Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Guys, I'm scared. Franchise Mode featuring mid-season contract extensions and "Franchise 32" mode, complete with expansion draft and create-your-own AHL affiliate, actually sounds fun.

I mean, we still need ATOs and PTOs so we can sign and release depth guys in the minors as needed, but I'm actually excited about trying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ooh! Does this game still have the "the puck is at my feet but I c...I can't figure out how to put it on my stick, please feel free to take it from me, opposing player!" mode?

Kragger99 posted:

Pick it up at Xmas for 50% off (or more), or wait until next year.

Yeah, I'm gonna see if I can grab it for $30 like I did NHL 16 at Walmart on Black Friday, then wait for a promotion at GameStop and save another $5-10 because I didn't start playing the game until just before Christmas.

I'd just gotten my PS4 that year and think I got $180 worth of games (the three games I wanted; NHL, GTA V, and Madden) for $90. :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is this going on sale anywhere noteworthy for Black Friday? I need to GM an NHL team to glory again and then maybe create the 32nd franchise because that sounds strangely fun.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jack_tripper posted:

it's $30 on the PS store right now if you have PS plus and will probably be the same at amazon etc this week

Oh nice. I literally just re-upped with PS+ because my subscription expired earlier this month and I knew there'd be deals around Black Friday (one year subs are $39.99 right now on Amazon :eng101:). I have a Best Buy gift card to use but may break down and save that for something else.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I set up the 31st AHL team in the Franchise customization mode (hope the Blues prospects like Dayton, OH, because the Bombers are back :getin:), but it doesn't show up sometimes when I go to start a new Franchise (I did a dummy one just to play around with the features before I went on vacation) even though the game seems to know the team is there in some capacity. Is there a trick to it not reverting to the St Louis Notes?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

EA went to the effort to get a recording of the organ and "Let's Go Hawks" chant at United Center for a faceoff but can't get a simple "Let's Go Blue Jackets" chant right. :iiam:

I'm playing Franchise Mode as the CBJ but I almost want to go back and play as Vegas to see what I can do with the actual roster, plus a few free agent signings. AI VGK signed RJ Umberger to a two-way deal and gave Jarome Iginla a home.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jack_tripper posted:

considering you can start your franchise before the expansion draft I really want to do a vegas "win this year" run but haven't gotten around to it yet

I just realized this game may have a little longer shelf life than any other NHL game because there's only one first season for Vegas, so no matter if you go with the actual roster or do your own expansion draft, it would still be somewhat accurate in terms of rosters.

I'm probably going to play at least one season as Vegas once I get bored with the Columbus dynasty, with some creative liberties taken.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Florida offered me (CBJ) a 3rd round pick in exchange for a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and an AHL defenseman.

What the hell even is that trade? It's so stupid, I had to read it two or three times to understand what was going on. :psyduck:

E- and I countered with the same deal but with Florida sending back Jared McCann also and got the pissy reply. :psyboom:

And I know somebody asked in one of these threads, but EA Vegas is third in the Pacific 32 games in with 37 points.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 7, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Have any of you ever played Franchise Mode where you don't actually play the games and just make decisions based on simulating games (i.e., you're basically playing EHM or whatever it is/was) and the resulting stats? I get that it totally defeats the point of "playing the video game" but I stopped playing 18 in like May or June and was halfway through a Franchise season which I don't really feel like finishing by doing the playthrough.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 23, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I picked this up for $12 through the PS Store so I could try out my "FHM for PS4" GM Mode playthrough I wanted to do. It looks like it makes roster moves for you during the preseason to evaluate performance, which is nice.

Also, I added Phaneuf, McQuaid, Vanek, Pominville, and Kruger (attempted to get Jokinen and Kunitz, but it didn't take) to the roster before I started Franchise thinking they might effectively be on PTOs and, while it auto-signed them all, I was able to flip Phaneuf+2 4ths to Florida for Brett Connolly and McQuaid+2021 3rd for a 2020 2nd and 4th from Toronto to restock the draft picks a bit (AI initiated both trades).

Alright, sure.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

Can you still sign a handful of guys from Europe and bundle them with 3 or 4 lower round draft picks for Crosby and Malkin?

Also, it's in for 12 bux? That's almost low enough for me to check it out...

Probably. Like I said, I brought a bunch of unsigned guys on because, if I remember right, you could essentially have them on PTOs (they could still be signed as UFAs by other teams if you didn't lock them up) and that's what I was shooting for until I was sent a trade offer for Dion Phaneuf, at which point I realized it put them on contracts at their requested values.

I mean, if you want to trade me a perennial 15-20 goal scorer for old and busted Dion Phaneuf and some picks when I need scoring, who am I to say no? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Half of the fun for me is loving around with trades and rosters, so it's not as fun to play the older versions with outdated rosters and missing players. I do wish there was a companion app or website that let you do all the management/menu work on a computer and then just jump in the game to play. With the processing power of the XBox OneX / PS4Pro, I have no idea how these menus are still SOOOOO SLOOOOOWWWWW

This is what I bought NHL 20 for on the cheap and only made it part way through the season before getting bored with it. Maybe I revisit it soon.