Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
No frostbite no purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The thing I hate most about sports video games is how Ultimate Team has taken over. I honestly prefer 1 vs 1 with the regular team rosters and I realize it exists but its been so de-emphasized. Like I prefer just competing with the real teams not ones where I have to become a fake stock broker to deal with rosters.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I haven't picked up an NHL game in 6 or so years. Downloading the beta right now but really the fact that they didn't jump to Frostbite tells you all you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X4ODHZLvJ0

Also me watching this video is like watching a time machine. The core/base of the game is identical to basically what it was in 2008.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 28, 2018

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also maybe its just me being a jerk but on PS4 this demo looks not good. Like the textures themselves are crisp but player motion is jerky as it was a decade ago and like, it just looks like an old game. Where as FIFA I think looks very very good and I think it comes down to obviously a bigger team and more money, but also just the fact that the under the hood base of NHL is probably pretty much teh same since it jumped to the 360 and in 07.

However, I will say the whole 'World of CHEL' while not for me is something I understand why people would get into and it could be a lot of fun. I tried that 3 vs 3 mode and i feel like this could be a lot of fun with a couple of friends, it doesn't take as long as a full normal game, and the customization stuff including being able to do French language taunts and stuff is cool. Like, if I was still in high school and had mroe free time I'm sure I'd be all over it. So I like that they're offering that and at least trying to some different stuff even though its all in service of massive loot box poo poo too.

E: And to clarify the greatest NHL game of all time (sorry 16 bit folks) was NHL 2004.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 28, 2018

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I will first state I am not loving buying this game because I know I'll play like 2 hours and thats it. But, its funny how loving bad they make NHL 19 look with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFeWWVdYhmc

That said, I will still not buy the game until we get an entirely new engine. Its clearly a resource thing but when FIFA and Madden get moved to the Frostbite engine but the NHL game's underlying bones are not its just that this game isn't the money maker that either of the other two are. I will say it was funny to see they finally added a non "FALL ON MY BACK" save for NHL. Seeing Dubynk just reach behind himself was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just watched actual gameplay and its good to see it looks the loving same since a loving decade ago. Now obviously graphics have gotten better but the same loving weird neutral zone and entry zone poo poo where you rplayers get too close and poo poo.

Remarkable really.