Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The beginning dungeon might actually be the worst of the three series I've played in terms of setup. I've forgotten how bad Machias was and how forced drama the alisa thing was.

But mostly, shut up Machias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Machias is great, because the other characters laugh at his blustering too and he has some good character development later.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know that, but he makes the worst first impression and you don't really solve that for a few hours until his field trip.

"I hate nobles, also women can't take care of themselves"

"What, a girl?! I won't let one get one over me!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh my god it runs so smooth. What a thing!

Also don't forget the most important thing about Cold Steel that is not immediately obvious: you can dash by holding R1.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tae posted:

The beginning dungeon might actually be the worst of the three series I've played in terms of setup. I've forgotten how bad Machias was and how forced drama the alisa thing was.

But mostly, shut up Machias.

An anime game without accidental boob touching drama is just not the same.

Jokes aside, the whole start to Alisa's character is why I never understood the franchise slamming her and Rean together for everything. Alisa has to play catchup for way too long to snag Rean's heart away from Laura. And Fie. And Emma. And sensei. And Jusis. And a motorcycle.:swoon:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
machias is my friend and we're going to eat the rich together

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Jokes aside, the whole start to Alisa's character is why I never understood the franchise slamming her and Rean together for everything. Alisa has to play catchup for way too long to snag Rean's heart away from Laura. And Fie. And Emma. And sensei. And Jusis. And a motorcycle.:swoon:

Eh, not really? In terms of main story scenes they have a number of 1-on-1 bits relatively quick.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

An anime game without accidental boob touching drama is just not the same.

Shame on you for forgetting tiny senpai in your list :colbert:

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Rean x Sidequests is the only true pairing.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I played trails in the sky for 8 hours and really couldn't get into it. The combat was too simple/easy, travel was a huge chore, and the dialogue was not enjoyable enough to make up for it. Despite this, I really want to to try Cold Steel. Does it improve on these aspects?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 3, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I played trails in the sky for 8 hours and really couldn't get into it. The combat was too simple/easy and the dialogue was not enjoyable enough to make up for it. Despite this, I really want to to try Cold Steel. Does it improve on these aspects?

If the issue is that you found the dialogue just not good enough to power through the 95% brain dead combat but good in and of itself, then yeah, Cold Steel on Hard fixes that and it's battle system is the same basic thing but considerably refined so that you're actively encouraged to exploit status ailment weaknesses in every encounter to make things go smoother.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Battles in cold steel are basically abusing (and the game expecting you) the fact that you basically have unlimited CP and can do like 2-3 attacks per turn. It's far less about attrition compared to the Sky combat.

There's also persona 4 style fast travel in bringing up a menu for most areas. And you go faaaaast in turbo mode.

Side-note, IllBackYouUp! is still there. Odd thing, considering they touched up other lines.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Steam or GoG? I need roughly a million Shining Pom baits if that changes anything.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

Steam or GoG? I need roughly a million Shining Pom baits if that changes anything.

Whichever. Steam, Gog, and Humble are all the same build of the game (and are all drm free). Game just looks for steam or gog galaxy running (and you owning the game) to flag achievements, etc. If neither are detected it runs in DRM free/no achievements mode.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
To everyone who hasn't played this but is curious enough to click on this thread: Play this game, it's a good rpg with fun characters and an interesting story.

I would play through it again but I have enough on my plate already. I barely started 3rd.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

drat it totally has the same G-sync stutter during loading transitions like the Trails in the Sky games. Oh well guess I'll just turn G-sync off. Basically when the engine drops to like 20 fps while loading a new map the monitor refresh rate also drops close to that and it's kind of jarring. It quickly jumps back through 2 or 3 transitions (30, 45, 60) real quick like but that causes stutter.

Oh well, again it's easy enough to fix it by just disabling g-sync.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My hard playthrough, I almost got wiped out by random battles outside cedric. Jesus, I'm not touching nightmare now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nightmare's fine if you bring over some NG+ bonuses.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Tae posted:

My hard playthrough, I almost got wiped out by random battles outside cedric. Jesus, I'm not touching nightmare now.

Starting on hard may have been a mistake. Oh well guess we'll see what happens. I only played Sky on normal and a couple battles in the third nearly kicked my rear end.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Man, some of these early NPC scenes are pretty interesting having finished 2 in retrospective: Just saw Rosine getting a permission slip from a certain nerdy history instructor to do volunteer work at the Church.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
thats not really new, I think Rosine spends like 90% of her free time in CS1 at the church anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Rean & Alisa were originally paired leads, like Estelle & Joshua or Kevin & Ries. Then somebody said "NO IT HAS TO BE A HAREM"

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

OddObserver posted:

Man, some of these early NPC scenes are pretty interesting having finished 2 in retrospective: Just saw Rosine getting a permission slip from a certain nerdy history instructor to do volunteer work at the Church.

do ho ho

e: one of the nice thing about 3d portraits is that you can't judge how important a character is just from whether or not they have one anymore

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 3, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CVE posted:

Shame on you for forgetting tiny senpai in your list :colbert:

Oh my good friend, I did not forget. Just making a point. The point was this: I feel like the whole grope thing was dragged out for way too long, it made Alisa just really one note for the first hour or two of the game. After those two hours, the player will typically have an idea of which characters are appealing to them in the long run.

I like Alisa, she winds up being awesome both in story and in game, but my first run through of CS1 she was an afterthought to me for a long while.

