Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
So are we playing this on PS4 or XBONE this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I pretty much only play hut or versus and the only thing I can say is I'm glad they stopped the poke check spam

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This is now a multi-year thread. Updated OP. Fun Fact, I can just slightly tweak it and it is basically the same. Just like this game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man NHL 09 came out a decade ago. That was probably the high water mark for the series. How did it slip so far?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

What time you wanna play tonight?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I haven't picked up an NHL game in 6 or so years. Downloading the beta right now but really the fact that they didn't jump to Frostbite tells you all you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4ODHZLvJ0

Also me watching this video is like watching a time machine. The core/base of the game is identical to basically what it was in 2008.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 28, 2018

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Man all the player graphics (jerseys/gear) look muddy and I went into my first EASHL drop-in and I swear to god it looked like I was playing The Sims

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Doctor Butts posted:

Man all the player graphics (jerseys/gear) look muddy and I went into my first EASHL drop-in and I swear to god it looked like I was playing The Sims

You have to buy 300 HUT packs before you can get the 720p models and texture pack

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Also me watching this video is like watching a time machine. The core/base of the game is identical to basically what it was in 2008.

The lining up for a faceoff animation hasn't been changed since 2007 I think

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Also maybe its just me being a jerk but on PS4 this demo looks not good. Like the textures themselves are crisp but player motion is jerky as it was a decade ago and like, it just looks like an old game. Where as FIFA I think looks very very good and I think it comes down to obviously a bigger team and more money, but also just the fact that the under the hood base of NHL is probably pretty much teh same since it jumped to the 360 and in 07.

However, I will say the whole 'World of CHEL' while not for me is something I understand why people would get into and it could be a lot of fun. I tried that 3 vs 3 mode and i feel like this could be a lot of fun with a couple of friends, it doesn't take as long as a full normal game, and the customization stuff including being able to do French language taunts and stuff is cool. Like, if I was still in high school and had mroe free time I'm sure I'd be all over it. So I like that they're offering that and at least trying to some different stuff even though its all in service of massive loot box poo poo too.

E: And to clarify the greatest NHL game of all time (sorry 16 bit folks) was NHL 2004.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 28, 2018

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

soggybagel posted:

E: And to clarify the greatest NHL game of all time (sorry 16 bit folks) was NHL 2004.

The greatest one was NHL '98, on PC.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

2k7 was actually the best hockey game. It had a dedicated button that sent all your forwards piling into the net so you could fire slappers from the point and score lots of crazy deflection goals.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

2k7 was actually the best hockey game. It had a dedicated button that sent all your forwards piling into the net so you could fire slappers from the point and score lots of crazy deflection goals.

The 2K Series was great. I loved icon passing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I’d play that CHEL mode if it were free... I don’t want to pay for the privilege of being able to then play a F2P game.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

soggybagel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4ODHZLvJ0

The "score!" call by Doc at about the 2:30 minute mark is bad. Sounds like they tried to update the commentary a bit, but it sounds like the tone/volume he might use if it's a game-tying or winning goal, and not a 1st period PP goal. There's also a slight delay. That's my deep analysis.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

I liked that game so much I made an all time roster when I was playing it and painstakingly created all the best guys for each team. It was a fun roster to play with when I had friends over.

EA makes their game so fuckin slow too. Playing it is like watching a bunch of squirt players skating around with everyone being slow and unable to turn. I know you can change the tuners but if you play online you're stuck with the poo poo tuners they like.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Marklar posted:

The "score!" call by Doc at about the 2:30 minute mark is bad. Sounds like they tried to update the commentary a bit, but it sounds like the tone/volume he might use if it's a game-tying or winning goal, and not a 1st period PP goal. There's also a slight delay. That's my deep analysis.

hot take that's just what he sounds like

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

It's me, I'm the guy who actually enjoys Ones...

...probably not enough to pay £60 for it, mind. That seems a lot for a mini-game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Ginette Reno posted:

EA makes their game so fuckin slow too. Playing it is like watching a bunch of squirt players skating around with everyone being slow and unable to turn. I know you can change the tuners but if you play online you're stuck with the poo poo tuners they like.

This, right here, is pretty much I play only be a pro/franchise anymore. EASHL feels like molasses and I always get that awful rubber banding internet lag.

Ones mode and updated threes is kinda fun but it does get a bit annoying that the goalie will play out of his mind on your break aways and then one of the other dudes can just shoot a limp wrist from 30 feet out and it sails right in
:shrug:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Also what in THE gently caress is a Chel???

