Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It actually turned out to be a pretty decent service, especially if you like their sports games or the vault games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lowtax owes me $10 back because I paid it before I saw ur posting

:comeonandslamandwelcometojapan:

This is a bad NHL game and 10 hours on EA Access is 9:15 more than I needed.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This is the worst NHL game in the franchise.

e: This franchise will die in 2 years.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jack_tripper posted:

considering you can start your franchise before the expansion draft I really want to do a vegas "win this year" run but haven't gotten around to it yet

Look forward to your update in which you fail to go 25-9-2 in your first 36 games.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Just in time for this pile of trash to be thrown in the garbage heap of the EA Access Vault.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Convenient double-post: This pile of trash is now in the garbage heap of the EA Access Vault.

It's bad. It doesn't feel like hockey.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It really is pretty unbelievable how little attention the NHL franchise has received. They did an engine "overhaul" (it was primarily graphics aka lipstick on a pig, still no Frostbite) like, 3+ years ago? When the new consoles came out? Even before that, they were in a 2-3 year rut, and it's been the same poo poo every year. Improved skating (it isn't), better puck pick ups (they aren't), and one gimmick mode that sucks.

All the talent has been siphoned off (for UFC and NBA of all things) and this thing just lumbers on, barely surviving on the sales of desperate hockey fans and the far more lucrative HUT system.

I guess what I'm saying is Rammer should be getting inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year alongside Gary Bettman.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If you buy this game or even install the beta you are dumb and I hate you.

Let the franchise die. Maybe something better will rise from the ashes.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

2k7 was actually the best hockey game. It had a dedicated button that sent all your forwards piling into the net so you could fire slappers from the point and score lots of crazy deflection goals.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hit a girl in Drop-In and got a penalty

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Enforcer D with Tight Turns, First Step, and Backhand Master is pretty solid in Ones

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

WHAT DID THESE loving IDIOTS DO TO THREES????????

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My expert opinion of NHL 20, as someone mostly interested in the CHEL modes:

Things fixable by tuners:
-Poke checks are obscenely overpowered
-Puck pickups are ridiculous (either like guaranteed if you just lost the puck, or entirely unreliable if you're trying to skate over a loose puck)
-Pass interception is insane (you still cannot easily make a 3 foot pass, but an opponent facing the opposite direction of you will snag that poo poo every time)
-Passing feels bad (short passing and passing to the point remain 2 of the least successful things you can try in the game)
-Hitting feels pretty weak unless you hit them dead center
-AI dominate games both in net and as skaters

Things not fixable by tuners:
-They've cultivated a playerbase of tryhard assholes
-Most CHEL modes have made it so even if you're playing drop-in, you might match against organized clubs, so you cannot escape the tryhard assholes
-What the poo poo did they do to the fun THREES(tm) mode (the tournament idea is whatever, but first to 7/one period in a game with +3 moneypucks is idiotic, and they've ruined drop-in matchmaking)

What this translates to for each CHEL mode:
-EASHL 6s is a total clusterfuck where you're basically encouraged to try skating through the other team yourself because your passes will get picked off, and if you get poke checked you're more likely than the defense to pick up the loose puck and keep going (or you get tripped). There's not enough open ice to really feel like the skating adjustments are worthwhile, it's just whip-quick possession changes until someone gets open for the same glitch goal that's been in since NHL 12 or gets a breakaway where they exploit how bad the goalies are short-side this year.

-EASHL 3s is probably the best CHEL mode this year, because you have space to skate and there aren't 8 sticks stretching out of nowhere to kill every passing attempt. But the bad passing means lots of missed passes and icings and blah. Due to the lower player count, an AI in this mode is way more noticeable as the behemoths they currently are, which also stinks.

-3s Eliminator took all the good things we wanted added this year (Club progression mostly, but they've improved rolling into new games with current players since you can now do that with pubbies you match up with) and then changed the fundamental gameplay and I hate it. Games used to be 3 periods with weird moneypucks and hilarious hits, but now it's first to 7/end of one single period. You don't get enough time to learn players so you can work with them/exploit them, the game is over one way or another by then and then it's back into the menus for more waiting as the game tries to find another team. Also the AI wreck poo poo in this mode, and you're almost guaranteed to have one in your games because it doesn't allow groups of 2 to matchmake with a 3rd random person.

-Ones Eliminator is mostly the same but with pokechecking so effective and hitting not, mostly it's games of danglers hanging outside stick range sweeping back and forth until they can the space for the abovementioned glitch goal or 90% effective deke

Positive CHEL changes:
-The weekly challenges are a decent way of getting people into game modes they normally wouldn't play
-In theory, drop-in matchmaking versus organized clubs helps prevent playerbase split
-Lists are fun

I've hated how NHL plays in HUT/Franchise/etc. for years so my opinion on my limited playtime of those modes is "more of the same, with some quality of life adjustments in the billion menus you deal with."

tldr: It's the least I've enjoyed the core gameplay of an NHL game probably ever, but maybe it'll be tolerable if they tune it properly (:lol: we know who they're getting their feedback from and it ain't your average hockey fan)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Like all NHL releases the menus load the same/worse and they added an extra layer where possible.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nice 3 month thread resurrection, you dope.

(NHL 20 is the worst game in the franchise, imho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

It (finally) has a new engine, so some new canned animations I guess.

It's a new engine but looks 95% like the game before. The skating looks jank, passing sucks, and the same glitch goals are back again. There's a menu narrator you literally cannot turn off without muting the master volume, and there's new in-game statistical graphics and stuff at the expense of cutting out a bunch of the instant replays you're probably used to (penalty replays, saves, etc.)

Yet somehow Madden has become the worst franchise of EA's sports offerings, so there's that I guess.