Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

NHL 19 Edition
'Closed' Beta: Now
Release Date: September 14th (or 3 days early with Early Access)

It's the same as NHL 18 except for:

NHL Ones -- Arcade 1v1v1 Mode -- Pond Hockey, with checking, and a goalie
Loot bags.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

triplexpac posted:

Oh man who's hype for some NHL 18 this week?? Let's go!!!

Also, you're a month early

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Volkerball posted:

Did they ever fix the rookie draft?

Fix how?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah, with my comprehensive work doing my Goon Be A Pro again, I noticed that you can find generational talent in the draft. There is a game-generated player that grew up to be a 96OVR Center that is consistently in the Top 5/10 of stats and makes the All-Star Game yearly. You have the ability to scout the regions (OHL/QMJHL/Russia/etc) like you used to, and it gives the projected draft position (Top 5, Top 10, 1st Round, etc) and it is a pretty good indicator on how they are going to perform in their career. I just created some abominations to traditional attributes, so my created goons get skewed stats, like 49 goals and 0 assists in a season by a defenseman.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you're an idiot that likes dumb bad things, early access has started.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

See topic title.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

aunt jemima posted:

Don't buy this game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Loot crate

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

aunt jemima posted:

NHL 16 17 18 19 -- Different Year, Same Game

if only thread titles had bbCode

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't even think it's worth making a new thread for next year.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

NHL 19 Beta is out today.

Loot crates.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

3 Ones games trip report:

The mode is a fresh idea, I'll give them that. It's of course designed solely to be a vessel for loot boxes.
It was pretty funny that the first game was 3 people wearing literally the exact same default clothing. The only difference was the marker above our head.
The goalie AI was the same, and there were some goals that are not humanly possible that of course went in. The way the body contorted to "wind up" the shot wouldn't be able to generate any force to shoot, but it went bar-down anyway
Recently used/Custom colors are now color swatches, instead of divided up on a pie graph

The game feels basically the same. Maybe the weight of players has been made more realistic. It took forever for my guy to get back up if he got knocked over by a check.

Also, there was a tuner update when I logged on. Fun.

e: Oh yeah, there are audio clips for smacktalk. When you score a goal or make a big check.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 27, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I was just reminded that this is the 10th anniversary of EASHL. Happy 10 years, idiots!

rip OG Killdozers

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

If you buy this game or even install the beta you are dumb and I hate you.

Let the franchise die. Maybe something better will rise from the ashes.

What time you wanna play tonight?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This is now a multi-year thread. Updated OP. Fun Fact, I can just slightly tweak it and it is basically the same. Just like this game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Duke Chin posted:

Okay that's fine but seriously what in THE gently caress is a CHEL?!?

Say the name of the professional league this game is based on, out loud. But only the letters.

Now do it again.

Once more, and think about it this time.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I gave the game an honest try last night. It still feels like all of the NHLs of the past 4 years. Everything was muscle memory. I'll play out my trial, and when Access runs out, I'll be done.

It's not terrible. It's not broken (yet). But, it's just the same, with a new coat of paint.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Schremp Howard posted:

I really only care about Be A GM, but I imagine there hasn't been enough time to give it a real review. Any initial impressions compared to 16/18

I did my yearly assessment to see if it is viable to bring back Goon Be A Pro. (It is. And depending on my availability towards Christmas, I may start it early).

You can start a "classic" Franchise Mode or create a 32nd team (and their AHL affiliate) to be the next Expansion Team.
Scouting seems to be the biggest overhaul. Instead of scouting one area (Russia, USA, OHL, etc) between 1-6 weeks at a time, you now have like 10 scouts for amateurs (given a specific region as their area of focus) and also pro scouts as well. The Pro scouts focus on certain teams in either the AHL or NHL. You can also scout a particular player. This is key, because you now have the option to not know anybody's OVR outside of your team, which is an interesting wrinkle beyond "sign the best OVR player with the best potential" that has been the gameplan for about 15 years.
You can now give players a contract extension if they are in their "contract year" (meaning, they would become a free agent the next year)
Owner mode is back, so you can relocate, set ticket prices, etc. However, even without Owner Mode on, you have the option to change jerseys, colors, seats, and mascots at the end of a season.
Most everything else is the same. Just a slightly new coat of paint.
No more in-season All-Star Game. Trades and Trade Block is just about the same.
Attributes and potential is the same. The draft is the same.

tl:dr - if you liked it in the past, you should like this one too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Good news everyone! Make a Wish kids are back in the game!

