Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

joedevola posted:

It's like a fedora that got struck by lightning wrote a book.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

bluetail posted:

everyone knows that ready player one is 300 pages of bazinga but not many people know that ernest cline used to write "poetry" and it's the cringiest, gooniest poo poo imaginable

Girl, I wanna gently caress you but like in a sensitive feminist way.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
SO, it is going to be a 2 hour ad for second life?

Do people even play second life anymore?

I bet there is catgirls in it though. Always with the catgirls. Probably updated now though with rage memes and whatever the drat kids consider "cool" these days!

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Someone post that page were the book just straight of lists off references.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lime Tonics posted:

SO, it is going to be a 2 hour ad for second life?

Do people even play second life anymore?

I bet there is catgirls in it though. Always with the catgirls. Probably updated now though with rage memes and whatever the drat kids consider "cool" these days!

speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUlWKbe7vSM

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I haven't read this trash pile and never will, but I hear it's also super racist and sexist. The protagonist's best friend is a chubby black lesbian who is pretending to be a white dude and there's several stereotypical Japanese characters who are worried about honor and bow to everyone they see.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you want a laugh (or a cry) read the Goodread reviews.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* posted:

NERDGASM!!!!!!! Video games, movies and music from the 80's! *posts 300 gifs of "nerd culture"

Stephen posted:

WOOT, WOOT and UBER WOOT all you MMORPGers, this book is the perfect calm down, happy face diversion next time you find yourself offline and frustrated because:

** you’re stuck medding back in a safe zone after nearly being ganked by some douchey griefers who jumped your camp site when the mob you were going to farm spawned so they could kill steal it and abscond with your loot;... *posts another 500 words and I genuinely can't tell if he's serious or not.

Alejandro posted:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets The Big Bang Theory meets TRON (raised to the nth power(TRON, I mean)).

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i thought the book was ok, nothing special

armada however was a loving joke

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Bazinga! :awesomelon:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
This is just making the licensing nightmare that is my "Steven spielberg vs Quentin Tarantino" fighting game all the more of an impossible headache, thanks

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
whoa ninja turtles vs star wars vs jason vs 80s!!! *penis stiffly loops backwards between legs and goes inside own anus, then spewing cum and poo poo, person's eyes roll back in their head and begins making guttural noises*

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I heard the DELORIAN races the A-TEAM VAN and KITT and STREETHAWK but CHIPS pulls them over hah ha hah.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AEMINAL posted:

i thought the book was ok, nothing special

armada however was a loving joke

armada loving name drops star citizen of all things as being some big epic release in gaming history

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Milky Moor posted:

armada loving name drops star citizen of all things as being some big epic release in gaming history

well it is kind of epic how much of a fail it is/has been

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where's my Mayor of Second Life feature

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

a movie about how mastery of pop culture is a completely irrelevant skill was already made. it's Master of Disguise by Dana Carvey

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
arstechnica posted the trailer the other day and one of the first comments to get a million upvotes was literally a list of references they spotted in the trailer, and the second was a guy saying 'cant wait to see this with my friends and spot all the references together!'. what the gently caress is wrong with these people.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

List of Things You Remember: The Book: The Motion Picture.

Thank You Omnipotent Hollywood Abomination.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think about killing myself every time that I'm reminded this exists.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

turn off the TV posted:

I think about killing myself every time that I'm reminded this exists.

Bazinga!:gary:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

bluetail posted:

everyone knows that ready player one is 300 pages of bazinga but not many people know that ernest cline used to write "poetry" and it's the cringiest, gooniest poo poo imaginable

there are like 8 more paragraphs of this

you know how some people read Lolita and don't understand the concept of an unreliable narrator?

im hoping thats whats happening here.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The music in the trailer is the theme from Willy Wonka with some synths added

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I haven't watched the trailer but from what I gather from a friend it's a movie about IRON GIANT OH MY GOD, who sets out on a quest to solve the mysterious riddle OH MY GOD A DELOREAN HOW DID THEY EVEN.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I haven't read this trash pile and never will, but I hear it's also super racist and sexist. The protagonist's best friend is a chubby black lesbian who is pretending to be a white dude and there's several stereotypical Japanese characters who are worried about honor and bow to everyone they see.

I got probed in the last Ready Player One thread for pointing this out.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Ernest Cline is the most vapid piece of poo poo to ever put out a book, and I've read a couple of John Ringo novels.... so that says a lot

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
drat it Elf! Stop stealing the food!

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Did they keep the part where the narrator explains at length how advanced the sex simulation robots are so technically he's not a virgin?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Doctor J Off posted:

Did they keep the part where the narrator explains at length how advanced the sex simulation robots are so technically he's not a virgin?
I keep hearing about how the narrator is a loser nerd who gets fat and has a machine poop for him, but after hearing about all the robot rear end he's pulled I guess they were wrong?!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

the 80s were really racist towards asians so this part checks out

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Doctor J Off posted:

Is this really in the book or are you making it up?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

itt goons are mad they didn't write the book and make gigadollars considering it's aids tarded writing, feeble-minded narrative, and subject matter upon which they are experts lol. That fucktard cline sucks! Decries increasingly unhappy aging millennial with 5000 posts in the games forum.

look at how much hate and vitriol this mod has for the forum he moderates, so sad, you should buzz off to another forum or something.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I just found out about Ready Player One and complaining about lack of minority representation or w/e in this seems really dumb because it's the absolute worst thing that's ever been put to paper and having more minorities wouldn't change that:

I'd argue the opposite honestly: having your race not be represented in this trash is a source of pride

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just found out about Ready Player One and complaining about lack of minority representation or w/e in this seems really dumb because it's the absolute worst thing that's ever been put to paper and having more minorities wouldn't change that:

I'd argue the opposite honestly: having your race not be represented in this trash is a source of pride

This is how the author writes what he knows! imagine if he had to drum up some minority representation hobbled together entirely from pop culture

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So, just fan fic then yeah?

Someone was trying to tell me about some fan fic wherein Lily Potter (Harry Potter's mom) was the reincarnation of Darth Vader and that's about where I stopped paying attention.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
cool a 100% CGI diarrhea fest

thus nerds will eat it up

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

khwarezm posted:

Is this really in the book or are you making it up?

Yes its really in there I couldn't believe it either

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
please watch the sequel which is just me reading a list of the names of pop culture stuff from the 90s for 3 hours

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is it like The Last Starfighter

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Motherfucker name-drops BTTF, Knight Rider, and Ghostbusters, but NOT Buckaroo Banzai?

This hack is a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
it's funny how normies think references are jokes

this movie will probably be successful because the normies will be hooting and hollering when they see the delorean on screen. I UNDERSTAND THAT REFERENCE

• Locked thread