Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Roms are illegal y'know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Did you know that you can make your own nintendo right at home with just stuff you buy online.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Buccaneer posted:

If you want to play old games just buy the system and the tapes instead of doing all this really cool sounding yospos poo poo you guys are talking about

Old systems and carts are of questionable durability at this point. On board batteries die, the nes had really iffy connectors, its actually easier to yospos some poo poo.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roms are illegal y'know
you wouldjnt steal a car

so why would you steal a nintendo????

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Buccaneer posted:

If you want to play old games just buy the system and the tapes instead of doing all this really cool sounding yospos poo poo you guys are talking about

have fun seeing a giant ugly pixelated messy screen on modern HDTVs

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Good soup! posted:

Tell it to the people paying 500 dollars for the SNES Classic Edition which is releasing this September

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Buccaneer posted:

Tell it to the people paying 500 dollars for the SNES Classic Edition which is releasing this September

the picture quality will be CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Good soup! posted:

This lol.

I tried to play Majora's Mask like a year ago using original hardware and it looked like rear end on my TV. I quit playing well before the end of the game in large part because it just looked so bad. I think it actually messes with your eyes.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Buccaneer posted:

durrrrr

duhhhhhh

you realize they upscale all the games to 1080p so it doesn't look like poo poo right

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roms are illegal y'know

thanks for the hot tip, narc

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

bradzilla posted:

durrrrr

duhhhhhh

you realize they upscale all the games to 1080p so it doesn't look like poo poo right

Lol

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

TVs Ian posted:

https://blog.petrockblock.com/controlblock/

There's the board that plugs into the Pi for everything. You could possibly mount it in an NES cartridge if you used a GPIO cable and put it next to the Pi, then squeezed a pair of SNES controller ports, a power switch, and a reset button (if you want) along the edge, but it might still be too thick. Maybe using a smaller console like a SNES Jr or something would work, too. With a cartridge though, you're probably better off with a Pi Zero, mini USB OTG hub, and extensions for MicroUSB & HDMI. It won't be as powerful, but you can get at least up to SNES and maybe GBA on it.

Oh, I know about the Zero. I want to use this guy's kit (or full on buy the total package) after he is able to make more of them: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247569653/pi3cart-nes-cartridge-case-for-raspberry-pi-3
I've just never did any soldering before but did program some GPIO pins so just need to dive in at some point. Really thought it would be harder to reuse the buttons from the SNES shell.

TVs Ian posted:

I'm getting a new board to play with soon (one of these), and if I can get Retropie up and running on it I'll swap out the board and re-do the back panel a little to clean things up.

You gonna be careful about going down that rabbit role. I've pushed the limits of the Pi3 through overclocking/emulator tweaks and starting looking at various extra boards with more power and there are a ton of different options that work in varying degrees. The OCDroid XU4 looks to be the best for pure power with semi-amount of Retropie support but support for the Retroarch system is spotty at best for anything other then the Raspberry Pi.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 26, 2017

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Buccaneer posted:

They're only $500 when you buy them off enterprising young men like me.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HoXOyINdrA

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

Someone would make a killing if they made 40" OLED 4:3 screens that have a resolution of like 320x240. It would render all of those Sony CRT PVMs pointless and no one would need $600 upscalers.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Someone would make a killing if they made 40" OLED 4:3 screens that have a resolution of like 320x240. It would render all of those Sony CRT PVMs pointless and no one would need $600 upscalers.

Luckily for roms users the various emulators comes with a ton of different shaders/overlays to simulate scanlines/CRT curature/sharpness/smoothing whatever, including automatically make a vertical screen for top down shooters.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

lol that would look beyond terrible

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

Yep, isn't SD NTSC 640x480 or something? and even if the LCD matched the resolution of lovely old tv's it'll still not smudge and bleed all over the place so all the tricks that devs used to take advantage of the shortcomings of TVs will still not work.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 26, 2017

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siC1gKWOzmA

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I still love all the goony idiots in the thread spergin' on about emulators etc when the smart people ITT are making bank flipping Nintendos to idiots for 4x the price.

