Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

either that or they're insecure about being way less manly than all the Imperial Army officers, and wildly overcompensating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
For the beginning of CS2: Just got Fie and Elliot. Should I keep using Toval for more link points? I'm not sure if these guest characters stay or what.

Or does it not matter if I just do the events using the max event points mode

poe meater fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 19, 2018

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

About your question, guest characters don't stay, but when they do leave whoever is at Bond Level 3 and is at the highest level out of them gives you a unique accessory. So if you want an accessory that's a better version of what Toval has locked in his first accessory slot keep using him. Otherwise, you can wait for one of the other guest characters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's actually a bit worse than his.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Oh crap you're right, thanks for catching that. I guess this is one of those problems in not playing the game for a while.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is Cold Steel's structure significantly different from Trails in the Sky's? I've liked a lot of the bracer guild sidequests, but as a whole I don't really like how they slow the momentum of the plot down so much. I'm in the middle of Zeiss in FC and I just can't feel motivated to do random errands for people when the game's plot is finally starting to get moving.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yes, but not in the way you're hoping. There are still a ton of random errands you have to do for people all over Erebonia.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I like how friendly the two mercs are. Fie sounded very sad too.

What's up with her lack of clothes tho

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Cephas posted:

Is Cold Steel's structure significantly different from Trails in the Sky's? I've liked a lot of the bracer guild sidequests, but as a whole I don't really like how they slow the momentum of the plot down so much. I'm in the middle of Zeiss in FC and I just can't feel motivated to do random errands for people when the game's plot is finally starting to get moving.

If you didn't like the plot moving at glacial pace then be warned that in CS1 nothing loving happens for 95% of the game. Then in like an hour you get a barrage of twists, turns and huge reveals and the game ends.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

poe meater posted:

I like how friendly the two mercs are. Fie sounded very sad too.

What's up with her lack of clothes tho

It's apparently a Jaeger Corps thing. Wait until you see her Red Constellation counterpart (not appearing in CS2).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fie's one of those problems where the artbook version is fine, but the way the game does body modeling makes it worse (because they have like 2 body model types).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Well, beat CS2 after 63'ish hours (maybe minus a few hours considering the turbo function also speeds up the in-game clock). I never finished Trails in the Sky SC, but from the three Trails games I've completed so far, feeling very unsatisfied with the ending seems to be a recurring pattern for me :v:

I read about it beforehand, but it really shows that the Cold Steel games were supposed to be just one game, because by god is the second game stuffed to the gills with filler content. Even after taking out the Infernal Castle the loving game just wouldn't end, but had to drag it out another 10-15 hours or so with mostly dumb sidequests and a sewer level with characters I've never seen.

I liked the games, ending(s) notwithstanding, but I feel like CS2 makes you work too hard for the interesting story bits, and at the end of it all it doesn't really feel like there's any closure. Then again, I guess that's to be expected considering it's all supposed to fit into one really long storyline spanning a ton of games with different characters.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 23, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You should definitely go back and beat SC and The 3rd, if you want satisfying endings.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, Trails 3rd is definitely among my favourite game endings ever. Dunno what gets the top spot but it's certainly nearby. Worth going back to try the Sky games again if you're willing - especially if you played before turbo mode was introduced.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Finishing SC is on the "list", hopefully I'll get around to completing it someday.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Rean I know it's nice to fight together with your sister but do you need to headpat her every time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

AG3 posted:

Well, beat CS2 after 63'ish hours (maybe minus a few hours considering the turbo function also speeds up the in-game clock). I never finished Trails in the Sky SC, but from the three Trails games I've completed so far, feeling very unsatisfied with the ending seems to be a recurring pattern for me :v:

I read about it beforehand, but it really shows that the Cold Steel games were supposed to be just one game, because by god is the second game stuffed to the gills with filler content. Even after taking out the Infernal Castle the loving game just wouldn't end, but had to drag it out another 10-15 hours or so with mostly dumb sidequests and a sewer level with characters I've never seen.

I liked the games, ending(s) notwithstanding, but I feel like CS2 makes you work too hard for the interesting story bits, and at the end of it all it doesn't really feel like there's any closure. Then again, I guess that's to be expected considering it's all supposed to fit into one really long storyline spanning a ton of games with different characters.

The characters you've never seen is an issue with the Crossbell arc not being localized; Lloyd is the protagonist of Zero and Azure and Rixia is playable in Azure as well.

So it will feel disconnected and completely pointless without the context of those games.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Finished prologue, Toval is good :hellyeah: (EDIT: NG+ Nightmare, hope I don't regret it!)

Also, you know it's a Falcom game when the cat has her own character flaws and is conscientious of them

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 26, 2018

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Guest 2 owns and is very cool. Can guest 3 even compare?

Also the boss battle before getting guest 3 was very easy and they never used any s-crafts? Maybe I got lucky.

The bosses so far have been very amusing and entertaining in their interactions with the party. The enemy base must be a hoot to hang out in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guest 3 is kind of like Fie, if Fie did more damage, handed out Nightmares with every attack, and had a souped-up fullscreen Blessed Arrow+Curia along with a fullscreen S-Craft that has a (superfluous) 100% instakill.

