Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm almost ready to start Sky the 3rd, so I won't be jumping into this game right away, but I'll be interested in hearing how the mouse/keyboard controls are - most notably for the fishing and swimming minigames.

I've put together a Mini-guide to missables in Chapters 1 through 4. It's not complete because it's actually based only on Some Numbers's ongoing LP.

Justin_Brett posted:

They jacked up the price ten dollars more for Canada :canada:

Kinda, although $8 of that can at least be attributed to the exchange rate difference.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaggitz posted:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3725-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-trophy-guide This is basically the go to guide for 100%. There's an equally comprehensive one for the sequel too.

Thanks. I do know there are other, better guides. I only started putting one together when re-watching some of the LP videos, with the idea of keeping all the missables in order, just for my own personal reference, because it was easier than re-watching the videos.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Someone has already posted a "speedrun" complete save, if you just want to start a NG+ carrying over bonding points. I don't know if it'll also carry over data like number of battles fought, which might prevent you from getting 100 battles achievements.

EDIT:

autoraso posted:

After testing and looking at what actually carries over if you do not pick any other option aside from the Points and costumes, only the interupted arts stat carried over and the file only has 46 interupts and you need 100 for the achievement and the game time carried over which is 25 hours out of 100 hours.

Everything else was reset to zero.

So you can get all the achievements using this save file.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 3, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

They're kind of necessary if you want to hit level 80 for the maximum carry over for CS2.

HOW necessary? Because there's flat-out no way I'm buying the bait.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Instructor Thomas wants me to keep an eye out for Unique dishes. Since the maid Lotte wants me to keep an eye out for Superb dishes, does that mean Thomas wants BAD dishes?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 22, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

I thought he asked for Peculiar dishes? Either way, yeah, he wants the ones the worst cook makes.

Some of which are actually pretty awesome.

Yes, that was it. As should be obvious from my question, I didn't quite understand what he was asking for. My initial impression was that he wanted exotic dishes from the different regions. It was only the maid asking for the best dishes which made me think Thomas might have been asking for the opposite.

Not that it matters much since after talking to nearly everyone through Day 1 of Celdic, I know two recipes and can only make one.

I've noticed certain enemies like Acerbic Tomatrios have their information in red. Does that mean they are rare enemies, or they only appear in groups of different enemies, or is there something else special about them? (Like if they have the hollow stars of their Unbalance vulnerabilities in red, does that mean something?)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 22, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's an image which is both hilarious and terrible at the same time.

Playing on hard, I've now had two TPK's to Zwordars in Chapter 2. I guess the lesson I'm supposed to learn is "Holy gently caress delay the poo poo out of them or you will die".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Not so funny that it happened to me, huh?

No, that's still funny.

Fighting them without Rean in the party is certainly interesting, though. Lots of healing and use of Impede crafts and Speed Down.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Terper posted:

Wait what the hell you could examine the message board outside the classroom all this time??

I've missed so much flavor text :negative:

It seems like it changes only once a chapter, so if you have any save in Trista between returning from a field study to about to leave on the next in each chapter, that's all you need.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 27, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Billzasilver posted:

Machias sleeps with his glasses on, this is the worst game ever.

It gets worse. Emma and Machias SWIM with their glasses on.

da beeper king BABY posted:

got a 3.9x multiplier on a boss and my exp gain capped at 9999, wtf

I got a 3.5x multiplier on the Chapter 3 boss myself. I think it's all the spiders it keeps summoning. Alisa had leveled up in the Chapter 3 semi-final boss seconds earlier and gained an entire level afterwards - and my party was already a couple levels higher than expected at level 31.

Also, gently caress swimming. It took me about a dozen tries to win. On Hard you have basically zero room for error, although bafflingly, I somehow managed to win despite two misses on my sucessful attempt. I guess getting many Greats are required. Just Goods do not cut it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 29, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

:shepicide: And why was there an annoying swimming section right after two boss fights and a billion cutscenes when I just wanted to saaaave? By the time I got a chance to save, my Time Played had gone up by - no kidding - an hour and 20 minutes since the save before the Chapter 3 boss.

I learned that if you hit no buttons at all you can come in third in the swimming race. That's right, Rean putting in no effort is still a better swimmer than Elliot.

On the plus side, Alisa'a VA had some of her best delivered lines in the swimming pool cutscenes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 29, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Early Chapter 4 stuff.

- I've switched up my party members so much that somehow, JUSIS has more XP than Rean, and he sat out one field study, two trips to the old schoolhouse, and half a day of one of the field studies he participated in. That's solely on merit of the slight XP difference between participating in a fight and being in reserve.
- I've also managed to get Rean and Alisa to link level 4 before entering the Old Schoolhouse in Chapter 4, although that was on purpose. I probably won't be able to get them up to level 5 before mid-chapter 6, though.
- Sara really tuned up the combat shell for the Childhood Friend quest in Chapter 4, because on Hard, forget Rean holding back to make the NPC look good, the fight was genuinely difficult. It kept me on my heels pretty well and I needed to use a lot of items, and I drained all of Rean’s EP on buffs and healing. I am really enjoying the challenge of Hard difficulty.
- I complained about the swimming earlier, but Machias was a much less challenging swimming opponent than Sara. I made several screw-ups and still won by an arm-length.

