Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

CBJSprague24 posted:

Have any of you ever played Franchise Mode where you don't actually play the games and just make decisions based on simulating games (i.e., you're basically playing EHM or whatever it is/was) and the resulting stats? I get that it totally defeats the point of "playing the video game" but I stopped playing 18 in like May or June and was halfway through a Franchise season which I don't really feel like finishing by doing the playthrough.

I play Franchise like this mostly, I'll actually play a few games a season. NHL17 is the most recent game I have though. All the team morale stuff and scouting stuff is super annoying and it's just a lovely product in general but it's an ok mindless thing to do for a while if you're listening to a podcast or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Full 6v6 games are incredibly satisfying and it sucks they are so rare on Xbox

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL 19 is free with games gold on Xbox this month, and boy howdy after a couple hours I can see why they're giving it away. This is the first one I've played since 16. How can it simultaneously be so similar and yet do much worse?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ThinkTank posted:

NHL 19 is free with games gold on Xbox this month, and boy howdy after a couple hours I can see why they're giving it away. This is the first one I've played since 16. How can it simultaneously be so similar and yet do much worse?

It also went in to the EA Vault earlier than ever before. THREES™ is it's only redeeming quality.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How long does EA keep putting out roster updates? I haven’t played an NHL game in a few years and saw this one free on Xbox so I grabbed it but the last roster update is from April and it doesn’t have Kravtsov or Adam Fox in it and it won’t let me put Kakko OR Hughes on the rangers

Am I supposed to play through the summer with an inaccurate rangers team like some kind of jabroni?????????

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

OldSenileGuy posted:

How long does EA keep putting out roster updates? I haven’t played an NHL game in a few years and saw this one free on Xbox so I grabbed it but the last roster update is from April and it doesn’t have Kravtsov or Adam Fox in it and it won’t let me put Kakko OR Hughes on the rangers

Am I supposed to play through the summer with an inaccurate rangers team like some kind of jabroni?????????

Typically the trade deadline is the last update they'll make in a year unless something major happens.

e: for the rookies, you would have to go into Edit Player and change their "Drafted By" to the Rangers, and maybe make them one year older if that's possible for a player already in the game.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 20, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I played a bit of the chel stuff because game was free on xbox but it looks like you pretty much have to play online with chel outside of the pro/am stuff which was almost entirely locked for me.

I was hoping to either just play AI or maybe do comp stomp with a friend or two, but it doesn't look like you can do that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hockles posted:

e: for the rookies, you would have to go into Edit Player and change their "Drafted By" to the Rangers, and maybe make them one year older if that's possible for a player already in the game.

No good, the “drafted by” and birthdate fields were both grayed out.

Aren’t there nerds out there that have created all the new players already and shared the attributes? I found one spreadsheet that had stats for a few players, but it wasn’t anyone I cared enough about to create.

How the hell does EA not have an online character creator or the ability to share created characters yet?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Aren’t there nerds out there that have created all the new players already and shared the attributes? I found one spreadsheet that had stats for a few players, but it wasn’t anyone I cared enough about to create.

How the hell does EA not have an online character creator or the ability to share created characters yet?

That doesn't sound like a minute iteration on an existing feature

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Why are you playing anything other than THREES™?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

OldSenileGuy posted:

but what does that have to do with funneling every resource into pulling as many microtransaction dollars out of hut as possible

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

quote:

New Mode and Icons in Hockey Ultimate Team™
Hockey Ultimate Team™ introduces a new way to play in Squad Battles, the fan-favorite mode from EA SPORTS™ FIFA that allows you to compete and earn big rewards in offline battles. New opponents are refreshed every day, including weekly Featured Squads assembled by NHL players, hot musical artists, hockey influencers, and superstar athletes from other major sports. Squad Battles introduces a brand new way to compete, earn and collect your dream team as you take on the best teams assembled by the biggest names in sports and entertainment.

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag: fuckin' lol :jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

what the gently caress is a hockey influencer

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am pumped to see what passes for "hot musical artist" in NHL20 world.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Wow. That's an incredibly weak headline feature list. The new animations sound decent and it will be nice to see some difference on the ice from prior years (not that I buy this game, just theoretically). But lol if they posted that after subban got traded.

It also looks like not having NBC anymore is a top 3 feature? I actually liked the NBC package.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Wow. That's an incredibly weak headline feature list. The new animations sound decent and it will be nice to see some difference on the ice from prior years (not that I buy this game, just theoretically). But lol if they posted that after subban got traded.

It also looks like not having NBC anymore is a top 3 feature? I actually liked the NBC package.

The next generation of consoles are due to be released in 2020. NHL 20 and 21 are going to be bare bones roster updates while they focus on making any significant changes for PS5 and the new Xbox.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ThinkTank posted:

The next generation of consoles are due to be released in 2020. NHL 20 and 21 are going to be bare bones roster updates while they focus on making any significant changes for PS5 and the new Xbox.

Hopefully. Last time they were making reasonable updates in 13 and 14 and then 15 came out on ps4/xbone completely unfinished and they never really did catch features up with what previous gen had.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

[cue duke throwing his head back and commencing with uproarious laughter]

It's all about removing features from previous iterations, then installing them back in later as NEW FOR 20XX: FLAPPY JERSEYS AND TRANSLUCENT EARS!!! ALSO THE PUCK GEOMETRY IS FINALLY A PUCK AND NOT A BALL!!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

[cue duke throwing his head back and commencing with uproarious laughter]

It's all about removing features from previous iterations, then installing them back in later as NEW FOR 20XX: FLAPPY JERSEYS AND TRANSLUCENT EARS!!! ALSO THE PUCK GEOMETRY IS FINALLY A PUCK AND NOT A BALL!!!

