Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just found out about Ready Player One and complaining about lack of minority representation or w/e in this seems really dumb because it's the absolute worst thing that's ever been put to paper and having more minorities wouldn't change that:

truly, a contemporary Thomas Pynchon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's funny how normies think references are jokes

this movie will probably be successful because the normies will be hooting and hollering when they see the delorean on screen. I UNDERSTAND THAT REFERENCE

have you seen an SA photoshop thread in the last 10 years

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The book ends with the hero reenacting all of Monty Python's Holy Grail, and the bad guys falling behind because they have to watch the scenes first to reenact them.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just found out about Ready Player One and complaining about lack of minority representation or w/e in this seems really dumb because it's the absolute worst thing that's ever been put to paper and having more minorities wouldn't change that:

I'd argue the opposite honestly: having your race not be represented in this trash is a source of pride

This is the worst thing I've ever read

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a good start on what's wrong with the book

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

its a podcast or something I dont listen to them but someone linked me this and it was p accurate

listen to it while doing chores or something

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is the worst poo poo of all time but I'd probably have loved it at age 13

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

id_love_to_play_an_instrument_or_learn_a_new_language_but_ive_never_really_had_the_time.jpg

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The other Indiana Jones movies, from Crystal Skull onwards

does he live in a universe where there was a sequel to Crystal Skull

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The other Indiana Jones movies, from Crystal Skull onwards

does he live in a universe where there was a sequel to Crystal Skull

'The Hero is Defeated' Timeline

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh forgot to mention, this book is now required reading for incoming freshmen at about a dozen universities in the US

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I was joking earlier, but I am seriously impressed at how terrible those two excerpts are. Not even You-tube "I am pretending to be UPSET! at how TERRIBLE this is!", but confused and repulsed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Madcosby posted:

Oh forgot to mention, this book is now required reading for incoming freshmen at about a dozen universities in the US

this is not true. no way

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/us/college-summer-reading.html

quote:

Several other commonly assigned titles reflect anxiety about the internet and gaming. Those include “The Circle,” a novel by Dave Eggers about a young woman drawn into the nefarious practices of the global tech company for which she works (chosen by Auburn University and Ohio Northern University, among others); “So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed,” the journalist Jon Ronson’s take on social media mobs (Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City, Ramapo College in New Jersey); and “Ready Player One,” a sci-fi novel by Ernest Cline in which a teenager confronts real-world social inequalities embedded within a utopian virtual reality game (Washington State).

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Lmfao. They should rescind federal funding for any schools that assign this garbage

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madcosby posted:

Here's a good start on what's wrong with the book

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

its a podcast or something I dont listen to them but someone linked me this and it was p accurate

listen to it while doing chores or something

I love that they get into a sidebar on how terrible Cory Doctorow's Little Brother is.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They say the book is better than the movie but Steven Spielberg is going to prove them wrong

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Buccaneer posted:

They say the book is better than the movie but Steven Spielberg is going to prove them wrong

This is probably true, from the trailer the movie looks like a wackier version of Tron with a typical Spielberg kid protagonist, while these excerpts from the books look like atrocious fan fiction

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

bluetail posted:

everyone knows that ready player one is 300 pages of bazinga but not many people know that ernest cline used to write "poetry" and it's the cringiest, gooniest poo poo imaginable

there are like 8 more paragraphs of this

Lol what on Earth

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I had no idea Boomerjinks made memoirs.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Entropic posted:

I love that they get into a sidebar on how terrible Cory Doctorow's Little Brother is.

Oh yeah speaking of Cory Doctorow, in Ready Player One he's the president and Wil Wheaton is VP

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull. I’d looted the Vonnegut from a cadre of Oviraptor clansmen who had foolishly attempted to hijack my X-wing while I was cruising through a large group of worlds in Sector Eleven known as the Whedonverse.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I would argue that masturbation is the human animal's most important adaptation. The very cornerstone of our technological civilization. Our hands evolved to grip tools, all right—including our own. You see, thinkers, inventors, and scientists are usually geeks, and geeks have a harder time getting laid than anyone. Without the built-in sexual release valve provided by masturbation, it's doubtful that early humans would have ever mastered the secrets of fire or discovered the wheel. And you can bet that Galileo, Newton, and Einstein never would have made their discoveries if they hadn't first been able to clear their heads by slapping the salami (or "knocking a few protons off the old hydrogen atom"). The same goes for Marie Curie. Before she discovered radium, you can be certain she first discovered the little man in the canoe.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

In that moment, I felt like Luke Skywalker surveying a hangar full of A-, Y-, and X-Wing Fighters just before the Battle of Yavin. Or Captain Apollo, climbing into the cockpit of his Viper on the Galactica’s flight deck. Ender Wiggin arriving at Battle School. Or Alex Rogan, clutching his Star League uniform, staring wide-eyed at a hangar full of Gunstars.

