Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How is this book real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It reads like some kind of weird parody of what someone would think a film about nerds should be. But it's 100% genuine and people 100% love it and think it's epic. Hahaha.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

joedevola posted:

It's like a fedora that got struck by lightning wrote a book.

lol

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you want a laugh (or a cry) read the Goodread reviews.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* posted:

NERDGASM!!!!!!! Video games, movies and music from the 80's! *posts 300 gifs of "nerd culture"

Stephen posted:

WOOT, WOOT and UBER WOOT all you MMORPGers, this book is the perfect calm down, happy face diversion next time you find yourself offline and frustrated because:

** you’re stuck medding back in a safe zone after nearly being ganked by some douchey griefers who jumped your camp site when the mob you were going to farm spawned so they could kill steal it and abscond with your loot;... *posts another 500 words and I genuinely can't tell if he's serious or not.

Alejandro posted:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets The Big Bang Theory meets TRON (raised to the nth power(TRON, I mean)).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I heard the DELORIAN races the A-TEAM VAN and KITT and STREETHAWK but CHIPS pulls them over hah ha hah.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Universe Master posted:

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I know that! I know that reference!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

!Klams posted:

Like maybe the narrator is supposed to be a cunte and the story is good, but, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's just the author's voice.

Yeah, exactly. If the book had any self awareness at all it could probably do something interesting with how obsession ove rnostalgia is bad and we need to grow and yadda yadda yadda. But no... Talking about Go-Bots all day is LITERALLY the best thing in the world.

Actually watched the trailer and it was just a nightmare of cgi nothingness. BUT I SAW DUKE NUKEM FIGHTING FREDDY KRUEGER!! FUKKEN EPIC!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
READY SLAYER ONE is the story of a kid in the future who has to go into a horror VR world to solve the power up and win the game.
He meets Chucky who says, "GIVE ME THE POWER I BEG OF YOU!"
Pinhead appears and our hero solves the puzzle box and wins points and escapes from Jigsaw
SCREAM appears and asks him questions that he knows, obviously.
Hey, Dawn of the Dead! "This music is called 'The Gonk' dontcha know." (+20 points)
Candyman shows up and he eats the candy.
Pumpkinhead was designed by STAN WINSTOOOOOON!
And Don't forget Bud the Chud!

And so on.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
He comes plenty... With a sex bot. AND IT TOTALLY COUNTS AS REAL SEX.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
She looks like Pris from the movie Blade Runner which was a film that starred a gently caress-bot called Pris. Only this bang-droid is called Kayleigh like from the show Firefly(which came out in the 90s but I'll still wank over it like I do for the 80s stuff) Kayleigh was someone all the nerds wanted to plough because she was also a nerd but a hot one the likes of which we've nver seen the likes of which.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I just wrote RP1 fan-fic. gently caress my life.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Anyone listen to "I don't even own a television" the Goon podcast about terrible books. They summed it up well.
"Ready Player One is a horrible book for boring people."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I rarely have time to listen to podcasts these days, but that sounds incredible. I'll have to make some time tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm afraid watching that trailer more than once will give me some incurable brain polyps.

• Locked thread