Guest 3's okay.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

poe meater posted:

Guest 2 owns and is very cool. Can guest 3 even compare?

Guest 3 is even better for all the reasons ReallyPants mentioned. "Like Fie" in that case meant "speedy", "native 30% evade", "offensive crafts that really mess poo poo up" and "field attack covering a wide variety of attack types".

poe meater posted:

Also the boss battle before getting guest 3 was very easy and they never used any s-crafts? Maybe I got lucky.

The bosses don't use S-crafts in that battle. To compensate, you're expected to completely defeat them within 40 turns instead of merely drain the HP of one of them to 30% in order to get bonus AP.

poe meater posted:

The bosses so far have been very amusing and entertaining in their interactions with the party.

:allears:

poe meater posted:

The enemy base must be a hoot to hang out in.

:allears:

Erpy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 28, 2018

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Guest 3 did have great smug expressions.

drat I gotta restart the battle then. I don't think I got the bonus AP. I did get it on the two Merc boss battle.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Guest 3, coincidentally, is a great candidate for sepith farming with the Scepter master quartz due to their twice-hitting crafts and their multi-hit S-Craft.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Not tons to add to the thread, but I've been loving the CS2 port. Good stuff. Really wish I had known about this series, including Trails in the Sky, much earlier. Minor gripes here and there, but definitely not enough to outweigh the positives in my opinion. Also, from a mechanical standpoint, it seems like CS2's normal mode is at least slightly more challenging than CS1.

Although, I did have some really, really nasty slow down at the beginning of the game. Bounced out and set all the options to high again and seemed to have no issues afterwards. Still weird though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Absurd Shadows melted my computer, but Ultra Shadows run just fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CS2 is only challenging in the beginning if you want all the AP. Otherwise it's probably easier than CS1 overall, especially because you're not struggling to buy shoes for your party members.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Met the funny knight last night. I like how Laura destroyed her with politeness.

She definitely doesn't need that armor and is cosplaying isn't she.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

poe meater posted:

Met the funny knight last night. I like how Laura destroyed her with politeness.

She definitely doesn't need that armor and is cosplaying isn't she.

She's the best. I really want to see her meet Estelle.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

She's the best. I really want to see her meet Estelle.

A joke you might not be aware of is that Duvalie’s English voice actor (Eden Riegel) also voiced Estelle in Tales of Vesperia.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BearDrivingTruck posted:

A joke you might not be aware of is that Duvalie’s English voice actor (Eden Riegel) also voiced Estelle in Tales of Vesperia.

That's even better!

Duvalie was a much better performance.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Okay, now that I have finished this awesome game (2 I mean), is there going to be a third part like with Sky? If so, how many years away is it? :smith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cold Steel 4 releases this Fall in Japan, and I wouldn't expect to hear any news on the localization of those two until after that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Okay, now that I have finished this awesome game (2 I mean), is there going to be a third part like with Sky? If so, how many years away is it? :smith:

Part 3 and Part 4 will get localized someday. No word if it'll just be PS4 or if there will be a PC version also.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Oh wow, four parts? Even better! Thanks for the replies. Going back over the last couple pages, I see I'm not alone in appreciation for how good the localization is for these games. I can't wait.

Also, good poll. I would have voted for Olivert if he were a party member. Come on parts 3 and/or 4. Do it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Oh wow, four parts? Even better! Thanks for the replies. Going back over the last couple pages, I see I'm not alone in appreciation for how good the localization is for these games. I can't wait.

Also, good poll. I would have voted for Olivert if he were a party member. Come on parts 3 and/or 4. Do it.

Minor CS3 spoilers: apparantly he briefly joins the party as a guest party member in Cold Steel III and he even wears the same white outfit he was wearing when he was a party member in the first two Sky games.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
CS2: Just got started again and made it back from Celdic/Garrelia.

"Oh, he doesn't just stand on his tank, he does it in live fire combat. And then he makes a squad of mecha pilots consider retreating when he shouts at them."

Elliot and General Craig are such ideal anime people and I want to see them make it through this war!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

CS2: Just got started again and made it back from Celdic/Garrelia.

"Oh, he doesn't just stand on his tank, he does it in live fire combat. And then he makes a squad of mecha pilots consider retreating when he shouts at them."

Elliot and General Craig are such ideal anime people and I want to see them make it through this war!

To be fair, it is an acknowledged fact in-universe that badasses can block artillery shells with their teeth none for the worse. Even in real life, a good tank commander should risk staying outside and exposed for as much as possible, because visibility inside a tank is kinda crap.

It is also an acknowledged fact that the badasses can't be everywhere at once; Cassius didn't beat Erebonia in the Hundred Days war because he was a level max jRpg hero that would take direct and blatant divine intervention to stop, he won because he implemented good military strategy and tactics and kept Liberl's morale sky-high.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Olaf Craig is savvy enough to know that tank armor is nothing compared to plot armor.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Any named adult in a trails game has more HP than a tank anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Is the launcher for this on Steam supposed to let you map controls if you're playing with a PS3 controller?

• Locked thread