legend of Zelda game that was only available In Japan on the BS-X Broadcasting System: http://kotaku.com/fans-translate-rare-japanese-zelda-game-now-everyone-c-1787933007

Easy steps to update/switch are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/6pbnlv/reminder_optional_core_lrsnes9x_now_plays_nearly/

People are also making cases like this:
Raspberry Pi in NES Cart: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247569653/pi3cart-nes-cartridge-case-for-raspberry-pi-3

to help out cause a bunch of people are too stupid to shut off the system through the menu's and instead keep pulling the power cord.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

BexGu posted:

People are also making cases like this:
Raspberry Pi in NES Cart: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247569653/pi3cart-nes-cartridge-case-for-raspberry-pi-3

to help out cause a bunch of people are too stupid to shut off the system through the menu's and instead keep pulling the power cord.

I've got mine mounted inside an old SNES shell, using the original power switch, reset button, and controller ports. It's pretty neat. Got a couple of 8bitdo SNES controllers for players 3 & 4, too.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

TVs Ian posted:

I've got mine mounted inside an old SNES shell, using the original power switch, reset button, and controller ports. It's pretty neat. Got a couple of 8bitdo SNES controllers for players 3 & 4, too.

You have a link for a decent guide for that? I've never done any soldering before so I pushed to do as much crap on software as I could.

For some reason I just love the idea of everything in a NES cart. Dude I linked made a kickstarter that does both a kit/completed piece but is only working on the kickstarter rewards backers, no store yet.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Oh good more poo poo garbage from Nintendo for you niggas to lap up

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I haven't bought a console since the playstation 2 but if this thing lets me play the original mariocart on the internet with my old mariocart buddy from 1996 I'll consider it.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
A bibeo game machine? heh, No thanks. I prefer real life.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i made a hollow ceramic super nintendo and glazed it to almost perfect coloring. still working getting the guts to fit inside.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

:eng101:
also if you are not a ultra nerd you can just buy an android TV box/tablet and do the exact same thing with 5000% less hassle

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schweinhund posted:

All 21 games are on it already so you don't even have to download them

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to play old games just buy the system and the tapes instead of doing all this really cool sounding yospos poo poo you guys are talking about

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

poo poo is more expensive than an xbone or ps4

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

BexGu posted:

You have a link for a decent guide for that? I've never done any soldering before so I pushed to do as much crap on software as I could.

For some reason I just love the idea of everything in a NES cart. Dude I linked made a kickstarter that does both a kit/completed piece but is only working on the kickstarter rewards backers, no store yet.

https://blog.petrockblock.com/controlblock/

There's the board that plugs into the Pi for everything. You could possibly mount it in an NES cartridge if you used a GPIO cable and put it next to the Pi, then squeezed a pair of SNES controller ports, a power switch, and a reset button (if you want) along the edge, but it might still be too thick. Maybe using a smaller console like a SNES Jr or something would work, too. With a cartridge though, you're probably better off with a Pi Zero, mini USB OTG hub, and extensions for MicroUSB & HDMI. It won't be as powerful, but you can get at least up to SNES and maybe GBA on it.

Since I used a full SNES shell, if you dig around on their site, there's a picture of the back of a SNES front panel with the wires soldered on. The only soldering I did was that plus removing the old reset button and soldering it to a little PCB to mount it in place. I've also seen people just chop that corner of the motherboard off and solder the two wires to that, but I didn't want to do anything non-reversible if I could avoid it. You could also use just about any button as long as you line it up with the plastic part of the shell that pushes down when you slide the reset button.

It works for the NES too since the pins are the same (and arcade buttons, and supposedly for Genesis). But the NES just doesn't have enough buttons and I didn't feel like buying/building a SNES to NES adapter.

I did chop out some of the plastic on the inside of the shell to make room (most of the cartridge bay and a little bit near the ports), plus 3D printed a back panel to replace the original with passthroughs for HDMI, micro USB power, and 2 USB ports.

I'm getting a new board to play with soon (one of these), and if I can get Retropie up and running on it I'll swap out the board and re-do the back panel a little to clean things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Haier posted:

• Locked thread