To clarify I didn't say improvements, just changes. They'll likely strip all the content and narrow it down to its core functionality: bilking 9 year olds out of their mom's money.

I remember wiggle jerseys as much as the next man. I essentially stopped buying this game as a result.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dynamic Playoff Beard Technology™

$90, PLEASE!

E: sorry, just realised my folly. Clearly that'll be dlc, so it'll be 90+29.99

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I will first state I am not loving buying this game because I know I'll play like 2 hours and thats it. But, its funny how loving bad they make NHL 19 look with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFeWWVdYhmc

That said, I will still not buy the game until we get an entirely new engine. Its clearly a resource thing but when FIFA and Madden get moved to the Frostbite engine but the NHL game's underlying bones are not its just that this game isn't the money maker that either of the other two are. I will say it was funny to see they finally added a non "FALL ON MY BACK" save for NHL. Seeing Dubynk just reach behind himself was fun.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

this game is still worth a discounted price (i bought it bundled with FIFA for like $35) if you play eashl regularly (and I have gotten pretty decent at, and thusly, enjoyed ones but there 100% needs to be a way to make a customizable private session with friends) but if you are buying to actually play a hockey video game and not a hockey mmo, you are throwing hard earned legal tender into the garbage

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Apparently the Beta for this is out now - don't know if it's beta-code only or full public yet tho

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Duke Chin posted:

Apparently the Beta for this is out now - don't know if it's beta-code only or full public yet tho

It is out, and it is full public. From all accounts it is Not Good!

Terrible overlay because no more NBC, and they moved the overlay to the bottom.
No more Doc, so they hired a Doc impersonator.

I haven't played it yet, but I expect it to be the same.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
first impression:

looks like they spent most of their time creating new texture swaps for Chel clothing and the navigation for said menus is even worse and more convoluted.

jesus christ there's like 5000 hats now that are all locked, of course, to be randomly doled out via loot bags.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 27, 2019

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
it very clearly said "First to 7" in the corner and the game let the other team win on three (non moneypuck) goals... hah oh EA sports :allears:

Oh it's first to 7 OR time limit. Good job (not) explaining that ea

Also the interaction between Not-Doc and Ray Ray is good but, yeah, he's not the best announcer. Still, it's not the worst.

The lighting and ice textures have been improved so uhh they got that going for them.
Skating doesn't "feel" different but they definitely smoothed out some of the transition animations

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 28, 2019

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Ok so I still have 16 installed on my PS4 and ran into issues with franchise mode in 18 where it still re-signed players I specifically did not offer contracts. It’s just a beta but this doesn’t sound promising. If I don’t care about HUT or Chel and just want to do franchise stuff, is there enough improvement from 16 to 19 to justify the $10 it is on PSN right now?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Schremp Howard posted:

Ok so I still have 16 installed on my PS4 and ran into issues with franchise mode in 18 where it still re-signed players I specifically did not offer contracts. It’s just a beta but this doesn’t sound promising. If I don’t care about HUT or Chel and just want to do franchise stuff, is there enough improvement from 16 to 19 to justify the $10 it is on PSN right now?

The only big difference is Expansion Mode. Everything else is roughly the same. There's no more all-star game, but you can check on a player's morale and have team meetings to try to give a short boost to attributes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Can I leak disparaging information to reporters to try to shame the player into accepting a much lower contract value or demand a trade?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Can I leak disparaging information to reporters to try to shame the player into accepting a much lower contract value or demand a trade?

EHM was the best because if you set a guy to "not needed" and repeatedly criticized him he'd eventually waive his NTC and you could trade him to wherever. I like to thing I made some players cry.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

EHM was the best because if you set a guy to "not needed" and repeatedly criticized him he'd eventually waive his NTC and you could trade him to wherever. I like to thing I made some players cry.

Oh man I want Kessel simulator 2k20!!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

just tried the demo for 20. My first eashl game I heard someone call a teammate a retard, a human being, and a porch monkey all in the same game. He also didn’t mind when we got scored on because the shooter was named donald trump

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

inferis posted:

just tried the demo for 20. My first eashl game I heard someone call a teammate a retard, a human being, and a porch monkey all in the same game. He also didn’t mind when we got scored on because the shooter was named donald trump

I'm sorry about your experience. We have our finest Public Relations manager on it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

inferis posted:

OnlineGamingVoiceLog.txt

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

inferis posted:

Why do you have the mic on game chat?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just watched actual gameplay and its good to see it looks the loving same since a loving decade ago. Now obviously graphics have gotten better but the same loving weird neutral zone and entry zone poo poo where you rplayers get too close and poo poo.

Remarkable really.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I don't know if its mostly because I play Franchise mode vs CPU which has been heavily slidered to make the gameplay slower and more deliberate but the Beta made it feel like I was playing Mites hockey where it was just like zooming through a sea of sticks and hoping for puck pickup bullshit rather than stopping and trying to set up actual plays.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/08/15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nhl-20s-franchise-mode

The updates to franchise mode look.... surprisingly decent.

I don't really have time to play online anymore, so sneaking in a few games of career mode here and there might be a thing this year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

quote:

EA added exempt contracts for junior players under 20 years old signed to NHL deals so they don’t count against the 50-player contract limit. This means more teams have flexibility to make moves no matter what time of the year it is.

Good god finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
lol loving come on. In pure, naked buzzword advertising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAeoWd_ga1w&t=284s

They found a way to shoe-horn in MERELY the phrase "Battle Royale Mode" to try and lure the Fortnite'esque crowd when it literally isn't a "battle royale" in the slightest bit. It's just 3 or 6 person matchmade instances (the ones/threes tourneys)
:jerkbag: