Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
God, I sort of wish I were going back to college and being forced to read this, because I think I'd end up dropping out again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

more proof that america needs to be wiped off the face of the earth, insallah

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

"...A world where the limits of reality are your own imagination"

*Pure Imagination begins playing.

*A whole bunch of other people's 30-year-old mass market IP appears

Lol

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

It's actually a Herculean feat if Cline wrote an entire sellable book without a single original thought. The only way this guy could be any more amazing is if his writing process was entirely done by reading top 10 X articles

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
It reads like somebody stumbled on to a hilarious glitch tinkering with a chatbot. Its barely human. Like adhering so hard to schtick it just generated itself based off rules of how often it has to reference something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

It's actually a Herculean feat if Cline wrote an entire sellable book without a single original thought. The only way this guy could be any more amazing is if his writing process was entirely done by reading top 10 X articles

you should do this and see what happens

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cheetos: The Person

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Have you met anyone born between the late 70s and early 90s? It's a wonder someone didn't do it before this guy.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

General Dog posted:

Cheetos: The Person

hehe

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Anyone listen to "I don't even own a television" the Goon podcast about terrible books. They summed it up well.
"Ready Player One is a horrible book for boring people."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Drunken Baker posted:

Anyone listen to "I don't even own a television" the Goon podcast about terrible books. They summed it up well.
"Ready Player One is a horrible book for boring people."

Their episode about the Dilbert Guy's philosophy book was even better.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I rarely have time to listen to podcasts these days, but that sounds incredible. I'll have to make some time tonight.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The excerpts read like if Holden Caulfield (spelling?) grew up in an 80s suburb. I see it being taught in high schools soon.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Spielberg.

If you remove the four letters after S and P, you get sperg.

The letters removed can thusly be rearranged to spell the word bile.

Bile sperg.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is the main character going to have a cold and distant dad? Because goddamn if Spielberg doesn't have some drat daddy issues

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's like they took that one joke forums post where every fictional character from every medium comes in for a surprise birthday party and made a book out of it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So, this is the Forrest Gump of geek media?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, this is the Forrest Gump of geek media?

No, it's fully retarded.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

schmuckfeatures posted:

Spielberg.

If you remove the four letters after S and P, you get sperg.

The letters removed can thusly be rearranged to spell the word bile.

Bile sperg.

I'm not going to be able to see the word Spielberg without thinking of the word Sperg now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Buccaneer posted:

I'm not going to be able to see the word Spielberg without thinking of the word Sperg now

you have become enlightened

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Pounded in the Butt by 80's Childhood Media Nostalgia by Chuck Tingle

"When this thing hits 88 miles per hour, it's gonna pack some serious poo poo."

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Buccaneer posted:

He will henceforth be known as spergbile

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The "beautiful" love interest is 5 ft 7 and 168lbs lol.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

This post is a total waste of space if you're not going to offer a picture or a name.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

General Dog posted:

This post is a total waste of space if you're not going to offer a picture or a name.

It's in the book? I have no doubt they cast an actress who doesn't sit around all day on the computer for the movie.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

What's the sexiest bra size

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Spatial posted:

No loving way. These are all actual quotes from the book.

:stare:

An amazing piece of dystopian science fiction.

I feel like I've been transported to a dark future where books are written by an AI.

"Nostalgia is in right now, Dave. This will sell. I predict at least forty percent market penetration within six months."

"Why are you calling me Dave, TypewriterX? What's with the HAL voice?"

"Nostalgia is in right now, Dave."

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
the only people i know who liked the book were the kind of people that confuse "references i get" with "good writing"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa, I just noticed, if you freeze frame the trailer at 1:51 and look closely, you can read the title to a badly written book.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm afraid watching that trailer more than once will give me some incurable brain polyps.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It's in the book? I have no doubt they cast an actress who doesn't sit around all day on the computer for the movie.

Oh I thought you meant one of the actresses in the movie. What occasion does the book find to list her exact height and weight?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

When our children start the genocide of Millenials they will cite this film as justification and they will be right.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

mind the walrus posted:

When our children start the genocide of Millenials they will cite this film as justification and they will be right.
But it was written and directed by white men aged 45-65

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

General Dog posted:

Oh I thought you meant one of the actresses in the movie. What occasion does the book find to list her exact height and weight?

The book is just a series of lists of details. That's what makes it so poo poo.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

!Klams posted:

The book is just a series of lists of details. That's what makes it so poo poo.

As I strapped myself into the 1989 Batmobile (directed by Tim Burton) my eye caught sight of the 55-mph speed limit sign. "Fifty-five? I can't drive fifty-five!" I said with a grin as I remembered the 1980s Sammy Hagar hit which was released shortly before he took over the role of lead singer of Van Halen from David Lee Roth.

My Batmobile sped up along Route 66 (a very historically significant highway, travelled by folks like Elliot Ness, who was featured in the 1987 Brian De Palma epic "The Untouchables" and suddenly I noticed a car in the right lane coming up fast. It was a 1981 Cadillac Seville. As I laid eyes on the all-too-familiar bumper sticker, I said to myself, "Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac." Life and fate had become one as I realized that what I was seeing exactly echoed the 1984 Don Henley hit, "Boys of Summer".

having written this godawful pile of poo poo I am now just as qualified as Steven Spielberg and Ernest Cline to make a steaming shitpile of a film about 80s pop references apropos of nothing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

This is some Gen X bullshit if I've ever seen it

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

It's like John Carpenter's The Thing ate a Rush concert.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Orkin Mang posted:

player 2 has left the game

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Rush is perfect for this film since they're the dorkiest band on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

tenspott posted:

Rush is perfect for this film since they're the dorkiest band on Earth.

Don't equate rush with this poo poo you monster

• Locked thread