Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

WHAT DID THESE loving IDIOTS DO TO THREES????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone playing this years

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone playing this years
I play almost exclusively offline 1v1 and so far liking it. Revamped puck pick-ups, skating and shooting makes the game flow better and goalies seem to be better in redirecting rebounds.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My expert opinion of NHL 20, as someone mostly interested in the CHEL modes:

Things fixable by tuners:
-Poke checks are obscenely overpowered
-Puck pickups are ridiculous (either like guaranteed if you just lost the puck, or entirely unreliable if you're trying to skate over a loose puck)
-Pass interception is insane (you still cannot easily make a 3 foot pass, but an opponent facing the opposite direction of you will snag that poo poo every time)
-Passing feels bad (short passing and passing to the point remain 2 of the least successful things you can try in the game)
-Hitting feels pretty weak unless you hit them dead center
-AI dominate games both in net and as skaters

Things not fixable by tuners:
-They've cultivated a playerbase of tryhard assholes
-Most CHEL modes have made it so even if you're playing drop-in, you might match against organized clubs, so you cannot escape the tryhard assholes
-What the poo poo did they do to the fun THREES(tm) mode (the tournament idea is whatever, but first to 7/one period in a game with +3 moneypucks is idiotic, and they've ruined drop-in matchmaking)

What this translates to for each CHEL mode:
-EASHL 6s is a total clusterfuck where you're basically encouraged to try skating through the other team yourself because your passes will get picked off, and if you get poke checked you're more likely than the defense to pick up the loose puck and keep going (or you get tripped). There's not enough open ice to really feel like the skating adjustments are worthwhile, it's just whip-quick possession changes until someone gets open for the same glitch goal that's been in since NHL 12 or gets a breakaway where they exploit how bad the goalies are short-side this year.

-EASHL 3s is probably the best CHEL mode this year, because you have space to skate and there aren't 8 sticks stretching out of nowhere to kill every passing attempt. But the bad passing means lots of missed passes and icings and blah. Due to the lower player count, an AI in this mode is way more noticeable as the behemoths they currently are, which also stinks.

-3s Eliminator took all the good things we wanted added this year (Club progression mostly, but they've improved rolling into new games with current players since you can now do that with pubbies you match up with) and then changed the fundamental gameplay and I hate it. Games used to be 3 periods with weird moneypucks and hilarious hits, but now it's first to 7/end of one single period. You don't get enough time to learn players so you can work with them/exploit them, the game is over one way or another by then and then it's back into the menus for more waiting as the game tries to find another team. Also the AI wreck poo poo in this mode, and you're almost guaranteed to have one in your games because it doesn't allow groups of 2 to matchmake with a 3rd random person.

-Ones Eliminator is mostly the same but with pokechecking so effective and hitting not, mostly it's games of danglers hanging outside stick range sweeping back and forth until they can the space for the abovementioned glitch goal or 90% effective deke

Positive CHEL changes:
-The weekly challenges are a decent way of getting people into game modes they normally wouldn't play
-In theory, drop-in matchmaking versus organized clubs helps prevent playerbase split
-Lists are fun

I've hated how NHL plays in HUT/Franchise/etc. for years so my opinion on my limited playtime of those modes is "more of the same, with some quality of life adjustments in the billion menus you deal with."

tldr: It's the least I've enjoyed the core gameplay of an NHL game probably ever, but maybe it'll be tolerable if they tune it properly (:lol: we know who they're getting their feedback from and it ain't your average hockey fan)

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
do the menus in this version load faster than Chris Chelios trying to get back defense in 2011?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Like all NHL releases the menus load the same/worse and they added an extra layer where possible.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

EA has no intention of fixing the try hard rear end in a top hat thing because that's exactly what the audience they want. Try hard assholes get pissy when they lose and spend $75 trying to unlock a gold patty Kane (or whatever I don't play those modes).

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Hey so it looks like you can't play 3s with friends unless you're in a club. And if you do it in Chel then you have to play with CPU assistants instead of random people. Can we get a club started?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Can we get a club started?

I think most of the usual suspects either quit playing this sorry excuse of a game in an already dying franchise or uninstalled it. I know I said gently caress it after Pleads and I tried to have fun with it one night and just uninstalled it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nice 3 month thread resurrection, you dope.

(NHL 20 is the worst game in the franchise, imho)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pleads posted:

Nice 3 month thread resurrection, you dope.

(NHL 20 is the worst game in the franchise, imho)

Worst game in the franchise so far

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I was initially mad that I bought 19 for $10 or something like that over the summer and then the next day EA announced improvements to the franchise mode, but it sounds like a made an alright move.

I wish this would return to PC. otherwise I’ll probably wait for 22 to come out for PS5.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL 19 was free on Xbox sometime last year and I ended up playing it for about 2 hours before I uninstalled it. This series has really gone down the tubes. It needs a complete overhaul in the worst way because it just isn't fun anymore.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Got it for my birthday in early November.
finally loaded it up in mid December
realized "gently caress they really didn't change a goddamn thing except make the only fun parts (threes, ones) way way worse"
uninstalled it like 2 hours later.

:shrug:

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I still play it and enjoy it because I play with a group of buddies and we don't get mad at the cheesers and BS. Just dude time.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

TheJetCityFix posted:

I still play it and enjoy it because I play with a group of buddies and we don't get mad at the cheesers and BS. Just dude time.

We tried this in THREES and they made it so much worse we couldn't do it anymore?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I still play 3's in NHL 19 and consistently get games. I think alot of people avoided 20.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Flaggy posted:

I still play 3's in NHL 19 and consistently get games. I think alot of people avoided 20.

