Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction:
Dun care~
Furi...... Curi??????
Forehead boner
gently caress YEEEEAAAAAAH THE PIIIIIIILLOOOOOOWS B)
View Results

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I have to confess... the truth is... I've rewatched FLCL like 6 times over the years since I saw it in high school and I've never really, like, liked it or "got" it the same way other people did. I dunno. I tried to, but I guess it's just not for me, in the end. v:shobon:v

But that being said, I enjoy the animation style and I really respect it for what it is. I'll definitely be checking this out when it airs, but I'm skeptical if it'll be able to recapture that strange, undefinable je-ne-sais-quoi that marked the first one as something truly unique on the anime landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Relin posted:

watching something 6 times through, even if it is just 6 episodes, means you liked it

Well... no. Look, I tried really hard to "get" it because like all my friends really enjoyed it, and I wanted to understand what it was that they liked so much about it. But I found that I was kind of bored and extremely confused every single time!

Soul Reaver posted:

I hated FLCL when I originally watched it. I thought the great music and animation was utterly wasted on a stupid and nonsensical plot. Admittedly I was younger and dumber but I hated it so much I didn't think I'd ever bother watching it again.

It wasn't until I read this: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/flcl-fooly-cooly-66724 that I finally got it. After reading this I rewatched the show, and on rewatching it all made so much more sense, and I now rate FLCL very highly as an anime. It's the first time that reading about something I watched actually changed my opinion of it.

That said, it's a series that did not/does not need a sequel. Happy if it spawns a great OST at least, but don't have high hopes they'll capture lightning in a bottle twice in row.

But this is really helpful! I'll try reading this article and see.

• Locked thread