Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I haven't played any of these yet, and I'm super-confused on the intended order- are the Cold Steel games sequels to the Trails in the Sky trilogy (meaning I should play those first), or are sky/steel completely unrelated spinoffs by the same studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Really Pants posted:

They're technically sequels but you really don't need to know anything about Trails in the Sky going in.

Will the experience be improved by sequential play? I own all four on PC, and intend on getting around to them all, but the art style of cold steel looks awesome, and I've had an awful lot of trouble getting into the first trails in the sky's slow burn at the start.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

smenj posted:

I'd just say that although you think FC is slow to start, Cold Steel 1 is hardly devoid of pacing problems either. It's quite a bit too long in my opinion, and really drags at times, though it's still a great game overall. All I mean is that if you're hoping to jump into a faster-paced game by going straight for Cold Steel, you won't necessarily get it.

Weirdly enough, I haven't found FC slow yet, so much as I find it overwhelming; thus far there have been a massive number of state changes between each plot beat, to the point that I feel like I can basically run around town and get new content for tons of NPCs that isn't vital to the plot, but which I want to get. So it always turns into a huge-seeming endeavor that requires a certain mood to play and really enjoy without rushing through. ^^

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does this have massive numbers of hidden/missable quests like trails in the sky? I'm still on the field trip at the very beginning, but I'm petrified of missing whole swathes of content if I don't systematically run around talking to everyone.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, I take it the books/hidden quest are both just a matter of mashing X on everyone in town, there's never obvious telegraphing?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Alright, thanks! :)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Out of curiosity, where is the unlisted quest on the first field trip? I went around talking to everyone I could find, and thought maybe it had to do with the family whose daughter goes to Thors, since they gave me some unique dialogue, but all I ultimately found were the story quests, and the side stuff that Sara gave us at the start of each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

astr0man posted:

At the end of day 1 (after you do all the required quests but before you return to the inn), the merchant who's daughter goes to Thors gives you a quest to help run his shop stall.

Ooh so I was close... thank you! I figured I'd missed it by going on with the plot ^^

• Locked thread