Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is it true that the digital version unlocks fully next Tuesday, but the physical disc version isn't available until next Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
BAP seems to be pretty much identical to last year, which is disappointing, though the color customization for skate laces/tape doesn't seem to be working yet (probably a bug). I am loving the challenges in HUT though. That's a great addition. Haven't tried Threes yet, but looking forward to it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm having fun with it. HUT is improved significantly for me with the challenges (I only ever play it offline as I suck). I like the advanced deke training sessions, and tried threes last night. It's a pretty good addition, though I'm not sure how much depth it'll have.
Just with BAP was improved some, as that's where I spend most of my time.
But for anyone on a budget, if you have no interest in Threes, or the Las Vegas Knights, I can see how this is a skip year, as those aren't enough to warrant the high price range.
Pick it up at Xmas for 50% off (or more), or wait until next year.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

I skipped '17 so I'm trying out Be A Pro in '18. What I'm not having any clue how to do is play defense as a sniper center. I know what I would do for defense in real hockey, but I have no idea how to be effective in game. Instead of doing what I think I should be doing, I'll cover the person it tells me to cover, because if I don't I'll take huge exp penalties for not covering who the game wants. Sometimes I am covering that person and all of a sudden the arrow will change and there will be a goal in the same instant, so there's just really no way to win that scenario.

However, even with that said, I don't know what I'm supposed to do control-wise to actually cover someone. My skater in the CHL isn't nearly agile enough to do anything, and I skate significantly better in real life than my stupid game skater does, so basically the opposing players just wander around me, or they'll wander just out of my "area" which I get penalized if I leave.

So, my question is 1.) as a small sniper, how the hell do I effectively cover the CPU in the defensive zone? and 2.) Should I just flat out ignore what the stupid arrows are telling me and cover who I think I should cover? I'm coming solely from a "I want xp" angle here, as I can generally win the games regardless of playing effective defense, and my +/- is stupidly high. I still am curious how to actually play effective defense though because passes just seem to phase through me even if I was in position, or the skater will just inch past me so I'm out of position and my skater takes super long to get in position.

I'm fine at offense, it's just defense in this game that I have no idea what I should be doing to satisfy BAP's weird desires.

Yeah, I was struggling with this as well. As a winger, I'm provided a zone I'm supposed to cover. If I do the crouch block (L1 I think?) in that zone, and block a passing lane, I'll get exp, so I often do that. I then have to rely on my teams AI to prevent a goal, which it seldom does.
If you're covering the slot, you can press the X button to tie up the player, but I'm not really used to that yet, and it seems as soon as they get free they often are open to score a goal.

Most of my games have me doing the crouch block in front of the point man, to get exp, but I'm not sure if that's the same for a center position. Try the tie up function and see if that's effective.

Wait until you lose exp for not changing off in time, and/or also losing exp when changing off in a bad spot. That one really pisses me off. The coach (game) is telling me to change, then penalizes me for it (yes, I know I shouldn't change when were in a bad spot - ex. the other team has possession in my zone, or is on the rush), but more often than not, it's a "bad spot".