Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man NHL 09 came out a decade ago. That was probably the high water mark for the series. How did it slip so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Also me watching this video is like watching a time machine. The core/base of the game is identical to basically what it was in 2008.

The lining up for a faceoff animation hasn't been changed since 2007 I think

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

2k7 was actually the best hockey game. It had a dedicated button that sent all your forwards piling into the net so you could fire slappers from the point and score lots of crazy deflection goals.

The 2K Series was great. I loved icon passing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL 19 is free with games gold on Xbox this month, and boy howdy after a couple hours I can see why they're giving it away. This is the first one I've played since 16. How can it simultaneously be so similar and yet do much worse?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am pumped to see what passes for "hot musical artist" in NHL20 world.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Wow. That's an incredibly weak headline feature list. The new animations sound decent and it will be nice to see some difference on the ice from prior years (not that I buy this game, just theoretically). But lol if they posted that after subban got traded.

It also looks like not having NBC anymore is a top 3 feature? I actually liked the NBC package.

The next generation of consoles are due to be released in 2020. NHL 20 and 21 are going to be bare bones roster updates while they focus on making any significant changes for PS5 and the new Xbox.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

[cue duke throwing his head back and commencing with uproarious laughter]

It's all about removing features from previous iterations, then installing them back in later as NEW FOR 20XX: FLAPPY JERSEYS AND TRANSLUCENT EARS!!! ALSO THE PUCK GEOMETRY IS FINALLY A PUCK AND NOT A BALL!!!

To clarify I didn't say improvements, just changes. They'll likely strip all the content and narrow it down to its core functionality: bilking 9 year olds out of their mom's money.

I remember wiggle jerseys as much as the next man. I essentially stopped buying this game as a result.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Can I leak disparaging information to reporters to try to shame the player into accepting a much lower contract value or demand a trade?

EHM was the best because if you set a guy to "not needed" and repeatedly criticized him he'd eventually waive his NTC and you could trade him to wherever. I like to thing I made some players cry.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

EA has no intention of fixing the try hard rear end in a top hat thing because that's exactly what the audience they want. Try hard assholes get pissy when they lose and spend $75 trying to unlock a gold patty Kane (or whatever I don't play those modes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL 19 was free on Xbox sometime last year and I ended up playing it for about 2 hours before I uninstalled it. This series has really gone down the tubes. It needs a complete overhaul in the worst way because it just isn't fun anymore.