Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Emulation owns. I have been playing through the unreleased prototype of baldur's gate for the PSX. Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Sand Dan posted:

you have to delete them within 24 hours of downloading and then the feds can't do anything about it. it's perfectly legal.

Yup, and according to some law that Bill Clinton signed, if you're in the FBI or some law enforcement you have to immediately close the website, so you're safe!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hip check please posted:

Emulation owns. I have been playing through the unreleased prototype of baldur's gate for the PSX. Good poo poo

Honestly, it does. I can't understand people who drop megabux on a plastic shell for some $25 Raspberry Pi with 15 games when you can go on Amazon, drop $75 on an Android box and another $30 on a decent bluetooth controller,
download an emulator that does all the consoles, get the roms, and you can play everything from the Atari all the way to the PS2 and a ton of different arcade games as well. Also, unlike the console re-releases, you can use it as your all-in-one media box with Netflix/VLC/Youtube/NHL etc.

Then again, nostalgia is pretty strong in some people.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

starfox 2

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Honestly, it does. I can't understand people who drop megabux on a plastic shell for some $25 Raspberry Pi with 15 games when you can go on Amazon, drop $75 on an Android box and another $30 on a decent bluetooth controller,
download an emulator that does all the consoles, get the roms, and you can play everything from the Atari all the way to the PS2 and a ton of different arcade games as well. Also, unlike the console re-releases, you can use it as your all-in-one media box with Netflix/VLC/Youtube/NHL etc.

Then again, nostalgia is pretty strong in some people.

To be fair a licensed retro nintendo product thats well priced could appeal to alot of people but the loving strenght of nostalgia, scalpers and people being retarded....really fucks up the situation.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Are you sure? SNES games on the 3DS XL look absolutely amazing because the top screen matches the SNES resolution. The games look absolutely flawless with zero filters or scanlines.

If you just want 1:1 pixel mapping you can get that with nearest neighbor sampling without using some retarded ultra-low resolution display. Scale an NES or SNES framebuffer up 9x and it will fit perfectly on a 4k display. It's not going to look like it did on a CRT though, because it ended up being displayed as something closer to 292x240 instead of 256x240.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 26, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roms are illegal y'know

:rolleyes:
ok mom

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Pre-oder from Walmart? Well gently caress you: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/26/walmart-cancels-snes-classic-edition-preorders

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roms are illegal y'know

Only if you keep them longer than 48 hours according to USC 1.3(e)(7)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

If you just want 1:1 pixel mapping you can get that with nearest neighbor sampling without using some retarded ultra-low resolution display. Scale an NES or SNES framebuffer up 9x and it will fit perfectly on a 4k display. It's not going to look like it did on a CRT though, because it ended up being displayed as something closer to 292x240 instead of 256x240.

It's more of the fact that it's still going to look like blocky jagged rear end. For example, SNES games on my Vita do not look good because it has a high resolution screen. On my n3ds XL, SNES games look absolutely incredible, because I the n3ds xl is very low resolution

Unless I'm just reading your post wrong

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

hip check please posted:

Same but PC Engine CD games with those mother fuckin soundtracks and not having to spend $500-$600 on a refurbished PC Engine Duo on ebay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORGHpivY_E

a retropie setup is comically easy to get going, cheap, and it can run everything except like dreamcast and psp / ps2 or whatever

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

Same but PC Engine CD games with those mother fuckin soundtracks and not having to spend $500-$600 on a refurbished PC Engine Duo on ebay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORGHpivY_E

a retropie setup is comically easy to get going, cheap, and it can run everything except like dreamcast and psp / ps2 or whatever

I only spent like 250 on my PC Engine Duo rgb modded with a new laser on ebay!

Unless they really did double in price. Then I must flip Dat poo poo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oh huh maybe it's cheaper I just remember it being real fuckin' expensive

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Can retropie do N64 games then? I've heard conflicting things

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

you can run Dreamcast, PSP and PS2 on android boxes if you have a powerful one. dreamcast emulation is great i love playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 on my tablet

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Can retropie do N64 games then? I've heard conflicting things

Works good for some, others can be pretty choppy. You can overclock it, which solves the problem for some games, but not others. Wave Race 64 is nigh unplayable.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rutibex posted:

you can run Dreamcast, PSP and PS2 on android boxes if you have a powerful one. dreamcast emulation is great i love playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 on my tablet

Oh right yeah I have a shield tv that runs dreamcast without breaking a sweat and it owns

The poor little raspberry pi is all lol no *dies of heat*

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Whoa what I remember just looking at them a few years ago and people wanted hundreds of dollars more than that

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

Whoa what I remember just looking at them a few years ago and people wanted hundreds of dollars more than that

Really? I bought mine like three years ago. Weird.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
more like gaystation

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i bought one of these because its neat and i played all the games on it when i was a little kid. it wasn't very expensive. I don't want some ugly little tech pi thing i have to set up.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
read tolstoy you retads

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Orkin Mang posted:

read tolstoy you retads

Talk about nostalgia :jerkbag:

