Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just trying to open up a discussion on why in the world an adult would play a board game.I really don't get it. You guys are adults, right? I totally get playing checkers and connect 4 when you're a kid without an income, because a 5 dollar cardboard box is all your happiness is worth to your parents. 60 dollars can be a lot for someone without a job, but it is time to grow up and start paying for your entertainment. Sometimes I pay 80 dollars for a game, and then 20 dollars on top of that to pay for a subscription to that same game, and I'm not even talking about cosmetic items and expansion packs. If you're poor, it is completely understandable to play Yahtzee or Go Fish because there isn't much of an investment. If you're an adult, go to gamestop NOW. I can assure you that your return of investment is much greater.

Video games are also for adults because there is a rating system. If I had to rate every single board game I've played I would give them the kiddie game rating EC for Early Childhood. I play a lot of rated M games.

There is a lot of talk about board games involving a lot of strategy and intelligence. For every 1 Monopoly there is about 20 Civilization 5's for me to choose from, and there is a lot more land to own than the same 20 boring places. Did I mention I can kill people in that game?

Clue? Heavy Rain. L.A. Noire. I keep hearing all this talk about Settlers of Catan and I looked it up and there's already a video game made of that.

I know every single tabletop gamers Ace up their wizard sleeves is the board game called Dungeons and Dragons. I'll just leave this here -- its something with a much better story and actual graphics, enjoy : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-special-edition-playstation-4/5357201.p?skuId=5357201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Skyrim is very good at the experience of being a person, who may or may not be a cat, with dragon powers, adventuring in the frozen north province of Tamriel.

It does not do so well at simulating a group of wizards bartering with devils for power, a caravan traveling through the deserts, or a computer composed of skeletons, among others.

Okay, your ignorance is showing. Bartering with devils for power: Ever hear of the Daedra? Mmk moving on. A caravan traveling : SKYRIM OPENS UP ITS EPIC STORY WITH YOU TRAVELING IN A CARAVAN!!! Computer composed of skeletons: Not sure if you're trolling or what, but Skyrim has tons of skeletons and it is available on the computer :doh: Please do not speak on things which you have no knowledge of. If Skyrim wasn't the best selling game of all time I might just assume that you had never even played it.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

LordAba posted:

Skyrim is "go into dungeon, loot until you are board with the game, uninstall" simulator.

Board with the game..? Seems like a Freudian slip on your end. If you mean bored of the game that is probably just because you weren't very good at it. It doesn't hold your hand like Munchkin does or whatever bs you play on your family game night.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Saalkin posted:

Just lol if you don't think Skyrim doesn't hold your hand.

Well, you must be lolling right now then. Enjoy your kiddie games. Let me put it this way for your little brain to understand:
Morrowind = Board Games
Skyrim = Video Games

Now gently caress off.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Blank Construct posted:

what are your thoughts on board games that you can play on the computer, op

I would never play a board game video game. When I want to play a video game I want to play a video game not a board game.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Skyrim does get the "I like this but find it very frustrating, time to spend hundreds of hours on homebrew content that doesn't quite satisfy" part of tabletop RPGs down perfectly.

I'm glad we're in agreement. We're going to be getting along just fine in this thread, Dunmer.

If you get what Dunmer means, then you have experienced the untouchable epicness of The Skyrim Lore that only Bethesda can bring. But noo I'm sure your little pdf file campaign is just as good as the Stormcloak questline by all means play that!! [sarcasm]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
On Friday GameStop on Main was closed for fumigation so I used my iPhone to find the closest gameshop to preorder the new CoD. GPS said Gary's Games or something was my only choice, a pitiful mom and pop store not worth supporting. Went in and the desk wasn't manned. Went behind the curtain and saw Gary playing some loving card game with like 20 other Garys. Just slowly closed the curtain and walked out without saying a word. gently caress you nerds.

• Locked thread