Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just a note - people might want to remember that Cold Steel is on the Humble Store as well (or, rather, it will be in about 10 minutes here it is!). Buying it from there means you get a Steam key, XSEED get a bigger cut of your money (I think), and you can give 5% of your purchase money to charity or back to your wallet. Especially worth remembering this if you're a Humble Monthly subscriber, since you get a further discount on the game too.

That said, buying the game on Steam pushes it up the Top Sellers bit, which presumably helps.

smenj fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Turbo mode literally is only there because of Nord highlands

Combat being too slow and full of unskippable animations was a pretty consistent complaint about the Sky games that people used Cheat Engine to get around. It's less relevant in Cold Steel since you can skip most of the animations in combat, but it's nice that it's been added as an in-built option this time. It's nice for getting around the Nord Highlands, sure, but I'd guess far more people are going to be using it in combat.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Final blog post from Durante about the port is up - this one regards the new turbo mode, as well as the fact that the game supports ultrawide aspect ratios!

EDIT: Or you could just click that link in the post above mine, instead.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I've just noticed that there's a separate bundle for the DLC which isn't linked on the game's store page. I doubt anyone's all that interested in the DLC, but the bundle's 55% off compared to buying it all individually.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Will the experience be improved by sequential play? I own all four on PC, and intend on getting around to them all, but the art style of cold steel looks awesome, and I've had an awful lot of trouble getting into the first trails in the sky's slow burn at the start.

Personally, I think so - Cold Steel references some things from the Sky games, and while they're largely throwaway references that are little more than small nods to the previous games, there is one major thing from SC that the Cold Steel games spoil, but it's nothing huge in the grand scheme of things. Just a cool reveal that you'd see coming in advance rather than being surprised by it. If you're enjoying the Sky games well enough then you may as well finish them first before trying Cold Steel, I'd say. However, since you're saying you're having real trouble getting into FC, you may just want to go ahead and try Cold Steel anyway. There's only the one major plot point that gets spoiled, and they're perfectly good jumping-in points otherwise. There's even some stuff in Trails 3rd that foreshadows lots of Cold Steel, which is all cool to see in retrospect.

I'd just say that although you think FC is slow to start, Cold Steel 1 is hardly devoid of pacing problems either. It's quite a bit too long in my opinion, and really drags at times, though it's still a great game overall. All I mean is that if you're hoping to jump into a faster-paced game by going straight for Cold Steel, you won't necessarily get it.

smenj fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 2, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Weirdly enough, I haven't found FC slow yet, so much as I find it overwhelming; thus far there have been a massive number of state changes between each plot beat, to the point that I feel like I can basically run around town and get new content for tons of NPCs that isn't vital to the plot, but which I want to get. So it always turns into a huge-seeming endeavor that requires a certain mood to play and really enjoy without rushing through. ^^

To be honest, Cold Steel does exactly the same thing, as do the rest of the Trails games outside of TC, so that aspect isn't really going to change.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Someone has already posted a "speedrun" complete save, if you just want to start a NG+ carrying over bonding points. I don't know if it'll also carry over data like number of battles fought, which might prevent you from getting 100 battles achievements.

I think you get to choose when starting NG+ what to carry over and what not to, and there's an option to carry over Notes or not. I think leaving it blank means you don't inherit battle info, character notes, and so on, so that should be fine. Even if it doesn't do that, I'd imagine all that stuff can be reset to zero with Cheat Engine if you really need to.

EDIT: Here's a full list of the NG+ options nicked from some Gamefaqs post:

Gamefaqs posted:

Link Lvl / Rush / Burst (0 point)
- inherit link level, can use rush and burst command from the start

Mira / sepith (1 point)
- inherit mira and sepith

Item (1 point)
- inherit various kinds of items (equips, master quartz, quartz, consumables, books), except certain event items

Various Note Info (1 point)
- inherit various Note information (battle, character, recipes, fish, books)

Status (2 points)
- character level, slots, master quartz level

Stage Costume (1 point)

Other Costumes (1 point)

Swimsuit Costume (2 points)

Mira +300,000, sepith x 3000 of each element (2 points)

Bond Action Point MAX (4 points)
- maximum amount of bond action points during free-days

smenj fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 3, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

AG3 posted:

Cliffhanger ending aside (as that's par for the course with this series), I'm not sure how I feel about the game suddenly going PersonaXGundam during the last hour. I guess I'll have to reserve judgement for when C2 comes out on Steam.

On the flip side the cliffhanger ending made left me unsatisfied enough to go and play Trails in the Sky SC which I had bought but never gotten around to playing, so at least something good came out of it.

If you're playing SC you might wanna give a skim of some kind of FC plot summary, assuming it's been a while since you played it, since SC's story starts literally immediately after FC's ends.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I just started playing the first TitS, and I'm surprised it actually seemed pretty charming to be an anime. I'm not far in, on the quest where you find the lost kids. Does the whole arts/quarts/slot system seem more complicated than it actually is, or should I probably go read up on it somewhere?

In addition to what was said above, you'll generally want all your characters to have an Action quartz of some kind on them, though that's hardly a necessity. Also just bear in mind that changing your quartz setup is a good first step if you're struggling at any particular part. It's easy to forget you haven't changed your setup in a while even when there's better stuff available sometimes, and changing your quartz around will usually help you out.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Terper posted:

The default button for Turbo Mode was changed to L3 for whatever reason, so change that.

Just so people know - I saw someone elsewhere mentioning that rebinding to the usual trigger wouldn't work for some reason. I imagine it'll get patched soon enough, though.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

How do I bring up the launcher to make those changes? I’ve already started the game.

Mine's still downloading but it's likely the way it usually works in Steam. Right-click on the game in your library (not on the desktop shortcut!) and there'll be some option like 'Launch Configuration'.

smenj fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 14, 2018

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Terper posted:

It's already back and working properly on R2, so.

Oh, fair enough. Never mind me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, Trails 3rd is definitely among my favourite game endings ever. Dunno what gets the top spot but it's certainly nearby. Worth going back to try the Sky games again if you're willing - especially if you played before turbo mode was introduced.

• Locked thread