Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Finished the game last night. I'm not sure what to think. I appreciate the combat improvements (way, way better than Sky for sure) but it's not why you play Kiseki games for. The story was underwhelming unfortunately. It really didn't help that they crammed all the Things Actually Happening in like the last 30 minutes of the script. The calendar didn't work at all - characters were discussing stuff that happened a month ago like it was yesterday. It was also monotonous - bit of school plot, dungeon, miniboss, bit of town plot, dungeon and a bigger boss, repeated six times.

The female character designs were awful. It seems that north of the Liberl line girls need to wear nothing but miniskirts and boots. Also one of the bosses has boobs bigger than her face. And of course there are witches and murderous maids (who are apparently into S&M stuff). It's like they tried to cram every lovely new-school anime cliche they possibly could.

I think I'll go through Sky games again, this time talking to ALL the npcs.

Cold Steel 1 and 2 suffer from being one game originally that was split into two because of Vita limitations. It creates a situation that Cold Steel 1 ends just as things gets interesting and Cold Steel 2 has a lot of filler and padding to justify being a complete game when it's really the direct continuation of Cold Steel 1. What you've also spoilered is much more interesting and has a fairly huge payoff in Cold Steel 2 and 3 but if you've just played 1 then yeah of course it's going to seem dumb.

Having said that, the character designs barring Millium weren't too egregious to me? It's a Japanese style school uniform, it isn't something like Senran Kagura where everyone is wearing clothes far too small for their size. I wish I could say the same for Cold Steel 2's character designs, sadly. Especially Altina who looks way better in Cold Steel 3 than she does in 2 but, that's outside the scope of this thread I think.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Wasn't Erebonia supposed to be Germany and that country Zin was from to be Japan-based?

Erebonia is loosely based on Germany but is obviously very different. Just like Liberl is loosely based on Thailand, Crossbell is loosely based on Hong Kong and Calvard is loosely based on the USA but with heavy East Asian influences added to the mix. But just because Erebonia is very loosely based on Germany, don't assume there isn't a lot of Japanese-isms in the games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Wait now there's going to be a fourth ToCS? Just kill me now

If it's any consolation, the subtitle for 4 is "End of Saga". So unless Falcom are going to make their subtitle completely wrong, it's safe to assume this will be the end of this arc.

They also said they want to wait 2-3 years after this before releasing the next arc (Calvard probably).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

AG3 posted:

Well, beat CS2 after 63'ish hours (maybe minus a few hours considering the turbo function also speeds up the in-game clock). I never finished Trails in the Sky SC, but from the three Trails games I've completed so far, feeling very unsatisfied with the ending seems to be a recurring pattern for me :v:

I read about it beforehand, but it really shows that the Cold Steel games were supposed to be just one game, because by god is the second game stuffed to the gills with filler content. Even after taking out the Infernal Castle the loving game just wouldn't end, but had to drag it out another 10-15 hours or so with mostly dumb sidequests and a sewer level with characters I've never seen.

I liked the games, ending(s) notwithstanding, but I feel like CS2 makes you work too hard for the interesting story bits, and at the end of it all it doesn't really feel like there's any closure. Then again, I guess that's to be expected considering it's all supposed to fit into one really long storyline spanning a ton of games with different characters.

The characters you've never seen is an issue with the Crossbell arc not being localized; Lloyd is the protagonist of Zero and Azure and Rixia is playable in Azure as well.

So it will feel disconnected and completely pointless without the context of those games.

• Locked thread