Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I think there's like... 9-12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hit a girl in Drop-In and got a penalty

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ones is completely new and nothing like previous games. I think skating and such in outdoors threes feels different.

Eashl 6v6 feels exactly the same to me.

I like to play dress up in drop ins

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I like to play dress up in drop ins

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Pumped to play hockey again.

Wasn't a huge fan of '18. Glad to hear some are saying this feels more like '17.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Poke checks are... interesting

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

angry armadillo posted:

Poke checks are... interesting

I hear it's basically back to being the penalty button again. What always bugged me about that was I played hockey for years, I've got a pretty good idea how and when to poke check, but there's always either a delay or my player just goes for their skates instead of the puck. It doesn't really translate quite the same I don't think and I never really quite grasped when to use poke check in video game hockey vs actual hockey. I haven't been actually "good" at video game hockey since probably NHL 94.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
It was easy to use last year

This year it seems if you poke check from behind then you are dead but if you are in front then it’s ok
I’m a FIFA convert so as long as I treat it like a slide tackle, I’m ok
Weirdly stick lift is a lot less risky and it always used to be

I’ve decided to play HUT this year because I’m bad at NHL so I don’t care if I’m not div 1 compared to FIFA... the chemistry is weird, seems to be no penalty for using players out of position as long as you go for synergy

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I really only care about Be A GM, but I imagine there hasn't been enough time to give it a real review. Any initial impressions compared to 16/18

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Schremp Howard posted:

I really only care about Be A GM, but I imagine there hasn't been enough time to give it a real review. Any initial impressions compared to 16/18

I did my yearly assessment to see if it is viable to bring back Goon Be A Pro. (It is. And depending on my availability towards Christmas, I may start it early).

You can start a "classic" Franchise Mode or create a 32nd team (and their AHL affiliate) to be the next Expansion Team.
Scouting seems to be the biggest overhaul. Instead of scouting one area (Russia, USA, OHL, etc) between 1-6 weeks at a time, you now have like 10 scouts for amateurs (given a specific region as their area of focus) and also pro scouts as well. The Pro scouts focus on certain teams in either the AHL or NHL. You can also scout a particular player. This is key, because you now have the option to not know anybody's OVR outside of your team, which is an interesting wrinkle beyond "sign the best OVR player with the best potential" that has been the gameplan for about 15 years.
You can now give players a contract extension if they are in their "contract year" (meaning, they would become a free agent the next year)
Owner mode is back, so you can relocate, set ticket prices, etc. However, even without Owner Mode on, you have the option to change jerseys, colors, seats, and mascots at the end of a season.
Most everything else is the same. Just a slightly new coat of paint.
No more in-season All-Star Game. Trades and Trade Block is just about the same.
Attributes and potential is the same. The draft is the same.

tl:dr - if you liked it in the past, you should like this one too.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Hockles posted:

tl:dr - if you liked it in the past, you should like this one too.
I liked the ones in the past. I'll like this one too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Good news everyone! Make a Wish kids are back in the game!

Henry Ecker, C (PLY), 99 OVR

e: All attributes 99, durability at 70.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 19, 2018

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Hockles posted:

e: All attributes 99, durability at 70.

Not here for a long time, just a good time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So I've tried to get into HUT this year and while its been interesting (my record is currently 0-6-1) I want to get the mode out of every part of it. Does anyone have a lot of experience with the mode who knows whats going on? I havent spent real money in the mode, I've mostly been doing challenges to earn coins and then buying the players I want from the auction house, but now theres a team of the week thing and I have no idea what thats about or what to do with it.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

I'm really enjoying Ones mode. Quick games, and they are usually entertaining and close. My go to mode so far.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Enforcer D with Tight Turns, First Step, and Backhand Master is pretty solid in Ones

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the game is...good?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Empress Brosephine posted:

So the game is...good?

Eh I don’t know if I’d go that far. The Ones/Threes modes are entertaining me for now, otherwise it’s the same game they’ve been pumping out for years

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

HanabaL03 posted:

I'm really enjoying Ones mode. Quick games, and they are usually entertaining and close. My go to mode so far.

I really like ones, except when the goalie gives up easy shots from across the ice.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Empress Brosephine posted:

So the game is...good?

