Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

silverlight was a containerized runtime, nothing web about it except that with a third party addon it happened to run in some web browsers

web = html

html is very very bad and Silverlight was an attempt to put something better into the web

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

html is very very bad and Silverlight was an attempt to put something better into the web

if silverlight was so good, then why did it perform and behave like sludgy dogshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it didnt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

silverlight was a half-assed attempt to keep existing windows developers using microsoft technology, they just took what they were doing for the desktop and though "what if plug in"

by the time it came out mobile was taking off and single platform delivery was already a joke, people were moving away from flash because html/css/javacsript mvcs for crappy business apps [microsoft's 'web' bread and butter] were a thing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

doesn't League of Legends ride on that?

Those don't rely on browser plugins so they'll sit on people's systems for years unsupported and collecting CVEs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

silverlight was ActiveX 2.0 (NOW SUPPORTING NON-ADMIN ACCOUNTS) and nobody gave a poo poo because gently caress Microsoft and cross-platform support was garbage

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

but how will customers read our descriptions and see our artisanal dining experience artwork if not in the foofy and florid format that corporate paid a graphic artist entirely too much money for

all of them are just moving to hosting on grubhub or eatstreet or foodnoun now

last time I tried to place a takeout order over phone it redirected me to some call center with a white rear end chick who couldn't pronounce any of the Chinese menu items

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

Hey shagger what's your opinion of ActiveX

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Remember when you were required to install silverlight to use netflix in a browser? It's amazing how many attempts to be murdered off html and browsers have survived, the web is like the Rasputin of technologies.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Remember when you were required to install silverlight to use netflix in a browser? It's amazing how many attempts to be murdered off html and browsers have survived, the web is like the Rasputin of technologies.

Because it's the only thing you could count on working consistently in a browser on any device

Well kind of consistently

I mean it was better than flash and ActiveX 2.0

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qirex posted:

silverlight was a containerized runtime, nothing web about it except that with a third party addon it happened to run in some web browsers

web = html
It wasn't containerized, the plugin was from Microsoft and it ran on pretty much everything except hip-hop operating systems (and even then if you felt the need to subject yourself to the horrors of WINE) and it had pretty much just as many vulberabilities as Flash.

And while Flash sucked, you can't blame Adobe for all of it. It sucked even worse as a Macromedia product.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

p much everything macromedia made or owned, with the notable exception of early versions of freehand, was hot garbage:
  • dreamweaver <p> <p><p> <p><p> <p><p> <p><p> <p><p> <p>
  • flash
  • director
  • coldfusion
  • authorware [this is why your corporate training is still in flash]
  • homesite was ok if you had to write html on windows I guess
  • fireworks [let's combine vectors and pixels in the worst possible way and make the ui in javascript]

lol looking at their wikipedia I just learned stephen elop was their ceo for the 3 months before they got acquired by adobe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Hey shagger what's your opinion of ActiveX

Very useful but poorly implemented.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

vic gundotra's second worst contribution to this gay earth imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
com is so amazingly easy to use but it was too far ahead of its time and now we've gone backwards to manual string parsing over http for all ipc.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I liked tefs idea for a Web COM tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
reminder:
Metalocalypse was animated with Adobe Flash.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

doesn't League of Legends ride on that?

not anymore, loving finally

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I wonder if there are any janky legacy systems that have a Flash frontend, where in twenty years greybeard flash devs will be paid big money to keep poo poo running :o:

man talk about hating your life

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

• coldfusion

back in the day when I worked for a web company we figured out pretty quickly that any interview candidate that worked with coldfusion has had their brain permanently broken and cannot be hired.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
whats so awful about it and how were they broken?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

Everything.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

reminder:
Metalocalypse was animated with Adobe Flash.

so is south park

burning swine
May 26, 2004

coldfusion is the microsoft access of adobe products

it's unredeemable garbage and it ruins the thought process of any developer who becomes proficient with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
access is fine cause if someone sends you an acess db you can just load it into sql server

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

access is fine cause if someone sends you an acess db you can just load it into sql server

use sql lite

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

coldfusion is the microsoft access of adobe products
Did you intend to summon Shaggar or was it an accident?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

use sql lite

its not the same use case. access is more for small biz people (like some of the doctors w/ work with) who use the access app to input stuff into the access db. they can build forms with basic validation and its probably better then them trying to build their own web app or wpf/forms app to do it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
happy to see the player die but actionscript3 is still the best ecmascript

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

so is south park

nah south park is maya

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol at shagger still defending silverlight :razz:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximum Leader posted:

it's a horrible mix of HTML, SQL, and flow control statements all written inline as markup tags. it makes it impossible to engineer anything well because it is resistant to any kind of pattern that's not just an inline query. the people who are mired in it cannot wrap their heads around the idea that there are other ways to do things that are not just literally mapping database queries to HTML.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The Management posted:

it's a horrible mix of HTML, SQL, and flow control statements all written inline as markup tags. it makes it impossible to engineer anything well because it is resistant to any kind of pattern that's not just an inline query. the people who are mired in it cannot wrap their heads around the idea that there are other ways to do things that are not just literally mapping database queries to HTML.
Also myspace.

They did try to shoehorn in CFScript, but you just can't polish a turd.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

aw come on, you could say that about any microsoft product

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

John Big Booty posted:

Also myspace.

They did try to shoehorn in CFScript, but you just can't polish a turd.

even that was pretty bad

but yeah look at this poo poo

code:
<cfset namesArr = arrayNew(1) />
<cfset namesArr[1] = "Xander Crews" />
<cfdump var="#namesArr#" format="text" />
that's how you create an array and set the first value in coldfusion then dump it out to display

imagine that, but with everything, even if/else statements

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mods please close this thread, rip flash is my stage name and i will not be doxxed this way

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFScript posted:

== Differences from JavaScript ==
Although CFScript and JavaScript are similar, they have several key differences. The following list identifies CFScript features that differ from java script:
:allears:

quote:

* CFScript uses ColdFusion expressions, which are not a superset or a subset of JavaScript expressions. In particular, ColdFusion expressions do not support bitwise operators, and the ColdFusion MOD or % operator operates differently from the corresponding JavaScript % operator: In ColdFusion, the operator does integer arithmetic and ignores fractional parts. ColdFusion expressions also support the EQV, IMP, CONTAINS, and DOES NOT CONTAIN operators that are not supported in JavaScript.
:saddowns:

quote:

* CFScript is not case sensitive.
:stonk:

quote:

* Assignments are statements, not expressions, and therefore cannot be used in situations that require evaluating the assignment operation.
:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wow homestarrunner hasn't really changed

• Locked thread