Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Barrett Jackson is the reason.

I think I touched on that but I do enjoy watching it when they stream the auctions just so I can see rich white men blow tons of money on something they will never drive through fear of dinging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What is the market for SRT-4s now? All have seemed to vanish from Ontario. Even at track days you don't see them anymore.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BlackMK4 posted:

How bad are the R53 Mini Cooper S? Are we talking..... maintaining an E46? They are stupid cheap for what they are.

They aren't as temperamental as some cars, but they are needy and some things you gotta watch out for and stay on top of. If you get one that has been taken care of

The auto trans are made out of glass, they grenade in 50-60k miles. thats a problem you can ignore if you buy the real version

So that just leaves:
Oil level. they don't typically burn oil like crazy, but the warning lights are known to not work so you have to watch it like a hawk
Engine mounts fail and leak
Strut towers mushroom
Coolant expansion tank is plastic and tends to explode. replace w/ aluminum one
Front control arm bushings blow out
wheel hub/bearings
very fragile wheel speed sensors, typically break during the above replacement
Supercharger service, this is a good one. So the waterpump is powered by the supercharger. It's at the back of the SC driven by PTO gears while the SC runs. Over time the oil in the gear well dries out, and the gears literally grind each other to dust. There is no way to know the level of the oil in the supercharger without putting the car into service mode, aka tearing the whole front of the car apart to get at the SC, at which point you should service the SC anyway.

there might be other small things I can't think of at the moment, but thats the gist of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all three generations of mr2 are still cheap, na mr2s especially. in fact, sw20s have dropped in price since 2012 so far as i can tell. i expect that to change with the aw11 and sw20 at some point, not sure about the zz30 due to its styling.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I feel like I would own both an AW11 and SW20, but the only reason I don't is cause it would cut into money I'd be able to spend on a future FD

Also space for multiple cars :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

I feel like I would own both an AW11 and SW20, but the only reason I don't is cause it would cut into money I'd be able to spend on a future FD

Also space for multiple cars :(

Speaking of FD... https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/fds-for-sale/6243157436.html

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I could do that but it seems like a horrible idea :sweatdrop:

also wont last long lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

oRenj9 posted:

Cobalt SS/TC. The supercharged ones had a solid beam rear axle, but the TC ones came with a multi-link rear and 260+hp.

Saturn Ion Redline as well. It was the same supercharged 2.0, solid beam rear axle, same chassis as the Cobalt. But GMPP offered upgrade kits (for both the Cobalt and Ion) that didn't void the factory warranty - they included a smaller pulley, larger injectors, and a tune, dealer installed. IIRC it was a solid 30-40 hp bump?

The IRL looked a little better IMO (except for that front bumper). Both are hard to find today though, particularly since Chevy brought back the SS name for the n/a 2.4 Cobalt (the 2.4 has quite a bit more power than the 2.2, but falls short to the boosted 2.0). So a Cobalt SS may have the supercharged 2.0, turbocharged 2.0, or n/a 2.4. Depends on year. The IRL only had the supercharged 2.0 (the Ion did offer a 2.4 in 06-07 models, but they sold less than 2000 in 2006, and not real significant numbers in 2007... they got a 2.4 badge on the back).

BlackMK4 posted:

The EP3 Civic is worth dirt but makes a great DD.

Until it gets stolen. Again.

Human Grand Prix posted:

What is the market for SRT-4s now? All have seemed to vanish from Ontario. Even at track days you don't see them anymore.

Most of them have been stolen or wrecked. I haven't seen one in a few months even down here in TX.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 31, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fun tool to play with (use private browser when it blocks you) - https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search

Laranzu posted:

Dumb nitpick : The SVT Contour had the 2.5l Duratec stock. A popular modification was to take 3.0 heads and make a hybrid or to do the 3.0 swap.
Either way it was a pretty great car. Rare as hell now though.
Friend had one of these in high school, was a drat quick car for what it was and was only slightly outrun in the tight stuff by my mk3 gti.