EDIT:

Really Pants posted:

Rean & Alisa were originally paired leads, like Estelle & Joshua or Kevin & Ries. Then somebody said "NO IT HAS TO BE A HAREM"

This makes sense. They probably didn't change much of the events between Alisa and Rean before they added in the harem elements. Without having to make any choices, the rocky start would be far more tolerable...I think.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Never change Xseed, never change.

The PC port is great so far, my only complainant is that it locks your mouse while it's open, which has made trying to stream it kind of a bitch so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

":h: indeed..."

PC port validated.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh my god this game is so gorgeous and smooth and I'm not even to the Nord Highlands yet. I'm so excited!

ChaosSora posted:

The PC port is great so far, my only complainant is that it locks your mouse while it's open, which has made trying to stream it kind of a bitch so far.
This is super annoying.

Terper posted:

":h: indeed..."

PC port validated.
Sean Chiplock is a national treasure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fear not, Elliot. I will spare you the pain of drowning in soup. For I have...

Cheat Engine!

e: Which also gives me unlimited bonding points, :toot:

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 3, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

First Old Schoolhouse boss tried to hit Rean and the damage happened before the animation was finished.

Terper posted:

Cheat Engine!
Teach me the secrets!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's super simple.

In the Value search, input the number of whatever you're searching for. So if you have 1000 mira, input 1000, then click New Scan. Several different addresses that currently have the value of 1000 will then show up on the list to the left. To trim the list, buy something cheap, say for 20 mira, then change the search value to 980 and click Next Scan. Repeat until you have one or two addresses left. Double click these.

When you've added them to this list, double click the Value number and change it to whatever you want to. The one I have highlighted is the bonding points value, and the one above it is my mira. To find this one, I just searched for 2 when I got my first points, then after I had done my first event, I searched for 1. Then I ran around a bit and opened some menu and talked to some people and clicked Next Scan again without changing the number, to trim the list. Then I did another event, and now my bp was 0, so I searched for that, and I only had one address left. I simply bumped the Value up to 2 and now I have 2 bonding points again. If you check the Active box to the far left, then the value won't change even if you do something that would impact it in-game, giving you unlimited bonding points.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I imagine using cheat engine will lock you out of achievements? Cause I've been thinking cheats are the only way I wanna cruise through CS1 again.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I can't check, but I'm pretty sure it can't lock you out of achievements.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Shinjobi posted:

I imagine using cheat engine will lock you out of achievements? Cause I've been thinking cheats are the only way I wanna cruise through CS1 again.

It won't. The game itself has no way to detect you're using Cheat Engine. Steam doesn't care about CE either, unless you're cheating on a VAC-enabled game (i.e. online multiplayer games).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Baaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Here we go again.:madmax:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Someone has already posted a "speedrun" complete save, if you just want to start a NG+ carrying over bonding points. I don't know if it'll also carry over data like number of battles fought, which might prevent you from getting 100 battles achievements.

EDIT:

autoraso posted:

After testing and looking at what actually carries over if you do not pick any other option aside from the Points and costumes, only the interupted arts stat carried over and the file only has 46 interupts and you need 100 for the achievement and the game time carried over which is 25 hours out of 100 hours.

Everything else was reset to zero.

So you can get all the achievements using this save file.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 3, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Someone has already posted a "speedrun" complete save, if you just want to start a NG+ carrying over bonding points. I don't know if it'll also carry over data like number of battles fought, which might prevent you from getting 100 battles achievements.

I think you get to choose when starting NG+ what to carry over and what not to, and there's an option to carry over Notes or not. I think leaving it blank means you don't inherit battle info, character notes, and so on, so that should be fine. Even if it doesn't do that, I'd imagine all that stuff can be reset to zero with Cheat Engine if you really need to.

EDIT: Here's a full list of the NG+ options nicked from some Gamefaqs post:

Gamefaqs posted:

Link Lvl / Rush / Burst (0 point)
- inherit link level, can use rush and burst command from the start

Mira / sepith (1 point)
- inherit mira and sepith

Item (1 point)
- inherit various kinds of items (equips, master quartz, quartz, consumables, books), except certain event items

Various Note Info (1 point)
- inherit various Note information (battle, character, recipes, fish, books)

Status (2 points)
- character level, slots, master quartz level

Stage Costume (1 point)

Other Costumes (1 point)

Swimsuit Costume (2 points)

Mira +300,000, sepith x 3000 of each element (2 points)

Bond Action Point MAX (4 points)
- maximum amount of bond action points during free-days

smenj fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 3, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This port is so smooth aaaaaaaahhhhhh I have only two complaints about it, but both of which were solved with external programs already on my computer, anyway:

1) Borderless windowed. Borderless Gaming with it auto-detecting the Cold Steel process fixed that.

2) When using my Dualshock controller, anything that wasn't a cardinal direction on my left thumbstick would make Rean walk instead of run. Switched over to using DS4Windows, and that fixed it. Not entirely sure this is the fault of the game, but I have a workaround, I'm not gonna look a gifthorse in the mouth.

Durante should get some kind of award for this effort, because god drat

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, he got paid. If anything, XSEED should be given credit for allowing a freelancer to get so much control over the port. From what he wrote, he was basically given the keys to make the port from the ground up instead of trying to fit a square PS3 game into a round PC hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chapter 1 boss down on Nightmare :toot: His Fists of Fury managed to beat Rean into a fine paste at one point, but other than that no casualties, which I'll take as a victory. Also I'm not allowed to use S-Crafts unless the boss is under 10k HP/near death.

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 3, 2017

• Locked thread