But this wasn’t a fantasy. I wasn’t Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon or Ender Wiggin or anyone else. This was real life. My life. I, Zackary Ulysses Lightman, an eighteen-year-old kid from Beaverton, Oregon, newly recruited by the Earth Defense Alliance, had just been reunited with my long-lost father on the far side of the moon— and now, together, we were about to wage a desperate battle to prevent the destruction of Earth and save the human race from total annihilation.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

“I wish someone had just told me the truth right up front, as soon as I was old enough to understand it. I wish someone had just said: “Here’s the deal, Wade. You’re something called a ‘human being.’ That’s a really smart kind of animal. Like every other animal on this planet, we’re descended from a single-celled organism that lived millions of years ago. This happened by a process called evolution, and you’ll learn more about it But trust me, that’s really how we all got here. There’s proof of it everywhere, buried in the rocks. That story you heard? About how we were all created by a super-powerful dude named God who lives up in the sky? Total bullshit. The whole God thing is actually an ancient fairy tale that people have been telling one another for thousands of years. We made it all up. Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. “Oh, and by the way … there’s no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. Also bullshit. Sorry, kid Deal with it.”

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they show the complete run of pac-mac, otherwise we get ripped off.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Sounds like it has something for everybody.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This better be in the soundtrack though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReCdPcaDn4M

otherwise, trash

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Good god.

How long has higher education been rubbish for babbys?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I can't watch this without also watching this afterwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0wSiQ_Nnc

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Madcosby posted:

You're a loving LIAR, that can't be true!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Crazypoops posted:

You're a loving LIAR, that can't be true!

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

turn off the TV posted:

I think about killing myself every time that I'm reminded this exists.

same but every time i wake up having not died in my sleep

it's not enough that everything in our superficial, triviality-obsessed culture is a reboot or a cinematic universe or a costumed super hero from childrens comics, now we have to have all that stuff chewed up together and spit back into our idiot beaks. this book/film is evidence of how far we have fled from the grace of a loving god

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Maybe it's an indication of mental problems, but I have a hard time parsing "Ready Player One" and immediately think of Realplayer. Like, if it was written as "Ready, Player One," I'd totally get it. However, here I am thinking that it's a media player of some sort until I remember what it actually is.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Universe Master posted:

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I know that! I know that reference!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Milky Moor posted:

Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull. I’d looted the Vonnegut from a cadre of Oviraptor clansmen who had foolishly attempted to hijack my X-wing while I was cruising through a large group of worlds in Sector Eleven known as the Whedonverse.

i believe all these quotes are very real, and am glad vonnegut didn't live to see his unwilling involvement in whatever this book is supposed to be

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My sister (who is a writer) and a friend who is super critical of the arts (who works in film and TV) both really loving like this book, so after seeing this thread I was a bit, "wtf, are those excerpts massively out of context?" Went and read the first couple of chapters in a book store today.

Ummmmmmmmm

It's super goddamn cringe bad. There's a whole three page part (sub part? Like bunch of paragraphs separated with stars, I dunno) about "why did adults lie to me all my childhood? God is a lie and I'm so smart because I worked it out" :smuggo:

I'll probably keep trying because despite all mounting evidence to the contrary I do trust their opinion, and like maybe the narrator is supposed to be a cunte and the story is good, but, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's just the author's voice.

It's really painful how he doesnt make allusions, he just references directly. Like: "I'm in the toilets in B.A's Bar, doing a line of soma. WakaWaka! That stuff is strong!" Is obviously still poo poo, but is leagues better than: "The bar is owned by Hannibal from the A team. We're taking pills like in Pac man".

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 27, 2017

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Steven Spielberg is a hack who has never had an original idea or made a great movie. A real stinker. :greenangel:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
This is like Food Fight except with pop culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

!Klams posted:

Like maybe the narrator is supposed to be a cunte and the story is good, but, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's just the author's voice.

Yeah, exactly. If the book had any self awareness at all it could probably do something interesting with how obsession ove rnostalgia is bad and we need to grow and yadda yadda yadda. But no... Talking about Go-Bots all day is LITERALLY the best thing in the world.

Actually watched the trailer and it was just a nightmare of cgi nothingness. BUT I SAW DUKE NUKEM FIGHTING FREDDY KRUEGER!! FUKKEN EPIC!

• Locked thread