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Marklar posted:

It's exactly the same as it was in 18.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I used to buy these games just to take teams and rebuild them through franchise mode. I tried to be realistic but the numbers players put up in sims (notably goalies were always horrendous) and being able to immediately stack your team through free agency made it dumb. Every year you could sign guys like Victor Hedman or Evgeni Malkin, along with a slew of 84 overall 23 year olds with max potential.

Do teams actually lock up their good players now? Is it hard to find stars in free agency? Is Henrik Lundqvist putting up an 885 save percentage?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

fartknocker posted:

It's exactly the same as it was in 18.

Ah. Yeah I didn’t play it much, just over a friends. Guess I missed that. How bad.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
y'all are nuts if you think this is the same game, the skating and hitting are light years ahead of where they have been.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Slow, all the players play exactly the same, and it crashes constantly requiring a complete app restart.

3s are okay if a bit stale.

I might be able to overlook all the poo poo for half the asking price but gently caress loot boxes and gently caress ea.

Can we convince Sega to get back into making hockey games?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

JoelJoel posted:

Slow, all the players play exactly the same, and it crashes constantly requiring a complete app restart.

3s are okay if a bit stale.

I might be able to overlook all the poo poo for half the asking price but gently caress loot boxes and gently caress ea.

Can we convince Sega to get back into making hockey games?

I think EA pays an enormous sum for the license than forbids the company from allowing another company to make the game. Also, gently caress loot boxes so I can unlock 3 more goalie sayings I will never use.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Flaggy posted:

I think EA pays an enormous sum for the license than forbids the company from allowing another company to make the game. Also, gently caress loot boxes so I can unlock 3 more goalie sayings I will never use.

Nope. It's just that no one else will make an NHL game.

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/819625884789313536

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Skating movement and some of the physics do feel a lot different. A lot of animations have changed/look more fluid, but a couple of the skating animations look a little overdone.

At least with this tuner, pileups at the blue line can happen with the right kind of hit. There's not much of that whole thing where the one guy falls and the other guy bounces off of him and keeps skating (even less than last year). That other guy will fall more often. And the guy behind him could get caught up too.

It's changed a lot, I think.

You earn unlocks for your loadout fairly quickly, at least in beta Drop-In. These are things like a primary skill, secondary skill, and one trait (maybe I have that backwards). The primary has more weight than the secondary, so this is a bit like skill unlocks back in (16?). Your template determines most of it: you choose from the same ones you did back in 18, but you can modify it not only with those skill/traits, but you can also modify how tall or how much your guy weighs (within a set range depending on the template). When you change height/weight, you'll see how it postively or negatively affects the points in each stat.

I haven't played a club game yet, but if you do anything else you're dumped into the World of CHEL (Chel is basically how you say "HL" fast. As in EASHL or NHL) where you equip your starter bag full of gear so you can sort of tell your guy apart from others on the ice. I don't know if your unlocks carry over to EASHL, but I suspect they do. As you level up in CHEL you get your unlocks/gear bags for more outfits/gloves/I don't even know).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Nope. It's just that no one else will make an NHL game.

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/819625884789313536

Well poo poo.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Okay that's fine but seriously what in THE gently caress is a CHEL?!?

we've still never solved what in the gently caress a The Wild is...

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
This game feels more like 17 than 18 to me, which is good because 17 is far more fun

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Duke Chin posted:

we've still never solved what in the gently caress a The Wild is...

Chel, bro.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Duke Chin posted:

Say the name of the professional league this game is based on, out loud. But only the letters.

Now do it again.

Once more, and think about it this time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ahh yes, The Nachunal Hockey League

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
God I hate hockey marketing

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Duke Chin posted:

God I hate EA

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Duke Chin posted:

Ahh yes, The Nachunal Hockey League

Here:

En-eych-el

Mamma Lucia posted:

God I hate EA

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
The game is...not terrible?
Way too many of us Neighborhood people have EA Access and played a bunch yesterday.

The highs of playing with Bradf0rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIYUbAgwUc

...and the lows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1fmkbr108E

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I gave the game an honest try last night. It still feels like all of the NHLs of the past 4 years. Everything was muscle memory. I'll play out my trial, and when Access runs out, I'll be done.

It's not terrible. It's not broken (yet). But, it's just the same, with a new coat of paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

What are the character options like for the female be a pro (or just in general for character creation)? Are they still down to 1-2 faces only for women?