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
$0.00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orkin Mang posted:

read tolstoy you retads

is that like some kind of RPG?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:eyepop:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It's more of the fact that it's still going to look like blocky jagged rear end. For example, SNES games on my Vita do not look good because it has a high resolution screen. On my n3ds XL, SNES games look absolutely incredible, because I the n3ds xl is very low resolution

Unless I'm just reading your post wrong

what difference does it make if you light up one giant pixel or 9 tiny ones which together are the same size as one large one?

and how exactly do you think a 40" 320x240 display would look considering that the pixels would be 2.5mm wide? hint: "jagged rear end"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I disagree. My friend has a 42" EDTV plasma which is literally a 480p-only tv from the early 2000s and Dreamcast and Wii look absolutely incredible on it. Practically high definition. They don't look nearly as good on a 1080p TV at the same size

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The_Franz posted:

NTSC is 720x480 and the pixels are taller than wide.
maybe you should actually look up ntsc before dispensing info instead of going by the encoded resolution of dvds and taking a guess

your whole post is all wrong

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 28, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

gary oldmans diary posted:

maybe you should actually look up ntsc before dispensing info instead of going by the encoded resolution of dvds and taking a guess

Awwww Yeah "mean gbs" is back boys :twisted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
doors open boys!
https://i.imgur.com/72AOSUB.mp4

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I disagree. My friend has a 42" EDTV plasma which is literally a 480p-only tv from the early 2000s and Dreamcast and Wii look absolutely incredible on it. Practically high definition. They don't look nearly as good on a 1080p TV at the same size

Because old TVs usually had undefeatable overscan which means that the picture is probably being blurred a bit by the scaler and even if you do manage to get 1:1 pixel mapping plasmas inherently have a soft fuzziness to the picture due to the dithering process used to reproduce colors. This is the visual equivalent of audiophiles thinking that vinyl sounds "warmer" because it's noisier.

gary oldmans diary posted:

hmm yes, i should have mentioned that it's actually 525 lines only 480 of which are visible with a horizontal frequency of 15.734khz and the pixel clock of nintendo systems being such that each square pixel in the frame buffer is scanned to the screen with a pixel aspect ratio of 8:7 (taking the 256 wide framebuffer + 24 pixels of padding and stretching it to 320). either way dumping the framebuffer of an nes or snes to a giant 320x240 fixed-pixel display would look blocky and wrong because the pixels would be huge and you need to do some non-integer scaling to make it look correct.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 28, 2017

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Got to have the right pixel clock and frame buffer to play Super mario :ccp:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

Because old TVs usually had undefeatable overscan which means that the picture is probably being blurred a bit by the scaler and even if you do manage to get 1:1 pixel mapping plasmas inherently have a soft fuzziness to the picture due to the dithering process used to reproduce colors. This is the visual equivalent of audiophiles thinking that vinyl sounds "warmer" because it's noisier.

lol what the hell are you talking about

change any laptop screen's resolution in windows from anything but the default one and it looks like blurry poo poo.

Do the same thing on a crt and anything you pick will be as sharp as any other option

LCDs are terrible at showing things not at their native resolution. how this compares to audiophiles and vinyl records is beyond me

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It was designed for an entirely different display technology, just look at asteroids on a vector monitor compared to it running on something else

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

It was designed for an entirely different display technology, just look at asteroids on a vector monitor compared to it running on something else

I saw the vector Star Wars game at a barcade last week and I couldn't believe how good a game from the 70s looked. What a cool technology

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The_Franz posted:

hmm yes, i should have mentioned that it's actually 525 lines only 480 of which are visible with a horizontal frequency of 15.734khz and the pixel clock of nintendo systems being such that each square pixel in the frame buffer is scanned to the screen with a pixel aspect ratio of 8:7 (taking the 256 wide framebuffer + 24 pixels of padding and stretching it to 320). either way dumping the framebuffer of an nes or snes to a giant 320x240 fixed-pixel display would look blocky and wrong because the pixels would be huge and you need to do some non-integer scaling to make it look correct.
i find a standard of analog scanlines having a definitive width measured in pixels (exactly 720 of them) compelling

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
if any goons live in any of these cities you are in luck

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/amazon-treasure-truck-selling-nintendo-nes-classic-for-60-today/

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LCDs are terrible at showing things not at their native resolution. how this compares to audiophiles and vinyl records is beyond me

yes, fixed-pixel displays are terrible at displaying non-native images. fixed-pixel displays like your friend's old edtv plasma. it only looks better to you with old sources because of the scaling process and the natural fuzziness of plasma from the dithering process it uses to reproduce colors, both of which soften the image. not because it's natively low resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

yes, fixed-pixel displays are terrible at displaying non-native images. fixed-pixel displays like your friend's old edtv plasma. it only looks better to you with old sources because of the scaling process and the natural fuzziness of plasma from the dithering process it uses to reproduce colors, both of which soften the image. not because it's natively low resolution.

then why do those same game systems not look as good on my higher resolution Pioneer plasma?

You don't think blowing up an image from 480p to 1080p might make it look a bit worse than if it wasn't blown up at all?

It sounds like you agree with me by saying "scaling process"

• Locked thread