The Seraphic Gate guardian of floor 4 was a pain as expected. I came prepared with a little knowledge though. Not as much as would have been helpful. I brought the Magic Squad of Emma, Elliot, Jusis, Alisa, with Rean and Laura as backup. I hosed up Alisa’s orbment setup, gearing her with +physical stuff for the dungeon and forgetting to give her ANY attack arts save for Golden Sphere. I also forgot to wear anti-confuse gear, so Emma, in the center of the formation spent at least half her time confused. I took the first prick down fairly quickly, but attrition meant that I was spending too many turns healing the confuse and failing to do damage. Emma died once, but I eventually managed to get the fight under control. Laura came in, did one Armor Break for 0 damage, then I swapped her back out immediately.

- I never use the warp points to return to the elevator - I need the sepith masses to buy equipment. I'm getting close to my goal of 25000 2,500 of them. EDIT: I accidentally left an extra zero on. I meant 2,500.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Are the Prankster and Effort quartzes (70% chance for a Peculiar/Superb dish) something which applies to Rean only? And I assume you need to first have someone create those before anyone else can make them.

Some Numbers posted:

This is overkill. You're reaching the point where your slots should mostly be open, so you can start turning your sepith into cash and you'll be getting big chunks of sepith masses from your monster hunts in the remaining chapters.

Also, you shouldn't need to totally kit out your entire team every field study.

Says the guy who started out with 600,000+ mira. Just saying. EDIT: Whoops, I left an extra zero on there. I meant, 2500, not 25,000. That would definitely be overkill. I'm not quite that nuts yet.

I unlocked the last of the slots sometime after returning from the field study, so yeah I'm probably just about at the point of selling off a lot of Sepith. I have been making a few extra Quartz with the unneeded surplus to trade with Micht for better quartz, but I'll probably see if there is new quartz available on the field study.

I'm not totally outfitting my team. I get everyone a new weapon - because I saw in your LP how crappy damage is with out-of-date weapons. Sometimes if I have a decent amount left over a couple pieces of armor, but usually not. I'm also buying books and cooking ingredients (not 99 of each, only up to 25 at most), and maybe an accessory or two.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 31, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tae posted:

If you could, I would really try to find a new game+ file to transfer bonding points, because CS2 triples down on "You can't see everything" the first time around. With way more non-class 7 supports.

And some bonding events require multiple points per resting period.

So I'll have to take my NG+ Cold Steel "perfect" save, transfer it to CS 2, but I'll still need to finish CS2 once and start a NG+ before I can see all the bonding events?

Erpy posted:

There will be scenes where Rean will be silent while other characters do have voices. Like your final bonding event. Certain characters like S. and V. will be silent too.

It's not a huge deal in this case, it's just filling out the full names of some guys initials who we've seen, but I'm about halfway through chapter 5 of 7 (just about to finish the afternoon quests from Day 2 of the Field Study in Legram), so I think I'm fairly far into the game, and those names haven't been mentioned yet. Not trying to be a nag, just an idle thought.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 17, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, just like with Cold Steel, you don't get max Bonding Points on your first playthrough. Worse, there are a couple of sidequests that are literally not available in the game AT ALL in your first playthrough.

Though, if the CS release was any indication, there'll be a finished save within a day or two of the game dropping.

Yes, but the potential sticking points there are, would it be one using a perfect CS 1 carry-over save? AND with the same person I chose for the final bonding event? (Although I suppose it's close enough to the end that they could provide saves for all possibilities). I guess we'll have to see. Oh well, worst case I could just do it all myself.

quote:

It took me a bit to realize what you were referring to here, but you're right, those names haven't been mentioned at the point you're at.

I edited my post to clarify.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

That's actually irrelevant, because when you start a CS2 game, it will ask you if you want to import a CS1 endgame save, so you'll still be able to import YOUR CS1 save.

So, if you have a CS2 completed game save and load it up, the game will first ask you what NG+ bonuses you want to use and then it'll ask you if you want to import a CS1 save (if you have one)

:doh: I've played Second Chapter and The Third. I should know how this works!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

tithin posted:

Any word on TOCS2 release date? I seem to remember December being mooted as a probable release period

They're now talking "early 2018", but that's as much detail as they've given.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Will anyone else be posting here playing CS2 for the first time? I'm unable to jump in on launch day this week, so I'm eager for others' impressions first

I'll be playing for the first time, but probably not until some helpful saint posts a clear file for CS 2 so I can start CS 2 in a NG+ like I did for CS 1.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay if anyone needs saves for Cold Steel 1 PC, here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sd5j4axct8slu1i/Cold_Steel1_PC-saves.zip
EDIT: I could upload it elsewhere if necessary.

quote:

000 - A Clear save to allow one to start a NG+ game for the first time (to start with maximum bonding points.) Originally provided by Craig234.

215 - A save at the start of the Academy festival.