Cars I'm more familiar with:
E30 M3 - market has leveled off, you can find a pretty nice one around 50k and a well put together track car (M3T) for 30k
E30 M3 S14 engine - ships sailed on these, what once was a paperweight being given away is now 8k for one that needs a rebuild (which costs 7.5k+)
E36 M3 (US) - might see good money for a low (<75k) one if it's completely stock or has easily reversible things but with the Euro models available for import soon they're about topped out
E46 M3 - I've been watching for one of these, they may go a little lower but I expect these to start going back up FAST in the next couple years. <100k, manual, stock
E90/92 M3 - Last naturally aspirated M3 and one hell of a car as well as deal even at current prices
E28 M5 - surprised these haven't gone up too much but I expect they will slowly then suddenly jump
E34/39 M5 - they've started to climb but they can still be found for reasonable prices
928 - They're climbing even for not great examples (like the one I had)
Lotus 7 - I stupidly didn't see this coming and they've jumped pretty substantially in the last few years. 15k used to get you a nice one but that isn't the case anymore

Human Grand Prix posted:

If they're still pristine they're in the hands of investors/speculators/collectors or maybe fans of the car. Most of them were crashed and thrashed

One market that's completely exploded in the past say 10 years is the retired race car market, especially anything watched by the boomer generation. 80's/90's Ex-DTM and Gruppe A cars used to sit unsold for next to nothing to the point that they were parted out, now they fetch a premium especially if they have history.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I think the Solstice/Sky twins are getting to be pretty safe bets, especially in the turbo trims and I wouldn't be too surprised to see the nicer ones start appreciating a little like G8 GXPs have done. Whenever I see one I'm surprised at how well their design has aged, especially the Sky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Human Grand Prix posted:

From what I've seen if you own an SRT4 and are able, you start hoarding them because parts are becoming valuable. The guy in our local C&C has 5 or 6 of them currently.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or more likely a sign of early-onset mental illness

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

or more likely a sign of early-onset mental illness

I mean, how else do you explain SRT Neon fandom?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Anything cool (Old, RWD, and Japanese) is stupid expensive in NZ and it's poo poo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
E28 M5s are already shooting up, you used to be able to find decent examples for $12-15k, now it's more like 18-20k or more

E24s are kinda the same way

928s, especially the later GTSes and the like seem to have doubled in the last few years

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GC8 WRX's are currently going through an extinction event, where they are cheap enough to be grabbed by young drivers, they are being scrapped, parted out etc - 10 years and it will get difficult to find one. A good stock one will be a unicorn and priced accordingly.

I've owned two of these and stupidly let them both go.

Is there much that can be done to freshen up a 200k km chassis? Because both of mine had 200k km and still pulled well.

I really want to get another, maybe a wagon this time.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Anything cool (Old, RWD, and Japanese) is stupid expensive in NZ and it's poo poo

I always thought it was the opposite? I suppose it's relative, but at least you can import easier then in oz

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

E: TRIPLE POST :(

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

E36 M3 (US) - might see good money for a low (<75k) one if it's completely stock or has easily reversible things but with the Euro models available for import soon they're about topped out
E46 M3 - I've been watching for one of these, they may go a little lower but I expect these to start going back up FAST in the next couple years. <100k, manual, stock
E90/92 M3 - Last naturally aspirated M3 and one hell of a car as well as deal even at current prices

Quoting you because I am most familiar with these. I agree on E36 that they have topped out for pricing unless you have the LTW. Once the euro market units hit the US nobody will care. You can find a great one for a reasonable price now.

E46 M3; I have seen the prices on these rise back up. What was once available for less than $20K now would be difficult to find for less than $25k. Additionally if you have one with higher miles and lower price/more owners it just drives the gap in pricing further down as the terror of valve adjustments and VANOS problems and the very real concern of rear subframe stuff. Trying to find a late model (05 or 06) in the comp package with low miles commands a price that is so high you should just concede and find an E90/92 instead because it is objectively a better car for the money. I would sell my soul (or what's left) for a Leguna Seca blue on Cinnamon car though...

