Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. So I finally got around to trying Versus with this and you can only rank up 1v1 now. Fuckin' lol. For years I've been playing this with my brothers when they're around during vacation and poo poo and we always had a blast climbing the ladder in it. But I can't even do that any more because now it's 1v1 or you can't even play.

It's not like playing 2 or 3v1 was even an advantage either because the AI defends better than a player ever could and if you know how to abuse that (like switching off while forechecking so the comp initiates pins, etc) then one good player always had an advantage against even a good 2 or 3 stack.

EA is the worst man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shortspecialbus posted:

AI may be better at defense, but even when I played with my friend who barely played video game hockey but played hockey on the real-life same team as me, we'd rack up goals like no other because our offensive positioning was just 10x better than the AI on offense. I would say so much so that it doesn't even offset the potentially better defensive AI. I'd also say it's less "better AI" and more "better at stupid nuanced positioning that's hard to do with clumsy controls" and "better at vacuuming people in to be pinned at boards" both of which only get you so far against offensive players with competent positioning.

Still dumb though.

:agreed:

Oh we'd win a ton of games too for the same reasons, but the minute we came up against a single guy who knew how to exploit things like what the cheap goals are and how to use the comp on d the games would be much tighter if not in that player's favor even.

I don't know why they made this change but if they thought multi teams were a problem they should have just made a separate ladder that was 2v2 3v3 etc.

Oh well, still ESHL I guess. Versus was like half the reason I bought these games though so I'm not even sure if I'm gonna get the next one now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't played it at all really since getting it. My interest is a bit sapped with the Versus poo poo I went over above. Maybe I'll play some ESHL here and there if I get bored.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played NHL 18 like three times and that's it.

Is this new one gonna be really bad? As if I have to ask

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

2k7 was actually the best hockey game. It had a dedicated button that sent all your forwards piling into the net so you could fire slappers from the point and score lots of crazy deflection goals.

I liked that game so much I made an all time roster when I was playing it and painstakingly created all the best guys for each team. It was a fun roster to play with when I had friends over.

EA makes their game so fuckin slow too. Playing it is like watching a bunch of squirt players skating around with everyone being slow and unable to turn. I know you can change the tuners but if you play online you're stuck with the poo poo tuners they like.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
this new nhl sucks dick. nerfed hitting, sluggish skating. probably the worst entry in years

maybe they'll release tuners to fix it but as is i can't stand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i love that this series has become such utter dogshit that we've consolidated into a single thread and don't even move a full page for an entire year's release

I enjoyed last years alright but this years has been such utter dog poo poo that I played it like three times and haven't touched it since.