Rean is level 62. Use this if you want to unlock Towa and Sara. You'll need to spend at least 1 ticket on Sara and Towa, but probably do two each to be safe.
You will need to complete the final dungeon again.

What this Rean has:
-All quests and maximum AP
-All fish caught
-All the character profile notes available to this point
-All Red Moon Rose chapters available to this point
-All Recipes available to this point
-Zemurian Ore Shards from Collette
-All library books from the Recommended Reading section
-All four Lionheart medals
-The Thor Master quartz
-All the free DLC items

What this Rean doesn't have:
-All monster entries filled out
-Any of the Carnelia Reprint Series
-The Chevalier Master Quartz
-Any of the paid DLC

233 - A NG+ Save before the afterparty to allow someone to choose who to dance with.
Rean is level 70. Towa and Sara are not available on this file, but everyone else, including Elise/Alfin are.

What this Rean has (As above, plus):
- Zemurian Ore weapons for Rean, Alisa, Laura
- All recipes

242 - a NG+ Clear save for use in CS 1 or CS 2.
Rean is level 70. Alisa was chosen at the dance. #noRegrets.

What this Rean has (As above, plus):
- All character profile notes completed

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just discovered an easily-missable scene (with voice acting, even) in CS1, on 10/30. Just after you finish in Class VII's dorm. You can go into the train station at that time. I'll just finish re-watching the end of CS 1 then dive into CS 2.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
gently caress THE FINAL BOSS OF CS 1. EDIT: Finally beaten again.

Whoever said to use the Quingong[sic] buff and keep it active gives very bad advice. Morning Moon is the only possible way.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 15, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

That was probably me and it's 100% possible and good advice, I literally just did it yesterday.

Like, without the 50% attack buff you don't do anywhere near enough damage and Morning Moon costs way too much CP to use regularly.

Also the 50% speed buff helps because you can occasionally get an extra free turn.

What level were you and what difficulty did you play on?

I was playing on hard, level 70, with the Vermillion MQ equipped for extra HP, and I tried for like 4-5 times in a row to win using the Quininigong[sic] craft and failed every time. It really didn't help that the second stage had brand new dialogue lines as hints for the identical poses (which I swear I never saw at all when I did this fight last month). I then tried once ignoring the buff and only using Morning moon and regular attacks and won the first time.

I used Terper's hex-edited save to start a NG+ carrying over bonding points. I think it probably won't cause problems. Probably. Then I loaded my CS 1 clear save (Alisa ending).

I just played two hours straight of CS 2 up until the point where the game says "okay now go kill some stuff". Because the game hasn't been out 24 hours, I'll spoiler-tag my thoughts as a courtesy, even though it's only the first two hours:
- It's been a whole month? And not only has Rean somehow avoided dying of dehydration about 10 times over, he doesn't even mention being hungry.
- I guess though that him nearly dying from his knight's damage might explain why he lost 30 levels.
- Gosh, doing something pointlessly stupid because you're hot-blooded and angry nearly gets you killed. Who would have thought?
- I sure hope Captain Wallow-pants gets over himself soon.
- ...This chapter already has far too much Elise, and probably too much Alfin as well. Both of those characters are fairly one-note, or at least they give too much emphasis on that particular note. It gets repetitive and tiring. Quickly.
- While Rean's thinking about the end of CS 1, I'll add that I liked how the ending worked on two levels. All of Class VII was willing to risk their lives to protect Rean because after all this time they are very close friends and he's done the same for them as well. There's also a practical side to it as well, in that Valimar might be the best chance of fighting back against the other mechs, so even if Rean was a dick who everyone hated, there's still a reason to protect him there.
- Toval is joining my party? Hell yes! This is fantastic!
- Elise is joining my party? Fffffffffuuuuuuucccccckkkkk.
(And that's where I stopped.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

I will say that as awful as Elise was in CS1, I found her a lot more tolerable in CS2.

Alfin also gets way way better.

I'm legitimately shocked that you won with regular attacks. How did you deal that much damage? How did you not die from only having two heals?

Admittedly, Alfin's scene in the chapel where her mask slipped did a LOT for her character, that one was well done, but it's just that every other scene with her is basically the same.

I won because I dodged or tanked damage which I would otherwise have taken the full force of, and that gave me just barely enough of an edge to win. I was in critical health at the end.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tae posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked by the first optional boss quest after you get access to AP's. I never done hard mode before, main problem is the mole heals for like 8k and I can barely do enough damage to even it out before he heals again (especially if he buffs up defense).

I beat that one not too long ago, on Hard mode as well. Try to have an Overdrive ready, and see about using a 200 CP S-Craft once its health is in the range where it starts self-healing. If the S-Craft doesn't finish it off, follow up with an Overdrive.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't headpat guys, but I want to see if he'd headpat Estelle.

It'd probably go something like...
<--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Nah, just the slightly non-linear ability to travel for once.

Instructor Thomas's disguise was the worst thing and I'm glad he put it on

:colbert: Instructor Thomas's disguise is the best thing.

• Locked thread