E90/92; prices have not yet bottomed out. I am super interested in how the next five years plays out on this as those of you who have seen me whore out my E90 I have bought earlier this year. The community is still very divided on this car because of subjective styling but also being "The last of..." and "The only M3 with..." being the often parroted comments about the platform. A lot of conversation also stems from speculation at looking at the past cars that have done well (manual transmission, no sunroof, no nav./tech) as being the defining point of being an "It" car. I agree that anyone who bought a coupe without getting the carbon roof is an idiot. In the future the manual transmission is probably going to be the desired unit, but the DCT is magnificent and a great match to the V8 (and my personal choice). Production stats show it was nearly split 50/50 for DCT/MT cars. Bring a trailer recently had a coupe auction just under $40K that still had the sunroof. The loaded comp pack cars could tip the scales at nearly $75k when new.

To me the E90 is still the more desirable car because it was produced in less numbers (about 5K total from 2008-2011 delivered to North America) and it looks better. Of those about 1200 were "ZCP" competition package cars (only available in the 2011 year). Of the ~5K sedans only about 220 were made in Melbourne Red, and about 350 in Interlagos blue (my color). 85% of the sedans delivered were some variant of white, black, or silver/grey. Right now I think this is the best bang for the buck value with an M3 badge. Globally they did not sell as many E9x cars as the previous E46 either. I assume that is probably from the global financial downturn and these cars having a pretty high markup over the previous generation. I also assume that is why we see an absolute poo poo-ton of 335i cars.

A car I don't think has yet had it's time in the sun would be the 6.2L Ford Raptor. The pinnacle of American Excess :911: people will bemoan the demise of this truck for generations as the snails found their way into the engine bay and the block lost a few pots. Low mileage choices will go up in value by a lot.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A car I don't think has yet had it's time in the sun would be the 6.2L Ford Raptor. The pinnacle of American Excess :911: people will bemoan the demise of this truck for generations as the snails found their way into the engine bay and the block lost a few pots. Low mileage choices will go up in value by a lot.

I'm curious on those Raptors. My business partner thought the same thing and bought one of the last batch then sent it to Roush for a phase 2 kit. He bought an EB F150 as a DD to save mileage on the Raptor but I argued that the GT350 would be the better investment of the two. We shall see.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The *rumors* say for 2019, the 6.2 v8 and 6.8 v10 in the F250s are both being replaced by a single 7.0 V8. The raptor will get a hot N/A version of it, and the GT500 will get a supercharged version of it.

Aluminum bodied 7 liters will hurt the value of steel bodied 6.2s

raptors in general seem to barely depreciate, even with mileage. Beyond a certain point, it becomes cheaper to go aftermarket on a regular f-150, so it's hard to say if they'll ever seriously go up in value. They could bottom out at $25k and start climbing a little.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 1, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I agree, raptors were 50's new and I still see people asking 45k for them. They would have to depreciate into the teens for it to be a good buy.

The 7.0 V8 sounds cool though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

996s might need to go on the list. Pristine examples have been fetching premium prices, Turbos are definitely appreciating. Nice driver examples of Carreras seem to be trending upwards as well.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 1, 2017

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

slidebite posted:

996s might need to go on the list. Pristine examples have been fetching premium prices, Turbos are definitely appreciating. Nice driver examples of Carreras seem to be trending upwards as well.

I feel bad for people who are paying a premium on a 996 unless they are really into pretending they owned a dot com site in the 90s wild wild west internet.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

I feel bad for people who are paying a premium on a 996 unless they are really into pretending they owned a dot com site in the 90s wild wild west internet.

Turbos, GT2s, GT3s, and mint early 99 C2s (to a lesser extent) all have good reasons to appreciate but the others will be fighting Caymans and Boxsters at the low end of the used Porsche market forever. I'm sure there will be a couple museum grade 996s going for large amounts in 25 years but pretty much any decent car will do that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fickle poofterist posted:

I've owned two of these and stupidly let them both go.

Is there much that can be done to freshen up a 200k km chassis? Because both of mine had 200k km and still pulled well.

I really want to get another, maybe a wagon this time.