Henry Ecker, C (PLY), 99 OVR

e: All attributes 99, durability at 70.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 19, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Empress Brosephine posted:

So the game is...good?

NHL Threes is a nice mix of arcadey hockey with the engine that has been established. It's literally the mode we (our EASHL team) have accidentally been playing for the past 4-5 years.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's as detailed as you can get with all the other modes. You create a team and their AHL affiliate using Create a Team, and can reorganize the league into 4 divisions of 8 teams. Then you begin the expansion draft using what I assume is the real rules and regulations of an expansion draft, picking one player from each team. The only unrealistic thing is that it moves you into the NHL entry draft, but it uses the 2018-19 draft class for the 2018 draft. Meaning Dahlin is on Buffalo already and all the rest of the picks from the real life NHL 2018 are on their appropriate teams and you are doing another 2018 draft with a second class of players.

Everything after that is the same Franchise/Owners Mode that you would normally play.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Neodoomium posted:

Proud of y'all for still hitting the gently caress out of anyone that moves and also anyone who stands still

You're alive!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CBJSprague24 posted:

Have any of you ever played Franchise Mode where you don't actually play the games and just make decisions based on simulating games (i.e., you're basically playing EHM or whatever it is/was) and the resulting stats? I get that it totally defeats the point of "playing the video game" but I stopped playing 18 in like May or June and was halfway through a Franchise season which I don't really feel like finishing by doing the playthrough.

That is how I play Franchise Mode. I did a test run of my BAP when this came out, it's more or less the same that it always has been. Except now I can basically mute scouting report notifications.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

OldSenileGuy posted:

How long does EA keep putting out roster updates? I haven’t played an NHL game in a few years and saw this one free on Xbox so I grabbed it but the last roster update is from April and it doesn’t have Kravtsov or Adam Fox in it and it won’t let me put Kakko OR Hughes on the rangers

Am I supposed to play through the summer with an inaccurate rangers team like some kind of jabroni?????????

Typically the trade deadline is the last update they'll make in a year unless something major happens.

e: for the rookies, you would have to go into Edit Player and change their "Drafted By" to the Rangers, and maybe make them one year older if that's possible for a player already in the game.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Duke Chin posted:

Apparently the Beta for this is out now - don't know if it's beta-code only or full public yet tho

It is out, and it is full public. From all accounts it is Not Good!

Terrible overlay because no more NBC, and they moved the overlay to the bottom.
No more Doc, so they hired a Doc impersonator.

I haven't played it yet, but I expect it to be the same.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Schremp Howard posted:

Ok so I still have 16 installed on my PS4 and ran into issues with franchise mode in 18 where it still re-signed players I specifically did not offer contracts. It’s just a beta but this doesn’t sound promising. If I don’t care about HUT or Chel and just want to do franchise stuff, is there enough improvement from 16 to 19 to justify the $10 it is on PSN right now?

The only big difference is Expansion Mode. Everything else is roughly the same. There's no more all-star game, but you can check on a player's morale and have team meetings to try to give a short boost to attributes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

inferis posted:

just tried the demo for 20. My first eashl game I heard someone call a teammate a retard, a human being, and a porch monkey all in the same game. He also didn’t mind when we got scored on because the shooter was named donald trump

I'm sorry about your experience. We have our finest Public Relations manager on it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

OldSenileGuy posted:

Feelin' the itch to do some trades and team creation, so I was thinking about picking up NHL 20 on Xbox for 12 bucks. But also the next one comes out in a couple months, but there's no way I'm paying full price for it.

I saw that EA Access is only 30 bucks for the year - anyone know if new games are released right away on EA Access, or is there a delay?

Sports games wait until nearly the end of their season to be included with Access. For example, March is usually when NHL becomes "free" with Access. I actually picked this up last week. I bought a month of Access ($5), and got NHL for "free" since it is included now. I don't plan on playing this more than a month anyway, so a $5 "rental" is just fine with me. New games typically have like a 10% discount, so instead of paying $59.99, you would pay $53.99.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgHSF3u6dnU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It (finally) has a new engine, so some new canned animations I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This is probably the most apt review of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaV72g-t9-o