NHL Threes is a nice mix of arcadey hockey with the engine that has been established. It's literally the mode we (our EASHL team) have accidentally been playing for the past 4-5 years.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
World of CHEL owns and i'm having a ton of fun with it even if I don't play any other mode.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

NHL Threes is a nice mix of arcadey hockey with the engine that has been established. It's literally the mode we (our EASHL team) have accidentally been playing for the past 4-5 years.

Accidentally?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Flaggy posted:

I really like ones, except when the goalie gives up easy shots from across the ice.

This is really annoying, otherwise this mode is a lot of fun. Watch two opponents go into the sharp corners and hitting both before they get the puck is great.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I haven't played an NHL game since 16 or maybe even 15 but I'm getting that itch again. Worth it? I mostly liked to play online versus but some of that EASHL stuff where everyone was actually on an even playing field sounded cool.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I haven't played an NHL game since 16 or maybe even 15 but I'm getting that itch again. Worth it? I mostly liked to play online versus but some of that EASHL stuff where everyone was actually on an even playing field sounded cool.

I hate to admit it because EA, but this year its halfway decent.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Pleads posted:

Enforcer D with Tight Turns, First Step, and Backhand Master is pretty solid in Ones

Switched to this load out and i'm loving it.

Thanks.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
How's the expansion mode?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's as detailed as you can get with all the other modes. You create a team and their AHL affiliate using Create a Team, and can reorganize the league into 4 divisions of 8 teams. Then you begin the expansion draft using what I assume is the real rules and regulations of an expansion draft, picking one player from each team. The only unrealistic thing is that it moves you into the NHL entry draft, but it uses the 2018-19 draft class for the 2018 draft. Meaning Dahlin is on Buffalo already and all the rest of the picks from the real life NHL 2018 are on their appropriate teams and you are doing another 2018 draft with a second class of players.

Everything after that is the same Franchise/Owners Mode that you would normally play.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Is there a goon EASHL team?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
lol EASHL.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Is there a goon EASHL team?

Most people go for playmakers and snipers.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

inferis posted:

Most people go for playmakers and snipers.

lol, wrong move
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltLm1dE6BZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RGVRlskbGs

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Proud of y'all for still hitting the gently caress out of anyone that moves and also anyone who stands still

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Neodoomium posted:

Proud of y'all for still hitting the gently caress out of anyone that moves and also anyone who stands still

You're alive!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Why are you guys still playing these games

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Just popping in to say: I've had many issues with this series in the past, but I bought this new one on sale and am having a terrific time in drop in CHEL (EASHL). It's not HUT, so it isn't hobbled by the stupid grind. You play for fun. You get hockey bags once in a while that make you look a bit different, but you can't buy them. And the gameplay itself is deep enough to allow for a lot of different strategies. Games I've played have been pretty hard fought. The biggest blowouts were the two times I played goalie (won 5-0 the first time, lost 11-1 the second time). Now I play D-man and enjoy trying to not get slashing penalties. Good stuff.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Have any of you ever played Franchise Mode where you don't actually play the games and just make decisions based on simulating games (i.e., you're basically playing EHM or whatever it is/was) and the resulting stats? I get that it totally defeats the point of "playing the video game" but I stopped playing 18 in like May or June and was halfway through a Franchise season which I don't really feel like finishing by doing the playthrough.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 23, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CBJSprague24 posted:

Have any of you ever played Franchise Mode where you don't actually play the games and just make decisions based on simulating games (i.e., you're basically playing EHM or whatever it is/was) and the resulting stats? I get that it totally defeats the point of "playing the video game" but I stopped playing 18 in like May or June and was halfway through a Franchise season which I don't really feel like finishing by doing the playthrough.

That is how I play Franchise Mode. I did a test run of my BAP when this came out, it's more or less the same that it always has been. Except now I can basically mute scouting report notifications.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The only sports game I can consistently get through the season is Madden (and even then I’m still just playing 2004) and NCAA Football 14. There’s no way I can do an 82 game season for other sports, so with hockey I usually sim through the regular season and make adjustments as I progress and play the playoff games. I’ve done that with the last basketball game I bought too (I think it’s 2k9?) and enjoyed myself/felt like I had realistic stats.

Somehow I played through a full 162 game season of MVP baseball 2005 when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOgWa7Ykg9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdaMMMilFpI

Threes™ is the only mode to play.