Yes there's absoltly plenty that can be done! I'm in fact about to start on doing exactly that with a Clubspec Evo 4 WRX - a bunch of new suspension rubbers goes a loooong way to sharpening things up etc.

Or if you are mad like I am, ground up rebuild of a wagon.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

E90/92; prices have not yet bottomed out.
These cars aren't even 10 years old yet (2011 comp. pack specifically) and are still in the $30k range. Out of curiosity, how high do you think they'll stay? Considering a good driver, not a garage queen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fickle poofterist posted:

I always thought it was the opposite? I suppose it's relative, but at least you can import easier then in oz

It isn't a free for all like it used to be, now you have to meet frontal impact and emissions standards or go for something old enough to be exempt (which means you're competing with people from other countries for cars which are likely to be trash anyway)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SAVE ALL WAGONS

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wagons of a lot of types are becoming fashionable now. For older stuff it is because all the 2 door shells are already used up or unsaveable in a junk yard. I do like me a Fury wagon https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=9676

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ that's because they're cool as poo poo :colbert:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

These cars aren't even 10 years old yet (2011 comp. pack specifically) and are still in the $30k range. Out of curiosity, how high do you think they'll stay? Considering a good driver, not a garage queen.

Right - they aren't 10 years old yet but people mourned their passing nearly immediately once revealed the new M3's were going to be turbocharged and have electric power steering. The options for the E92 (coupe) are far more plentiful because they went through 2013 and made up over 60% of production for USA/Canada (~22% for sedan, the remainder convertible). You can find a whole mess of juicy data on production breakdown (transmission, color, year, options) via this big spreadsheet here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863761

I don't know if I ever see 2011 competition package M3's ever dipping below $25K unless you have racked up a metric crap-ton of miles or if it has been wrecked. I would say sedans with a clean CarFax, service records and less than 100K miles will likely not ever dip below $30K. Garage queens with good options are probably never dipping below $35K. Watching Enthusiast Auto Group which is typically the top end of the market as well as watching the BMW USA used website it seems that prices were driven down with the F8x release, but have since stabilized quite a bit and have been hovering around where they are at now for the last ~9 months or so.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Jymmybob posted:

the others will be fighting Caymans and Boxsters at the low end of the used Porsche market forever

Those aren't 911s, though. Don't underestimate Porsche snobbery.

It may take a while, but 996s will go up. Especially as the supply of affordable older Porsches dries up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finally saw an SRT-4 the other day. It had clearly been sitting for a long time and had rear quarter work done (poorly). Was relatively stock though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Trans Ferdinand posted:

It may take a while, but 996s will go up. Especially as the supply of affordable older Porsches dries up.

I always thought the Turbo and GT3 variants of the 996 were well regarded?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
996 GT3 prices have started going up the past couple years. (Unfortunately for me)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Imo the oddballs of the 70's and 80's are a good bet. Theres a lot of cars from this era everybody remembers and assumes are common but nobody took care of them and they are actually rare as gently caress. Things like an 80's Celica kinda slot in here. Nobody took care of these and they are still cheap but its actually really hard to find a good clean original. A crx orginal, in good condition, good luck. We arent very far out from people looking around and realising all the good examples of these cars are actually crazy rare even if they never were originally. Its kinda what happened to the 914, half those things split in half just sitting there and the rest were run ragged 10 years ago. Everybody remembers these as common cheap cars and the price stayed low cause "its just a baby porsche" till you couldnt find one without rust or frame damage and almost overnight the cost of them doubled.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I agree with all of this. People hate on the 996 because it is practically a meme to do so and the popular thing. The people who can look past that are buying them up and showing how capable they are. Jymmybob picked up a sweetheart of a turbo that will annihilate nearly all of the cars in his general vicinity for the price most people are spending on some dumb SUV and less than a bro-truck. There is no doubt they will go up in price. I was seriously considering getting one over my E90, but practicality of four doors won out for me. When I am ready for a 911 I will buy the newest turbo 911 my money will get me.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

There were claims that the 996 would not hold value like the 993 and prior cars as it was water cooled. Those claims were made by dumb people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Truth.

• Locked thread