Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I skipped '17 so I'm trying out Be A Pro in '18. What I'm not having any clue how to do is play defense as a sniper center. I know what I would do for defense in real hockey, but I have no idea how to be effective in game. Instead of doing what I think I should be doing, I'll cover the person it tells me to cover, because if I don't I'll take huge exp penalties for not covering who the game wants. Sometimes I am covering that person and all of a sudden the arrow will change and there will be a goal in the same instant, so there's just really no way to win that scenario.

However, even with that said, I don't know what I'm supposed to do control-wise to actually cover someone. My skater in the CHL isn't nearly agile enough to do anything, and I skate significantly better in real life than my stupid game skater does, so basically the opposing players just wander around me, or they'll wander just out of my "area" which I get penalized if I leave.

So, my question is 1.) as a small sniper, how the hell do I effectively cover the CPU in the defensive zone? and 2.) Should I just flat out ignore what the stupid arrows are telling me and cover who I think I should cover? I'm coming solely from a "I want xp" angle here, as I can generally win the games regardless of playing effective defense, and my +/- is stupidly high. I still am curious how to actually play effective defense though because passes just seem to phase through me even if I was in position, or the skater will just inch past me so I'm out of position and my skater takes super long to get in position.

I'm fine at offense, it's just defense in this game that I have no idea what I should be doing to satisfy BAP's weird desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, I was struggling with this as well. As a winger, I'm provided a zone I'm supposed to cover. If I do the crouch block (L1 I think?) in that zone, and block a passing lane, I'll get exp, so I often do that. I then have to rely on my teams AI to prevent a goal, which it seldom does.
If you're covering the slot, you can press the X button to tie up the player, but I'm not really used to that yet, and it seems as soon as they get free they often are open to score a goal.

Most of my games have me doing the crouch block in front of the point man, to get exp, but I'm not sure if that's the same for a center position. Try the tie up function and see if that's effective.

Wait until you lose exp for not changing off in time, and/or also losing exp when changing off in a bad spot. That one really pisses me off. The coach (game) is telling me to change, then penalizes me for it (yes, I know I shouldn't change when were in a bad spot - ex. the other team has possession in my zone, or is on the rush), but more often than not, it's a "bad spot".

I hold my changes until I'd change in real life, and I rarely get penalized. You won't get penalized for staying out a really long time if you're in the defensive zone. You will get penalized if you stay too long in the offensive zone, which I've done a couple times because it situationally made sense for me to stay out there, but by and large I do OK with the line changes by just doing what I'd normally do. I do change early sometimes because it would make sense to and my dude was winded but I'm trying to stop doing that because coach throws me back out on the ice 5 seconds later. They need to be a bit more aggressive with line changes in general. The average shift time shouldn't be >1 minute.

Defensively it's a bit harder for the center since I need to constantly switch which side of the ice I'm responsible for based on where the puck is. In real life, I'd just pick a dude to cover and stay with them (or just cover a sensible spot) until it made sense to change, and my defense would react accordingly, whether I'm now on their dude and they cover mine, or whatever. In this you don't really have that luxury - if you're not on the person the game wants, regardless of if a D is moving to cover them, you get penalized. It's dumb. I have found that if I just kind of hang out in the middle and hold R1 and sweep my stick around a bit it seems to work OK and I get some points for doing that.

Edit: I also took a penalty once for being tied up with someone in front of my own net, it wasn't from using X and doing the stick tie thing, it was basically the reverse of what happens in the offensive zone that you break out of with L2, but this guy couldn't break away from me and I couldn't stop tying him up, so ended up with an interference penalty that I was pretty irked about. Also it's dumb for me to be penalized for "bad line defense" when my teammates aren't covering anyone and I am for once and they score a goal >:( But now I'm just getting ranty. I'm mostly enjoying this, I just wish there was a better way to level up skating rather than devoting 100% of off-ice training to it. 78 just isn't going to cut it in the NHL, and it's hard to get balance up too. Agility you can at least do spin moves, but aside from beating out icings, which is really tough, there seems to be no way to level up acceleration or speed or balance (maybe bouncing off checks?)

ssb fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 27, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Holy poo poo. So I finally got around to trying Versus with this and you can only rank up 1v1 now. Fuckin' lol. For years I've been playing this with my brothers when they're around during vacation and poo poo and we always had a blast climbing the ladder in it. But I can't even do that any more because now it's 1v1 or you can't even play.

That sucks a lot. Sorry to hear that :(

Ginette Reno posted:

It's not like playing 2 or 3v1 was even an advantage either because the AI defends better than a player ever could and if you know how to abuse that (like switching off while forechecking so the comp initiates pins, etc) then one good player always had an advantage against even a good 2 or 3 stack.

AI may be better at defense, but even when I played with my friend who barely played video game hockey but played hockey on the real-life same team as me, we'd rack up goals like no other because our offensive positioning was just 10x better than the AI on offense. I would say so much so that it doesn't even offset the potentially better defensive AI. I'd also say it's less "better AI" and more "better at stupid nuanced positioning that's hard to do with clumsy controls" and "better at vacuuming people in to be pinned at boards" both of which only get you so far against offensive players with competent positioning.

Still dumb though.

Ginette Reno posted:

EA is the worst man.

:agreed:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I had the most fun with NHL 2004 on the gamecube. I thought that one was pretty solid, and my roommate and I had a ton of fun making teams out of gimmick characters and playing against each other. Otherwise the early 2k games were really good too on the 360. 14 is good compared to the newer iteration of EA games, but it's not really good compared to the 2k games outside of the skill stick, which really was a big improvement on buttons.

The best EA game since 2004 was that 3v3 with the fun powerups that was on Xbox360 Arcade.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

What are the character options like for the female be a pro (or just in general for character creation)? Are they still down to 1-2 faces only for women?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

Poke checks are... interesting

I hear it's basically back to being the penalty button again. What always bugged me about that was I played hockey for years, I've got a pretty good idea how and when to poke check, but there's always either a delay or my player just goes for their skates instead of the puck. It doesn't really translate quite the same I don't think and I never really quite grasped when to use poke check in video game hockey vs actual hockey. I haven't been actually "good" at video game hockey since probably NHL 94.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I played a bit of the chel stuff because game was free on xbox but it looks like you pretty much have to play online with chel outside of the pro/am stuff which was almost entirely locked for me.

I was hoping to either just play AI or maybe do comp stomp with a friend or two, but it doesn't look like you can do that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The next generation of consoles are due to be released in 2020. NHL 20 and 21 are going to be bare bones roster updates while they focus on making any significant changes for PS5 and the new Xbox.

Hopefully. Last time they were making reasonable updates in 13 and 14 and then 15 came out on ps4/xbone completely unfinished and they never really did catch features up with what previous gen had.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

New one is out, I guess. I haven't bought one since 18, is this one less poo poo and not absent of features anyone actually wants?

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 18, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Any improvement in Be A Pro (or whatever the mode is where you create a player and have a career from juniors or whatever) that makes it less poo poo?

Edit: gently caress it I'll buy it and take a look and hope for the best and probably wonder why I bothered

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 18, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

change your sliders for a more fun and enjoyable experience

I have similar complaints and was not able to fix them with sliders. I could help the way-too-precise passing aim, but I couldn't fix the ai defense being what they are nor my teammates playing like twats. Nor could I fix my goalie having a save percentage of 50% most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The only good thing they did is put Sarah Nurse on the cover. Game is undoubtedly poo poo, last year's was a waste of money.

I wish I still had my gamecube and NHL 2004, that was fun in college.