Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Takuan posted:

Tatsumi Fujinami(c) vs Dynamite Kid for the WWF Junior Heavyweight Title
February 5, 1980. Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

I remember really enjoying this match, and also being taken about how modern it feels. My first exposure to Dynamite was as part of the British Bulldogs in the 80s for WWF, so its really fun to see him during that time period where he proved such an influence on the likes of Benoit and later Daniel Bryan.

Stan Hansen is going to be a real treat :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I cannot recommend highly enough that everybody in the world go watch (or rewatch!) Andre the Giant vs Stan Hansen, holy gently caress is it an amazing match. It's like they're natural enemies in the wild or something, Stan sees Andre and just goes crazy and starts assaulting him and the action just never lets up the whole way through. It's chaotic and enthralling and entertaining as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That sell-job is loving awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

So, this referee that’s been in a few of these matches that I can’t find a great image of. The first time I got a good look at him I thought ‘Man, He looks just like a fat Katsuyori Shibata’. I looked up who he was and it turns out he’s Katsuhisa Shibata, Katsuyori Shibata’s dad.

No loving way :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

Next on the list: It’s Vader Time!

It's time? IT'S TIME!?!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love the delay between the catch, the slow beginning of the fall and then the way he twists him around. Makes it feel more natural than staged.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn do I love watching Bam Bam doing rolls. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ditch posted:

-Andre vs Killer Khan, April 1, 1982: http://theditch.us/AndreVsKhan4-1-82.avi

Andre drinking a beer after the match is fantastic. Mobile, relatively young Andre is also utterly terrifying.

Takuan posted:

That's one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips.

It's up there with the very first Peanuts strip as one of my all time favorites :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

The match starts with Andre not giving a gently caress.

I liked this bit:

See if I was his opponent, at this point I'd just start crying and ask the ref if I could go home.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

Vader vs Stan Hansen:circlefap:

Oh hell yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reporter: Wow Mr. Hansen, the way you were hitting Vader out there, you must really hate him!
Stan: That was Vader in there!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's weird to see "Punisher" Dice Morgan hitting some of the signature stuff he would do in his later Undertaker years - like it's the same guy and everything is there, it just feels off somehow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God Stan rules so much. "gently caress your sunset flip, I'm sitting down on you and punching you in the goddamn face."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

It’s not the legendary “Muta Scale Match”, but it still gets pretty bloody.

Jesus Christ it looks like he cut his throat :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh good, was worried you'd abandoned this, I've been enjoying following along :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Weird to see you so unimpressed by Finlay, though to be fair I feel like he is a guy who got better and better as he aged.

Takuan posted:

Seriously one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen in pro-wrestling.

I highly doubt that :smug: Why I've seen so many great things I doubt this will impre-

I stand corrected!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahh, I love being reminded that Kensuke Sasaki exists, that glorious tree of a man :allears:

The Flair/Fujinami story never fails to fascinate, it's just so weird to think of anything similar ever happening today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn there's nothing quite as fun as watching a catch into a German Suplex

Takuan posted:

After a couple minutes, the hardcam lazily zoomed out and stayed there for about two minutes.

NJPW are so ahead of their time they were already practicing the Rainmaker zoom-out!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Hiroshi Hase is somebody I know next to nothing about but from the looks of it he was pretty great.

Plus, you know, it's possible he was just Cesaro before he lost all the hair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seeing Nash actually move and put in effort like that is a complete mindfuck. I don't think I've ever seen him do anything like that before :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have the opposite reaction, perhaps because I knew that Chono's neck was hosed up by it before first seeing it, but it looks absolutely brutal when he hits it.

Maybe Chono would have been okay if he'd gone straight in to have it looked at, the fact he kept on fighting for the rest of the year probably completely hosed it up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That backwards jumping Elbow Drop is pretty great, and it looks like by turning in midair there isn't really an issue with not being able to see, I wonder why it isn't really used by anyone any more? Was it more dangerous/difficult to pull off than it looked?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That Liger/Ultimo Dragon match looks like the bees knees

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It looked pretty bad this time around I thought, though like Takuan said it may have been intentionally aimed at hitting him to get a receipt so didn't look as smooth as usual.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

After the pinfall, fans throw seat cushions into the ring in celebration. Man, I wish that still was a thing.

A couple of years back when Suzuki-Gun was on hiatus in NOAH, apparently the fans set fire to seat cushions and were throwing them at the ring after some Suzuki-Gun interference? If I recall correctly people at the time reported that they weren't so much mad as they just thought it would be a cool throwback thing to do.

Oh Japan :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tenryu NOT being the broken down old man in the match is a bit of a head-trip nowadays.

Takuan posted:

The Great Muta vs Hulk Hogan

Oh poo poo!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

Then this happens:

I missed this whole post. Oh my God.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still getting over the glut of the G1 (and Stardom's 5 Star Grand Prix has started) but please keep this up, it's really cool seeing you work your way through these.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My first exposure to Scott Norton was as a background guy/Lieutenant in the NWO so it was a hell of an eye-opener to see his New Japan stuff (similar to Doctor Death Steve Williams).

Takuan posted:

Next time, I'll finally cover the even I've been waiting this whole time to cover: The 1994 Super J Cup!:dance:

Oh gently caress yes :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takuan posted:

Black Tiger vs Wild Pegasus .

Hell. loving. yes.

It still blows my mind to think this stuff was going on in 94. I had stopped watching wrestling for a little while around this period but even if I'd have been able to watch it I wouldn't have been able to believe my eyes compared to what I grew up on with WWF.