Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
No Rean Coldsteel in OP, 0/10.

Edit: Also on a serious note post the comparison video showing the abolishment of Oddly Silent Rean, since that's a pretty big point in the PC version's favor.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

Also, the Japanese voice actor portraying protagonist Rean was apparantly very expensive and somewhat of a prima donna, so either he couldn't make time to record all of Rean's Japanese lines or Falcom couldn't afford them. As a result, in the console versions, Rean is frequently unvoiced in cutscenes that do have voice acting for other characters. XSeed offered to fill in the blanks in the console version, but Falcom didn't want to make the required changes to the code. With them having complete control over the PC version, XSeed has fixed up the "Silent Rean" problem by recording additional lines and inserting them into the cutscenes where other characters are voiced. This eliminates a rather jarring issue the console versions had. XSeed also added voices for characters who are voiced in the sequel, but not in the first game.

As often as Silent Protagonist Rean (rightfully, goddamn Falcom) gets ragged on, it's kind of an issue with the whole game with a lot of named characters not getting voice acting and Generic Jaeger/Soldier not getting VA in otherwise voiced cutscenes, and it becomes flat-out absurd in CS2, so I'm inclined to say it's purely a budget thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I played trails in the sky for 8 hours and really couldn't get into it. The combat was too simple/easy and the dialogue was not enjoyable enough to make up for it. Despite this, I really want to to try Cold Steel. Does it improve on these aspects?

If the issue is that you found the dialogue just not good enough to power through the 95% brain dead combat but good in and of itself, then yeah, Cold Steel on Hard fixes that and it's battle system is the same basic thing but considerably refined so that you're actively encouraged to exploit status ailment weaknesses in every encounter to make things go smoother.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
thats not really new, I think Rosine spends like 90% of her free time in CS1 at the church anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

In addition to cut-off points being made clear, the hidden sidequests are more predictable. (there's always one in the evening on each free day and always one on each field study)

What the gently caress?!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

If you missed one already, it's because you failed to play by the universal Trails rule...talk to everyone every time the dialogue changes.

Nah, I've beaten CS1 and just have to force myself through the final dungeon of 2 after FC (no computer so I can't play Third), I just didn't know there was a specific time for them or I would have dropped my Nightmare New Game+ rule for at least the school ones.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Not gonna go into spoilers obviously but you're in for a treat come endgame. :allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Scud Ripper just proc'd its 30% Deathblow if it one-shot you, lol.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Pit Demons gibbed my party in two Devil Beams. School House Basement is probably the worst of this game unless it contains something absolutely mind-blowing.

Uhh, nope, nothing at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

Apparantly stacking additional delay quartz on your character and being under the influence of a speed buff raises the chance of a delay effect hitting, despite enemy resistence.

I knew the delay quartz stacking part, but speed buffs raise the rate too? That's insanely busted, especially with Fie getting a delay effect on her best craft and final level of the Raven master quartz.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caidin posted:

Cool, thanks for the answers.

Then they would be wannabes, Dropout sounds like they flunked outta training or something. :mad:

I kinda took it to mean that they washed out of a real jaëger corps, then made their own. Because real ones are kinda huge badasses, as you'll find out in CS2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno, I actually like Cold Steel combat (up until the point where bosses are only feasibly vulnerable to Delay) so I kinda feel like FC being 90% Aerial/Hell Gate/WHITE GEHENNA with a side helping of Earth Wall is noticeably worse than CS1 where you have to wait for the busted poo poo like Flame Impact and Delay Cyclone, at least if both games let you skip/turbo the actual animations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn't fist pump but that's only because I hadn't played FC in like five years, ima probably woot super hard when I replay CS now that im like 80% SC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Rean as a teacher is pretty out there, but tiny sensei's whole character was basically doing the work of a dozen people, often including teachers, on her own nonchalantly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Towa is a japanese name (well, kind of, there's some towns in japan named that and like two japanese musicians named that) so I always figured the reason for her being so comparatively short is her being partly fantasy-asian in a world of fantasy-europeans. that's literally just a thing i made up based on nothing, though, there's no implication of her having any foreign ancestry. why am i posting about this.

But yeah, she's the same age as the other third years, she's just short. Even outside of my ~headcanons~ plenty of people are just randomly short.

It's been a while but IIRC in the festival one of her events has her mention specific that Towa is an unusual name for her to have and that some of her family are actually foreign.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

i mean yeah if you want everything to take way longer go ahead

Maybe I'm just bad at them, but nearly every monster I tried ambushing always turned around, so this was my strategy pretty much always anyway. Also for CS2:

Really Pants posted:

you can't spell "field attacks" without Fie

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Finished Chapter 4, also known as Reveal Your Childhood Weekend Machias did get better. Also I have a really bad/sorry feeling about Elliot considering what he wants.

Post your reaction to Elliot's dad when you get there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

THE MUSCULAR EMBRACE OF OLAF CRAIG, GENERAL OF THE 4TH ARMORED DIVISION AND PROUD AND LOVING FATHER, WHO IS EVER OPTIMISTIC ABOUT HIS SON'S PROSPECTS FOR THE FUTURE

Please tell me he has to answer to Fiona at some point. :3:

I'm not gonna say no...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

This is actually the biggest deal. Wait for the PC version.

Yeah, for reference CS1 PS3/Vita had 10,000 lines of voiced dialogue and CS1 PC has 15,000, and even if the ratio's off it stands out way more than it ever did in CS1 even if there's less Oddly Silent Rean, without going into spoilers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You don't think 50% more voice acting in a game that's only 70% voiced to begin with isn't worthwhile?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Finished the game last night. I'm not sure what to think. I appreciate the combat improvements (way, way better than Sky for sure) but it's not why you play Kiseki games for. The story was underwhelming unfortunately. It really didn't help that they crammed all the Things Actually Happening in like the last 30 minutes of the script. The calendar didn't work at all - characters were discussing stuff that happened a month ago like it was yesterday. It was also monotonous - bit of school plot, dungeon, miniboss, bit of town plot, dungeon and a bigger boss, repeated six times.

The female character designs were awful. It seems that north of the Liberl line girls need to wear nothing but miniskirts and boots. Also one of the bosses has boobs bigger than her face. And of course there are witches and murderous maids (who are apparently into S&M stuff). It's like they tried to cram every lovely new-school anime cliche they possibly could.

I think I'll go through Sky games again, this time talking to ALL the npcs.

My dude, are you poo poo-talking Laura’s stylistic/impractical heel boots? Also I feel like you’re just looking for reasons to gripe if Sharon using chain ropes to fight a gundam with is dumb but Renne with Hot Pink Giant Robo is A-OK, along with Brooding and Mysterious Super Handsome guy. And witches seem out there when poo poo like the Dominion exist, and Bleublanc/Luciola?

Idk, maybe it’s because Cold Steel got me into the games but it sort of seems like how people argue Fire Emblem was never anime when it was really just 90s/00’s anime. I kinda found Cold Steel fairly grounded in comparison to sky since the latter had a magic arc that literally makes dreams come true and a loving dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'm legitimately shocked that you won with regular attacks. How did you deal that much damage? How did you not die from only having two heals?

I was like level 68 on Nightmare and managed more or less doing that, it’s basically kinda RNG-reliant though since Morning Moon isn’t an auto-dodge but if the 50% dodge procs, you know, 50% of the time and you’re keeping up your TP by never forgetting the stances it’s feasible.

• Locked thread