Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

they were different but i cant remember the last shockwave thing i used, probably in the early 00s lol

for me it was probably isketch. which somehow still exists and still requires shockwave :pwn: http://www.isketch.net/ (double lol at the flash based splash page)

does anyone remember this piece of poo poo animation? it was passed around a lot as the coolest goddamn thing you'll ever see WHOOOAAAA but wow was it awful. its gotta be one of the flash-animationest flash animations out there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgLJmYN91Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah i remember it lol, looked like a tool album cover

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also these were super hot poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3sexvJM5Go

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

obligatory mention of endoftheworld.swf

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
wtf mate

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
rip flesh

kill maim burn

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm honestly surprised tim didn't announce that they were working closely with adobe to bring flash support to the iphone

maybe he's saving it for the anniversary

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
these were kinda cool

http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
https://www.zombo.com/

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://html5zombo.com/

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

SO DEMANDING posted:

obligatory mention of endoftheworld.swf

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flash poo poo, piss

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
flash literally would have been 1000000% better if they just deleted the source code and let someone competent rewrite it from scratch. silverlight managed to do the same things without murdering your CPU. they had almost 20 years to do that but instead kept polishing that same buggy turd. so gently caress you, adobe, your poo poo is garbage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

silverlight was dogshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Silverlight was great and it is an eternal shame that we have to use javascript instead.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Silverlight was great and it is an eternal shame that we have to use javascript instead.

dog

poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah javascript is total dog poo poo. I cant believe anyone would unironically promote it.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
flash was always lovely but only stebe (pbuh) had the balls to call adobe out on it. we would still be in flash hell without him. god bless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
remember when jobs was saying flash would be replaced with webapps? lol.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

remember when jobs was saying flash would be replaced with webapps? lol.

uh... yeah? and it turned out he was absolutely right.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol no. the very next update he brought in the app store and nobody ever considered web applications ever again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

super secret: many "native apps" are just webviews with custom css

jquery killed flash more than apple did

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im still going to be going through annual corporate training refreshers done in flash until the day i die

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

im still going to be going through annual corporate training refreshers done in flash until the day i die

same, probably.

videos and games are one thing, then there were sites that were entirely based in flash. actually been a while since I've come across one of those, even restaurants have moved away from that crap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the restaurant website thing is so funny because once people had smartphones there was this mad rush to fix them because it turns out if someone can't see your menu they're not going to bother showing up

now if they could just cut it out with the pdf menus

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Zlodo posted:

flahs is and will still be used for the forseeable future to make ui in video games
ui artists know how to use it and work with it and scaleform (the flash runtime implementation from autodesk used in games) is a huge pile of poo poo but hand rolling something equivalent would be tons of work and would still have to use flash movies as input data anyway because of the above

Lol if flash isn't even going to be available for download after 2020, what graphic designer would even consider learning it now

Chances are you'll have a slowly dwindling supply of designers who still know flash, and new designers will just move on to using something else

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

now if they could just cut it out with the pdf menus

but how will customers read our descriptions and see our artisanal dining experience artwork if not in the foofy and florid format that corporate paid a graphic artist entirely too much money for

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

Explain to me how Silverlight is better, I've literally never touched it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it used c# instead of javascript which instantly makes it better by itself but it also used XAML/mvvm which made it way nicer to do UI work on. UWP is the continuation of Silverlight, basically.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im happy there is high quality jenkem in maine for shagger to huff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My Linux Rig posted:

Explain to me how Silverlight is better, I've literally never touched it

it was made by microsoft and was probably easy to develop for if you were used to writing windows code so shaggar decided it was actually good and not just another "microsoft skating to where the puck was a decade ago" exercise

flakeloaf posted:

but how will customers read our descriptions and see our artisanal dining experience artwork if not in the foofy and florid format that corporate paid a graphic artist entirely too much money for

I'd guess that the gm of a restaurant has absolutely no desire to update a loving website on top of the other 2000 things they have to accomplish during their average 18 hour workday so they just get the designer who does their menus to upload a copy when it changes so at least there's no chance the site and physical menu are different

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft collected all the data on web development and then created the best web application development platform possible at the time. of course web "developers" are all retards so they decided on javascript instead.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Reminder: System Center still requires deprecated ol' Silverlight to use the software center.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
people I see who put malware on their computer, like 80% of the time was either them trying to install Flash, or some website telling them 'you need to install flash to watch this' and then just blindly running an installer

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
what's gonna happen to Adobe AIR :ohdear:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

that explains why video game interfaces are so bad

back when id was making rage they rolled their own flash renderer to do the ui (it's in the doom3 bfg repo). iirc during the last few months of rage development they ended up rewriting much of the flash ui in native code because rendering those few flash bits ended up taking something like 1/3 of the frame time budget

Jimmy Carter posted:

people I see who put malware on their computer, like 80% of the time was either them trying to install Flash, or some website telling them 'you need to install flash to watch this' and then just blindly running an installer

there was a point where adobe themselves were bundling some lovely av software with flash that you had to check a box to opt out of during the download

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Jimmy Carter posted:

what's gonna happen to Adobe AIR :ohdear:

doesn't League of Legends ride on that?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Lol if flash isn't even going to be available for download after 2020, what graphic designer would even consider learning it now

Chances are you'll have a slowly dwindling supply of designers who still know flash, and new designers will just move on to using something else

Yeah probably but there's not really anything else filling the "interactive/animated vector graphics authoring program" niche atm

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

flakeloaf posted:

the foofy and florid format that corporate paid a graphic artist entirely too much money for

vivaldi script and word clipart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft collected all the data on web development and then created the best web application development platform possible at the time. of course web "developers" are all retards so they decided on javascript instead.

silverlight was a containerized runtime, nothing web about it except that with a third party addon it happened to run in some web browsers

web = html

• Locked thread