"Well actually you can just install blah blah blah on a raspberry pi and solder this and that"
:goonsay:

me: *gives the nerd a noogie before selling a snes for $400*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

theperminator posted:

Yep, isn't SD NTSC 640x480 or something? and even if the LCD matched the resolution of lovely old tv's it'll still not smudge and bleed all over the place so all the tricks that devs used to take advantage of the shortcomings of TVs will still not work.

NTSC is 720x480 and the pixels are taller than wide. Old nintendo systems have a 256x240 framebuffer that gets stretched on scanout (and naturally blurred by a CRT) so a 320x240 TV really isn't what you would want for it. If you want to use those fake CRT filters you want the highest pixel density you can find, so a 4k or better display is ideal.

edit: And I think the SNES supported an interlaced video mode which would just lose half of the resolution on a 320x240 display

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 26, 2017

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I have a sony trinitron somewhere in my basement that still works, but I dont know how the connections will work since I think it only has coax/component.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It's so complicated to hook up a nintendo and play it

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHOm14xtgQE

Buccaneer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 26, 2017

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I think it only has an hdmi out

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJsfwHObvw

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If your tv doesn't have the yellow red and white things to hook up nintendo then just build a computer that simulates nintendo or buy the 500 dollar replica with no cartridge slot

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Buccaneer posted:

If your tv doesn't have the yellow red and white things to hook up nintendo then just build a computer that simulates nintendo or buy the 500 dollar replica with no cartridge slot

Yeah this, if anyone wants to buy a PAL SNES mini classic hit for $500 hit me up

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
What's that? I'm sorry I'm way too busy playing Good Game Bloodbourne.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'd get it if it had every game ever made for snes. As is, what's the point?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I'd buy a N64 emulator box but instead of all the bad games that aren't Conker's Bad Fur Day it's just Conker's Bad Fur Day

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's cool that nintendo finally found out how to emulate FX chip games, it only took them over a decade. also cool that earthbound is being released on the north american and PAL versions but not the japanese version

i might put in a preorder

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roms are illegal y'know

you have to delete them within 24 hours of downloading and then the feds can't do anything about it. it's perfectly legal.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Its going to be really funny if after seeing the logistical nightmare that was the nes mini Nintendo actually gets it right this time and makes a decent amount of them so all the people going "I'm gonna preorder 10 of em and flip em for 500 eatch!" :shepspends: " wind up with piles of worthless tack.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roms are illegal y'know

High tech low life motherfucker

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

Are you sure? SNES games on the 3DS XL look absolutely amazing because the top screen matches the SNES resolution. The games look absolutely flawless with zero filters or scanlines.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hip check please posted:

Its going to be really funny if after seeing the logistical nightmare that was the nes mini Nintendo actually gets it right this time and makes a decent amount of them so all the people going "I'm gonna preorder 10 of em and flip em for 500 eatch!" :shepspends: " wind up with piles of worthless tack.

High tech low life motherfucker

if i was a nintendo shareholder, id be mad as poo poo about these limited runs of crazy high demand products. they are literally leaving money on the table

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

hip check please posted:

Nintendo have always hosed it up hugely and even if they didn't people will be able to sell them for at least little less than what they paid for them.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I wish I could preorder these so I could sell a couple

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

theperminator posted:

Nintendo have always hosed it up hugely and even if they didn't people will be able to sell them for at least little less than what they paid for them.

I know Nintendo making a competent business decision is a long shot but a boy can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

:eng101:
also if you are not a ultra nerd you can just buy an android TV box/tablet and do the exact same thing with 5000% less hassle
LOL, you're one of those.

*Downloads installation files*
*Puts files on an SD card, which goes into the device*
*Plugs device into TV*
*Let's the installation choices go through their thing*
*Game stuff installed*
*Can play games*

"But... but... it's too hard!!!!! Give me something easier!!!!"

• Locked thread