They changed how you play / matchmake in Threes™ & Ones™ in 20 on a fundamental level and it's stupid as hell.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

They changed how you play / matchmake in Threes™ & Ones™ in 20 on a fundamental level and it's stupid as hell.

I am glad I did not get it than, what did they do differently?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I picked this up for $12 through the PS Store so I could try out my "FHM for PS4" GM Mode playthrough I wanted to do. It looks like it makes roster moves for you during the preseason to evaluate performance, which is nice.

Also, I added Phaneuf, McQuaid, Vanek, Pominville, and Kruger (attempted to get Jokinen and Kunitz, but it didn't take) to the roster before I started Franchise thinking they might effectively be on PTOs and, while it auto-signed them all, I was able to flip Phaneuf+2 4ths to Florida for Brett Connolly and McQuaid+2021 3rd for a 2020 2nd and 4th from Toronto to restock the draft picks a bit (AI initiated both trades).

Alright, sure.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can you still sign a handful of guys from Europe and bundle them with 3 or 4 lower round draft picks for Crosby and Malkin?

Also, it's in for 12 bux? That's almost low enough for me to check it out...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cocaine Bear posted:

Can you still sign a handful of guys from Europe and bundle them with 3 or 4 lower round draft picks for Crosby and Malkin?

Also, it's in for 12 bux? That's almost low enough for me to check it out...

Probably. Like I said, I brought a bunch of unsigned guys on because, if I remember right, you could essentially have them on PTOs (they could still be signed as UFAs by other teams if you didn't lock them up) and that's what I was shooting for until I was sent a trade offer for Dion Phaneuf, at which point I realized it put them on contracts at their requested values.

I mean, if you want to trade me a perennial 15-20 goal scorer for old and busted Dion Phaneuf and some picks when I need scoring, who am I to say no? :shrug:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Feelin' the itch to do some trades and team creation, so I was thinking about picking up NHL 20 on Xbox for 12 bucks. But also the next one comes out in a couple months, but there's no way I'm paying full price for it.

I saw that EA Access is only 30 bucks for the year - anyone know if new games are released right away on EA Access, or is there a delay?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

OldSenileGuy posted:

Feelin' the itch to do some trades and team creation, so I was thinking about picking up NHL 20 on Xbox for 12 bucks. But also the next one comes out in a couple months, but there's no way I'm paying full price for it.

I saw that EA Access is only 30 bucks for the year - anyone know if new games are released right away on EA Access, or is there a delay?

Sports games wait until nearly the end of their season to be included with Access. For example, March is usually when NHL becomes "free" with Access. I actually picked this up last week. I bought a month of Access ($5), and got NHL for "free" since it is included now. I don't plan on playing this more than a month anyway, so a $5 "rental" is just fine with me. New games typically have like a 10% discount, so instead of paying $59.99, you would pay $53.99.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat, oh well. I'll probably pick up NHL20 for 12 bucks then and just play it for ~3 months like I always do before dropping it. Wish it had showed up on Games with Gold like 19 did last year, but no such luck. (

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I checked it out. 12 bux is fine for what you get. Boggles my mind how slow and clunky they manage to make every loving menu. I swear it has to be on purpose at this point.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

*taps the signthread title*

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It is not worth $12 and stop giving them your money.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

sellouts posted:

It is not worth $12 and stop giving them your money.

I've been plying 16 for nearly 5 years, so 12 bux is worth it to play 3s and I'll probably play a management mode once real hockey is done. If you bought it in the last couple years already it definitely isn't worth it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I played 19, but as i said it was because I got it for free with Games With Gold. I think the last one before that i actually paid for was 16.

Half of the fun for me is loving around with trades and rosters, so it's not as fun to play the older versions with outdated rosters and missing players. I do wish there was a companion app or website that let you do all the management/menu work on a computer and then just jump in the game to play. With the processing power of the XBox OneX / PS4Pro, I have no idea how these menus are still SOOOOO SLOOOOOWWWWW

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I like to get wasted with my buds and play some hackey after the bar (back when that was a thing, at least) and 16 doesn't have 3s so it's fine but maaaaan they need to do a full redesign so loving bad. The wife played half a game before noticing some names were off or missing and asked if I updated the rosters or something.

Come back 2k, we'll buy you this time, we promise!

E: or was it a licensing issue that killed 2k... Either way, gently caress ea forever.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve only had this game for two days, and I really worry it will give players unrealistic expectations for how often Snoop Dogg enters the broadcast booth in reality.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Anyone get 21 for PS4? I had a great time playing EASHL in NHL 15 but ever since I switched from
xbox there’s been no one else to play NHL with.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgHSF3u6dnU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, the preview video sounded good on PSN...but this franchise has sucked for a while...

And yet I really want an NHL game...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Half of the fun for me is loving around with trades and rosters, so it's not as fun to play the older versions with outdated rosters and missing players. I do wish there was a companion app or website that let you do all the management/menu work on a computer and then just jump in the game to play. With the processing power of the XBox OneX / PS4Pro, I have no idea how these menus are still SOOOOO SLOOOOOWWWWW

This is what I bought NHL 20 for on the cheap and only made it part way through the season before getting bored with it. Maybe I revisit it soon.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

New one is out, I guess. I haven't bought one since 18, is this one less poo poo and not absent of features anyone actually wants?

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 18, 2021

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Every video I've seen thus far is just same ol same ol

I'm only getting it (putting it in a birthday wishlist) cause of kraken inaugural season

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It (finally) has a new engine, so some new canned animations I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh yeah I'm relegated to ps4 so I dunno if they get frostbite vs the ps5'ers