Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction:
Dun care~
Furi...... Curi??????
Forehead boner
gently caress YEEEEAAAAAAH THE PIIIIIIILLOOOOOOWS B)
View Results

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

DrSunshine posted:

I have to confess... the truth is... I've rewatched FLCL like 6 times over the years since I saw it in high school and I've never really, like, liked it or "got" it the same way other people did. I dunno. I tried to, but I guess it's just not for me, in the end. v:shobon:v

But that being said, I enjoy the animation style and I really respect it for what it is. I'll definitely be checking this out when it airs, but I'm skeptical if it'll be able to recapture that strange, undefinable je-ne-sais-quoi that marked the first one as something truly unique on the anime landscape.

I hated FLCL when I originally watched it. I thought the great music and animation was utterly wasted on a stupid and nonsensical plot. Admittedly I was younger and dumber but I hated it so much I didn't think I'd ever bother watching it again.

It wasn't until I read this: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/flcl-fooly-cooly-66724 that I finally got it. After reading this I rewatched the show, and on rewatching it all made so much more sense, and I now rate FLCL very highly as an anime. It's the first time that reading about something I watched actually changed my opinion of it.

That said, it's a series that did not/does not need a sequel. Happy if it spawns a great OST at least, but don't have high hopes they'll capture lightning in a bottle twice in row.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

DrSunshine posted:

But this is really helpful! I'll try reading this article and see.

Cool. Let me know what you think and if it causes anything to go 'click' in your head. Note that they have an article for each episode, not just the first.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean it's not even subtle about it, it's literally called 'The Curse of Eva' and causes the teenage characters to not age despite the timeskip but it's t never really explained in anyway other than that.

Or it could be a badly-written excuse not to age some of the most iconic characters out of their hot, hot 14-year-old looks. Not gonna get those sweet otaku bucks if Asuka looks like an adult!

Seriously, any "why?" raised by Evangelion 3.33 can be answered with "because the writing is very poor"

• Locked thread